Manchester United Women | Squad Announcement

RedPamie

Okay, so now that the excitement died down a little, I can say... Pheeww (like Alexis did when he got inside OT ;)

It's crazy. We're at tier 2 but we managed to sign Alex Greenwood, Katie Zelem, Ella Toone, Lauren James... and Ebony Salmon.

Alex Greenwood and Katie Zelem probably the most famous names along with Sio C and Amy T. No wonder they put these four in first interview. The fact that all are former Liverpool players makes it sweet indeed. :devil:

Villa fans rated Ebony highly. City even scouted her. Then Lauren James, as in KM's post, Arsenal fans are baffled why club let her go to us.

Millie Turner also good addition, along with ex Belles duo, Hanson and Sigsworth! To think wow we have a nice squad!

MrPooni

Reading up on things we've done a blinding job with our recruitment – we've signed some proper gems. I was a little worried that we might struggle in our first season being a brand new team and all but on paper this team should take the division by storm.

Andersons Dietician

Going to try and get down for a few games, would be amazing if they get some manic support. Samba drums, face paint the whole 9 yards.

That Lauren James goal vs Slovakia. Good on her but jesus the defending. Away to go text my arsenal supporting mate and rub this in his face tho just for good measure.

Dudu

Never thought I'd be as interested in this as I am. Brilliant to see us taking this seriously with the new squad acquisitions.

For those wondering, the 2018/19 season kicks off with the Continental Tyres Cup (essentially the 'league cup') on 18th August.

The main FA Women's Championship (Tier 2 Women's football) starts on 8th September.

Would be great if their matches are streamed live on YouTube.. any chance of that happening?
Sadly as BT holds the rights for this, I doubt this will ever happen. Which is a real shame, because the Club could have live streamed games straight from United's Youtube account - generating even more interest in the process. Hopefully they will air a few of the United games on TV.

Reactions: Varun

We need an rvn

just showed my 9 year old daughter the video and she's never been as excited about football as she is now. I'm really excited about this for her, as well as United as a club!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
just showed my 9 year old daughter the video and she's never been as excited about football as she is now. I'm really excited about this for her, as well as United as a club!
There's a lovely quote from Casey Stoney about this kind of reaction, that really struck me:
"There’s no timeline. Our legacy, and I said this to the players, is to ‘make sure my two little girls grow up wanting to be you’.”

Sylar

Yeah its nice that the club has a womens team again. It will allow all who dream to put on the United kit and play for the team an actual chance, not just the men.

Surprised how United got some of these names.

We need an rvn

There's a lovely quote from Casey Stoney about this kind of reaction, that really struck me:
"There’s no timeline. Our legacy, and I said this to the players, is to ‘make sure my two little girls grow up wanting to be you’.”
It's not until I had a daughter and a few years ago that I realised how hard it was for a girl to really get into football as much as they could into athletics, tennis etc. The idols we see as men for football on TV were just not there for young girls. In England the game just really hasn't been publicised as much as it has the last year or so.

The fact the channels are showing England on tv and now United, who my daughter knows I love, have a women's team has already had an impact as she wants to join the Lewes women's club. Brilliant and glad United are finally involved again

AndyMUFC

Sounds like we've done a great job with recruitment. Some pretty big names for this level combined with youth for the future. A good mix.

peridigm

I love watching woman’s matches. I presume they will be on MUTV?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I love watching woman’s matches. I presume they will be on MUTV?
BT has exclusive streaming rights to the WSL but there were some games on BBC red button and Facebook apparently. Don't know if that applies to the Championship too but I doubt there'll be much opportunity to see games outside of the Women's FA Cup and YouTube highlights.

NoPace

That Lauren James goal vs Slovakia. Good on her but jesus the defending. Away to go text my arsenal supporting mate and rub this in his face tho just for good measure.
Yeah, when you go to a Women's game the goalkeeping and defending in the box/aerially (positionally it's mostly solid at high levels) is well below the quality of midfield and attacking play. Not bad for entertainment, but definitely something that's different about the women's game compared to most of the Men's game. Kind of reminds one of the physically smaller nations that are technically solid and have some attacking flair at a World Cup but struggle with deep defending and to find solid goalkeepers, like Japan or the Saudis.

RedPamie

BT has exclusive streaming rights to the WSL but there were some games on BBC red button and Facebook apparently. Don't know if that applies to the Championship too but I doubt there'll be much opportunity to see games outside of the Women's FA Cup and YouTube highlights.
ManUtd.com :
Selected games will be broadcast live on MUTV. They will also show regular features on the women's team.

Also came across this
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...e-launch-of-the-manchester-united-women-squad

A 5am start, boxing, a gruelling morning of pre-season training and an eight-hour media session: it’s all in a day’s work for Manchester United’s women’s team.

The 21-strong squad - who only met as a group for the first time last week - arrive in Stretford after training for the club media day, ready to don the world famous red kit for the first time as United players.
I like that the club takes this seriously. We got Head Coach, Assistant Coach, GK Coach and Performance Coach, the latter we pounced her from City. Anyone knows what a performance coach does?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
ManUtd.com :
Selected games will be broadcast live on MUTV. They will also show regular features on the women's team.

Also came across this
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...e-launch-of-the-manchester-united-women-squad

I like that the club takes this seriously. We got Head Coach, Assistant Coach, GK Coach and Performance Coach, the latter we pounced her from City. Anyone knows what a performance coach does?
I'd guess that's the physical performance coach, sometimes described as "strength and conditioning". So fitness training, post-match recovery, injury rehab program. They'll link into the sports science department. Poaching good experienced people from our neighbours is always welcome.

Incidentally I had a dig around and found the job description/recruitment ad from United. It's a long read, but interesting - if you like seeing inside the mechanism!
Physical performance coach

The_Order

MUTV will at the very least have more diverse content...not that I watch it

RedPamie

I'd guess that's the physical performance coach, sometimes described as "strength and conditioning". So fitness training, post-match recovery, injury rehab program. They'll link into the sports science department. Poaching good experienced people from our neighbours is always welcome.

Incidentally I had a dig around and found the job description/recruitment ad from United. It's a long read, but interesting - if you like seeing inside the mechanism!
Physical performance coach
Thanks jojojo! It's different than a men's team. I expect United as a big club in England, of course everything is professional. Good that they want as professional as they can be from the get go.

About Elle Turner, our performance coach, turned out she also started her career at United. United having a women's senior team is like a dream come true for not only players but everyone wanting to get involved in this project!

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Very young midfield.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
For people with the knowledge, what would you say the strongest starting 11 is?
I'm not sure anyone can answer that really - the squad's young, some of the players have high potential, almost anyone could have a breakthrough season, or a setback in terms of fitting in at a new club. While a lot of us have seen the England players in action and are familiar at some level with players like Zelem, I don't think many of us have seen the younger ones - we're relying on third party reports and the odd bit of youtube footage.

Guessing then, it looks like the starting line-ups at the beginning of the season will probably more or less be a list of our oldest players. Old being a relative term here - we're talking about some of the 20/22 year olds as being amongst our most experienced.

RedPamie

About squad numbers, I think it's more or less confirmed. Official site posted similar numbers. There's no #5 in it so I guess it's official? Saw some players posted their squad numbers and matched the information we got so far.

Grande

Squad numbers. As yet unconfirmed by the club.

I do think age as well as squad numbers are an indication of who’ll be likely starters this season, at least adding what I know of the players.

I’ll be surprised if we (barring injuries) don’t see 1 Chamberlaine, 2 Harris, 3 Greenwood, 4 Turner, 8 Green, 9 Sigsworth, 10 Zelem and 11 Galton in the first line-ups.

For a numbers/history-fetschist like me, it’s interesting seeing that it appears they are following the old numbering tradition when alotting numbers. RB 2, LB 3, Turner as a CB is 4, Green attacking CM is 8 and Zelem 10, left winger Galton 11 and striker Sigsworth 9.

Makes me curious to see former Man Utd graduate Ella Toon don the no 7 at age 18...