Manchester United Women | Squad Announcement

0le

Why are we signing players from Liverpool :nono:

:mad::mad::mad:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Fran Bentley, Kirsty Hanson, Naomi Hartley, Emily Ramsey, Ella Toone, Millie Turner, Katie Zelem all started in the United academy. All signed back!
How old is the girl with Rio? She looks like a kid.

Is there a youth/reserves/first squad system or just main squad only?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Same :lol:

I want to know how I fare in this speculation! I know we only have to wait a few days :devil:, but here goes..

Siobhan Chamberlain GK
Emily Ramsey GK
Alex Greenwood LB
Kirsty Hanson - Forward
Mollie Green - Forward
Aimee Palmer - Midfielder
Leah Galton - Forward
Lizzie Arnot - Midfielder/Forward
Kirsty Smith - RB
Amy Turner - CB
Martha Harris - Defender
Millie Turner - Midfielder
Lucy Roberts - Defender
Ella Toone - Forward
Katie Zelem - Midfielder
Lauren James - Midfielder
Ebony Salmon - Forward
Naomi Hartley - Defender

Chelsea Weston - Defender

And maybe Jessica Sigsworth
:devil:
Not mentioned: Fran Bentley, Charlie Devlin

Well done! Nearly every predicted name right.

Damien

Staff
How old is the girl with Rio? She looks like a kid.

Is there a youth/reserves/first squad system or just main squad only?
I think at the moment we have the U16s and the first team squad. That might change in future seasons as the current U16s get older so there's a pathway to the first team.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Yeah, he’s Sammon (that was the joke gif)

He had my all time favourite footballer nickname. He used to play for UCD (university affiliated team) and ended up being called “The Sammon of College” (niche Irish humour tbf)
I'm still coming to terms with the fact that Wigan Athletic borrowed Reece James on loan and transferred Reece James to Sunderland. Only one of the Reece Jameses is related to Lauren James though.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I know nothing about any of them, but good to see the team finally announced. From looking at the squad summary, it appears we have a fair few experienced internationals scatters among the defence and mid, and then more youth going forward. Hopefully they gel together and can hit the ground running.

Any idea how we compare on paper to other teams in our league?

mav_9me

Now I am all excited and want to watch their games. Hopefully MUTV will have some live and some highlights.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Wow some signing for us.

RedPamie

Alex Greenwood sounds so scouse. Never mind, lots of United youth there to teach her how to say, "y'alright?" :lol:
I had a hard time understanding what Alex Greenwood said in that video :lol:

@jojojo Are you happy with how United unveiled the team? I am! Our marketing team is great :devil:

@Damien, I wasn't sure about some names but suddenly last night and this morning those players announced they're leaving their clubs. I'm actually surprised that Millie Turner and Ebony Salmon signed for us.

izec

I am excited. If the season doesnt go how we imagined, there is women football to look up to.

Bogga

Where are they gonna play? How much people usually watch the top teams play in england?

MiceOnMeth

Would be great if their matches are streamed live on YouTube.. any chance of that happening?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Where are they gonna play? How much people usually watch the top teams play in england?
They're eventually going to play at The Cliff, but for now they'll be at Leigh Sports Village.

This article from the BBC from last year compares ticket prices for the top women's teams - it's not a lot at all compared with the men's game!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41486234

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Our GK, Siobhan Chamberlain, apparently played with with manager Casey Stoney for Chelsea and England. I'm assuming that makes her an important figure in the dressing room along with the captain.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
For those familiar with them, haven seen the squad, where do you expect us to finish?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I had a hard time understanding what Alex Greenwood said in that video :lol:

@jojojo Are you happy with how United unveiled the team? I am! Our marketing team is great :devil:

@Damien, I wasn't sure about some names but suddenly last night and this morning those players announced they're leaving their clubs. I'm actually surprised that Millie Turner and Ebony Salmon signed for us.
It seemed like the right kind of launch to me. It's a big lump of information to deliver in one hit, but I understand why they went for that approach.

I like the look of the squad. Not because I can compare it directly to our rivals, but because it seems to do what we said we would - focus on youth, create a path for our own players, and yet assemble something with enough proven players to be competitive. Since the press said that Casey would be getting the manager's job, I've felt comfortable that United intended to take this seriously and this is what I was hoping for.

Getting a player like Alex Greenwood in and bringing Zelem back seem like a message that the players think we're serious as well. It's nice to get a bit of surprise poaching done of course, and not just from Liverpool - Lauren James is a lucky break I guess (with her brother on loan at Wigan) but maybe it's fate!

I love some of the quirky information in the bios that are going up as well, like:
Lucy Roberts
U17 international and coming across from Liverpool. Her great great grandad – Charlie Roberts was the first-ever captain to lead the Manchester United team out at Old Trafford. :devil:

Damien

Staff
What is pretty cool is at least four of the youngest played together for England U17s: http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/oct/...st-round-qualifier-england-10-0-latvia-141017

14 Oct 2017 England 10-0 Latvia

England (4-3-3): Fran Bentley (Manchester City), Phoebe Williams (Southampton), Lucy Roberts (Liverpool), Abbie Roberts (MK Dons), Asmita Ale (Aston Villa), Aimee Everett (Liverpool), Jessica Park (York City), Hannah Griffin (FC Saarbrucken), Lauren James (capt; Arsenal), Ebony Salmon (Aston Villa), Paige Bailey-Gayle (Arsenal).

Players in bold now ours - James scored 4 goals and Salmon scored 1.

James goal from another game:

Damien

Staff
For those familiar with them, haven seen the squad, where do you expect us to finish?
Doubt any of us will be familiar but just from looking at the stats for last season (shit way to judge, I know), we've got a side that should be challenging to win the second division.

http://www.fawsl.com/playerStats.html#jZibuOo6TAidS8o9.97

From the top scorers last season for Division 2, we have #2 Jessica Sigworth (12 goals in 18 apps), #3 Kirsty Hanson (10 goals in 18 apps), #5 Charlotte Devlin (9 goals in 18 apps) and #11 Ebony Salmon (7 goals in 12 apps).

Greenwood and Zelem are real coups with the former an England international and the latter coming from Juventus who had just won Serie A and qualified for the Women's Champions League (helps that she had been here for nearly a decade as a youngster).

This article will probably help. Risk is probably how well will so many new players gel together but a fair few know each other from various clubs as well as on an international level too.

The best teams from last season seem to have either been gutted of some of their best players (some coming to us), or promoted/relegated.