Manchester United's Chief Scout and Head of Global Scouting have left the club

Pickle85

Call me cynical but it doesn't seem a coincidence that this comes out the day after the Liverpool shitshow.

crossy1686

career ending
Worth buying the UWS mag because this was hinted in there like 2 or 3 months ago.

Hopefully Murtough and Fletcher are connected and smart enough to hire replacements who will sort the scouting out. The scouting has been a joke for nearly 10 years.
People give Mitten shit but he's as clued up as anyone when it comes to inside knowledge

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Call me cynical but it doesn't seem a coincidence that this comes out the day after the Liverpool shitshow.
To be honest, most fans don't give a feck. If it was the ETH announcement, I'd be more inclined to agree.

SuperiorXI

Good. Our scouts are either fecking shite or don't get listened to.

A 9 year old child could have identified the targets we have gone for recently.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
By the sounds of the article it’s a mutual decision for them to step down. I think we can all agree that our recruitment has been shambolic for a while. How much that has to do with Lawlor or Bout is up for debate, as we don’t really know how often the scouts were listened to. I assume the club is looking at this as an opportunity to improve on an area we’ve been dire in for a while. Seems like a summer of change, whether that’s for better or worse remains to be seen.
People give Mitten shit but he's as clued up as anyone when it comes to inside knowledge
I think people confuse Mitten and Delaney quite often, Mitten is definitely worth listening to.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Let's not get too excited, we don't know who is coming in.

I wonder if Rangnick has influenced this

Cloud7

Well someone needed to be gotten rid of for scouting 800 right backs and then deciding on AWB, or for not presenting a viable alternative to Maguire at a world record fee

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Change is clearly needed considering the way our recruitment has gone. But none of us will ever know for sure if the scouts are to blame or the people above them. I remember reading an article years ago that our scouts thought Darmian was useless but LVG went ahead and signed him anyway.
Yep. As with the Mourinho example I mentioned above, the willingness of the club to sign players outside its own scouting process (whatever that was) was part of the problem.

People often say the manager needs to have control, which is true in that no signings should be made that aren't green lit by the manager. But the manager shouldn't have a separate recruitment stream of their own. No signings should be made unless the scouting team recommends them too and if that means vetoing the manager then that's fine. Better to miss out on good players than waste time and money on bad ones.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What makes you think Rangnick had anything to do with this?

It was Murtough.

The moves will be seen as a moment of change in United’s scouting structure and will attempt to streamline an operation which critics have said has become too top heavy.

John Murtough has full control of the football operations and has driven some of the changes as he seeks to help turn Manchester United around.

Key to those changes will be the appointment of Erik Ten Hag, who has reached an agreement in principle to become their next permanent manager, as The Athletic revealed earlier this month.

But hey, Murtough's shite according to the CAF anyway......
Rangnick spent the last week trashing our recruitment, saying we’ve got it completely wrong. He’s also spoken about numerous players he has recommended and our scouts had absolutely no idea about.

Murtough has a good relationship with and trusts Rangnick’s opinion. It’s not a stretch to infer that Rangnick has been listened to here as it aligns with what he’s been saying publicly.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

It was Murtough.

The moves will be seen as a moment of change in United’s scouting structure and will attempt to streamline an operation which critics have said has become too top heavy.

John Murtough has full control of the football operations and has driven some of the changes as he seeks to help turn Manchester United around.

Key to those changes will be the appointment of Erik Ten Hag, who has reached an agreement in principle to become their next permanent manager, as The Athletic revealed earlier this month.

I don’t know how people have made their mind up on Murtough already, he’s only just getting started really.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Haha me too. What does he do exactly? What is his credentials?
I'm gonna keep saying this until I'm blue in the face.

Fletcher has all the credentials necessary to do the job he's been hired to do, having played for the club for many years.

His role is to bridge the gap between the youth team and the first team, identify players who have the right mindset to play for the club in first team capacity. It is also his job to also identify if players we are looking to purchase as a transfer from another team for the first team if they too have the right mindset for the first team. That's his role.

Literally no one else from outside the club can do this role other than ex-players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

It was Murtough.

Murtough relies heavily on Ralf's views. Athletic have reported he holds Ralf in high esteem and wants to lean on his expertise when he joined.

crossy1686

career ending
By the sounds of the article it’s a mutual decision for them to step down. I think we can all agree that our recruitment has been shambolic for a while. How much that has to do with Lawlor or Bout is up for debate, as we don’t really know how often the scouts were listened to. I assume the club is looking at this as an opportunity to improve on an area we’ve been dire in for a while. Seems like a summer of change, whether that’s for better or worse remains to be seen.

I think people confuse Mitten and Delaney quite often, Mitten is definitely worth listening to.
:lol: Mutual decision! "So we spent £160m on Maguire and Pogba on your recommendations. I think we all agree it's best if you leave now."

That's just the way it works, the management go first when things go to shit and the new management clear out the guys that got the old management sacked. I think we all need to hear these stories though, at the moment there's no desire to come back next season unless there's massive change.

Definitely agree with that, Mitten's UWS podcast is also a great listen.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I don’t know how people have made their mind up on Murtough already, he’s only just getting started really.
People have their agendas. He only gained power once Richard Arnold took over from Woodward. And this is another positive sign that Arnold is willing to listen to the football people at the club and actually make changes.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Obviously the timing is to deflect from last night but absolutely the correct decision to remove these people from the club. Surely they were involved in greenlighting both the Maguire and Wan-Bissaka signings, that enough warrants losing their jobs.

crossy1686

career ending
Well someone needed to be gotten rid of for scouting 800 right backs and then deciding on AWB, or for not presenting a viable alternative to Maguire at a world record fee
You could throw any name out there to be fair and someone should be fired for 90% of our signings in the last 7 years

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Murtough relies heavily on Ralf's views. Athletic have reported he holds Ralf in high esteem and wants to lean on his expertise when he joined.
Of course but Murtough is also highly regarded within the game himself. He may have listened to Ralf but ultimately the decision rests with Murtough.

Hoping this opens the door to Mr Mitchell or someone of that ilk.
I'm hoping Mitchell gets the role he's more suited to, such as the deputy DOF alongside Murtough. Notice it's a deputy role and not an understudy such as an assistant.

L1nk

There was a solid rumour last week Fletch is off at the end of the season, so we'll see.
Where was this? Surely he wouldn't be so involved with the manager interviews and such if he was off

diarm

I still don't understand why "Chief Scout" and "Head of Global Scouting" were 2 different positions.

If you ever wanted a diagram to depict too many cooks spoiling the broth, it would be a picture of the United organisational structure.

IrishRedDevil

Ex head scout is said to be devastated, as his job to watch ONLY premier league games has ended. He will now sit at home and watch premier league games.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Despite the shitshow we've had to endure this season, it feels like the stars are aligning for something good next season and beyond. Just hope they get things right.

crossy1686

career ending
Where was this? Surely he wouldn't be so involved with the manager interviews and such if he was off
I think it's his decision, not the clubs. I think he see's himself as a coach moving forward. It was on Twitter so take it with a truck load of salt