Manucho watch

redender

Wannabe Manc
Panathinaikos play Rangers away on Wednesday night, Manucho has been enlisted in their UEFA Squad in time.

Does anyone know if he will be inlvolved? He didn't play at weekend... Interesting to see they have signed Helder Postiga too.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Panathinaikos play Rangers away on Wednesday night, Manucho has been enlisted in their UEFA Squad in time.

Does anyone know if he will be inlvolved? He didn't play at weekend... Interesting to see they have signed Helder Postiga too.
Excellent. Be great to see him up against a Champion's League defence. Hard not to wonder whether his goals in the ACN were mainly due to poor defending.

Do you know if he was in their squad in time for last weekend's game? Hopefully it was just a case of needing a few days to get a look at him, before giving him a start.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Man Utd's Manucho must wait for UEFA Cup chance

Manchester United striker signing Manucho Goncalves must wait to make his European debut.

The Daily Record says the Angola star, who has joined Panathinaikos on-loan for the rest of the season, will be left behind in Athens for his new club's UEFA Cup clash with Rangers.

Manucho will not be risked for the tie against Walter Smith's men as he has not yet even trained with his new teammates at Panathinaikos.

The 24-year-old signed a three-year deal at Old Trafford from Angolan side Petro Atheltico after impressing on a three-week trial in December but because of work-permit issues in the UK he was immediately sent to the Greek outfit on loan for the rest of the season.

Manucho enhanced his reputation as a rising star in football with a dynamic display of goalscoring in the Africa Cup in Ghana.

He scored the opener in Angola's first game against South Africa last month and struck a further two against Senegal in a 3-1 win.

A goal followed in the 2-1 loss to eventual winners Egypt although his 25-yard effort has been described as the goal of the tournament.

Daily Record

Paddy

paddyf091
Excellent. Be great to see him up against a Champion's League defence. Hard not to wonder whether his goals in the ACN were mainly due to poor defending.

Do you know if he was in their squad in time for last weekend's game? Hopefully it was just a case of needing a few days to get a look at him, before giving him a start.
For some of his goals that may have been the case, but considering egypt won the tournament and had the best keeper there, his wondergoal against them seems pretty special

Pogue Mahone

For some of his goals that may have been the case, but considering egypt won the tournament and had the best keeper there, his wondergoal against them seems pretty special
It was an awesome goal, alright. And I don't think there's a defence in the world that could have kept it out. Still, it was one of those "could go anywhere" shots, I'd still like to see how he copes against a really tight, disciplined defence.

w'or bobby

The Egypt defence he scored his 25 yard screamer against gave up 4 goals in 5 games and held Drogba and Eto'o off the score-sheet.
They were well disciplined and kept their shape, were brave and strong in the tackle.
I think we may well see good things from the boy.

ByronSteve

Manucho will not be arriving here in Athens until Thursday now as he has not got his visa through yet. He was supposed to fly in today but this has been delayed due to the hold up with the visa.

davisjw

The real question is how he does with some actual midfielders behind him giving him good distribution and support. The lad pretty much carried his team during the African Cup.

Suddenly Panathinaikos games are starting to look watchable...

Pogue Mahone

are we allowed to talk about streams on this forum?

(If not, why not? Because, in that case, by "streams" I simply mean those bodies of water that are smaller than rivers but larger than puddles. What else would I be talking about?)
Streams, you say.

I think we can talk about them. Just no links.

And that's a good idea. Does Greek footy get streamed?

davisjw

Don't think you can mention them but that's for the mods to decide- seeing as you're only saying WHAT you would do to see them rather then HOW you would see them, you should be alright... But in any case, ^ what he said (oops two posts up now)...

Jens' Face

An Arse
Streams, you say.
Does Greek footy get streamed?
It depends, but sometimes yes. I don't know quite how to share my information about nature (streams, forests, meadows, etc.) without getting in trouble with national geographic, but people should feel free to pm me.

Mods, this is always the case: if you feel I've said anything inappropriate, please (a) edit/delete my post; (b) let me know so I won't do it in the future; and (c) start a thread about how good Adebayor got all of a sudden.

gerrydaly

Praying to have a guy on top of him
Bit late, and no Manucho anyway, but the Rangers match turned up on BBC 1 Scotland/Sky Ch. 971.

Goalless after 56 mintues fyi.

redender

Wannabe Manc
Can also watch it on BBC Sport player (if like me you've been banished for Location, Location, Location!)

Hopefully he'll be involved in the second leg, not been impressed with Pana going forward. Then again they do have their best 2 forwards on the bench.

Pogue Mahone

Sir Alex To Re-Apply For Manucho Permit

Recent Manchester United acquisition has been farmed out to Panathinaikos due to his being denied a UK work permit, but Sir Alex Ferguson is eager to try again soon.

Angolan striker Manucho will spend the next few months in Greece with Panathinaikos after being refused a British work permit, but Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson holds out hope that the ex-Petro Atletico man will pull on the red shirt sooner rather than later.

He told the Manchester Evening News, "Given that he played for Angola and did so well at the African Nations Cup, we will re-apply for his work permit in the summer and hopefully next year he could play for us."

Under United Kingdom rules, work permits do not have to be granted to players who do not play in 75% or more of their national team's matches over a two-year period.

Only in exceptional circumstances will permits be granted for such players, with Manucho being turned down for his.

However, the player himself remains upbeat, saying, "It is a pleasure hearing all this from someone as experienced as Alex Ferguson. If things turn out favourably, I will do my best to score as many as I can."

Manucho, 24, managed four goals at the Africa Cup of Nations in Ghana.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=585443

I had mistakenly thought it was a foregone conclusion that he could sign for us in the summer. Which was a bit silly, to be fair, I was completely overlooking the "75% of games over two years" clause needed to get a work permit.

That was the main reason, I think, why Chelsea had Alex on their books for two whole seasons before he got clearance to play in the UK.

Looks like we need Manucho to make a serious impact in Greece and qualify as a "special talent" or we won't see him at United until 2010 :(

Ekeke

To be fair, it would be stupid not to consider him a special talent already on the back of his performances in the ACN.

Pogue Mahone

To be fair, it would be stupid not to consider him a special talent already on the back of his performances in the ACN.
You'd have to think so, wouldn't you?

But if we're going down that route why not apply straight away?

How are a few months at Panathanaikos gonna strengthen our case? In fact, if he doesn't settle there and doesn't get his game, isn't that gonna make our case even more difficult?

This whole work permit thing is a bit of a mystery to me, tbh.

Ekeke

Yeah, I suppose it would make it a lot harder if he didnt make an impact in Greece...

And I don't know about these things either, but honestly he took his chances better than any other striker in the competition - Eto'o and Drogba included. And considering they were part of far stronger teams its no surprise he went out of the tournament a round earlier than they did.

If a 24 year old player who was the main reason his country got to the quarter final of the African Cup of Nations (having appeared there for the first time ever) and top scorer in the competition while his side were still in it, isnt considered a special talent then surely nodoy in the ACN was a special talent. Which can't be true, surely.

spinoza

Paz's ion
The Egypt defence he scored his 25 yard screamer against gave up 4 goals in 5 games and held Drogba and Eto'o off the score-sheet.
They were well disciplined and kept their shape, were brave and strong in the tackle.
I think we may well see good things from the boy.
True, that.

I'm liking him more and more.

wancolos

Diarrhetic homosexual- likes to beat Noggies with
Only thing he's done so far is scoring a few goals in the African Nations Cup.

Hardly enough to be branded as a 'special talent' yet...

Ekeke

He outscored Drogba (best striker in the premiership last year) and Eto'o (widely considered the best striker in the world) whilst his team (who were far inferior) were in the competition.

Having watched the matches myself I can safely say his shots to goals ratio must be nearly as good as O'Shea's was last season. He had very few chances, but he scored almost all of them in Africa's big tournament.

Of course thats enough to be branded a 'special talent'. Unless you are claiming Drogba and Eto'o are not special talents, in which case... Your standards are far too high...

Pogue Mahone

It is when you bear in mind that Anderson was a "special talent" after a couple of substitute appearances in the Copa America and Kalou was a "special talent" before he'd played in any major tournament at all.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Both of those had played in decent leagues in Europe though to be fair.

Personally, I never judge a player on a tournament. Need to see Manucho in a league.

Pogue Mahone

Both of those had played in decent leagues in Europe though to be fair.

Personally, I never judge a player on a tournament. Need to see Manucho in a league.
A fair point. Do you think that the English work permit people take the same approach? (i.e. judging special talent on league performances rather than a tournament?)

Keano1999

Sir Alex To Re-Apply For Manucho Permit

Recent Manchester United acquisition has been farmed out to Panathinaikos due to his being denied a UK work permit, but Sir Alex Ferguson is eager to try again soon.

Angolan striker Manucho will spend the next few months in Greece with Panathinaikos after being refused a British work permit, but Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson holds out hope that the ex-Petro Atletico man will pull on the red shirt sooner rather than later.

He told the Manchester Evening News, "Given that he played for Angola and did so well at the African Nations Cup, we will re-apply for his work permit in the summer and hopefully next year he could play for us."

Under United Kingdom rules, work permits do not have to be granted to players who do not play in 75% or more of their national team's matches over a two-year period.

Only in exceptional circumstances will permits be granted for such players, with Manucho being turned down for his.

However, the player himself remains upbeat, saying, "It is a pleasure hearing all this from someone as experienced as Alex Ferguson. If things turn out favourably, I will do my best to score as many as I can."

Manucho, 24, managed four goals at the Africa Cup of Nations in Ghana.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=585443

I had mistakenly thought it was a foregone conclusion that he could sign for us in the summer. Which was a bit silly, to be fair, I was completely overlooking the "75% of games over two years" clause needed to get a work permit.

That was the main reason, I think, why Chelsea had Alex on their books for two whole seasons before he got clearance to play in the UK.

Looks like we need Manucho to make a serious impact in Greece and qualify as a "special talent" or we won't see him at United until 2010 :(
I think he had played the requisite number of games but Angola was just outside top 70 teams. Angola has moved 8 places to 64 since the ACN which might help us. He has been capped 15 times for Angola but I'm not sure if that 75% of their matches over the last 2 years.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It is when you bear in mind that Anderson was a "special talent" after a couple of substitute appearances in the Copa America and Kalou was a "special talent" before he'd played in any major tournament at all.
To be honest, i'm not sure if you can compare here. Anderson and Kalou were teenagers and looked to be excellent already regardless of age in a decent league.
For a 24 year old Manucho to be classed as a special talent in the Angolan league, he'd probably have to start playing like Ronaldo Luis. I'm not discrediting him though, he can only play against what is infront of him, i suppose it's the just manner in which he does so.

Tabasco Sauce

6814 miles from the centre of the universe...
Reproduced from an earlier thread before the ACN :

WORK PERMIT SITUATION :

I just did some digging on the situation with his permit...Angola (who are ranked 72nd in the FIFA rankings) have played a total of 16 matches since the world cup in 2006 (Manucho was not part of the WC squad). Manucho has played in 10 out of those 16 which means he has played in 62% (0r 63% for the really pedantic blokes out there) of the matches. If Angola play 3 matches in the ACN (guaranteed) plus the friendly today, then he would have played 70% of their matches. If they progress further and play 3 more matches (QF, SF and 3rd place/Final match) then he would have had played in 74% of the matches which is still insufficient for a work permit.

What is more likely than Angola making it to the finals, is that they reach the QF and then go out (making 4 matches in the CAN 2008) and he plays in the friendly on 26th March and the WC qualifiers on 30th May and 6th June which gives us a total of 18 caps out of a possible 24 which gets us to the magic figure of 75%. If he misses any of these matches, then we may have to wait till July or September depending on how many he misses.

Justin

Pretty sure friendly games don't count since they're not 'A' International games.