Marc Cucurella | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnchies

It's the same as ye being linked to a load of right backs because you could play James at RCB. .. why? Why move the best RB in the League (if not Europe) to a different position? It seems strange. What Chelsea need is a sprinkle of magic in AM or up top. Dembelé would have been perfect but Sterling is very functional. There just isn't a whole lot of creativity in the attacking areas. This obsession with paying top dollar to reinforce positions that ye are already strong in is bizzare to me.
When did James become the best RB in the league let alone Europe? I don’t think he’s better than TAA, Cancelo(when he plays there) and Walker without even mentioning Hakimi and Carvajal in Europe.

CM

Good player but would be a bit of a strange signing for Chelsea.

It's also quite puzzling how City are baulking at Brighton's valuation given the fees they've paid for the likes of Ake, Grealish and Phillips in the last year. Cucurella would be a much more seamless fit for their team than any of those 3.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Did he get forward and link attacks often from LCB or was he more of a “play it safe because this isn’t my natural position” sort of a guy?
He definitely pushed forward

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Chilwell and James are both quality, definitely amongst the best in their position in the league.

I can see the logic of going for Cucurella though, he’s a good player and his positional versatility would be a big boon. I said when Chilwell got injured it would hit Chelsea hard and it ended up impacting them badly. His approach is crucial to how Chelsea want to play, and Cucurella would be able to provide what he does if he’s absent while also plausibly be able to play in the same 11 as Chilwell.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would be hilarious if City swoop in and take Cucurella as well.
I thought he was pretty much sewn up for City so it's surprising, guess they aren't wanting to over pay?

wonder whether they'll come back in at the last moment if they see Chelsea willing to budge.

Zoo

Anyone actually seen him in a back 3? Just don’t get it at all. When/if Tuchel leaves the next manager may want to play with a back 4 meaning he’ll have to choose between two LB’s that each cost £50m.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This was one the games he played at LCB it seems. Looked pretty good. Didn't realise he played LCB that night but he was pretty damn good in this game.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
When did James become the best RB in the league let alone Europe? I don’t think he’s better than TAA, Cancelo(when he plays there) and Walker without even mentioning Hakimi and Carvajal in Europe.
He is better than TAA

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
We could have had hakimi and James in the same team. Shame.

Definitely one of the best RBs in the league, his all round game is phenomenal as is his physique. Both he and TAA have decent delivery from wide positions but James is more versatile. Don’t see why they couldn’t play together for England. Move James into Walkers position, Walker is great but Gareth needs to try new things that don’t involve selecting Trippier as a LB.

hatchetmac

I thought he was pretty much sewn up for City so it's surprising, guess they aren't wanting to over pay?

wonder whether they'll come back in at the last moment if they see Chelsea willing to budge.
Hold my beer "Laporta"

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Anyone actually seen him in a back 3? Just don’t get it at all. When/if Tuchel leaves the next manager may want to play with a back 4 meaning he’ll have to choose between two LB’s that each cost £50m.
Chillwell would get sold or benched because he is inferior

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
James is the best balanced of all those you named in the PL. Trent and Cancelo are fantastic going forward but shocking defensively. Besides being lightning quick I’m not sure what Kyle Walker is especially good at. Reece is excellent both attacking and defending. Not quite as flashy or exciting going forward as Trent or Cancelo but can put up similar stats as long as he remains fit.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC

It's also quite puzzling how City are baulking at Brighton's valuation given the fees they've paid for the likes of Ake, Grealish and Phillips in the last year. Cucurella would be a much more seamless fit for their team than any of those 3.
The other 3 have home grown tax on them. I think they know Cucu is going to be seeking a move to Barca in 2-3 yrs from now, so they probably are hesitant paying the fee Brighton want.

phelans shorts

Oh he’s easily better than Walker. Him and Trent are by a long way the standouts in the league on the right.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's the same as ye being linked to a load of right backs because you could play James at RCB. .. why? Why move the best RB in the League (if not Europe) to a different position? It seems strange. What Chelsea need is a sprinkle of magic in AM or up top. Dembelé would have been perfect but Sterling is very functional. There just isn't a whole lot of creativity in the attacking areas. This obsession with paying top dollar to reinforce positions that ye are already strong in is bizzare to me.
:lol::lol::lol:

cyberman

Didn’t they try this when they went hard for Hakimi?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
James is the best balanced of all those you named in the PL. Trent and Cancelo are fantastic going forward but shocking defensively. Besides being lightning quick I’m not sure what Kyle Walker is especially good at. Reece is excellent both attacking and defending. Not quite as flashy or exciting going forward as Trent or Cancelo but can put up similar stats as long as he remains fit.
Defensively Walker is better than James, until his legs have gone you can't discount what a massive asset his pace is

Attacking wise TAA is also better and there's really not much in it defensively either

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Why? He's a big upgrade on anything else they have in that position.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Defensively Walker is better than James, until his legs have gone you can't discount what a massive asset his pace is

Attacking wise TAA is also better and there's really not much in it defensively either
Disagree. Trent has definitely improved defensively over the last year or so but James is pretty clear of him on that front and I don’t think Walker is better offensively.

CM

Why? He's a big upgrade on anything else they have in that position.
They've already spent £50m on Chilwell for the LWB position. Normally if you want competition/injury cover like that you go for a cheaper alternative, as we have with Malacia.

I know some are saying Cucurella can also play as a CB but it would be a lot of money to spend to play him in his second best position.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
They've already spent £50m on Chilwell for the LWB position. Normally if you want competition/injury cover like that you go for a cheaper alternative, as we have with Malacia.

I know some are saying Cucurella can also play as a CB but it would be a lot of money to spend to play him in his second best position.
Cucurella is levels above Chilwell.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Feels like a lot of people forget how good Chilly was before his devastating injury. He and Reece were both tearing it up on either flank scoring, assisting, and creating chances for fun. We were flying in the league and looking like genuine contenders with him being one of the 2-3 biggest standouts in the side.

MUnchies

He is better than TAA
Agree to disagree, I believe there’s no standout number one RB in the league.

We could have had hakimi and James in the same team. Shame.

Definitely one of the best RBs in the league, his all round game is phenomenal as is his physique. Both he and TAA have decent delivery from wide positions but James is more versatile. Don’t see why they couldn’t play together for England. Move James into Walkers position, Walker is great but Gareth needs to try new things that don’t involve selecting Trippier as a LB.
I’m not disagreeing he’s one of the best RBs in the league. And I agree with you about

You are right, he’s more balanced. Just that what

Oh he’s easily better than Walker. Him and Trent are by a long way the standouts in the league on the right.
Easily better? I don’t agree, better because he has age in his side maybe. Cancelo couldn’t displace Walker from the City team and still starts for England ahead of James.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This was one the games he played at LCB it seems. Looked pretty good. Didn't realise he played LCB that night but he was pretty damn good in this game.

Hm, makes a lot of sense if he could produce like this at LCB as well. With Chilwell injury problems it could prove to be a really good signing as Alonso (leaving or not) is cack.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Chilwell came off from serious injury.So need top class lwb/lb and we have chance to sign cucurella then I am sure we will go for it. He is also not bad in lcb in three back formation. So nothing wrong if we go after him.

We played Emerson as lcb in recent friendlies. So there is contingency plan if we signed cucurella. Looks like koulibally will play RCB and if we signed cucurella he will most likely play as lcb.

OrcaFat

If you can afford it, you want the competition to be as good as the incumbent so they can potentially get into the side and improve it. So you shouldn’t worry about paying more (again, that’s if you can afford it).

Rossa

I feel that the Caf is underrating Walker. He’s almost impossible to get past one on one. He was brilliant against Vinicius, been great against Bale and any other winger that would blitz past most defenders. His recovery pace is, arguably, the best in the world and plays a huge part in why City are able to hold such a high line.

He’s not great going forward like TAA for instace, but his surging runs forward opens up so much space. He’s also better technically than many give him credit for, a decent passer of the ball and a very good outlet on the right.

Admittedly, he does have some brainfarts, but so does TAA, and he’s terrible at defending.

CM

Cucurella is levels above Chilwell.
As a full-back, perhaps.

As a wing-back Chilwell did really well prior to the injury last season, though. He got 3 goals and an assist in 6 matches at the start of last season. Probably not sustainable numbers but Cucurella got 1 goal and 1 assist over the course of the whole season, by comparison. I like Cucurella and don't necessarily think numbers are the main measure of a good full-back/wing-back, but in Chelsea's system it's important they chip in because their forwards aren't particularly great in that regard.

If you can afford it, you want the competition to be as good as the incumbent so they can potentially get into the side and improve it. So you shouldn’t worry about paying more (again, that’s if you can afford it).
Chelsea fans and Tuchel clearly rate Chilwell though, it's not as though they're signing Cucurella with a view to replace him.

Doesn't really bother me, of course, but it feels like they're just scrambling around trying to get any defender in after missing out on other targets.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I've always liked a back 3 involving one fullback. I feel three out and out CB's while at times can be excellent at others it's overkill. Effectively being able to attack with two fullbacks on one side would add a totally different dimension to the attack.

OrcaFat

As a full-back, perhaps.

As a wing-back Chilwell did really well prior to the injury last season, though. He got 3 goals and an assist in 6 matches at the start of last season. Probably not sustainable numbers but Cucurella got 1 goal and 1 assist over the course of the whole season, by comparison. I like Cucurella and don't necessarily think numbers are the main measure of a good full-back/wing-back, but in Chelsea's system it's important they chip in because their forwards aren't particularly great in that regard.

Chelsea fans and Tuchel clearly rate Chilwell though, it's not as though they're signing Cucurella with a view to replace him.

Doesn't really bother me, of course, but it feels like they're just scrambling around trying to get any defender in after missing out on other targets.
Yeah. I just look at it from our point of view. Once the first 11 is functioning we should look at where the depth is weakest and strengthen there by trying to recruit better than what we have. We have so many holes to fill we’re still in rebuild but Chelsea are closer to that “maintenance” recruitment strategy.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really weird one from City’s point of view. Looked like they had it all wrapped up and all of a sudden it just went dead

Status
Not open for further replies.