Marc Cucurella - World Class Hairdo

marktan

£7m loan fee and £40m obligation to buy would be a good deal for us, I feel.

* So says our recruitment team / manager, probably

Superunknown

I mean if he was coming straight from his season at Brighton, most of us would be delighted with this, no? Have we not given the entire Chelsea squad a pass on last season, no?
Could well be the case. There's no denying that.

Just checking his stats and he only made 24 league appearances last year for a shit Chelsea side. Is that the case? If so, how come exactly?

ShinjiNinja26

I’m trying to take a lot of comfort from the fact Pep really wanted him last summer.

He was absolutely dreadful at Chelsea but so was everyone. Hopefully he can find his Brighton form.
Then you realise he also wanted Maguire and Sanchez and any comfort is gone in the blink of an eye.

CM

We obviously shouldn't touch it if the loan fee is anywhere close to £7m but the Cucurella loan feels a lot more palatable today after the Rico Henry links that surfaced yesterday. I think I would've had an aneurysm if we tried to spend the remainder of our budget on a LB.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We obviously shouldn't touch it if the loan fee is anywhere close to £7m but the Cucurella loan feels a lot more palatable today after the Rico Henry links that surfaced yesterday. I think I would've had an aneurysm if we tried to spend the remainder of our budget on a LB.
Isn't that exactly what we are doing?

gajender

I think One of the Chelsea Supporting poster made a fair point that If the loan fee is £7m then chances are United might not be paying his wages at least not majority of it anyway .

SteveCoppellFan

I for one thinks our full backs have held us back over recent years.

Even Shaw has not been that great a lot of the time and the rest have offered very little as a attacking option.

We need dynamic full backs and Cucurella might not be the best but he's a step in the right direction.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He was a system player at Brighton. Very good going forward, but couldn't defend. Mistakes didn't get noticed there.

They did at Chelsea and they will at United.
What's a system player? Surely one can play well in other systems? And isn't that what we expect Ten Hag to be doing? Implementing a system?

Plastic Evra

Probably you won't need to pay his wages then. If that's the case it's fair deal overall.
You know what, I don't know how wage pay is actually structured in loans, it would make sense it's all routed through the club retaining the original contract.
7m€ is roughly his annual pay per estimations, right ? Or close to his speculated weekly wage per whatever number of weeks he'd be playing for United, perhaps.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
You know what, I don't know how wage pay is actually structured in loans, it would make sense it's all routed through the club retaining the original contract.
7m€ is roughly his annual pay per estimations, right ?
Yes probably you are right. But we will do this deal in the hope of he recover his form and that make you sign him for good money. In worst case scenario this year wage will be off from our books.

You will get the player that you need in that position if he performs well you got a good player and tested him already in your team. So won't be a problem for you to pay the money. Otherwise one off pay and leave in worst case scenario.

mintyred

Even Shaw has not been that great a lot of the time and the rest have offered very little as a attacking option.

We need dynamic full backs and Cucurella might not be the best but he's a step in the right direction.
So signing a player that is terrible is a step in the right direction? I can see it now. Magure at CB, Cucurella LB, McTominay, Mount and Hojbjerg in CM.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One thing we didn't do well in the past was to explore loan options, good to see us at least trying to sign a back up player on loan.

Red00012

The link at the beginning was Ashley Young and Ryan Bertrand so we have come up in the world a bit

CM

I wouldn't have thought so. A loan shouldn't impinge on our business in the same way a permanent transfer would. Even if it does, the damage doesn't feel as irrevocable as it would if we spent £50m+ on a player who doesn't improve the first team. Small wins!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Why was he so shocking at Chelsea then? He was getting skinned by every right winger.
All of Chelsea has been shocking for 18 months really. And it's especially hard for a new signing to come into that.

I'm not saying he'll be a roaring success of anything, what I'm saying is with a week to go in the window with basically no money, its not a bad risk to take.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If McTominay goes we will surely (hopefully) sign another midfielder. Otherwise, yeah. Seems like it.

Henderson fee will pay for that backup Turkish keeper and probably this loan fee

bdspeedy

We have Chilwell and Maatsen for LB/LWB so getting rid of Cucurella who's on high wages makes a lot of sense, even if it's only a temporary move.

Reportedly we're after a £7M loan fee and United have offered £2M. Let's say the difference is split in the middle and the final loan fee was around £5M. That fee as well as having United paying his salary for the season would be a wonderful deal for us. Basically he'd only cost us £4M for the season as compared to the £18M he currently does (amortisation + salary).

Next year his book value would be lower and chances are he'd have redeemed himself a little bit playing for you lot so it could be much easier to get rid of him on a permanent move then, even if you didn't buy him.
Is that Chelsea math? Don't get me wrong. Our inept management wouldn't catch it either but splitting the difference would be 4.5M. But let's say 4M.

Zoo

Shaw is a natural talent. Technique, passing, composure at the back up there with the best. We’re gonna miss him badly. Cucurella at Brighton was all hustle and bustle, pretty good but not top class

-Supreme-

I wonder if we’re still expected to cover his wages if we’re paying £7m loan fee? If not, then this is a fair deal IMO as it works out about £135k a week

Plastic Evra

I wonder if we’re still expected to cover his wages if we’re paying £7m loan fee? If not, then this is a fair deal IMO as it works out about £135k a week
The season started and I suppose the loan stops after the last competitive game so it's maybe calculated on 40ish weeks or so (?)
If the fee is a way to pay his wages upfront, that's fine. If we have to shoulder them on top of that (I imagine United can't exactly plead poverty or a stringent wage structure) it's a little rich. But beggars can't be choosers...

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Why do you guys complain all the time?

Cucurella is not the best LB on Earth, but we assume he will come good at United.

Some of you would rather we fielded nine players at the weekend :houllier:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
He is NOT a shit player and when fully focused he’s fine. But when he makes mistakes they’ve been terrible howlers. That’s been his issue here. Focus and concentration.

He’ll be fine for you guys.

Crimson King

He is NOT a shit player and when fully focused he’s fine. But when he makes mistakes they’ve been terrible howlers. That’s been his issue here. Focus and concentration.

He’ll be fine for you guys.
He's a good footballer, I think he'll be able to do the tucked in fullback role well.

FujiVice

As Danny Devito said to Rhea Perlman "Look, its either me or nobody." So Welcome to Old Trafford Marc.

King Eric 7

Can you imagine us having to field Cucurella - Maguire - Lindelof - Dalot in the same game? :nervous:

joedirt87

He's a good footballer, I think he'll be able to do the tucked in fullback role well.
Maybe, but I think he'd be better used as a traditional fullback, same with Shaw. Don't really care. Faster we get this done it gives us more time to pretend that United are going to sign another midfielder.