g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Marcel Sabitzer | Do not use for player performance chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1nk

I would really love to see him partner Casemiro before I fully judge him, as I believe he's the only midfielder I haven't seen be able to yet for a full game, I believe? However as a squad option I believe he is brilliant, as in, we need a squad to compete on all fronts and not every single player in that squad can be absolute world class because you can't keep them all happy and you can't pay them all.

We need someone of better quality for a starting 11 spot, with different qualities. However if we are going to sell McTominay and VDB - which we should - I imagine we could buy Sabitzer to fulfil that role for not only could we use the sale money to buy him (with change left over) we'd be replacing them both with a better player for the squad.

Sell;
McT
VDB

Buy;
New Permanent 8
Deputizing/Younger 6
Sabitzer

Then you'd have Casemiro, Fred, Sabitzer, Eriksen, New 8, New Young 6, Bruno

Honestly don't see that happening this summer it would probably be Sabitzer and 1 other midfield if at all...

Hammondo

I would really love to see him partner Casemiro before I fully judge him, as I believe he's the only midfielder I haven't seen be able to yet for a full game, I believe? However as a squad option I believe he is brilliant, as in, we need a squad to compete on all fronts and not every single player in that squad can be absolute world class because you can't keep them all happy and you can't pay them all.

We need someone of better quality for a starting 11 spot, with different qualities. However if we are going to sell McTominay and VDB - which we should - I imagine we could buy Sabitzer to fulfil that role for not only could we use the sale money to buy him (with change left over) we'd be replacing them both with a better player for the squad.

Sell;
McT
VDB

Buy;
New Permanent 8
Deputizing/Younger 6
Sabitzer

Honestly don't see that happening this summer it would probably be Sabitzer and 1 other midfield if at all...
I do not see what benefit Sabitzer gives us tbh.

RuudTom83

Another DM + Sabitzer in the summer would make a healthy midfield.

Only question would be…how does EtH see Hannibal(?) as I see Sabitzer/Fred/Hannibal playing in similar areas on the pitch (generally speaking)

RopersReturn

Has so far proved to be a useful utility player. I hope we can hold on to him and offer him a full contract this summer all pending on fitness and injuries.

Anduin

Sabitzer is not a DM, never was, never will be. He came through the ranks as a winger, played as winger for Admira and Rapid Vienna, then as striker for Salzburg, and was converted to a capable midfielder (central, though more attacking-minded) at Leipzig. I think signing him really depends on what ETH expects him to do, as a Casemiro back-up it would be a waste of money, but as a number 8, Bruno back-up or even to be used on both wings it might be worth the 15 million Euros he'd probably cost. Bayern have no use for him with Laimer coming in, so he won't cost a lot.

Fr. Todd Unctious

I'd take him as a squad player. Better option to have in the squad than McT and others. Partiuclarly when we have a scenario like we do at the moment when both Cas and Eriksen out at the same time

Bwuk

I think he's a decent player to have in the squad, but I don't see him forcing Eriksen out the starting 11 when fit.

ClassOf'99

I would like to see him play where we have WW playing most games, try a fluid front 4 of Antony, Bruno, Rash & Sabi, I don't think the deeper role is where his strengths are as we've seen he's got a decent shot and eye for goal.

If we shift on even just VDB I would like to see us sign him, I still believe he's an upgrade on rotation for VDB & McT.

With the amount of games we've played this season and the amount of injuries/suspensions we do need rotational cover that is better than VDB & McT

RopersReturn

Sabitzer is not a DM, never was, never will be. He came through the ranks as a winger, played as winger for Admira and Rapid Vienna, then as striker for Salzburg, and was converted to a capable midfielder (central, though more attacking-minded) at Leipzig. I think signing him really depends on what ETH expects him to do, as a Casemiro back-up it would be a waste of money, but as a number 8, Bruno back-up or even to be used on both wings it might be worth the 15 million Euros he'd probably cost. Bayern have no use for him with Laimer coming in, so he won't cost a lot.
He’s definitely got an eye for goal and is very good with assists, as proven yesterday.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He hasn't convinced me yet and an odd goal can't change my mind about him. It depends on the fee, but it's clear that he is 4th choice now, after Casemiro, Eriksen and Fred.
He's clearly better than MCT, but anyone is better than MCT now.
So if we buy a starter CM in the summer he will either improve or be 5th choice.

L1nk

I do not see what benefit Sabitzer gives us tbh.
A... better squad player than McT and DVB? Was that not clear in my post? We sell both of them and buy Sabitzer for less money, thus making a profit whilst replacing two squad members with a better squad member on probably lower wagers than both of them combined, sounds like a win win to me?

croadyman

Sell;
McT
VDB

Buy;
New Permanent 8
Deputizing/Younger 6
Sabitzer

Yeah keeping him and signing those two would show serious ambition. Those others have to be better on the ball though.

ClassOf'99

Whilst I agree with you, I’m not sure Sabi would want to move to have the same scenario he has at Munich. He’ll want to play.
I think he will look at the fixtures we have played this season and know that he will get a lot of game time if we perform to these levels next season too.

48 games played so far (including the 2 friendlies) & could be 64 if we reach the FA Cup & Europa finals, he will definitely get more game time here than with Bayern

croadyman

Know it won't happen but as poster above said ideally we can keep him, sign a top class 8 on the ball and get cover for Casa

ClassOf'99

Know it won't happen but as poster above said ideally we can keep him, sign a top class 8 on the ball and get cover for Casa
This is what I'd see it as if we did sign him:

Starter - Cover

Casemiro - Lavia
FDJ - Eriksen/Fred
Bruno - Sabitzer

Sell VDB & McT we'd be looking very healthy in midfield for another quadruple push next season

Hammondo

A... better squad player than McT and DVB? Was that not clear in my post? We sell both of them and buy Sabitzer for less money, thus making a profit whilst replacing two squad members with a better squad member on probably lower wagers than both of them combined, sounds like a win win to me?
He does not play the same sole as McT, he plays mainly roles that we would almost never play him in.

Hammondo

Who should we target?
He's not at all stand out, you could get any average player in the PL and it would basically be the same. In fact you could take someone from our youth team and it would be similar.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Great stuff, this was my impression too but I didn’t have nearly as much detailed knowledge of him. Have seen him play LW for Austria. He has grown into someone that can play as a No 8, which I also have seen him do for Austria IIRC.

I really like Sabitzer. I think that he might be rushing things a little bit, but he definitely is a quality player in his prime.

But buying a player is always a long commitment. You know, how long contract should he get if we sign him? He is 28, I don’t think he would take 3 years. If we give him 4-5 years — can we sell him if we want to, in 2-3 years?

Same goes for Weghorst. I wouldn’t mind having him even as a 3rd option. He does an OK job, our win percentage with him on the pitch — is great. He of course doesn’t make up for his flaws with his hard work so that he is compareable with a great striker, but I do think the gap between him and an OK one is smaller than what many think. In addition, it’s easy to work hard. It is fun to press. The reason not all strikers chase the life out of defenders every chance they get — is that if you do that, you won’t be fresh when you get a scoring chance. Look for it when a team with a half “lazy” striker plays a really big game. Often the striker will burn himself out after 60 minutes. Weghorst of course isn’t related to Haile Gebresselasie. Often when he get chances, you can tell that he is tired.

But anyway, what type of contract would we give WW if we sign him? Would he take a 2 year deal? Can’t go locking up these guys on 4-5 year deals.

El Jefe

Why would we want to sign him? United fans develop a strange attachment to anyone that's here for even 5 seconds. Rangnick had a fan club, until a week ago people wanted Wout signed permanently and even funnier you still had some hoping Mata would get an extension last summer.

This team needs a starting quality top class No.8 in addition to a back up DM. Sabitzer is none of these. Eriksen is a capable backup in CM and AM but we need a genuine press resistant CM that is excellent at recycling the ball.

Adding Sabitzer just bloats the squad with another decent CM in addition to Fred. We have good players already but we need great or potentially great ones.

Varun1

Mct, Fred, Case, Eriksen, VDB, Bruno
Mejbri, Mainoo
Iqbal, Savage
Sabitzer

I hope we're able to offload some of these guys. Sadly that means one of Iqbal or Savage if we're looking to bring in more bodies.
I can't see us offloading Fred, but Mct & VDB should hopefully be going.

It will be an interesting summer.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not a fan of him thus far.

If we could keep him for peanuts, I'd sign him. But it'd have to be super cheap.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern paid around €16m for him, knowing those greedy fecks, they’ve want at least double that. No thanks, would rather have Rabiot and Tielemens on free transfers. He’s just okay at everything and doesn’t seem to excel at anything. We shouldn’t be looking to pay fees for players like that when there are multiple free transfers of that calibre available in the summer.

If we could sell McT (home grown, zero book value, pure profit for FFP) in the summer, and bring in those two on frees. We could put every penny of our budget into a top class striker. New owner or not, we’ll be bound by FFP this summer. Thank Woodward for overpaying and underselling the past decade for that.
When was the last time bayern held a player hostage that wanted to leave or ask a club for a insanely high fee? I think they are rather pleasant to negotiate with.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They sold him when he wanted to leave. I am pretty certain Bayern and Barca have a good relationship on management level.
Didn’t he basically have to go on strike though?

I’m not saying Bayern would be difficult to deal with either, I think they’re a really well run club. Knowing Barcelona they were lowballing the feck out of you all summer.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Didn’t he basically have to go on strike though?

I’m not saying Bayern would be difficult to deal with either, I think they’re a really well run club. Knowing Barcelona they were lowballing the feck out of you all summer.
Unnecessary statements were made on both sides ( Lewandowski/advisor and Bayern) and the fact that it took a while was rumoured to be due to Bayern's insistence on immediate payment and not payment in instalments. Understandable when you remember Barca's financial situation. But there is no bad blood between Lewandowski and Bayern.

Regarding Sabitzer: if United want him, they can get him without difficulties. Bayern's demand will not be high in my opinion (EUR15m - 20m), also because Laimer is likely to be his successor and Gravenberch needs time on the pitch.

Gordon Godot

Unnecessary statements were made on both sides ( Lewandowski/advisor and Bayern) and the fact that it took a while was rumoured to be due to Bayern's insistence on immediate payment and not payment in instalments. Understandable when you remember Barca's financial situation. But there is no bad blood between Lewandowski and Bayern.

Regarding Sabitzer: if United want him, they can get him without difficulties. Bayern's demand will not be high in my opinion (EUR15m - 20m), also because Laimer is likely to be his successor and Gravenberch needs time on the pitch.
I really cant see why we want him. Some good bits but generally underwhelming, he can be anonymous for much of the game as he was on Sunday. Some of his early pressing and athletic tackling seems to have gone, so not a lot left then. We need to do better than this. He and McT need to go, Fred is just about good enough to retain but certainly not a long term starter.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Not a fan of him thus far.

If we could keep him for peanuts, I'd sign him. But it'd have to be super cheap.
What is it with United fans accepting mediocrity just because the player is cheap, then no doubt 6 months later bemoaning the state of the bench? Just don't get the 'he can do a job' mentality. We need to be two-deep with real quality across the board. Hopefully ten Hag will continue to address that over the coming windows.

skc_18

Not a bad replacement for MCT if we are indeed selling MCT.
But I dont expect him to be starter every week not sure if he would be okay with that role.

If it is a choice between him and Rabiot , who will the CAF pick ?

wangyu

Sabitzer is not a midfield player, he is more of an attacker, sort of 10/9,5. He was not a good replacement for Eriksen or even Fred. He likes to run into the penalty area, he is very useful as an impact sub Because he can disrupt defenses with his runs into the box, if he is allowed to of course.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
With Eriksen and Fred back next year, I think Sabitzer would make up for the loss of McTominay. Expecting to see more of Mainoo next year as well. Either case, 18-20m is a very attractive fee for a player of Sabitzer's quality. Great situational squad player who can easily deputize to fill gaps due to injuries/suspensions etc.

Not having to break the bank on a new midfielder would also allow us to secure Osimhen with most of our transfer budget.

Mainoldo

Not a bad replacement for MCT if we are indeed selling MCT.
But I dont expect him to be starter every week not sure if he would be okay with that role.

If it is a choice between him and Rabiot , who will the CAF pick ?
Rabiot because he’s the better player and ETH preferred choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.