Marcel Sabitzer | Do not use for player performance chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

daba

I think we should sign him permanently, if possible. Would be a great addition to our midfield.

How much would he be? £30M, £40M? Wouldn't be expensive anyway.
I feel like I’ve seen an £18m figure bounded about when this has come up. Wouldn’t be terrible business but I still think need another to help us control games without Casemiro on the field.

Devil81

I'm pretty certain they'd be looking for around 20 million.

Very good business if we can make it happen, he's a brilliant passer of the ball.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Available for 20m apparently. If we can offload McTominay for a similar amount it’s a no brainer

TsuWave

at £18M-£23M would be a good deal. don't think we've seen the best of him yet, either.

but I think we need a Palhinha type more. Our level drops too much without Casemiro. Mctominay's shit

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really hope we don’t. Same age group as our first three midfielders, and he doesn’t really add anything we don’t have already.

If it’s a straight swap for him to be McTominay’s replacement (in terms of squad status) — sure. But is he trading Bayern’s bench for ours?

justboy68

I quite like him and think he'd definitely be a squad upgrade at 20 million if he's satisfied with being a squad player. Probably not a first teamer though .

ChaddyP

Don't see the point of signing him. rather spend more on higher quality players. He does a job but somehow I rather Fred

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm not yet convinced by him. Not entirely sure what position he is supposed to play, and he's been little to no use in helping up progress the ball up the pitch

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Lots of depends on summer budget which could get heavily taxed by heavy interest in Osimhen / Kane. Let's give Sabi a solid run of games and think we'll know more.

One of the summer ready option for sure. Moving some players at some point could help find space for this chap. Still feeling Ten Hag might go for some younger options if available.

Bobski

His style of play makes him an alternative for Donny rather than a true option for a deeper midfield role.

He has a goal threat, that has been evident in most of his games, maybe a decent option as a back up for Bruno when Donny is moved on but I don't see him replacing what any of Cas, Eriksen and Fred bring in deeper areas. Also not certain that adding another 29-30yo to that trio makes sense.

El Presidente

Available for 20m apparently. If we can offload McTominay for a similar amount it’s a no brainer
They don't even play in the same position. Mctominay has to be replaced with an actual DM, because Casemiro is 30 and has no alternative.

Kopral Jono

I really like him. Sign him up permanently if his price tag makes good sense.

NZT-One

I hope, the game we just witnessed wasn't a factor in your thinking? Initially I thought the same thing when the loan started. But the more I see him, the more meh I think the player is. He isn't there for long and our football is a bit dire so not to his strength but I don't think he warrented more than maybe a 15million outlay as of now...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not yet convinced by him. Not entirely sure what position he is supposed to play, and he's been little to no use in helping up progress the ball up the pitch
Yup. He doesn’t that at all and a supposed CM I don’t see the point in a permanent deal when seems to be poor at exactly what we need in a midfielder.

Spend the money on a proper cm instead. Unless he shows something totally different from here on

Swedish_Plumber

He’s the quality of player you want coming off the bench. And he’s good enough to put a shift in as a starter too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
They don't even play in the same position. Mctominay has to be replaced with an actual DM, because Casemiro is 30 and has no alternative.
Moving both Donny and McTominay could create lots of good space for two solid midfielders... and Fred should be on his toes, because if he'll drop the ball in decisive part of the season, this could create entire dimension for new midfield to emerge.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Good work rate, technically sound, versatile enough to do a job in basically any midfield or forward position.

He's pretty much the ideal squad player for a big club. Get him in if the ~£20m price is accurate.

El Presidente

Moving both Donny and McTominay could create lots of good space for two solid midfielders... and Fred should be on his toes, because if he'll drop the ball in decisive part of the season, this could create entire dimension for new midfield to emerge.
No, I absolutely agree. Both of those should have never been United players, in fact. But considering we are already on the market for a starting no.8 and backup no.6 and no.10, Sabitzer is 4th priority at best and that's only for the midfield, because he's neither of those things.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No, I absolutely agree. Both of those should have never been United players, in fact. But considering we are already on the market for a starting no.8 and backup no.6 and no.10, Sabitzer is 4th priority at best and that's only for the midfield, because he's neither of those things.
I hear ya. Still we might not have a bigger choice of maneuvering if we overpay for full time striker. Financially Sabi probably will remain as interesting option, even if he's 4th choice in order to sign.

Still some things could change to the end of the season... just need to give him run of games and see what he can do in consecutive matches, under both physical and psychological pressure.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Bayern paid around €16m for him, knowing those greedy fecks, they’ve want at least double that. No thanks, would rather have Rabiot and Tielemens on free transfers. He’s just okay at everything and doesn’t seem to excel at anything. We shouldn’t be looking to pay fees for players like that when there are multiple free transfers of that calibre available in the summer.

If we could sell McT (home grown, zero book value, pure profit for FFP) in the summer, and bring in those two on frees. We could put every penny of our budget into a top class striker. New owner or not, we’ll be bound by FFP this summer. Thank Woodward for overpaying and underselling the past decade for that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
McTominay isn’t a DM. Even if we sometimes ask him to play as a 6 because we have no-one else, I’d say they’re both 8s.

rooney2009

He is not a holding midfielder so we only sign him if we get rid of Fred or Eriksen
He is not Scott’s replacement

Malone_Post

Not seeing it with him at all tbh. Couple of moments here and there, a lovely flick today for the goal and a good 45 minutes in the cup final. Apart from that he’s been pretty disappointing.

Let’s be honest for a moment, if he was that good Bayern wouldn’t have been letting him go halfway through the middle of the season.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Think he would be a really good signing.

Pros are that he besides being a really good passer, having a high work-rate and has a good long range shot -- also is flexible. He can play both as a No 8 or AMC and he has played a fair amount of LW.

The only downside I see is if we manage to find a great No 8, like a Barella. Are we going to have Fred, Eriksen, Sabitzer and the "Barella" all primarily compete for one spot?

PSV

Before we opt against signing him we should at least try him in some of the other positions he's played. Maybe give him a shot at CF? :D

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Before we opt against signing him we should at least try him in some of the other positions he's played. Maybe give him a shot at CF? :D

I'd be up for that. Leipzig played him absolutely everywhere and he seemed solid in any spot.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We need a young potentially top class backup to Casemiro to replace Mctominay and a top class upgrade on Eriksen who can control games and progress the ball from deep. I like him but he’s neither of these things. If we sign him I think we still need 2 central midfielders.

Abraxas

At first I wasn't keen because I don't think he's top quality and I still dont. He's better than McTominay and much better than Donny van de Beek. The number of games are ridiculous and players like him can always come into use.

So on that basis in terms of adding to our options it's starting to look a fairly common sense option for a cheap fee. I wouldn't spend a lot on him, Bayern don't need or want him.

I don't think he eliminates our need for further midfield options because he doesn't substitute for Casemiro and he still leaves us with weak areas in our midfield where we don't excel. Especially building up from deep, a lot is on Eriksen, probably too much.

For me we have Casemiro (DM), Eriksen (playmaker), Fred (Box to box), Sabitzer (box to box I guess), McT (box to box). So from that point of the view the balance is weird, we could do with getting money for McT and adding some more variety.

Last edited:

bucky

We already have squad players, we don't need more. Sign legitimate competition for Casemiro and Eriksen.

surf

Eriksen and Fred are better, Beek and McT are worse. Unless Beek and possibly also McT, are leaving, not sure we need Sabitzer - better to spend bigger on an upgrade to Eriksen and Fred.

Fer

Yeah so if we actually sign a good CM, which we should, then Fred can be first choice backup. I see no point in Sabitzer at that point, especially of we keep McT and we have the likes of Mainoo coming through.
Fred would be your first choice backup instead of Eriksen? I agree about Mainoo.

Mmm-Qatarian

He has his uses, and I was probably overly harsh on him in the match thread, but I'm not particularly sold that he really plugs any of the key gaps we have in midfield.

I'd say the two profiles we need to be looking at in midfield this summer is a player capable of progressing from deep and generally controlling the tempo of the game and a defensive midfielder capable of providing back-up for Case. I don't think Sabitzer is either of these.

As others have pointed out, with Fred already in the squad I'm not entirely sure we really need to make Sabitzer's deal permanent in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.