Marcel Sabitzer - Dortmund Player "I learned a lot about football working under him (ten Hag). He’s a very good coach.”

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Last year it was inter with Utd's cast offs going far in the CL.

Now it's Dortmund.

Quite sad when you think about it.
We loaned them Maatsen as well and he's done great there. Weird he never got a chance with us.

redcucumber

Manchester United happened that’s what. You’re not just a coach at United. You can’t just focus on being a coach. This a a juggernaut club with no DOF, very poor recruitment, an accountant with no clue on football as CEO, glazers as owners, player power beyond what should be acceptable. Etc etc etc. the list is literally endless but you can’t just be a coach here. The amount of shit he has had to deal with beyond his control, aswell as a dressing room full of egos who by the way, constantly leak information. Players who throw tantruks at being substituted (it’s a team game). He took on a lot of stuff which was from previous regimes aswell. The ronaldo situation was going to happen with whoever came in for example. He took the brunt of that. Sancho, took the brunt of that. He took the brunt of a lot of failures at this club regarding their poor recruitment.

His biggest downfall? Over an achieving in his first season. He had to do better this season and he hasn’t. Does he need longer with much much much support? In my opinion yes but I know I’m in the minority.

we know we got to do things different. We know that just sacking a manager won’t solve anything (maybe give us a new manager bounce) but we all know that this club is in a right mess and it’s going to take more than a manager to solve it. We need to stop masking how bad it is by blaiming the manager and look longer term and at the bigger picture. (And I’m the first to say this season hasn’t been good enough).I just can’t find it in myself to blame one man for this mess. I feel for him actually. It’s one hell of a tough job.
He isn't getting any aspect of the coaching right, though. There is literally nothing positive happening on the pitch in terms of there being an overarching plan that we're building towards. It is utterly hopeless, which means apportioning all of the blame on what happens upstairs with transfers/squad building ("no DOF, very poor recruitment, an accountant with no clue on football as CEO, glazers as owners" - all points relating to signings/squad building, effectively) doesn't really land.

And anyway, apart from City, has any top club ever had the complete perfect setup for a manager to walk into? Liverpool's squad was hilarious when Klopp came in.

saivet

He was good yesterday and his energy off the ball was something to admire but nothing about his performance made me think we missed a big trick to signing him. He'd have been a more sensible alternative to Mount and as an advanced 8 and he would have provided a bit more energy and stability into our midfield but I don't think us signing him would have moved the needle.

Glad he has at least found somewhere good for him.

Gordon's Hill

Very good post mate, but will fall on many deaf ears unfortunately. I'm with you.
Come off it. 'Fall on deaf ears'. For a start he asked for a veto and near control over transfers, which its clear he got. But the bottom line is there is NOTHING on the pitch to show any coherent football philosophy or to offer hope, after being hear for around 20 months. We were awful in the first match of season and just as bad in the most recent. We are being outplayed and dominated by Bournemouth. its a shambles and his suggested transition approach completely alien to how the top teams play. Its not clear it could ever work in the PL given its pace and physicality and puts a huge burden on the players. Plus you seem to need a new starting 11, even after him spendi.ng £400m and he now benches several of his signings. The apologists just get more deluded.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, it's a shame we didn't sign him this summer. He only went for 15m-20m Euros and would have been a really good option for us to have - hell we could have not signed Mount, signed him and had 30M left over.

However, I'm also very happy for him that he didn't have to suffer the agnoy of playing in our midfield.

Maik2022

One of the players, that can only shine just below the top. I remember Arjen Robben, was always injured, but when he came back was world class right away. As a top club you can't have players that need half a season of regular play to perfom, but the Mount comparison is spot on. Could have kept Sabitzer instead, no difference and cheaper.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
One of the players, that can only shine just below the top. I remember Arjen Robben, was always injured, but when he came back was world class right away. As a top club you can't have players that need half a season of regular play to perfom, but the Mount comparison is spot on. Could have kept Sabitzer instead, no difference and cheaper.
Mount is a much better player than Sabitzer, which I'm convinced he'll show over the course of his Utd career.

Mike Smalling

I liked him here at United. A good midfield depth option. He was certainly a lot better than anything Amrabat has provided.
Agree. Sabitzer did some decent things while he was here. At the right price, I wouldn't have minded him as a squad option for a couple of years, considering what we are currently getting out of the likes of Casemiro, Amrabat and Eriksen. They don't fill exactly the same role of course, but it's just indicative of how little we get from our midfielders in general. Amrabat in particular barely looks like a pro athlete.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would have been a better option that Amrabaat this season. I imagine they actually thought they'd sell more and be able to invest properly, so it wasn't a wrong decision to not follow through with at the time. I'm happy for him playing well, he came across as a good professional and all-rounder that would be very useful to have in a squad.

Judas

Open to offers
I liked him here at United. A good midfield depth option. He was certainly a lot better than anything Amrabat has provided.
I'd offer more than Amrabat, that's hardly saying much is it? Amrabat might as well not exist, I genuinely forget about him even when he gets subbed on, that's how little he's done here.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He was and is bang average, always has been. Same with Amrabat. I can't believe so many get suckered into thinking these guys are anything more (and seemingly still do, as of last night). I didn't see him week in, week out before we signed him, but Bayern fans did tell us what he is, and that is exactly what we got. I think the term 'jack of all trades, master of none' was used, and I think that sums him up perfectly. He's not cut out for the PL and it would have been another £15m wasted.

Rojofiam

Last year it was inter with Utd's cast offs going far in the CL.

Now it's Dortmund.

Quite sad when you think about it.
What’s sad about it? Both had an easier run than you normally get on the road to a CL final/semi-final. I love underdog runs but they’re obviously flukes.

Inter had to overcome Porto, Benfica and AC Milan to get to the final. We could’ve done that too last season.

Rojofiam

Manchester United happened that’s what. You’re not just a coach at United. You can’t just focus on being a coach. This a a juggernaut club with no DOF, very poor recruitment, an accountant with no clue on football as CEO, glazers as owners, player power beyond what should be acceptable. Etc etc etc. the list is literally endless but you can’t just be a coach here. The amount of shit he has had to deal with beyond his control, aswell as a dressing room full of egos who by the way, constantly leak information. Players who throw tantruks at being substituted (it’s a team game). He took on a lot of stuff which was from previous regimes aswell. The ronaldo situation was going to happen with whoever came in for example. He took the brunt of that. Sancho, took the brunt of that. He took the brunt of a lot of failures at this club regarding their poor recruitment.

His biggest downfall? Over an achieving in his first season. He had to do better this season and he hasn’t. Does he need longer with much much much support? In my opinion yes but I know I’m in the minority.

we know we got to do things different. We know that just sacking a manager won’t solve anything (maybe give us a new manager bounce) but we all know that this club is in a right mess and it’s going to take more than a manager to solve it. We need to stop masking how bad it is by blaiming the manager and look longer term and at the bigger picture. (And I’m the first to say this season hasn’t been good enough).I just can’t find it in myself to blame one man for this mess. I feel for him actually. It’s one hell of a tough job.
I agree with you as well. Seems like he abandoned his own ideas and principles in order to survive at the club. I too hope he turns it around, because he’s a much better manager than what this current season would have you believe.