Marco Asensio

SungSam7

Maybe on a cheap transfer is worth the risk or even a bench player. But noway should we sign as taking away a sizeable chunk from the transfer budget though.

Also, we should sign him on the terms that he actually wants to play in England, I get the feeling a lot of Spanish players dont like the thoughts of playing in England.

Grande

Apart from a wand of a left foot, he never really had any outstanding qualities. He's not skillful, not really a great passer, his movement is ordinary and he's not a quick player.
Very different from someone like Isco who was a genuine crack.
Is he a high-end southpaw Pereira?

captaincantona

Is he a high-end southpaw Pereira?
ETH also fancies the auld inverted wide forward so he fits as an option on both the right and up front. Bargain basement stuff but we could do worse...he is driven and has a point to prove if Madrid let him go.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I wouldn't underestimate him. Could imagine that he thrives in Ten Hag's system.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Don’t rate him that highly but I’d take him for a cut price deal just to add options to our attack. Truth is Elanga is bang average and if Rashfords form doesn’t pick up hes awful so we would be left with basically no options. Could be astute business.

RoyH1

Amazing left foot on the guy. Not the fastest after his injury though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Doubt there’s any truth in this link. Came out of no where

Jibbs

Real’s Lingaard. Real consider us their Everton. They bin all their trash to United.

Oranges038

Yeah, let's replace Mata with someone who is weaker, maybe not slower but nowhere near as good on the ball or off it.

Great idea.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
His game has stagnated since his goal in the CL final. Will score the occasional screamer but his passing/crossing/pace/creativity/work rate is fairly ordinary ... Would be just about decent for a tier 4 team like West Ham/Roma/Lazio/Valencia/Leicester. We should flog Asensio and promote Sergio Arribas to the first team as backup to Rodrygo.

GlasgowCeltic

His game has stagnated since his goal in the CL final. Will score the occasional screamer but his passing/crossing/pace/creativity/work rate is fairly ordinary ... Would be just about decent for a tier 4 team like West Ham/Roma/Lazio/Valencia/Leicester. We should flog Asensio and promote Sergio Arribas to the first team as backup to Rodrygo.
great ball striker with poor work rate passing and creativity….so left footed Rashford

Wayne's World

100% take him, left-footer and extremely good dribbling. He's stagnated at Madrid and a fresh move would do him the world of good I reckon

3-4 years ago he was probably the most outstanding Spanish player coming through but he still shows flashes of brilliance, maybe Ten Hag can get him as a consistant performer

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
great ball striker with poor work rate passing and creativity….so left footed Rashford
Not true, his work rate is actually great and tracks back a lot. I'm seeing ten Hag using him like he did Ziyech. Asensio is even quicker than Ziyech so it should work. Pinpoint crosses and throughballs for Ronaldo and would add more control to our play. Would he be my first choice? No but for 20m he would be a good signing.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think he could be a steal with a team willing to give him a run of games. I would much prefer a cut price Asensio to spending 55 million on a Raphinha.

It’s worth the gamble at a lower price. It can be very hard for players to be consistent when they are shunted in and out of a team and don’t play consistently, but I think he has ability.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I love him, he has a fabulous left foot, and scores goals easily when he is close to the area.
He would add a lot of technical quality to your team.
He considers himself a superstar and I think he needs to vindicate himself to go to the World Cup and show his true potential.
I think he's going to demand a very high salary but he's still pretty cheap.
However, all in all, I wouldn't sign him. His problem is not technical quality, it's his head.
An example is when he was asked about his leadership role in the team and he replied that it wasn't his responsibility.
He disappears in one game, goes two games on the bench, plays 20 minutes super active and scores a great goal, plays again 90 minutes and disappoints again and so on and so on.
When it became known that he might leave, many madridistas clearly indicated his destiny "to Arsenal or Italy".

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Rashford runs into walls when he is pressured, Asensio misplaces passes when he is pressured. But other than that, their careers have meandered fairly similarly.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
A cheaper left footed forward - what are our options? Basically none.

I'm a huge fan of McNeil but he isn't exactly a forward.

diarm

I love him, he has a fabulous left foot, and scores goals easily when he is close to the area.
He would add a lot of technical quality to your team.
He considers himself a superstar and I think he needs to vindicate himself to go to the World Cup and show his true potential.
I think he's going to demand a very high salary but he's still pretty cheap.
However, all in all, I wouldn't sign him. His problem is not technical quality, it's his head.
An example is when he was asked about his leadership role in the team and he replied that it wasn't his responsibility.
He disappears in one game, goes two games on the bench, plays 20 minutes super active and scores a great goal, plays again 90 minutes and disappoints again and so on and so on.
When it became known that he might leave, many madridistas clearly indicated his destiny "to Arsenal or Italy".
It's like you're describing Rashford.

CM

If we were able to get him for a reduced fee it might not be the worst idea in the world. Left footed right winger with a year left on his contract.

I wouldn't imagine there are many options out there for us without spending big.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A loan with fee like how Arsenal did with Odegaard and Ceballos or Bale Spurs would’ve been worth it, but with a year left on his contract I don’t think that’ll happen.

I can see the pluses to this rumour, but I also think there’s too many question marks around him to suggest he’ll fully pick it back up to justify signing him and giving him a 4+1 deal.

Trex

We have been linked with right wing options all of a sudden, Anthony, Chamberlain, Trossard, Asensio ....which is good. My pick is Anthony.

OleGunnar20

Eh, just seems like a bad attitude waiting to happen. Could well be wrong but I really really want us to avoid Divas wherever possible this year.

We've a ton of rebuilding to do and a bare bones squad to do it upon - let's get the core personalities right this time, no more Martials if we can help it.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm happy with him in the squad but if he wants to play regularly he does need to get out of Real Madrid. Not sure if Manchester United should take him, they're not super stacked but he needs to go 1 tier or 2 below if he wants regular game time.

userman

One year left on his contract so should be attainable for a reasonabe fee seing the recent developments of players running doown their contracts. Left footed, goal threat & assists provider, good pace, and more suitable for posession-football rather than counter-play compared to Rashord or whoever we got for RW. 26 and still offers some resell value on him if he doesn't succeed or other better option from within the cloub or externally arise the next years (provided that he comes here on reasonable wages).

MrEleson

He would be a very underwhelming signing based on his form over the last 2 years. Solid back-up option at a top club at best. Not starter material.

izec

Nah, he is not good. Had a bad injury not too long ago, and since then he is inconsistent and really not that good, after being on a good path initially. Another one who will not fulfil his early promise and potential.

NoPace

His lack of pace and just generally not being good on the counter made him anonymous in the cl games I watched so he got dropped for Valverde and Rodrygo.

However he plays for Spain, is a left-footed RW in his prime years and if we play like Ajax he might do well for us in this new system. Doesn’t have the agility to play the role Antony does where he drops deep and on the touch line to open up the half space and receive passes in non dangerous areas but dribble and link up to get Ajax from the halfway line to the final third.

I sort of like Ziyech better but if this was cheap, considering our front 3 has no left-footers and if Bruno is a 10 for Ten Hag then either Rashford or Amad are starting at the moment, this might make sense if the fee is cheap enough. But will it be? Seems like a Sociedad or Betis might want to secure him while they can?