Marco Delvecchio, or Serie A players of the past

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Stylish attacker who did a decent job of filling the void left by Van Basten at Milan in the early-to-mid 1990s.

Moby

Dick
@Damien can you by any chance pull out the "90s Serie A Draft" Thread from the newbs? You can keep it locked, but it had some absolute gems from the 90s Serie A that would be great to talk about again.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Fantastic player who were everywhere on the pitch

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Minkaro

Didn't even check to see if he's past or present. I'm just going to pretend he's finished even if he isn't.
He's actually playing for Bologna now. 35 though, so he's close enough to being finished that I think you can get away with it.

Moby

Dick

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I mind when Juventus pumped Rangers twice in the Champions League in 1995. There was Torricelli, Di Livio, Conte and Tacchinardi - I've never seen such a collection of hard-working, hard-running midfielders in my life. They were 4-0 up with minutes to go and still buzzing around like they were a goal down. Machines.
Yep, hard working side indeed, particularly Di Livio, its really all i remember him for.

Jagga7

90's Italian football :drool:. Football Italia on Saturday mornings and then a Sunday afternoon game then in between play Champ Man, great times as a kid!

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Verona side that won the Scudetto in 1985, a feat comparable to what Leicester would do winning the PL title. Lived in Italy at the time and was in Verona at the time for the wild celebration. Getting hammered and swimming in some fountain in Verona with Italian girls and loads of mischief. Only really remember the big German centre half Breigal and the Danish striker Eljaer and the fantastic Italian midfielder, Antonio di Gennaro from that side.

Another thing I vaguely recall about that year is that there was some kind of rule change for referee selection that season and coincidentally several traditionally poor or mid table sides did very well and finished near the top, then suddenly they changed the referee selection back to what it was and the traditional Italian powerhouses went back to dominating Italian football. Does anyone else remember that, and what exactly went on?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Nobby style

Elkjaer’s exploits changed Italian football. In the past, a single man had been responsible for appointing referees. An easy target for Italian-style influencing by rich presidents of big clubs. For the 1984/85 season, the Italian FA had replaced this practise with a system of random referee appointments. Coincidence or not – it was that year that Verona won the Serie A. Shocked by the result, the Italian FA quickly reinstated their referee-appointer, to the satisfaction of a few wealthy presidents. Since then, no minor side has ever won the Serie A again. It makes Elkjaer’s achievement with Verona all the more extraordinary. Hellas Verona were relegated the season after Elkjaer left, putting his importance to his team and the title win in perspective.

Nobby style

@Nobby style

Elkjaer’s exploits changed Italian football. In the past, a single man had been responsible for appointing referees. An easy target for Italian-style influencing by rich presidents of big clubs. For the 1984/85 season, the Italian FA had replaced this practise with a system of random referee appointments. Coincidence or not – it was that year that Verona won the Serie A. Shocked by the result, the Italian FA quickly reinstated their referee-appointer, to the satisfaction of a few wealthy presidents. Since then, no minor side has ever won the Serie A again. It makes Elkjaer’s achievement with Verona all the more extraordinary. Hellas Verona were relegated the season after Elkjaer left, putting his importance to his team and the title win in perspective.
Thanks for clearing that up. Good one. Seems to confirm the dark side of Italian football that once again came to light a few years ago with the relegation of Juventus. What I´m not really getting is how Elkjaer´s exploits actually changed Italian football. Granted this was a long time ago; I recall the Danish striker knocking them in the auld onion bag at a fantastic rate that year, but it seems to me di Genarro was the motor of that side. Maybe I´m not recalling quite clearly how great Elkjaer was that year.

Anyway, how did his exploits actually change Italian football?

Or do you mean that his fantastic season made the Italian FA change back to the old ways to insure no more unfashionable sides would raise the Scudetto again?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Thanks for clearing that up. Good one. Seems to confirm the dark side of Italian football that once again came to light a few years ago with the relegation of Juventus. What I´m not really getting is how Elkjaer´s exploits actually changed Italian football. Granted this was a long time ago; I recall the Danish striker knocking them in the auld onion bag at a fantastic rate that year, but it seems to me di Genarro was the motor of that side. Maybe I´m not recalling quite clearly how great Elkjaer was that year.

Anyway, how did his exploits actually change Italian football?

Or do you mean that his fantastic season made the Italian FA change back to the old ways to insure no more unfashionable sides would raise the Scudetto again?
It's not my text, I just copied it, but yes, they mean that his fantastic performance and the eventual Scudetto for Hellas Verona made them reconsider their decision to help the traditionally big guys return to the top (the second team that year was Junior's Torino, not Juve or Milan or Roma too).

Elkjaer is widely regarded as the best player of that team though - and that is reflected on the Ballon D'Or vote that year (he is second in 1985 only behind Platini). Breigel and du Genarro were fantastic too, of course. For what it's worth media rating has Breigel, Garella, Tricella and Di Genarro ahead of him.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
@Damien can you by any chance pull out the "90s Serie A Draft" Thread from the newbs? You can keep it locked, but it had some absolute gems from the 90s Serie A that would be great to talk about again.
My favorite all time draft to participate in

thepolice123

Has this guy been posted? For some reason I remembered him.

Danish striker Jon Dahl Tomasson. Was a pretty decent striker.

thepolice123

Surprised this guy hasn't been posted.

One of my favourite strikers from the early 00s.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Has this guy been posted? For some reason I remembered him.

Danish striker Jon Dahl Tomasson. Was a pretty decent striker.
Saw him yesterday at an airport. Was pretty random. He's part Icelandic which you could guess by his last name.

dead joe

I mind when Juventus pumped Rangers twice in the Champions League in 1995. There was Torricelli, Di Livio, Conte and Tacchinardi - I've never seen such a collection of hard-working, hard-running midfielders in my life. They were 4-0 up with minutes to go and still buzzing around like they were a goal down. Machines.
Well actually an other set of midfielders that compares is... Juventus just a couple years later, with Davids and Deschamps added to the side.

Last edited:

vanthaman

Winner
How has no one mentioned this guy
(edit just seen he has been posted, no harm posting him again though)

And even Roberto Baggio hasn't been posted

salford_

Alvaro Recoba, Beppe Signori, was a massive Crespo fan too.

Pessotto ex Juve fullback. Aldair of Roma. Luigi di Biagio. Dino Baggio. Always a big fan of Salas too, in his Lazio days. Decent little player

salford_

Sinisa Mihajlovic, not only top free kicks but his corner kicks were phenomenal.

Great shouts of Lombardo and Recoba and Montella. Recoba seems to be almost forgotten despite his talent.

George Weah

Serginho. Remember being linked or fans wanted him to replace Ryan Giggs on the left.

Vialli when he had hair and Mancini. This was my introduction to Serie A in 1990, was lucky to witness such a league triumph.

Gianluigi Lentini. I couldn't believe the transfer fee at the time in 1992 13 million, worlds most expensive player for a few years.
The day Vialli joined Chelsea I remember having to convince my mate just how good he was, he was having none of it. And he was very good for Chelsea as i think Casiraghi would have been too once he'd settled

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Marcelo Salas.

I remember reading back in 1997 that we were nailed on to sign him, then he turns up in Italy and I was distraught.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Kakhaber Kaladze - Former defender/ left midfielder for Milan - winning 2 European Cups, and 5 Georgian Player of the Year awards - now the deputy Prime Minister of Georgia. :eek:

Tomáš Ujfaluši - Former Czech Republic captain, and really underrated player overall.

Iván Córdoba - 5'8" Internazionale cult hero, and one of the best central defenders of the 2000s, IMO.

Francesco Coco - Once dubbed the next Paolo Maldini. But he was more interested in things other than football:
"What's your favorite hobby?" "Women."

Matteo Brighi - Highest rated player on FIFA 2003, for some odd reason (over Maldini, Zidane, van Nistelrooy, Kahn, Henry, Ronaldo, Figo). :D * Ooh, he's still playing at Bologna.

Ariel Ortega - The Little Donkey lost his mojo in Seria A, unfortunately.

Devil81

Anyone else feel sad looking back at these photo's, these players are my childhood and young adult life.

Football just doesn't feel the same once you're older than the players.

Nobby style

El Tino Asprilla, "la gacela negra," eccentric part of those fantastic 90s Parma sides. Was on a role where he was possibly the best, most exciting striker in the world, but in typical Asprilla fashion, went home to Colombia for a brief visit, partied beyond belief, and ended up getting out of his head and kicking in the glass door of a bus and slicing the feck out of his leg - out for like three months. Never quite reached that world class level again. A loveable, massive feck up. Had to laugh when he said in a interview with a huge toothy grin and guffaw that several of his Italian Parma teammates used to smoke during halftime. He also couldn´t believe how much beer his Newcastle teammates used to regularly drink.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Asprilla scored 3 goals against FC Barcelona in the ECL in 97/98 :cool:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
But he scored 16 goals - all competitions - in 3 years with Newcastle :wenger: