Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He's fast and he makes good runs. This is negated by the fact that he isn't much of a creator nor finisher; has next to no end product, and constantly runs into danger losing the ball.

He's poor more often than not and people think somehow think he's amazing. It's baffling to me.
I dont agree.

AXVnee7

His movement is incredible, but I feel he needs to improve markedly in the 1v1 situations. He found himself in a situation like that again today but didn't score. I think those situations, especially at an angle are harder then they're made out to be but he has ability to be better.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Give him a break. He is 19 years old and a great talent. Things did not work out for him today and he should have passed it in more often than he shot.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why can't we play him and Martial?

All season we are going to be moaning about a lack of pace to break teams down.

What is wrong with him and Lukaku up front as well? We needed a goal.
Christ. There is no lack of pace in the side. It's like people don't even both looking to see who's playing. Explain to me how an attack including Lukaku, Micky, Rashford, Pogba, Valencia, Herrera lacks pace? Having someone to bring on with pace to burn against tired legs is far more effective which is why one of the two isn't currently starting.

His movement was great, dribbling was off and on. But his decision making let him down a couple of times today, a bit too selfish with the ball at times. Sometimes he tries to take on one person to many or take the shot when there's a wide open teammate to be laid off on the break. There was one chance in particular just after we went up 2-1 that frustrated me, and they went and scored a few minutes later. All in all not a bad performance but not a great one from Marcus, but I would like to see him and Martial on either side of Mkhi next game.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
His movement was great, dribbling was off and on. But his decision making let him down a couple of times today, a bit too selfish with the ball at times. Sometimes he tries to take on one person to many or take the shot when there's a wide open teammate to be laid off on the break. There was one chance in particular just after we went up 2-1 that frustrated me, and they went and scored a few minutes later. All in all not a bad performance but not a great one from Marcus, but I would like to see him and Martial on either side of Mkhi next game.
I agree with this and I am a big fan of him. Should have passed it instead of shooting on more than one occasion.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Said it before but any attempt to liken him to Ronaldo is silly. Technically not in the same league.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Rashford's past 2 games prior to this one had shown me him improving on the one thing I've been critical of him which was end product. Against Leicester and with England he showed maturity in his play and good end product which is what I want to see more than endless running and energy.

The problem I've had with Rashford and the reason why I've repeatedly say that he's overrated on the Caf is that he's rated way to way on the basis on his constant running and "what would be threat" movement but his end product lack immensely.

Rashford will do something exiting in the build when the play is going toward goal with his pace and such than let himself down with poor end product. It'd either be bad finishing or bad decision making. These are the things top players should have and be rated on. Their lethality and potency with that final play.

The past 2 games I previously mentioned where the ones I saw Rashford improving on them which is why I've been quite satisfy seeing him starting the Stoke game. I've never been a fan of Rashford being a starter due to his lack of end product and I've always thought he's ridiculously overrated on the caf (he actually is).

I've been optimistic due to his past 2 games but this one against Stoke he once again showed poor decision making and lack of lethality in that final play. Moments where he should have easily and simply square a ball to put a teamate through on goal or with a clear shot to the keeper, he decided to hold onto the ball and kept dribbling or simply made a poor pass(these often happen also because his head is always down. Need to learn to look up). These are the sort of things which are irritating with Rashford.

He simply has to step up his final balls play otherwise it's all huff and puff without end product and no such player should be rated highly, no matter how fast and pacy they are otherwise he'll always keep getting himself in dangerous situation due to his pace but people won't be expecting much to come from them.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The good thing though is that he's improving. He's probably the most improved player from our squad relative from where they started when they first played for us.

I don't remember Rashford running the ball out of play while running with the ball this season. Last season it was quite frequent and it seemed like he couldn't have control of a ball in his stride.

He's come a long way.

Edit: There is nothing wrong in stating that Rashford has poor decision making and his final product is quite poor, that's simply the truth.

I get getting upset over someone completely not rating him at all but stating some of his obvious weaknesses isn't something to get rattled over.

Last edited:

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
There is nothing wrong in stating that Rashford has poor decision making and his final product is quite poor, that's simply the truth.

I get getting upset over someone completely not rating him at all but stating some of his obvious weaknesses isn't something to get rattled over.
No it isn't. The thing is he often tries stuff that doesn't come off, but the things he does try very often seem to be deciding factors in the outcome of a game, so I think that at his age he has to be given some leeway. If he tries 5 things that don't come off, but then 1 thing that does and it leads to a goal, then the cost/benefit ratio is still working in his favour. These obv aren't exact stats but that's the overall impression I get. He tries a lot of stuff and a lot of it doesn't come off, but the things that do are really potent in an attacking sense. It's this combined with the fact that he's so young and has made a steady improvement trajectory, good attitude etc lead me to believe he's in no way overrated.

But yeah no problem with pointing out the flaws in his game. The talk of him being absolutely useless by some tho is just annoyingly blinkered.

redIndianDevil

Rashford is still raw as ever, I don't think he is ever really in control of the ball when he is dribbling, always looks like he's going to end up in a cul de sac, but his movement is brilliant. I though Martial would grab his chance against Leicester but he ended up being average against them. I don't think either Martial or Rashford are good enough for us to mount a title challenge.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
But I disagree that his decision making is always poor. I think most of the time it's pretty good. But when he makes a big mistake at a crucial moment it stands out. But that game for example, a lot of the players were making mistakes. Pogba was constantly giving the ball away. Don't know if some people on here are gonna start saying he's useless too, wouldn't be surprised.

fellaini's barber

Where the people gushing about his goal today being funny? 'What a talent we have on our hands'...? Anyways he wasn't great today, and like I said in the match thread, his decision making is trash. Time and time again. He simply is not a very intelligent footballer

Obiorahking_

Where the people gushing about his goal today being funny? 'What a talent we have on our hands'...? Anyways he wasn't great today, and like I said in the match thread, his decision making is trash. Time and time again. He simply is not a very intelligent footballer
Name a 19 year old winger you consider intelligent. It is utter madness you expect high level decision making from a teenager who plays in a position that requires the most risk taking. :lol::lol:

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I still prefer him coming off the bench. His dribbling hasn't improved but needs to start getting his head up more and looking to release the ball, a few times today he dribbled and ignored runs from Lukaku and Pogba. He's more than capable of this as shown with his asssist for Lukaku vs West Ham

el3mel

This thread is really strange. Some days ago people were comparing his start to Ronaldo and Mbappe, now today look at this. :lol:

This thread is hanging between overrating and underrating like no other thread.

Obiorahking_

People will always criticise him for losing the ball, wrong passes but forget that those moments of play are almost the only one to cause any danger. Rather he tries and tries than just pass the safe ball sidewards.
ThisX100. People are write to criticize moments where Rashford makes the wrong decision, but to label him as a poor decision maker is extreme. I don't think there is a winger in the world right now that dosen't make at least 3-5 bad decisions in a game, and that is me being generous.
Look at Sanchez, Neymar, Di Maria, Mane, and Hazard, alll of them are top class wingers but rarely ever do they go a game without making many mistakes;however, at the end of the day, you look at their stats and their moments have magic and none of that matters.

fellaini's barber

Name a 19 year old winger you consider intelligent. It is utter madness you expect high level decision making from a teenager who plays in a position that requires the most risk taking. :lol::lol:
Mbappe, Martial, Dembelee all intelligent players age regardless. Passing the ball to your teammate in space is not 'high level decision making' ffs, it's actually pretty basic stuff and easier than running into blind alleys all the time. And enough with the 'he's just 19' crap when he's criticized, he is a first team player for Manchester United so yeah, I kind of expect something from him. If he is this 19 year old who shouldn't be judged because he's so young then maybe our first choice winger should be a more experienced footballer I can have expectations on. Also :lol::lol:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
People will always criticise him for losing the ball, wrong passes but forget that those moments of play are almost the only one to cause any danger. Rather he tries and tries than just pass the safe ball sidewards.
Its not even just Rashford who it happens to but I find it mad the amount of hate and blame one of our players gets after having a chance saved or missed completely ignoring the work and intelligence they did to even get into that position in the first place. Rashford can make an amazing run and breakthrough their back line but its still a pretty hard chance and the keeper makes a nice save then it means he has shit end product and is horrible. But other players who don't even make those runs or get into those positions won't be complained about because they didn't miss a chance.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Always backed Rashford. But his close control whilst dribbling is poor (more a kick-and-out-pace in this regard), getting greedy on the ball paired with bad decision making, and not really a great finisher when he has the time to think about it.

On the flip side he's young and has a good attitude so hopefully he'll improve on these things.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Mbappe, Martial, Dembelee all intelligent players age regardless. Passing the ball to your teammate in space is not 'high level decision making' ffs, it's actually pretty basic stuff and easier than running into blind alleys all the time. And enough with the 'he's just 19' crap when he's criticized, he is a first team player for Manchester United so yeah, I kind of expect something from him. If he is this 19 year old who shouldn't be judged because he's so young then maybe our first choice winger should be a more experienced footballer I can have expectations on. Also :lol::lol:
Running into blind alleys, Martial intelligent. Bit contradictory there.

fellaini's barber

Running into blind alleys, Martial intelligent. Bit contradictory there.
Martial does that too, but is actually an intelligent passer. Even the likes of Mbappe and Dembele have their moments where their age and inexperience shows, but with Rashford those moments are routine. I really hope he can improve on it, for the teams sake

Devil may care

He looked our most dangerous player in the first half and his movement was excellent, the biggest issue at times is he doesn't have great close control when he tries to dribble he runs himself into trouble.

Obiorahking_

Mbappe, Martial, Dembelee all intelligent players age regardless. Passing the ball to your teammate in space is not 'high level decision making' ffs, it's actually pretty basic stuff and easier than running into blind alleys all the time.
If you actually watched Mbappe, Martial or Demebele play, instead of watching their highlights, you would know that those players make stupid mistakes like that all the time. Granted, Rashford at the moment might not have the same talent as they do, but they all make really bad decisions at all points of the game. That dosen't make them unintelligent footballers.
And enough with the 'he's just 19' crap when he's criticized, he is a first team player for Manchester United so yeah, I kind of expect something from him. If he is this 19 year old who shouldn't be judged because he's so young then maybe our first choice winger should be a more experienced footballer I can have expectations on.
You have a right to criticize him all you want, but you can't label him an unintelligent footballer when nearly all his peers at his age and even still today make the same unintelligent mistakes.

Obiorahking_

Even the likes of Mbappe and Dembele have their moments where their age and inexperience shows, but with Rashford those moments are routine.
Those moments are routine for Mbappe and Dembele as well. The difference is that they have better end product than Rashford. You have no idea what you are talking about and you are just further confirming you never watch them play.

fellaini's barber

Those moments are routine for Mbappe and Dembele as well. The difference is that they have better end product than Rashford. You have no idea what you are talking about and you are just further confirming you never watch them play.
Well genius, the reason they have better end products is because those moments are not so routine don't you think. The difference between them and Rashford is that well...they're better players in a lot of ways including decision making and intelligence. You are the clueless one here saying stuff like the difference between Mbappe/Dembele and Rashford is end product:lol:. Next you'll be telling us that Kane and Welbeck are the same except Kane scores a lot of goals. Well no shit Sherlock

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He looks like he's gone up a level since last season. Still needs to know when to stop running with the ball. A lot of times he simply runs it out of play.

Obiorahking_

Well genius, the reason they have better end products is because those moments are not so routine don't you think. The difference between them and Rashford is that well...they're better players in a lot of ways including decision making and intelligence. You are the clueless one here saying stuff like the difference between Mbappe/Dembele and Rashford is end product:lol:. Next you'll be telling us that Kane and Welbeck are the same except Kane scores a lot of goals. Well no shit Sherlock
Your faulty logic continues. If Mbappe, Rashford, and Dembele are making near the same amount of mistakes per game, then it is routine for all of them. The difference is that other prospects are better at producing than others. It dosen't make them better decision makers, it makes them better players. For them to be better decision makers would mean they would make much better decisions than Rashford which isn't the case as you have admitted. Just because you put lipstick on a pig dosen't change the fact that its a pig. Simple stuff.

Furthermore you would know that the reason that Mbappe and Dembele are better players isn't because of their decision making ability. They are much more clinical and they are better dribblers than Rashford which means that they can take on their player with more accuracy and get into more dangerous positions.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Lifting his head up once in a while would solve many of his problems.

Rashford just misses to see the people around him making runs when he's in full stride with the ball. He often has his head down and hardly look up, it something he should work on. Secondly he also need to work on his weaker foot because one can tell sometimes he refuses to attempt those final passes in dangerous position because he's not confident with his weaker foot which leads him to overdribbling in an attempt to get the ball in a position, place or foot he's comfortable with.

Obiorahking_

Also @fellaini's barber equating the quality of one's passing ability to ones decision making is a false equivalence. The quality of one's passing ability is predicated upon the quality of the delivery of the ball itself within its circumstances. Decision making is based on the choices the player makes within a certain situation. Lets use Di Maria and Mane for as examples. Di Maria makes poor decisions all the time compared to Mane but I will take Di Maria's passing ability over Mane's any day of the week because his delivery and accuracy is simply much better.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
How can anyone not see he is improving so much is beyond me. Our best player in the first half imo. Wish he could finish some of his chances though.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Has all the talent in the world but is a supremely frustrating player. Runs up his own arse at times and all too often never gets his head up to see the obvious pass.

This is something that could possibly be attributed to youth and can easily be improved upon. Makes some lovely runs and gets into great positions only to waste the chance by losing the ball rather carelessly.

I'm confident the boy can become a great player for us though but he has a lot of improvement to do.

OL29

I think he can reach a similar level to Bale if he brings everything together. Both have similar attributes imo. He's still wasteful at times but the improvement to his all round game evident. Very encouraging.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Only Wayne Rooney (15) scored more Premier League goals as a teenager for Man Utd than Rashford has (currently 12, same as Ryan Giggs).

ZDwyr

People are being too harsh. He probably faded a bit but he was still one of our best IMO.

Arka_BleedingRed

Lifting his head up once in a while would solve many of his problems.

Rashford just misses to see the people around him making runs when he's in full stride with the ball. He often has his head down and hardly look up, it something he should work on. Secondly he also need to work on his weaker foot because one can tell sometimes he refuses to attempt those final passes in dangerous position because he's not confident with his weaker foot which leads him to overdribbling in an attempt to get the ball in a position, place or foot he's comfortable with.
I think it is also a issue of not having a flexible mind. If he waits and sees the play before him, he can deliver a good ball. But when he is in the flow and has decided to shoot or pass, he just cannot improvise on his decision even if he is being intercepted or a mate has come into a better position, quite similar to Rooney sometimes. But I think Mourinho should have brought on Martial earlier or kept Rashford longer and played them together, as the game was right for their pace and trickery. Pogba in tight games is also very erratic in his decision making. Until and unless that improves, he is still far off being considered as a World Class Midfielder.

AgentP

That run just after our second goal was such a wasted opportunity. Mkhi was totally free on the left but I don't think he even saw him. Needs to improve on this aspect of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.