Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So so so relieved for him to have scored that. Had an awful feeling from the second he got subbed onhthat he would miss a pen when it got to it. Didnt want him to head into the season feeling the blame of a missed penalty being the cause of losing, but fair play to him, was a brilliant pen and he looked relaxed.

ROFLUTION

Thought it was so wrong of Southgate to put him on the pen after he missed that through-on-goal in the other game, probably giving him less confidence.

Kid has bigger balls than Randy Marsh in that South Park episode

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
feck me did he put it away, too.

RedPamie

I was so worried he'd bottle that.... But what a confidence! This is very good for his development. Well done Rashford!

el3mel

Great pen. Didn't look affected by the occasion at all and scored like a usual routine.

Shimo

Big ole cobra balls on him to step up and take one. Well done Rashford ! Am surprised he didn't come on when England were protecting the league. He is such a terrier defending from the front.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Thought it was so wrong of Southgate to put him on the pen after he missed that through-on-goal in the other game, probably giving him less confidence.

Players put their names forward for taking penalties in shootouts. I imagine Southgate would have preferred Vardy taking one over, say, Henderson for example but Vardy didn't put his name forward.

Classical Mechanic

He would have wanted to come on just to take one. Mourinho says he has an incredible mentality. He wants the responsibility. He wants to be a big time player.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Players put their names forward for taking penalties in shootouts. I imagine Southgate would have preferred Vardy taking one over, say, Henderson for example but Vardy didn't put his name forward.
That's really surprising. Vardy strikes you as such a self-confident son of a gun.

Tony Babangida

To be fair, Vardy was holding his groin and couldn't run properly when the team celebrated the pens, so I guess that's why he didn't volunteer for one.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
ITV seemed pretty confident that 6 players put their hands up with Vardy being one of those. He was probably taking the 6th penalty if that was the case

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That penalty alone shows why he's United material. After missing a fairly eas chance against Belgium, he comes into probably the most tense game of his career yet, volunteers and puts away a penalty like it was nothing. That's the character you need to play for Manchester United.

Morpheus 7

Cracking penalty, delighted for Marcus didn't really care about the result. Just didn't want any United player to make a big mistake, Rashford can be ice cold in front of goal when he's focused.

Giggs86

Any chance of him getting minutes against Sweden? Would love for him to have a go at it.

Rajma

He really belongs here. Very calm and composed given the pressure and his age. Should be starting or at very least coming on as a sub around 60th minute, very poor game management from Southgate. In fact, Southgate’s clear inability to read the game will be England’s undoing at some point. Half of the Columbian team were on yellow cards and he refuses to sub in a player that would run directly at them at full speed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've never seen him take a penalty before so I was really worried, you never know what sort of shooting boots he's got on :lol:

Fair play though he absolutely buried it, never looked in doubt once he struck it. Didn't like the stuttered run up though :nervous:

Wish they brought him on instead of Vardy as he just didn't have enough time to get into the match, Vardy did sod all.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I've never seen him take a penalty before so I was really worried, you never know what sort of shooting boots he's got on :lol:

Fair play though he absolutely buried it, never looked in doubt once he struck it. Didn't like the stuttered run up though :nervous:

Wish they brought him on instead of Vardy as he just didn't have enough time to get into the match, Vardy did sod all.
His first ever professional penalty.

The only one I've ever seen was for his hat-trick in an U21 game when England were already 5 goals up or something...

Adam-Utd

His first ever professional penalty.

The only one I've ever seen was for his hat-trick in an U21 game when England were already 5 goals up or something...
Ah yes now you say that I did watch that game, it was right before he got his first team call up. Nice to know he's got a good penalty in his locker, confidence is huge for a striker.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I just don't see how Vardy fits in to the team. A ball over the top of a high line, and there's few you'd want on the end of it over Vardy, but this team isn't playing on the counter. Without that space to run at, he looks useless. Rashford is a much better option. Or even Welbeck!

Adam-Utd

I just don't see how Vardy fits in to the team. A ball over the top of a high line, and there's few you'd want on the end of it over Vardy, but this team isn't playing on the counter. Without that space to run at, he looks useless. Rashford is a much better option. Or even Welbeck!
I can see if we're winning and sitting deep then it's a great option, but his pace / energy just doesn't seem the same.

For Leicester he's usually running his nuts off for 90 minutes, but I don't think he even broke into a sprint to pressure their defence once last night. I feel like he's carrying a slight injury or something, just doesn't seem too have that blistering top end pace.

I personally thought the first sub should have been Rashford / Sterling and RLF for Alli.

El Zoido

Must have put his name forward for the penalty despite never taking them. Top lad.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just to refute my own point yesterday, some great data stuff coming from @jburnmurdoch, including best strikers pre-20. Largely to hype just how incredible Mbappe is, but still:

Some pretty heady company for young Rashers on there, especially when you consider how often he's out wide. Also kind of refutes the Henry being crap til 22 myth.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
How can you not love this kid?

Here ya go. Not in English and sound slightly delayed but whatever. Funny how they pronounce Pickford.

https://streamgoals.com/video/d58d2d6b44
The moment you said that I knew it was our very own Szpakowski from Polish public TV. The old git is your typical creepy ol' uncle who keeps mistaking players' names and spouting cliches all the time. Gets the job 'cause he generates the mood' apparently. Tbf he wasn't all bad, only messed up Pickford once or twice and said Kane was taking the penalty after Rashford when it was Falcao.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I was nervous as he stepped up, due to his age and a certain fear that the media would scapegoat him if he missed, which even as a rival fan you don't want to see happen to any young player. The guy showed nerves of steel though, to walk up for his national side at the age of 20 (!!!) and take a penalty the way he did was incredibly impressive. Not many players in his age group would have the confidence to do it. Especially with all the added pressure which comes with taking a penalty for England, which I'm sure he would have been aware of. I'm a pretty big fan of his, and think a lot of the criticism levelled his way is entirely unfair. He's 20 years of age. expecting him to be anywhere near a finished product is ridiculous. Some people look at the likes of Mbappe and go 'Well he's already capable of this and this', which again is completely unfair because the likes of Mbappe or Messi are outliers in the football world, the vast majority are nowhere near ready at this age.

Look at Harry Kane, a footballer who was being loaned out pretty much anywhere who would take him. Progression isn't always linear, at his age an inconsistent season or two is absolutely to be expected. Alli has just had an off year (with still plenty of glimpses of his quality) and many immediately rush out to declare him overrated, rather than accepting the fact he's 22 years old and far from the finished product. Rashford is two years younger than even that, how many people have everything worked out at that age? The fact he's stepping up for Manchester United and England and not looking out of place is incredibly impressive. Those 2 goals against Liverpool this season, the penalty he scored yesterday .. these are the high pressure situations that many wilt under. He also seems like a really mature, likeable character, and if only for England's sake I hope he continues to develop well as I've been really impressed by him thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.