Marcus Rashford is the most valuable player in our squad

Shark

@NotShark
Easily one of the top attacking players in the league now and moving up in Europe also. He has everything you want in a LF.

arthurka

Easily one of the top attacking players in the league now and moving up in Europe also. He has everything you want in a LF.
He is clearly one of the biggest talents in Europe. Hopefully we will get back on track and can offer him some success.

Stacks

I feel sad the way his season ended. Possibly our second most valuable player transfer fee wise if this is what the thread is about. I feel he and Martial fates are intertwined so it is hard to claim one is more valuable than the other.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Being past your best is not a problem when you were world class. Ours are yet to prove anything at a high level.

Wayne Rooney and Alexis Sanchez make me think differently. Ok you may still win a trophy with older players who’ve been there done that but if you want to be dominant over a period of time you’ve to find the best players and keep them together for a few seasons until it gels. That approach doesn’t bode well for older players.

Stacks

Obviously, but this was in response to someone who claimed only 2 teams in Europe have a better attack right now. it wasn't about "potential" which in itself as non measurable. We aren't yet top of the league, top scorers in the EPL nor top scorers in the champions league so it was a bold claim and a half

romufc

Being past your best is not a problem when you were world class. Ours are yet to prove anything at a high level. Remember we are 5th with very few wins and one of our worst point tally and 44 league goals. This is not an all conquering side, proven at the highest level.
Bayern thrashed Spurs and have 27 goals in the champions league (more than anyone else). Relying on Messi is not a problem as he is part of their attack. Only a season ago they smashed us with their frontline 3-0 and we barely managed 1 goal over 2 ties.
I am sure a Barcelona fan would laugh that we now claim our attack is superior! They have Griezmann and Suarez aswell.
Benzema contributed 41 G + A only last season and could easily do the same again. Being young doesn't necessarily translate to automatically being better than someone because they are old.
Correct but you have clearly failed to understand the original posters view. the 5 he mentioned was a hypothetical. Sancho is not a united player. Bruno has only been a player since January.

So yes, if a United line up included Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Bruno it will be better than the ones you have mentioned.

We are not talking about a strike force for the last season, this is a strike force for this and coming seasons.

No one mentioned being young means better but the stats where Suarez, Griezman, Benzema numbers are decreasing by the year whilst Martial, Rashford, Sancho numbers are increasing by the year.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maybe worth at least €85m?
Attacker, can play left & central, still 22 years old, good work rate + attitude & score goals. Only silly club will need to even think more than 1 minute to pay 85m for player like that. Think what he can offer & also think how long he can contribute to the club. Sometime it's not just about what the player has done or the current ability but also the potential.

Withnail

Being past your best is not a problem when you were world class. Ours are yet to prove anything at a high level. Remember we are 5th with very few wins and one of our worst point tally and 44 league goals. This is not an all conquering side, proven at the highest level.
Bayern thrashed Spurs and have 27 goals in the champions league (more than anyone else). Relying on Messi is not a problem as he is part of their attack. Only a season ago they smashed us with their frontline 3-0 and we barely managed 1 goal over 2 ties.
I am sure a Barcelona fan would laugh that we now claim our attack is superior! They have Griezmann and Suarez aswell.
Benzema contributed 41 G + A only last season and could easily do the same again. Being young doesn't necessarily translate to automatically being better than someone because they are old.
Yes we are 5th.

We also haven't played a season with even 3 of that fictional front 5 available for more than about 10 PL games so it's not really relevant.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Attacker, can play left & central, still 22 years old, good work rate + attitude & score goals. Only silly club will need to even think more than 1 minute to pay 85m for player like that. Think what he can offer & also think how long he can contribute to the club. Sometime it's not just about what the player has done or the current ability but also the potential.
I said at least which means it includes lowballers.

Stacks

Correct but you have clearly failed to understand the original posters view. the 5 he mentioned was a hypothetical. Sancho is not a united player. Bruno has only been a player since January.

So yes, if a United line up included Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Bruno it will be better than the ones you have mentioned.

We are not talking about a strike force for the last season, this is a strike force for this and coming seasons.

No one mentioned being young means better but the stats where Suarez, Griezman, Benzema numbers are decreasing by the year whilst Martial, Rashford, Sancho numbers are increasing by the year.
I didn't realise. Still, to claim an attack is better without seeing it in action is still a stretch. what formation, system or roles will they all have? some of these players are unproven in the champions league or even had a fully successful season with us in the premier league (Rashford had it for 3 months and Pogba had high performance for 12 games last season so it does appear hyperbole, even if we looked at them on an individual basis. There isn't historical data to back these claims up.

The potential is there

romufc

I didn't realise. Still, to claim an attack is better without seeing it in action is still a stretch. what formation, system or roles will they all have? some of these players are unproven in the champions league or even had a fully successful season with us in the premier league (Rashford had it for 3 months and Pogba had high performance for 12 games last season so it does appear hyperbole, even if we looked at them on an individual basis. There isn't historical data to back these claims up.

The potential is there
I understand what you are trying to say, the likes of Lewandowski, Suarz, Benzema have done it and proven it.

Having an attack ages 24, 24, 25, 22, 19 is always going to be a gamble because none of them have hit their prime.

I think it is more if they all live up to their potential and hype it could be something special.

We all know how good Pogba is, how good Rashford can be given some consistency and Sancho and Bruno will need to show they can do it in the PL for a longer period of time.

Even so, there is still Greenwood who is touted to be one of the best finishers to come through the academy.

Teja

I hope he can pick up where he left off. People forget but the start of this season was less than stellar, and a much maligned thread here ("Should we burst Rashy's bubble?") captured some sentiment about his poor performances. It used to be that he'd do everything right - his run, body shape etc. would be perfect and in the final moment where he took action (shot, pass, control etc.) he'd totally flub it. I assume this is just a player in bad form and he played through it, but it was very strange to watch.

His form definitely took a huge step up once Martial was back from injury and Rashford moved to LF but some of the underlying mistakes he made were really position independent. It's like one weekend he just woke up and a switch flipped in his head and he started doing the right thing and the goals and assists came - needs to keep doing that for another season atleast before I consider him more valuable than, say, Pogba.

Walters_19_MuFc

How many sides in the world have a better front 5 of Pogba, Bruno, Sancho?, Rashford & Martial? Man City, PSG maybe... I don’t really know any others.

If they form a cohesive unit we ‘should’ be an awesome attacking threat. Ole will have to earn his stripes again with a talented team. The pressure is going to be huge in these coming years to win things with those players.
We'd be definitely be up there regards talent on paper. As you said, if we can form a cohesive unit, then we should be dominating most teams and achieving silverware.

Stacks

I understand what you are trying to say, the likes of Lewandowski, Suarz, Benzema have done it and proven it.

Having an attack ages 24, 24, 25, 22, 19 is always going to be a gamble because none of them have hit their prime.

I think it is more if they all live up to their potential and hype it could be something special.

We all know how good Pogba is, how good Rashford can be given some consistency and Sancho and Bruno will need to show they can do it in the PL for a longer period of time.

Even so, there is still Greenwood who is touted to be one of the best finishers to come through the academy.
I mean I kind of agree with you because at this stage I would not swap our "hypothetical" attack for many of theirs as they will be on a downward curve where as ours is "potentially" upwards, plus we all can't help but get hyped for young players with potential as we are always on the lookout for the next Rooney, Ronaldo, etc. The most intriguing is what Ole will do with Bruno and Pogba. What formation or roles? I reckon throw Pogba in the deep role and have him spraying passes

romufc

I mean I kind of agree with you because at this stage I would not swap our "hypothetical" attack for many of theirs as they will be on a downward curve where as ours is "potentially" upwards, plus we all can't help but get hyped for young players with potential as we are always on the lookout for the next Rooney, Ronaldo, etc. The most intriguing is what Ole will do with Bruno and Pogba. What formation or roles? I reckon throw Pogba in the deep role and have him spraying passes
Yeah, I agree with what you are saying. It is important that we do not hype these players to be something they are not. That is why I have not put Greenwood in there as a starter, he still needs to develop for another season or two and realise what his potential actually is.

With Rashford he is no longer a potential, he needs to deliver 20 goals with Martial. I do think Pogba will thrive in the number 6 position with Bruno playing No 10.

Stacks

Yeah, I agree with what you are saying. It is important that we do not hype these players to be something they are not. That is why I have not put Greenwood in there as a starter, he still needs to develop for another season or two and realise what his potential actually is.

With Rashford he is no longer a potential, he needs to deliver 20 goals with Martial. I do think Pogba will thrive in the number 6 position with Bruno playing No 10.
you are making me miss football

el3mel

He was our best player in this season before what happened to football happened. Definitely showed he can easily step up to be a top player for us long term.

Withnail

Right, so how do we conclude it is a better attack than teams who are currently and previously better than us?
You can't as it's a claim about a hypothetical group of players, but you certainly can't disprove it by talking about a different set of players' performances.

EDIT: This whole thing seems to have been covered. Let's hope we see them all in action eh?

Son

Clearly, they are not that good. Juve and Barca rely on Ronaldo and Messi. The others dont really have a better front 5 as they are all ageing and past the best.
Totally agree with this.

Apart from a couple of Bayern matches in the Champions League this season I can’t think of any of those putting on a world class performance.

Juve, Barcelona and Madrid all look well past their best. Still good sides but you can deal with them unless Messi decides to win a game on his own.

Even he looks human this season but the drop in quality of his team mates along with in fighting and overall crumbling of the club in recent years should help us overtake them finally in the medium term.

romufc

Totally agree with this.

Apart from a couple of Bayern matches in the Champions League this season I can’t think of any of those putting on a world class performance.

Juve, Barcelona and Madrid all look well past their best. Still good sides but you can deal with them unless Messi decides to win a game on his own.

Even he looks human this season but the drop in quality of his team mates along with in fighting and overall crumbling of the club in recent years should help us overtake them finally in the medium term.
There are number of teams around Europe that will need a rebuild.

This will not be easy given how important the players they will have to replace.
Messi, Suarez, Pique for Barca
Benzema, Kroos, Ramos for Real
Lewandowski for Bayern
Juve team is not that great having watched them play a few times this season, they do not look great at all.

MrPooni

I feel sad the way his season ended. Possibly our second most valuable player transfer fee wise if this is what the thread is about. I feel he and Martial fates are intertwined so it is hard to claim one is more valuable than the other.
I'm just happy he won't be compelled to get fit for the Euros. Don't think enough people appreciate how serious his injury could have been and how mad it was he was performing at the level he was while in the early stages of it.

mav_9me

If I remember correctly he was never regarded a great talent like for ex Greenwood or Morrison was. Surprised to see these skills. But then again perhaps most forwards can have such compilations???

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

If I remember correctly he was never regarded a great talent like for ex Greenwood or Morrison was. Surprised to see these skills. But then again perhaps most forwards can have such compilations???
I remember when he broke through I read how he was playing more as a winger at youth level.

I felt all those minutes breaking through as a striker did him good giving him a clinical ability or sense than just being a winger from a start and concentrate on dribbling instead.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

This is what I remember of him, first thing I heard was this kid was doing flip-flaps and skills for fun at youth level.

Maybe he should have never had those seasons where he was a #9. It's clear he's more comfortable on the wing.

Dante

Average bang
https://www.skysports.com/football/...arcus-rashford-as-his-most-talented-team-mate
Harry Maguire has hailed Manchester United and England team-mate Marcus Rashford as the most talented footballer he has played with and believes the forward will have an "exceptional career."

Rashford has scored 14 league goals in 22 appearances for United before a double stress fracture to his back saw him sidelined in January.

Maguire described Rashford as a "wonderful player" and feels the academy graduate will emerge as a future leader.

"I think as a club, you should have a captain and rely on him, but you need to spread the onus of the leadership in the group," Maguire told the club's official podcast.

"He's always wanting to make himself available. I think you can see around the place, on and off the field as well, he's excellent with his charity work, which is great to see.

"On the pitch, like I said, he's amazed me. He's the most talented player I've ever played with."
Maguire agrees.

He's played with Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Greenwood, Gomes, Sterling, Kane, Sancho, Vardy, and Mahrez and yet still rates Rashford as the most talented.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He is boss man. Still young and learning though.

simplyared

Not sure I would choose this game to convince anyone that he's our most valuable player as he was pretty much terrible for most of it. Hell of a goal though.
Totally disagree. He was a threat to their defence everytime he got the ball. They were shitting themselves. In the end he got the goal he deserved. His pace and control going forward with the ball is awesome.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not sure I would choose this game to convince anyone that he's our most valuable player as he was pretty much terrible for most of it. Hell of a goal though.
That what top players do, though. Have shite games but have the ability to change it in the blink of any eye with something special.

Yuri37

Very good player, better than the overrated Mbappe who built his reputation mostly against some circumstantial crap defenses (Argentina in 2018 for example).
But in big CL games, we saw how limited Mbappe was outside of his speed.

Btw since the beginning of 2018/2019 season, Rashford has scored as many goals in CL games in Paris as Mbappe in his hometown :lol:....and Mbappe's 2 goals were against Red Star Belgrade and Galatasaray.
Mbappe = OVERRATED.

Last edited:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Totally disagree. He was a threat to their defence everytime he got the ball. They were shitting themselves. In the end he got the goal he deserved. His pace and control going forward with the ball is awesome.
He was excellent at using his pace to get into great positions but the thing is that from those positions we should've scored at least two goals yet they resulted in nothing, not even a shot attempt, because of his poor control and decision making. I simply expect him to do much better in those kind of situations.

That what top players do, though. Have shite games but have the ability to change it in the blink of any eye with something special.
I don't disagree although I see it more as one of the blessings of being an attacking player.

Zen86

It was a great finish which won us the match, but he does some ****ing stupid things at times. He's one of those players who can be playing absolutely awful, but you keep him on the pitch as he can still pop up with something brilliant. At his best he's really up there amongst the top players, but he's a bit too prone to rough patches and blips for me.

RepardReece

Don't totally agree with this. Aside from the goal, he was abysmal attacking last night. His decision making was awful. I agree his pace was awesome, but aside from that, there wasn't much else he offered.

Bwuk

He's looked good the last few games playing upfront.

Hammondo

Really struggles with anything thats not very direct and simple. If he can get into that situation he does well though.