Marcus Rashford new contract thread | It's officially signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolarra90

325k per week is surely alot, but still a little less than Sancho 350k per week.

Let's hope he can maintain his good form in the next 5 years or so.
Puts into context how absurd Sancho's contract is. Even if you thought he'd deliver I'd never have thought he would've got 30+ g/a per season.

Xire

No one, just a PR move.
Not england but PSG have been flirting with Rashford for the last year now, the president even came out saying how much he wants him in an interview. There's no way its just a "PR move" - anyone would be interested in Rashford.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
calm down
It's not that outlandish of a statement. Perhaps not quite £125m. But if we had to go into the market for a young, wide forward, who is capable of putting up the type of numbers that Rashford can, and did, put up last season, you're going to be paying some serious money. And a fat wage on top. We've been quoted £85m for Hojlund, who scored nine goals in what is a much easier league than the Premier League.

Obviously, we're not going to pay that, but even if we pay £50m, that's still a lot of money for a very unproven striker. You're looking at about £100m for a Rashford type.

Hammondo

It's not that outlandish of a statement. Perhaps not quite £125m. But if we had to go into the market for a young, wide forward, who is capable of putting up the type of numbers that Rashford can, and did, put up last season, you're going to be paying some serious money. And a fat wage on top. We've been quoted £85m for Hojlund, who scored nine goals in what is a much easier league than the Premier League.

Obviously, we're not going to pay that, but even if we pay £50m, that's still a lot of money for a very unproven striker. You're looking at about £100m for a Rashford type.
Well I hate that type of argument, player X getting Y amount of goals means nothing, if you replace him with a player that scores less goals, that's not necessarily a downgrade.

What you need to do is look at how many goals the team scores with the original player and with the new player. Individual goals is a nothing thing, how many goals the team scores shows more the individuals influence.

Hammondo

Really!?

fecking hell if that’s true that’s such a fecking weird signing from Arsenal :lol:
Yea, I would understand getting him on the cheap because he will be useful and maybe has potential, but he's not a big player currently.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Well I hate that type of argument, player X getting Y amount of goals means nothing, if you replace him with a player that scores less goals, that's not necessarily a downgrade.

What you need to do is look at how many goals the team scores with the original player and with the new player. Individual goals is a nothing thing, how many goals the team scores shows more the individuals influence.
Right, but the point is, you can't take out someone who is capable of contributing that many goals both in terms of goals scored and assists which, obviously, is contributing goals to the team, and not expect to pay top dollar to replace him. Especially someone of that age profile. Saying individual goals is a nothing thing is obviously silly.

I don't disagree with your overall point. Obviously, the team comes before the individual, which was my whole argument when Ronaldo was here. He was helping himself to goals, but the team was struggling. My main point was how much money we would need to spend to replace Rashford if he did leave. It would leave a massive hole in the team

Hammondo

Right, but the point is, you can't take out someone who is capable of contributing that many goals both in terms of goals scored and assists which, obviously, is contributing goals to the team, and not expect to pay top dollar to replace him. Especially someone of that age profile. Saying individual goals is a nothing thing is obviously silly.

I don't disagree with your overall point. Obviously, the team comes before the individual, which was my whole argument when Ronaldo was here. He was helping himself to goals, but the team was struggling. My main point was how much money we would need to spend to replace Rashford if he did leave. It would leave a massive hole in the team
Often individual players, though get stats, for either team to be more 1 dimensional, and limited. Lukaku is an example.

You might see the rest of the team do better with a more flexible or fluid style that is more balanced.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Often individual players, though get stats, for either team to be more 1 dimensional, and limited. Lukaku is an example.

You might see the rest of the team do better with a more flexible or fluid style that is more balanced.
Or rather - which is the case here - Rashford is the reason we as a team are more flexible and balanced. Imagine if he was more similar to Sancho or Antony. Oh the joy. We would be even more predictable and one dimensional. I am sure ETH can see what a valuable and unique player Rashford is and that’s the main reason he played him (and Bruno) into the ground while our other attackers were mostly substituted after 60 minutes or got rested more than Rashford.
But in your own head of course you are free to have this imaginary player who would improve us if he played instead of Rashford.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Yeah, I mean I don't disagree with that general statement at all. I also don't think it contradicts what I said about paying big bucks in order to replace someone like Rashford with someone who is capable of contributing to the team in the way that you mention (and the way that he can). I wouldn't say £125m, necessarily, but it would be a considerable outlay.

I also wouldn't put Rashford in that Lukaku and Ronaldo category. I.e., an individual who is scoring a lot of goals personally, but at the detriment of the team.

Dannn411

Hopefully he kicks on now. No more Jekyll and Hyde and with a new CF hopefully coming in, I back him to kick on and become that truly world class player.

Strelok

No one, just a PR move.
It'd be a bigger PR move if Rashford went on the record and said he'd leave on a free next year imo.

At least Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle probably even Spurs would be interested and could pay him 350k a week plus a hefty signing bonus. Liverpool and especially City would be ready to pay more just to slap us in the face (I doubt he'd sign for them though but just hypothecally speaking).

Needless to talk about the top clubs in Europe. Who are stupid enough to don't want a +30 GA a season player on a free? Oh yeah some of our own 'fans' :wenger:

Hammondo

Yeah, I mean I don't disagree with that general statement at all. I also don't think it contradicts what I said about paying big bucks in order to replace someone like Rashford with someone who is capable of contributing to the team in the way that you mention (and the way that he can). I wouldn't say £125m, necessarily, but it would be a considerable outlay.

I also wouldn't put Rashford in that Lukaku and Ronaldo category. I.e., an individual who is scoring a lot of goals personally, but at the detriment of the team.
He's not as detrimental for sure, but he is to a degree.

Devil You Know

Very good news. He is the face of the club now (performing both on and off the pitch and although he would have fetched a nice sum, there's probably noone available to get remotely near of replacing his value for us. I had given up on him but here we are.
I think this factor is very understated.

I was in Ireland a few weeks ago for the first time in years. The number of kids I saw wearing Haaland City shirts was shocking.

Superstar players create the next generation of fans. United might not have a ballon d'or level player in the squad right now, but the next best thing is Rashford. I think the club need him, or we'll start to lose ground on our rivals. Not enough to get overtaken obviously. But it all matters. Just look at how many players go to Barca or Real because they idolised them before turning pro. Or how Mount and Hojlund seem to have grown up revering us, and now want to join the club. Will the next new wunderkind want to follow in the footsteps of Haaland or Salah? Hopefully it'll be Rashford instead.

United have only just about remained relevant since Fergie left. But we also need to maintain our star power.

Hammondo

Or rather - which is the case here - Rashford is the reason we as a team are more flexible and balanced. Imagine if he was more similar to Sancho or Antony. Oh the joy. We would be even more predictable and one dimensional. I am sure ETH can see what a valuable and unique player Rashford is and that’s the main reason he played him (and Bruno) into the ground while our other attackers were mostly substituted after 60 minutes or got rested more than Rashford.
But in your own head of course you are free to have this imaginary player who would improve us if he played instead of Rashford.
But rashford is 1 dimensional, he's just better than the other 1 dimensional attacking players we have, and we have had several attacking players come here and struggle because of players like rashford. We don't have any attacking players that are not 1 dimensional, it's a typical United thing since Fergie.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I think this factor is very understated.

I was in Ireland a few weeks ago for the first time in years. The number of kids I saw wearing Haaland City shirts was shocking.

Superstar players create the next generation of fans. United might not have a ballon d'or level player in the squad right now, but the next best thing is Rashford. I think the club need him, or we'll start to lose ground on our rivals. Not enough to get overtaken obviously. But it all matters. Just look at how many players go to Barca or Real because they idolised them before turning pro. Or how Mount and Hojlund seem to have grown up revering us, and now want to join the club. Will the next new wunderkind want to follow in the footsteps of Haaland or Salah? Hopefully it'll be Rashford instead.

United have only just about remained relevant since Fergie left. But we also need to maintain our star power.
With all due respect to him, Rashford isn’t at Haaland or Salah levels.

He’s just had his best season and is a great guy imo, but he isn’t quite at that level.

If Utd want another truly ‘star player’ that’s a safe bet, then we’ll have to spend the money and get Kane.

Kane is a player that can rival that status of Haaland, Salah etc.

Rashford is a very good player but a level down.

united_99

But rashford is 1 dimensional, he's just better than the other 1 dimensional attacking players we have, and we have had several attacking players come here and struggle because of players like rashford. We don't have any attacking players that are not 1 dimensional, it's a typical United thing since Fergie.
:lol: Martial (if not injured), Bruno and Greenwood (for the short period he played) did well enough while playing with Rashford. Cavani too.
But your bolded quote shows (again) you are one of those who just won’t rate him no matter what. Hopefully he has many more great seasons for us to annoy you even more.

Hammondo

:lol: Martial (if not injured), Bruno and Greenwood (for the short period he played) did well enough while playing with Rashford. Cavani too.
But your bolded quote shows (again) you are one of those who just won’t rate him no matter what. Hopefully he has many more great seasons for us to annoy you even more.
Well martial has been very poor for us, greenwood had only a very short amount of time.

Let's look at everyone else shall we? Including cavani who had 1 decent season and 1 poor season. It's not a good record for Rashford.

united_99

Well martial has been very poor for us, greenwood had only a very short amount of time.

Let's look at everyone else shall we? Including cavani who had 1 decent season and 1 poor season. It's not a good record for Rashford.
:o

cyberman

When he means struggle he means scores a lot of goals for us then fall away because they’re old as feck so shouldn’t have been signed in the first place

Eddy_JukeZ

We're now blaming Rashford for other players' poor form? :lol:

Martial had the best season of his career interplaying with Rashford from the left.

Todd

Great news.

77 more goals for him and he'll be only the 5th United player to reach 200 for the club. That's averaging just over 15 per season for the length of this contract.

Kind of crazy to think that Rooney is the only player to reach that level in the past 50 years for the club. I hope Rashford does it.

Frank White

Also his worst seasons.
Interesting so it wasn't the persistent injuries or Jose or him getting his 9 taken from him by Ibra like it's been preached on here multiple times. It was Rashford all along, good to know. Assume that's why Sancho has failed to kick on too?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
:lol:

Hammondo

Interesting so it wasn't the persistent injuries or Jose or him getting his 9 taken from him by Ibra like it's been preached on here multiple times. It was Rashford all along, good to know. Assume that's why Sancho has failed to kick on too?
I never said it was Rashford's fault, simply using the obvious easy argument to defeat yours. I do not think Martial was good enough, with or without Rashford.

Frank White

I never said it was Rashford's fault, simply using the obvious easy argument to defeat yours. I do not think Martial was good enough, with or without Rashford.
Huh? You said and i quote "its not looking good for Rashford" when listing off players who flopped here and that was prior to saying multiple players have struggled because of players like Rashford.... can see my confusion no?

Anyway what players have came here and struggled because of Rashford or like him if you dont mind me asking?

Hester_manc

It suddenly seems long ago that many fans wanted Rashford out of the club. So great that he found his form and maybe self confidence again.

AFC NimbleThumb

Come again :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.