Marcus Rashford (Out)

Pughnichi

Rashford has had some awful efforts in the past few years but that clip is so out of context it’s untrue.
How is it out of context? He was moved centrally with the late subs. He’s directly in front of Barkley (their most dangerous player btw) who literally just ambles around him.

its the final stages of the game, with a narrow lead and Luton we’re throwing everything they had at us.

I’m not sure what context you can give to defend that.

Doracle

That Barkley clip, was that super late in the game or had he just taken a knock?

Seems utterly bizarre otherwise.
It was late in the game and just after he’d switched to CF. I think he didn’t want to drop back too far to try and keep the shape, and left him once he saw Garnacho coming over to cover (his defensive instincts are definitely not a strong point and he’d no doubt have been knackered at this stage as it was shortly after he’d made a flat out 3/4 of the pitch sprint to create an overlap which should have led to us putting the game to bed if he’d been supplied!). Certainly not the major issue it’s been made into but it is definitely something I’d expect to have been covered with him in a feedback session this week as to why it was the wrong call.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
He did the exact same against City in the last few minutes of the FA cup final, he didn't bother challenging for a ball in the middle of the pitch. That was the moment I realised that he doesn't actually care if United win or not.
If he can't be bothered in the last few minutes of an FA cup final against city rivals then what chance is there of him caring in a league game away to Luton.

He's clearly got more talent than probably all of our forward players but his attitude can be disgusting at times

Bwuk

I wouldn't be upset remotely if we moved him on.

Kvara - Hojlund - Garnacho

mctrials23

He very obviously put in more of a shift in the first couple of games after his discipline issues. Thats now gone again. Guy just doesn't care when it comes down to it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He very obviously put in more of a shift in the first couple of games after his discipline issues. Thats now gone again. Guy just doesn't care when it comes down to it.
With this latest 'effort' getting a decent amount of attention, I wouldn't be surprised if we see him working harder again for a few games.

I said the same after the drinking episode and was proven right, so let's see if it happens again.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It was late in the game and just after he’d switched to CF. I think he didn’t want to drop back too far to try and keep the shape, and left him once he saw Garnacho coming over to cover (his defensive instincts are definitely not a strong point and he’d no doubt have been knackered at this stage as it was shortly after he’d made a flat out 3/4 of the pitch sprint to create an overlap which should have led to us putting the game to bed if he’d been supplied!). Certainly not the major issue it’s been made into but it is definitely something I’d expect to have been covered with him in a feedback session this week as to why it was the wrong call.
No doubt he didnt try to defend his goal and prevent a dangerous player entering a dangerous area of the pitch.
There is no excuse for not trying.

Gavinb33

I wouldn't be upset remotely if we moved him on.

Kvara - Hojlund - Garnacho
Not been much if any better than Rashford this year and for over 100 million most likely too, he's only had one good season in a strong league, you're basing him being better than Rashford on one good season when Rashford was far ahead of him in G/A in that same season.

Bwuk

Not been much if any better than Rashford this year and for over 100 million most likely too, he's only had one good season in a strong league, you're basing him being better than Rashford on one good season when Rashford was far ahead of him in G/A in that same season.
I'll be honest I've not watched him this season really, but it's the not G/A I'm bothered about it's play style. Kvara is an actual winger.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'll be honest I've not watched him this season really, but it's the not G/A I'm bothered about it's play style. Kvara is an actual winger.
I think my answer on the Rashford issue falls in between these two posts. I'm somewhat concerned that if we let him go, the alternatives out there are far from a guaranteed hit, and could leave us in another problem in 12-18 months time where they are further pricey issues. Or, that we'll target the wrong profile of player -- though I'm slightly less concerned about this with the new persons in place at the club.

That being said... whoever we get simply has to be a stylistic improvement. Rashford - when in full flow - is a great G/A grabber, but his general play tends to lapse and underwhelm.

I'm all for letting him go if new winger is going to be one who is one with a far tidier all-round game to improve the team as a whole.

Jeffthered

Watching Barkley walk round Rashford was very distressing, he never even tried to take the ball off him. Has he down tools for the club or just Ten Hag? What Rashford did was Undefensible and sad as it is looks like he has to move on not just for the club but for himself to have a new challenge.
Personally I don’t think he wants to play under our manager anymore. You just know if/when he leaves he’s going to smash it at his new club. :(
Oh I think his mind has been elsewhere for a while.. what an ego! What a way to respond to a new contract. Rashford should reflect on who has worn that shirt... but he will not. I'm not saying he's a bad lad, I don't think he is. But he is caught between being something and someone off the pitch, while he is still not doing the business on the pitch. His brand needs a big, big demanding club.. but his performances do not reflect that and he is not good enough to coast through a season. If CR7 has to work his socks off, why doesn't Marcus Rashford?

There are many, many attacking players across Europe who are as good if not arguably better than Rashford. I actually have a feeling he may end up at Barca'. They have no money at all, have no manager and need to refresh the side. Rashford has a bit of a name so he will fit. If he goes, he could do v well at La Liga.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Genuinely want him gone. I remember seeing that Barkley bit live and was utterly speechless. Is this the kind of effort you expect from one of the "local lads"?

If PSG can stump up anything north of £70m, we'll be making progress. You can not justify that sort of pressing away from the home when we're 2-1 up and under pressure.

Gavinb33

I think my answer on the Rashford issue falls in between these two posts. I'm somewhat concerned that if we let him go, the alternatives out there are far from a guaranteed hit, and could leave us in another problem in 12-18 months time where they are further pricey issues. Or, that we'll target the wrong profile of player -- though I'm slightly less concerned about this with the new persons in place at the club.

That being said... whoever we get simply has to be a stylistic improvement. Rashford - when in full flow - is a great G/A grabber, but his general play tends to lapse and underwhelm.

I'm all for letting him go if new winger is going to be one who is one with a far tidier all-round game to improve the team as a whole.
I'm in agreement I'd let him go but the replacement has to be top class though, letting him go for someone who is just not named Rashford would be like punching yourself in the face

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Genuinely want him gone. I remember seeing that Barkley bit live and was utterly speechless. Is this the kind of effort you expect from one of the "local lads"?

If PSG can stump up anything north of £70m, we'll be making progress. You can not justify that sort of pressing away from the home when we're 2-1 up and under pressure.
I’m sick of making excuses for him. Feels like I’ve been saying for years now ‘oh there must be stuff we aren’t seeing’, ‘maybe he’s still injured’ etc.

By all means help him with his mental health issues, drink problem, whatever it may be. But at the end of the day we’re paying someone 350k each week to put in minimum effort - we’re not a charity. That clip of him ‘pressing’ Barkley is fraudulent!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Kind of feel he is hiding behind the recent success of Garnacho and Hojlund, who have both been really good lately. I thought he was okay at Luton, some weird decisions like the dive and the lack of pressing on Barkley. I just don't think he is an intelligent footballer. I worry the club may regret not selling him, if PSG are interested.

van Nistelrooy

Seems too good to be true considering PSG are likely to pursue Osimhen.

If PSG do come knocking for Rashford, we shouldn't be overvaluing him out of a move. He's £60-70m maximum.

Would love to see him gone.

bosskeano

if you can get 70m for Rashford and ship him to France....you do so b/c he's a shell of the player he should be and used to be

Spark

Wouldn’t be sad to sell him to PSG. The FFP gains would be a big old boost too.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Still don't see us selling him unless he wanted to go. I'm also not quite sure the upside in selling him is worth it but I'm willing to be enlightened.

ForeverRed1

That Barkley clip, was that super late in the game or had he just taken a knock?

It could be the case, however, there was multiple occasions where he backed out of challenges and Ariel challenges. It wasn’t an isolated incident.

git_united

This is a sensible take.

git_united

How is it out of context? He was moved centrally with the late subs. He’s directly in front of Barkley (their most dangerous player btw) who literally just ambles around him.

its the final stages of the game, with a narrow lead and Luton we’re throwing everything they had at us.

I’m not sure what context you can give to defend that.
Doracle gives a fuller accounting above.

Pughnichi

Doracle gives a fuller accounting above.
He isn’t intelligent enough to keep shape or see that Garnacho was covering. And if he has seen Garnacho, he should be able to also see that he wasn’t close enough.
Doracle puts a good defence case for this action, but the eye test for most watching can see it wasn’t good enough

Doracle

He isn’t intelligent enough to keep shape or see that Garnacho was covering. And if he has seen Garnacho, he should be able to also see that he wasn’t close enough.
Doracle puts a good defence case for this action, but the eye test for most watching can see it wasn’t good enough
Just to be clear, I don’t think it was how he should have dealt with it. I just don’t think it was because he’s lazy/doesn’t want to play for the club etc.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Still don't see us selling him unless he wanted to go. I'm also not quite sure the upside in selling him is worth it but I'm willing to be enlightened.
The upside is you get to sell a player who will never be better than he is right now, for a premium fee (because of huge name value) to then reinvest into someone that's far more well rounded (assuming the new footballing dept can do their job).

For all of Rashford's history with us, his output is wildly inconsistent year to year attacking wise and throughout that you also have someone that refuses to work much off of the ball and shrinks from challenges. That's a difficult player to rely on as a "star" of the team when the other option is being able to sell him for close to 70m and cash in.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I can't see him wanting to go. He's in his comfort zone at a club that will protect him at all costs.

RuudTom83

Considering the team has lost Cavani, Ronaldo, Greenwood in the last few seasons plus the inevitable departure of Sancho and Martial this season, getting rid of Rashford should be at the bottom of the list of priorities this summer.

The team lacks goals so lets try to keep a few players than can score.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Considering the team has lost Cavani, Ronaldo, Greenwood in the last few seasons plus the inevitable departure of Sancho and Martial this season, getting rid of Rashford should be at the bottom of the list of priorities this summer.

He's scored 5 goals this year in almost 30 appearances. We aren't talking about shipping out RVN here, the production isn't too difficult to replace especially if the team as a whole can function better with a replacement in his stead.

Red_toad

Who's going to buy him? over 300k a week and a fat fee for a player who hasn't really done much for a few season (aside down tools and sulk) and has a poor reputation. He's not really doing much back at his 'home' club and they don't seem very arsed about signing him permanently.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
The upside is you get to sell a player who will never be better than he is right now, for a premium fee (because of huge name value) to then reinvest into someone that's far more well rounded (assuming the new footballing dept can do their job).

For all of Rashford's history with us, his output is wildly inconsistent year to year attacking wise and throughout that you also have someone that refuses to work much off of the ball and shrinks from challenges. That's a difficult player to rely on as a "star" of the team when the other option is being able to sell him for close to 70m and cash in.
Do you have a replacement in mind? I can just see the headache of trying to replace him. These wide forwards are so hit and miss.

RuudTom83

Who's going to buy him? over 300k a week and a fat fee for a player who hasn't really done much for a few season (aside down tools and sulk) and has a poor reputation. He's not really doing much back at his 'home' club and they don't seem very arsed about signing him permanently.
Can't argue with that...so lets put that higher on the priority list than binning off Rashford. (But that wasn't exactly the main jist of my original post)

Paul778

Do you have a replacement in mind? I can just see the headache of trying to replace him. These wide forwards are so hit and miss.
So you are worried about swapping out a player who is hit and miss for a load of money and a different player who might be hit and miss?

Irwin99

He did the exact same against City in the last few minutes of the FA cup final, he didn't bother challenging for a ball in the middle of the pitch. That was the moment I realised that he doesn't actually care if United win or not.
If he can't be bothered in the last few minutes of an FA cup final against city rivals then what chance is there of him caring in a league game away to Luton.

He's clearly got more talent than probably all of our forward players but his attitude can be disgusting at times
I vaguely remember that and the crowd went ballistic at him for not jumping for a header. In fairness he might have been injured but we do say that a lot about him over the years.

clarkydaz

its hardly a one off, its why fans have been on his back for a while now. (who he then tells to shut up)

spwd

The team lacks goals so lets try to keep a few players than can score. When he can be arsed.
FTFY.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just look at the difference in work ethics between him and Hojlund or Garnacho. He cannot be allowed to think that’s ok because that spreads to other team members. I think Brailsford will be all over this kinda thing