Marcus Rashford (Out)

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
I will drive him to Paris.

If this story is true, the way INEOS handles this will determine if this is a real or false dawn

Woziak

Hypothetically you sell Marcus for £100m which is what it will take for Berada, Ashworth and Sir Jim to agree as he’s the poster boy of the club, irrespective of what the fans think?

The club then agrees to sell Anthony, Greenwood, Pelistri and Amad. They will not let Sancho and Rashford go because they need homegrown quotas, if Greenwood hadn’t screwed up, this decision would be easy for the club but let’s say you sell all 5 players for £150m then what you still need to buy 3 attackers with that maybe add £45/50m from your budget.
They then buy V Osiminhen - £95m, M Olise - £55m and N Williams £45m leaving you with six Striking options ; R Hojlund, A Garnaucho(HG), J Sancho(HG), M Olise(HG), N Williams and V osimhen

This would be a huge upgrade and the only reason I say Sancho stays is no one buying him at 300k per week and a new manager will probably give him a chance plus Ashworth is a big fan of J Sancho. If United get £100m for Marcus we should sell, for £75m we shouldn’t sell!

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Never thought I'd say this (as I still backed him even after the Rangnick season) but I think it might be best for both parties if he has a fresh start somewhere else.

Having said that, 75m is too cheap for a player of his age, contract length and proven ability. Hopefully INEOS will have the right people in place to ensure we get the best deal possible.

Dan_F

Selling him and Greenwood could fund our whole summer.
It won’t when every left sided attacker we go for will be quoted at 100 million and we’ll be desperate for quality.

Roane

With his wages and current form are people seriously suggesting he is worth more than £75m?

Now I don't see this happening, always makes me laugh when folk say "sell him to PSG". They are not Saudi or China trying to boost a new league.

If there is any truth in this we would be mad to say no and PSG have learnt nothing wanting to spend more than £35/40 mill for current Rashford

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I will drive him to Paris.

If this story is true, the way INEOS handles this will determine if this is a real or false dawn
I wouldn’t go that far. Rashford is probably the current player INEOS really want to try and improve but of course they will know of his issues and he will have his price if he says he wants to leave. If he wants to stay then I don’t see us pushing him out, not this summer anyway. I would sell him, I’m not sure the new hierarchy will see it the same way. It’s an easy mistake to make.

led_scholes

Not sure.

We'll want to get rid of Antony, Greenwood, Pellistri, Martial and maybe Rashford.

Who's coming in to replace them?
Pellistri and Greenwood are not in the club. Martial is not even used. Antony is now a bench player. Essentially, we can replace Rashford and all the rest with 2 players.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pellistri and Greenwood are not in the club. Martial is not even used. Antony is now a bench player. Essentially, we can replace Rashford and all the rest with 2 players.
Do you have 2 in mind?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
£75m would be fantastic business. Anything on top of that - even better.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
feck me the thread is pretty much unanimous..... While I don't actually want him sold he probably should go.
Yes, the eager delight is a little bit much for me, but he’s just had so many dark periods where he’s ineffective and disinterested.

I really don’t know if he’ll want to leave though. Considering mental fortitude isn’t exactly his strong point, going to a new country where he doesn’t speak the language for shitloads of money to replace Mbappe? That is some pressure

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Getting any kind of serious money for him and Greenwood would free up hundreds of millions on the FFP balance sheets.

I think we've got to do it and trust the new recruitment people to piss it up the wall less than the last lot.

Donut

Get him and Bruno out, bring in Kvartiaschkela and 2 midfielders and we’d be golden.

led_scholes

Do you have 2 in mind?
Oliseh can be one of the options. Kvara too, but maybe he is too expensive. Thinking that we also have Diallo and Forson, I would go for a more experienced forward. Unfortunately, I don't keep up with the rest of the leagues, but certainly there is someone with this profile in Spain, France, Germany, Portugal, Netherlands or Italy that can cost up to 40 millions.

RedRocket08

With his wages and current form are people seriously suggesting he is worth more than £75m?

Now I don't see this happening, always makes me laugh when folk say "sell him to PSG". They are not Saudi or China trying to boost a new league.

If there is any truth in this we would be mad to say no and PSG have learnt nothing wanting to spend more than £35/40 mill for current Rashford
I’d bite their hand off for 75m, I felt he was worth not more than 50. If it happens, I hope we don’t replace one overpaid player with another - and I hope we spend wisely.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It won’t when every left sided attacker we go for will be quoted at 100 million and we’ll be desperate for quality.
True, but there's the likes of Williams and such who have clauses. I'm excited to see some of the targets from south America we look at this summer - we seemed to overlook loads in the last few years.

Oranges038

If Mbappe is actually leaving this summer then Rashford or Milan's Leao would be the obvious two replacements.
Can see it being Leao over Rashford.

Although if Rashford does leave to PSG, I'd be taking a look at Leao if I were Utd.

Doracle

Can see it being Leao over Rashford.

Although if Rashford does leave to PSG, I'd be taking a look at Leao if I were Utd.
Yeah, I don’t think Milan have the financial firepower to fight off PSG if they come calling. I’d hope we still do. It’s going to be a bad look if, after not even being in the running for Kane and Bellingham last summer, we can’t even hold on to Rashford when one of the big clubs comes calling. Still, if we are forced to sell, I’d expect it to be upwards of £100m. £75m is laughable.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, I don’t think Milan have the financial firepower to fight off PSG if they come calling. I’d hope we still do. It’s going to be a bad look if, after not even being in the running for Kane and Bellingham last summer, we can’t even hold on to Rashford when one of the big clubs comes calling. Still, if we are forced to sell, I’d expect it to be upwards of £100m. £75m is laughable.
Nobody is stupid enough to pay 100m for Rashford. 75m is probably way too much as well. I hope we don’t have it in us “fight off” PSG for Rashford given his general play is absolutely woeful.

Fecking yes to £75m.

Unless we’re playing teams who flood everyone forward and leave lots of space open to counterattack, he’s become really ineffective. Low blocks and teams sitting deep is something he‘s never got used too and a lot of our games will be like those types of games.
No one sits deep against us this season. We have been dominated in field tilt. If we get a new coach then hopefully we will play like the above.

Revaulx

Said it before but I doubt he's going anywhere: local lad, star player, excellent on his day and when on form.
Agreed, except:

The next manager will want to work with him,
Will he though? Rashford is inconsistent and high maintenance. A new manager who’s coming in with his eyes open might wonder whether he’s worth the effort. A DoF might well think the same, given the number of other things that need fixing.

he'll probably have a great season and then it will all crash again the season after that.
Possibly. I’m not convinced Rashford is capable of any more great seasons; he just doesn’t seem capable of the required physical intensity.

Dan_F

True, but there's the likes of Williams and such who have clauses. I'm excited to see some of the targets from south America we look at this summer - we seemed to overlook loads in the last few years.
Nico Williams has less than half the amount of league goals as Rashford this season. Imagine we sign him for whatever that clause is and he scores 3 league goals. He’ll get eaten up.

The level of expectation that we can get rid of players and replace them easily is far fetched. Whoever is making these decisions has got a hell of a job on their hands. It’s going to be hard enough to shift the players that have to go, let alone replacing our better key players.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Marcus shouldn’t be sold, and I believe he won’t be sold. We have bigger priorities.

I also think it’s fair to value him higher than Jarrad Branthwaite for example.
I think there will be some people in charge who will push for his sale because it would ease finances significantly - any fee would be pure profit and the sale would also shift one of our majorly under-performing high earners. (A similar situation to Chelsea when they sold Mount)

But that's obviously looking at it from a cold, statistical, financial perspective.

From a marketing point of view, and from a romantic one... Rashford is a valuable asset to the club because he's a local lad and academy success story.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Such a frustrating player. When on form he’s world class but his low periods means we can’t rely on him. I’d jump at an offer of 80m

SomeRandomPerson

Nobody is stupid enough to pay 100m for Rashford. 75m is probably way too much as well. I hope we don’t have it in us “fight off” PSG for Rashford given his general play is absolutely woeful.
Honestly, if anyone offers 100m for Rashford, we should take it and run. Given that Mbappe is going to Madrid, and they also have Endrick coming in the summer, who Ancelotti has said is going to go straight into the first team squad, and there's absolutely no chance they let Vinicius go, so we might have a chance to get Rodrygo at a good price. Selling Rashford for ~75m and getting Rodrygo for a reasonable price would honestly be a great deal for us. He has great close control and his pace/acceleration are absolutely insane. Plus, he can play on both the left and right so him and Garnacho (who looks a much better player on the right IMO) could interchange positions during the game - and both are fairly creative players (Garnacho is on the right at least, on the left he comes in and tries to shoot too often, I think). If we have surplus left from the Rashford sale/Rodrygo purchase, we can put that money into a new left back and completely rejuvenate the left side.

Unfortunately, I think there is basically zero chance PSG go for Rashford. They've lost Messi, Neymar and Mbappe recently and, under Luis Enrique, they seem to be wanting to move away from the Galactico era. Even if they do go for a big signing, I think they will go for Osimhen even if they did invest big in Goncalo Ramos and Randall Kolo Muani last year.

Doracle

Such a frustrating player. When on form he’s world class but his low periods means we can’t rely on him. I’d jump at an offer of 80m
Just curious but can you name a period when the team has played consistently well and Rashford hasn’t?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I think there will be some people in charge who will push for his sale because it would ease finances significantly - any fee would be pure profit and the sale would also shift one of our majorly under-performing high earners. (A similar situation to Chelsea when they sold Mount)

But that's obviously looking at it from a cold, statistical, financial perspective.

From a marketing point of view, and from a romantic one... Rashford is a valuable asset to the club because he's a local lad and academy success story.
There’s nothing I disagree with here, I just feel with the club ‘losing’ Martial, moving out Sancho and Greenwood, and open to offers for Antony I think Rashford on top would leave us too light in attack and with too much to do in the market, and to integrate on the pitch. He can wait until next summer,

I also think he is our poster boy and his commercial value in this sense outweighs any perceived benefit of selling him.

davegk

I think he’s waiting for ETH to leave/get the boot and then will start running around again.

Mike Smalling

There’s nothing I disagree with here, I just feel with the club ‘losing’ Martial, moving out Sancho and Greenwood, and open to offers for Antony I think Rashford on top would leave us too light in attack and with too much to do in the market, and to integrate on the pitch. He can wait until next summer,
Hard to disagree with this, but there is definitely also a risk of Rashford losing market value if he has another season like this one. There is potentially an opportunity now to capitalize on his perceived value and getting something more than what he is worth to us. But finding quality forwards is also not easy.

I'd much rather Rashford turned around his form, and turned into a consistent player. It's not that he has to score 30 goals a season, but just putting in the effort and making better decisions in the final third would go a long way. But if we get an offer we have to weigh all the pros and cons of selling. Definitely not an easy choice.

gajender

I also think he is our poster boy and his commercial value in this sense outweighs any perceived benefit of selling him.
He is United's poster boy because United made him so and somebody else would easily take his place without United skipping a beat if we do decide to sell him .

Born2Lose

Should have sold Pogba for £90m, in the end he went on a free.

It's time someone at the club started making grown up decisions.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rashford goes the Lingard route and sits out the contract until he's done at 30+, while putting in half arsed "performances".

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hard to disagree with this, but there is definitely also a risk of Rashford losing market value if he has another season like this one. There is potentially an opportunity now to capitalize on his perceived value and getting something more than what he is worth to us. But finding quality forwards is also not easy.

I'd much rather Rashford turned around his form, and turned into a consistent player. It's not that he has to score 30 goals a season, but just putting in the effort and making better decisions in the final third would go a long way. But if we get an offer we have to weigh all the pros and cons of selling. Definitely not an easy choice.
Exactly.
I also would prefer Marcus to turn up and play for United the way we know he is capable of.
But with every weak display, the chances of that are less likely.
So if he is going to be sold, this is the right time.

Red Regista

I'd sell him for £60m tbh. Even 16 year old Yamal is fighting and tackling and our 'star' player can't be arsed to do anything other than shoot the ball.
Players like him that are lazy and finicky are the exact reason why we are where we are as a club and team on the pitch.

If INEOS are serious about the rebuild, they need to get rid of players like Rashford, Sancho, Martial, and maybe Amad (who is showing the same tendencies lately).

I'd rather play a hard working winger with less talent than those gifted brats who sabotage the team effort.

I can tolerate a player who does feck all against the ball and only plays with the ball in his reach, but that has to be a super special player, like Ronaldo/ Messi/ Haaland/ Mbappe and Rashford is miles and miles away from that category, Sancho even further. Play both of them on each wing and you're defending/ pressing with 9 men against 11...

Telsim

£75M is in line with my estimation. Would be delighted to see him go, especially for such a fee, but it won't happen. And that's before the quality of the source.