Mark Clattenburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
No, its for safety as well apparently. Either way if I were to attempt to influence a referee I wouldn't wait until an hour before the game! Perhaps trust the integrity of the man we are entrusting to ref the game.
But they do trust them, that's why they're paying their wages every week. But if they are approached an hour before a game, an unlikely scenario we hope, by a shady character making it quite clear that they have to influence the result in favour of one team or something like that then you can't really blame a referee if he obliges. That's why they have them travelling together and I doubt any referees are bothered about it. Besides, I'm sure most of them enjoy the company rather than a long drive home alone.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
But they do trust them, that's why they're paying their wages every week. But if they are approached an hour before a game, an unlikely scenario we hope, by a shady character making it quite clear that they have to influence the result in favour of one team or something like that then you can't really blame a referee if he obliges. That's why they have them travelling together and I doubt any referees are bothered about it. Besides, I'm sure most of them enjoy the company rather than a long drive home alone.
Do they? They aren't allowed to speak with a manager without notifying the FA, doesn't seem like trust to me.

The same would apply an hour, or a week before the game. We dont do this with a Jury of Judge, yet we feel obligated to do it with a referee?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Do they? They aren't allowed to speak with a manager without notifying the FA, doesn't seem like trust to me.

The same would apply an hour, or a week before the game. We dont do this with a Jury of Judge, yet we feel obligated to do it with a referee?
Of course a referee should have to report to the FA whenever he speaks to a manager. If a referee didn't want to then that would be a huge cause for concern. Referees should not have relationships with managers, simple as that. Imagine if the referee in Sunday's derby gave City a highly dubious decision that meant we won. Then it transpired before the game he and Pellgrini spoke for 10 minutes but it wasn't reported by the referee. Even if rules weren't in place that forbade that, it would still result in a conspiracy and huge outrage.

And a jury isn't employed by anyone, it's a completely different scenario that has no relevance.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And a jury isn't employed by anyone, it's a completely different scenario that has no relevance.
Why does it? Why is someone who is employed more suspectable to fraud or persuasion? Evidently we disagree but preventing a referee from going to a gig directly from the palace west brom game seems just pedantic to me.

BorisontheRock

Why does it? Why is someone who is employed more suspectable to fraud or persuasion? Evidently we disagree but preventing a referee from going to a gig directly from the palace west brom game seems just pedantic to me.
Actually, at no point in a case are the lawyers allowed to speak to the jury other than in court, in high profile cases the jury are indeed isolated for the case... For exactly the same reason. We trust lawyers to act responsibly, they are paid professionals but if they speak to a juror, the case will be thrown out.

And it's not that refs have to stick around all evening or weekend in isolation, just travel for and hour or so in unison, part of the job is to arrive together and depart together, I don't get what you don't understand with this. Is issue isn't whether the rule should Stan, the rule dies stand and no one has an issue with it to now. Clattenberg decided this rule didn't apply to him

As I said before, what does it say about the guy that he's paid only to make sure rules are adhered to yet he picks and chooses which ones he complies with... It's dodgy and he's a hypocrit.

BorisontheRock

If you are employed you should have a greater duty to your employer by following the rules they impose, it's kind of the trade off, you get money because you do what they ask. Whilst jurors have to follow rules they do so out of a civic duty/pride, it's irrelevant because in both instances it's the paid persons complying with the rules for anti fraud, the lawyers can't talk yo jury in isolation, referee doesn't act in isolation, the burden is on paid person to comply.

Getsme

You don't know that. I reckon a lot of fans could be placated by an explanation. If a referee just came out and said "I saw the incident but from my angle I couldn't tell whether there was contact with the ball first and therefore couldn't give it" I reckon it could stop a lot of people frothing at the mouth. Simple explanation.

I think it's an option the referee has in Germany and we wank ourselves senseless over their organisation.
Of course there are, I would be one of them but that’s looking at it from an idealistic point of view, it will never happen. It would never stop people frothing at the mouth as you say, I’m certain it would make it a whole lot worse, imagine Clatterburg trying to explain the Vardy penalty against us, if he admits he made a mistake it would kick off, if he tried to give an explanation and back his decision it would kick off. There would be no right answer, only wrong ones. The referee would be digging a hole for himself and the pressure would intensify on what is an already highly pressured job.

Equally I could say the same of you, I'm not missing anything I just don't agree with it.

Preferential treatment should've be given regardless of the situation, it doesn't stop fans of accusing the ref now anyway! How many times have we heard pundits say the ref was 'evening it up'?

As for the rest of it, well Steven has put it across nicely.
Of course preferential treatment shouldn’t be given, but why open yourself up to the possibility of being accused of it? The FA have to protect the referees, sticking them in front of a camera isn’t doing that. Referees only have to answer to the FA, just like players and managers only have to answer to their Clubs when it comes to performance.

You fact you say that pundits say the ref ‘evened things up’ only adds to the reason not to stick refs in front of cameras.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Some of you are really missing the point here.

The refs organisation require their employees to travel to the game and back again as a unit for safety and to ensure they do everything within reasonable power to limit fraud.

For some reason clattenberg decided this rule didn't apply to him and disregarded it. We are not talking about interviews, we are talking fraud prevention and personal safety. He knew the rules, he decided to disobey and is being punished. It's simple.
How far do they need to travel together then, what if they don't all live in the same area? Clattenburg drove home didn't he? So he must have driven to the ground on his own as well, no?

Steven Seagull

I don't buy that at all. You're going way overboard. Where is it going to "kick off?" On talksport phone in?

It should be an option for him if he wants to explain how the mistake was made. Instead we're all just scratching our heads for weeks asking ourselves what the hell he was thinking. Walking off the pitch in a Mike Dean smug twat manner riles me up far more than someone admitting a simple error.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How far do they need to travel together then, what if they don't all live in the same area? Clattenburg drove home didn't he? So he must have driven to the ground on his own as well, no?
They would not drive straight to the ground from their house, I imagine they stay in a hotel the night before.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
They would not drive straight to the ground from their house, I imagine they stay in a hotel the night before.
So how did Clattenburg drive home if they didn't first drive together to the hotel? Where was his car parked?

These are unanswered questions, there are clear holes in the story, this looks like a witch hunt, burn the bugger, burn him!

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So how did Clattenburg drive home if they didn't first drive together to the hotel? Where was his car parked?

These are unanswered questions, there are clear holes in the story, this looks like a witch hunt, burn the bugger, burn him!
I dont imagine he should of driven straight to the ground on his own either.

BorisontheRock

Not sure, not heard anything. Maybe he was dropped off and picked up, maybe grabbed a cab, the options are endless. Could have hot wired a car outside the ground!

Wonder if he played injury time, wonder if he slowed the game down to prance about and make sure the world is watching him, if he was on a deadline, maybe the match flowed and he decided no injury time!

Acole9

Outstanding
I heard that he was keen for the game to end bang on the 93rd so he could jump in his car quick as he's got a George Ezra concert to attend tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.