Mark Clattenburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalfordRed1960

Clattenburg must be the most heavily-criticised-by-managers referee around. Think Pellegrini had a go at him earlier this season already didn't he, and if I remember rightly Steve Bruce has had some unrepeatable words about him in the past, Fergie, Moyes, Wenger, probably Pardew though he doesn't really count...
Even Chelsea managers, remember the Clattenberg, Clattenberg running down the wing episode:lol:

It seems in every game he refs, someone is a loser due to his erroneous decisions.

bdecuc

It's absolutely nuts that Clattenburg is reffing again next weekend. You've just had a proper nightmare of a performance making numerous mistakes. My gawd you've basically overturned the result of the match in making a call on a penalty which was one of the worst in memory. And what's the response by the Premier League? 'Carry on lad'. 'See you again Saturday'. Consequences? Gosh, no...

Amir

It's absolutely nuts that Clattenburg is reffing again next weekend. You've just had a proper nightmare of a performance making numerous mistakes. My gawd you've basically overturned the result of the match in making a call on a penalty which was one of the worst in memory. And what's the response by the Premier League? 'Carry on lad'. 'See you again Saturday'. Consequences? Gosh, no...
What would benching him achieve? Did he not want to make the correct call? Do other referees need encouragement such as this in order to make correct calls? Referees make mistakes everywhere, all the the time. Sometimes, some places, they do get sidelined. Then they return and the mistakes resume.

Blue always red

The problem is so many referees get branded as United loving they go out of their way to change the opinion. There was contact in the Rafael penalty, but had Clattenburg waved play on the media would have made a big song and dance about how another ref might have given that and he gets branded as a United ref again. I think these guys must feel it's not worth the stick they'll receive.

untitled_6899

The problem is so many referees get branded as United loving they go out of their way to change the opinion. There was contact in the Rafael penalty, but had Clattenburg waved play on the media would have made a big song and dance about how another ref might have given that and he gets branded as a United ref again. I think these guys must feel it's not worth the stick they'll receive.
I agree, he knew he would have got enormous stick and abuse from rival fans and the media if he let play go on when Rafael made the challenge.

Maybe Clattenburg thought United were comfortable enough to deal with a penalty at 3-1 but it was a catalyst for huge shift in momentum and screwed us over. Shit referee.

bdecuc

What would benching him achieve? Did he not want to make the correct call? Do other referees need encouragement such as this in order to make correct calls? Referees make mistakes everywhere, all the the time. Sometimes, some places, they do get sidelined. Then they return and the mistakes resume.
If not benching then some recognition that the performance was not up to standard. You can't improve unless you recognise mistakes. What we have here is no indication from the referee or anyone responsible for ensuring refereeing standards that his performance was below standard. Even if in the background there has been some internal response (and to be honest I'd have doubts that that's even happened) we had no public acceptance that that rubbish at the weekend was not up to standard. Sometimes a referee gets it wrong enough that fans are (should be!) entitled to some sort of reaction.

I'm not saying the guy needs to be publically humiliated for what was probably an honest mistake but no response from anyone in the Premier League just means it's more likely to happen again.

Amir

If not benching then some recognition that the performance was not up to standard. You can't improve unless you recognise mistakes. What we have here is no indication from the referee or anyone responsible for ensuring refereeing standards that his performance was below standard. Even if in the background there has been some internal response (and to be honest I'd have doubts that that's even happened) we had no public acceptance that that rubbish at the weekend was not up to standard. Sometimes a referee gets it wrong enough that fans are (should be!) entitled to some sort of reaction.

I'm not saying the guy needs to be publically humiliated for what was probably an honest mistake but no response from anyone in the Premier League just means it's more likely to happen again.
We don't know what's happening behind closed doors, but to be fair, it doesn't matter. You can throw the book at a referee, you can sit him quietly and show him his errors. It can still easily happen the next weekend because refereeing is impossible. They need video replays. Watch it once and you clearly see Rafael is pushed, end of story.

Until that's done, everything else is utterly pointless.

ZDwyr

My Liverpool supporting brother even admitted that Clattenburg was awful. Can't believe he got a game this weekend.

Oggmonster

I have no love for this idiot, but FFS banning him for going to a concert is just stupid, if anything he needs banning for being crap ref.
They're not banning him for going to a concert, they're banning him for breaking their rules. From reading the article it seems the main concern is that Warnock spoke to him alone after the game and it is a bit of a dangerous ground if managers are doing that.

He knew the rules and broke them so should be banned, regardless of where he was going.

pauldyson1uk

They're not banning him for going to a concert, they're banning him for breaking their rules. From reading the article it seems the main concern is that Warnock spoke to him alone after the game and it is a bit of a dangerous ground if managers are doing that.

He knew the rules and broke them so should be banned, regardless of where he was going.
That will teach me to read things properly.
Read is fully now and the banning is correct.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I have no love for this idiot, but FFS banning him for going to a concert is just stupid, if anything he needs banning for being crap ref.
It was an Ed Sheeran concert. It should be a file ban and a short prison sentence. FA showing leniency towards their refs once again.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It was an Ed Sheeran concert. It should be a file ban and a short prison sentence. FA showing leniency towards their refs once again.
But he was already at an Ed Sheerab gig, surely that's punishment enough?

Minimalist

Is Clattenburg seriously seen as a crap ref? I'm struggling to think of anything bar a couple incidents over the last few years that would suggest that.

Balls of steel to give those penalties at Old Trafford against Liverpool.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is Clattenburg seriously seen as a crap ref? I'm struggling to think of anything bar a couple incidents over the last few years that would suggest that.

Yes. He is inconsistent as feck, and loves to be the star of attention. In the big games he will always do something controversial that I have seen.

Minimalist

Yes. He is inconsistent as feck, and loves to be the star of attention. In the big games he will always do something controversial that I have seen.
Just not true.

I even gave you a prime example of a match he did little wrong in.

Adam-Utd

Just not true.

I even gave you a prime example of a match he did little wrong in.
That doesn't prove anything :lol: even for the smaller teams he makes daft decisions. I can't obviously remember them all off the top of my head, but what about us v Leicester?. How can you say the Rafael penalty debacle was a choice of a "good referee".

Minimalist

That doesn't prove anything :lol: even for the smaller teams he makes daft decisions. I can't obviously remember them all off the top of my head, but what about us v Leicester?. How can you say the Rafael penalty debacle was a choice of a "good referee".
You're pretty rubbish at putting together an argument then.

The Rafael sending off is one of the incidents I was referring to in my original post. I see those as pretty rare occurrences myself but by all means tell me the others.

Adam-Utd

You're pretty rubbish at putting together an argument then.

The Rafael sending off is one of the incidents I was referring to in my original post. I see those as pretty rare occurrences myself but by all means tell me the others.
Eh? you made no mention of that incident at all. I am not physic how can I tell what you are referring to?. Anyway like I said I can't remember everything, but the Torres sending off for 2 diving yellows were pretty dubious too.

This is a what a quick google bought up;

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...l-moments-in-the-referees-career-9042302.html

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

It was discussed in the Phil Dowd thread, I was surprised to see so much vitriol for him, I've always considered him to be one of the top refs in the PL.

Minimalist

Eh? you made no mention of that incident at all. I am not physic how can I tell what you are referring to?
It was implied by "a couple incidents over the last couple years."

So no I wasnt requiring you to be "physic" :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I find it hilarious that this is the sort of shit that the F.A get up in arms about and will drop a referee for... but when it's actually being rubbish at the main part of your job, they do very little.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:lol:
Super hilarious. The depth of the humour on twitter constantly has me astounded. Subtle, wry, intellectual satire that echos all the classic comedians of our time while still feeling fresh and managing to push the boundaries of modern comedy and instantly assume a place in the "Really funny things that have been said or done" Hall of Fame.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

Clattenburg isn't the worst of the refs in my opinion, but I do get the feeling there are some games where he has decided he wants to make the headlines.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
The headlines being spouted are quite poor and misleading. He is banned for violating the travel policy and for violating the policy concerning contact with team officials.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What is the travel policy in force for exactly?

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
What is the travel policy in force for exactly?
To make sure the officials aren't influenced by anyone just before or after matches, I imagine. Makes perfect sense. They're also not allowed to talk to officials from either club without the presence of the rest of their ref-team.

Status
Not open for further replies.