Mark Clattenburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedred

Who cares. Its been that way for years, not just to us but to Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal or anyother top team. Yes we are getting alot more negative press at the moment, but thats mainly because we deserve it, not that there is an agenda against us.
I am not saying that there is an agenda, but why the bias. If it had been the other way around, the media will be all over the penalty.. Sky report has just a single line of mention on the penalty. And according to them the "Moment of the Match" was Leicester 5th goal.

I would love it.. absolutely love it when we win the next title.. An Up yours to all the media bollocks...

Getsme

I am not saying that there is an agenda, but why the bias. If it had been the other way around, the media will be all over the penalty.. Sky report has just a single line of mention on the penalty. And according to them the "Moment of the Match" was Leicester 5th goal.

I would love it.. absolutely love it when we win the next title.. An Up yours to all the media bollocks...
Because not everyone in the media is a United fan, not everyone who watches Sky Sports in a United fan, its that simple, they are playing to the masses and its always been that way.
Fergie was brilliant at using negative media to get the best out of his players, its nothing new, and its not going to change.

SiRed

Where did I say you can't discuss / moan about the ref? I said rather than aiming your ire at the ref - aim it at your team. As in the ref was not the reason you lost this game (unlike some of the posters on this thread seem to think)

Media fuelled idea? Hardly - it's called watching your games and forming that opinion myself.
Whatevs... We hardly get any decisions go our way. Havent done for years.

mark_a

There totally is bias against us. It's a combination of:
1. General pro-underdog bias / Also the "they deserved it" factor, when the underdog gets breaks
2. Good old fashioned ABU-ism

The controversy of this game was/is interesting, from the initial shock of the pundits commentating to now, where the press/media has forgotten about the controversy and it's re-written as a heroic comeback from Leicester. It's pretty standard though, in football journalism, that by now much of what is written may as well have been written by someone who didn't even see the game, they may have just heard the score and read what someone else wrote!!

In reply to Getsme, I'd say we get this sort of thing a lot more than other big teams. If we win a game and anything controversial happens, you can bet that the controversy will be the headline. However, if another big team get it, it will probably be mentioned, but will fade and be downplayed.

Then there's the Ex-LFC pundits factor ...
"mmm, let's see what Fowler, Souness, McManamana etc.. has to say" say's no-one ever.

Bestie07

In reply to Getsme, I'd say we get this sort of thing a lot more than other big teams. If we win a game and anything controversial happens, you can bet that the controversy will be the headline. However, if another big team get it, it will probably be mentioned, but will fade and be downplayed.
No, we should just bend over and quietly read what ever they want to write about us because that's how it has always happened.

Yes, our players made mistakes but it is also important to generate an us vs them mentality. A manager like Mourinho or Ferguson would have been all over Clattenburg yesterday and I am surprised that van Gaal has let it pass.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Yep I agree, that corner evened things out :lol:
Jesus, did I say that? I'm saying that if, as so many people are claiming, he was hell bent on awarding Leicester the 3 points then he wouldn't have given you anything.

RedStarUnited

As a Spurs fan who has been on this board for a while, I have been here through some of our best collapses vs Man Utd. I have never once blamed a defeat solely on the reffing decisions (except a couple of seasons ago vs Stoke, genuinely the worst performance I've ever seen from a ref).

I do remember especially however, the 2-0 turned 5-2 a few seasons ago at OT, after the ref gave a dodgy penalty at 2-0. I said both on here and generally that regardless of the decision and how our players may have been feeling, the collapse was inexcusable. We fully deserved to lose because mentally, our players went elsewhere.

None of you were having it of course. Did the ref give us five goals? Was the penalty worth 5 goals? These decisions even themselves out over the season. We get an equal amount of bad decisions but we're decent enough to overcome those bad decisions. X team on the other hand...Some people suggesting match fixing

My argument that poor reffing decisions, especially at key moments of the game, can impact teams greatly and influence the outcome of the game didn't find great stall on here previously.

And I'll reiterate again that Clattenburg is an appalling ref who shouldn't be reffing in the PL full stop and today's penalty was a stupid decision. It is however a little bit funny to see Man Utd fans using the very same arguments that they have mocked other fans for using for years.
That was the Carrick incident right? the difference between that and yesterday is, that decision could have gone either way. Yesterday, almost everyone agrees the penalty should not have been given.

Getsme

Jesus, did I say that? I'm saying that if, as so many people are claiming, he was hell bent on awarding Leicester the 3 points then he wouldn't have given you anything.
No one with any sense is saying he intentionaly gave Leicester dodgy decisions, however, you cant justify the game by saying he gave us a corner when it clearly wasn't so he wasnt biased.
He is useless, he shouldnt ref a game for us again for some time, if ever again.

mark_a

As pointed out, there's a big difference between 50:50 decisions, 80:20 decisions and what happened yesterday, where I don't even think 1% think it was a pen! I'll raise you that a United player may well have got a yellow for diving had he been in Vardey's place!

montpelier

We've had a few - Spurs have been done (undermined) a couple of times. A win at Chelsea was mainly us getting the decisions, there's another H Webb special that I can't remember who it was against. There was a 1st minute Phil Nev v West Ham non-pen that was real bad (all the players stopped). On the other hand, Carragher should have gone off twice (minimum) in games at Anfield. Arsenal get plenty at the Emirates.

The Liverpool & Arsenal stuff doesn't get covered in the same way. Perhaps they manage the media better/differently.

If it does even out, we are now due quite a few going our way.

bleedred

We've had a few - Spurs have been done (undermined) a couple of times. A win at Chelsea was mainly us getting the decisions, there's another H Webb special that I can't remember who it was against. There was a 1st minute Phil Nev v West Ham non-pen that was real bad (all the players stopped). On the other hand, Carragher should have gone off twice (minimum) in games at Anfield. Arsenal get plenty at the Emirates.

The Liverpool & Arsenal stuff doesn't get covered in the same way. Perhaps they manage the media better/differently.

If it does even out, we are now due quite a few going our way.
Oh, you will hear the media outcry then.!!!!

gasmanc

Banned
It's highly unprobable there's anything corrupt surround Clattenburg, when you think about it soberly, he's just not competent enough, the useless twat would likely get it wrong anyway.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
A win at Chelsea was mainly us getting the decisions,
There's no question that we've had decisions go our way on occasion in the past, like every single team has gotten something by referee error at some stage - but that of course doesn't disqualify those clubs or their supporters from criticising when they get screwed over by wrong decisions, as was the case yesterday. Refereeing seems such a hard job, particularly at that level, but there are times where they just have no excuse.

And of course it's not always the referee that makes wrong decisions - like in that Chelsea game you mention (assuming you mean our 3-2 win in RVP's first season) then it was the linesman who failed to spot Hernandez was offside for the winner, rather than Clattenburg making a decision in our favour, in much the same way that the Drogba offside at OT in 2010 (I think) was down to the linesman rather than the ref. Clattenburg did get criticised for how he gave Torres a second yellow of course, but given that Torres' first yellow should've been a straight red in the first half, it was almost a case of two wrongs making a right :lol:

It would be interesting to see some record of how many wrong decisions individual referees have made over the seasons.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
There needs to be an independent review on referees' performances. They ruin the game far too often these days. If I were so shit at my job, the least I'd get is a warning over my poor performance.

justboy68

Can't believe all of this moaning by you guys at the ref. Even if it wasn't a foul, it wasn't the winning goal either. With fergie time and ref's decisions in the past you've had plenty of luck as well over the years.

Rather than aiming your ire at the ref - how about aiming it at your team who couldn't beat a newly promoted side??
That's just bollocks and it always has been. We fared no better or worse with refs than other teams. Sure we benefited from some, we also had Drogba offside goals cost us the title. When it goes against us it just gets played down massively and swept under the rug like you can blatantly see with the Leicester debacle yesterday. Had it been the other way around we would have seen some national outcry by now. It's crazy how many people buy into this conspiracy bollocks and frankly depressing that people buy into the shite the media serve up.

That season when some fellas reviewed all of the key decisions over the course of the premier league it actually turned out that most of the big teams were near the bottom of the table in terms of more decisions going against them. I think United, City and Arsenal were all in the bottom 5. It just seemed the other way around because they could often still win anyway, or got more penalties still because of the amount they were attacking compared to their opponents. Now people seem to be accepting that we 'no longer get preferential treatment' from the refs, it also happens to coincide with us generally not being as good. Some coincidence that.

Last edited:

REJE

In his last 6 games against us he sent off 3 players and gave away 5 penalties.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's highly unprobable there's anything corrupt surround Clattenburg, when you think about it soberly, he's just not competent enough, the useless twat would likely get it wrong anyway.
I think it's a mixture of incompetence, bias and crowd pleasing. There's no way it would have been a penalty had it been someone like giggs or gerrard instead of rafael. That's bias. He also seemed to be itching to blow the whistle without using his brain which reeked of someone who instinctively wanted to give in to the crowd. And he probably also "pre-empted" a revenge foul by rafael (like rooney used to always kick out after getting frustrated), which is gross incompetence.

amolbhatia50k

He should be suspended.
Depends for how long. A long suspension would be harsh and a short one would see him reffing premier league games soon which he seems unfit to do. Then again, demoting him to a lower is a big feck you to lower league teams.

Rednotdead

Ironically, his performance on Sunday demonstrates clearly to me why FIFA's idea of video referrals with the ref and manager making the challenge viewing video of the incident involved is a non-starter. He clearly indicated that he considered Vardy's barge on Rafael was a fair shoulder charge - which to the rest of the world was a complete nonsense - so what difference would reviewing it have made? He wouldn't have changed his mind. The same with Vardy's dive for the subsequent penalty - there was no video from the angle that would have shown that he clearly dived so the two decisions would have stood although both were clearly nonsense.

amolbhatia50k

Ironically, his performance on Sunday demonstrates clearly to me why FIFA's idea of video referrals with the ref and manager making the challenge viewing video of the incident involved is a non-starter. He clearly indicated that he considered Vardy's barge on Rafael was a fair shoulder charge - which to the rest of the world was a complete nonsense - so what difference would reviewing it have made? He wouldn't have changed his mind. The same with Vardy's dive for the subsequent penalty - there was no video from the angle that would have shown that he clearly dived so the two decisions would have stood although both were clearly nonsense.
Agree. Video evidence is useful for black and white decisions really. Not one's where a moron like clattenburg can stick by his awful judgment. And you don't actually need video evidence for stuff like this. Anyone with a funcrooning pair of eyes and clear mind should be getting those simple calls right.

Getsme

It's frustrating that they don't have to come out and give reasons for major decisions.

Rednotdead

It's frustrating that they don't have to come out and give reasons for major decisions.
It could easily be done without the ref being subjected to a media storm of questions. As for Vardy's barge on Rafael, I'm sure I saw Clattenburg indicate he thought it was a fair shoulder charge. How he could come to that conclusion I don't know, only he could say.

Getsme

Apparently referring the Southampton v QPR game this weekend. If true it looks like the FA saw nothing wrong with his performance.

Rednotdead

Apparently referring the Southampton v QPR game this weekend. If true it looks like the FA saw nothing wrong with his performance.
And therein lies the problem. The whole world saw something wrong with his performance, not just Man Utd fans.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
In the Australian Football League (AFL) the head of the Umpires (doesn't actually officiate himself) comes out after each round and goes over the contentious decisions. He will defend decisions or openly state that they were wrong, etc.

I think someone could do that, not necessarily the umpires themselves but someone from the association could.

Getsme

In the Australian Football League (AFL) the head of the Umpires (doesn't actually officiate himself) comes out after each round and goes over the contentious decisions. He will defend decisions or openly state that they were wrong, etc.

I think someone could do that, not necessarily the umpires themselves but someone from the association could.
That would work.

Drifter

American
Can't believe 80 voters convinced themselves that the ref cost us the game.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

The author makes some decent points and then ruins it by claiming the universe is getting its own back against us for Fergie... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.