Mark Clattenburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Cranium

The author makes some decent points and then ruins it by claiming the universe is getting its own back against us for Fergie... :rolleyes:
Fails to highlight the fact that all managers take swipes at shit referees but only our manager and a few others seem to ever get brought into account about it. If I recall, Ferguson was one of those to support Clattenburg right from the beginning of the false allegations by the classy people at a certain West London club. I find it weird he'd have anything against United or Ferguson. Either he's just biased because of who he really supports and obviously doesn't declare as being his club; or, he is just that shit. Giving five penalties against us and three red cards in the last six games managed should send some alarm bells ringing though. Some of the inconsistencies of his decision making on Sunday were some of the very worst I have seen for a long time. Especially the Rafael penalty as literally within five seconds Clattenburg displayed one standard of acceptable force for a tackle for Leicester and another for us. As well as not punishing simulation, sending de Laet off, noticing the ball went out etc.

I'd be surprised if his match report isn't being heavily scrutinised by the FA.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

The author makes some decent points and then ruins it by claiming the universe is getting its own back against us for Fergie... :rolleyes:
Sorry fella, but you won't find many opposition supporters disagreeing with it.

Amir

Giving five penalties against us and three red cards in the last six games managed should send some alarm bells ringing though.
He obviously had a crap game on Sunday and it hurt us badly, but statistics don't say anything. How many of those red cards and penalties were wrong? On Sunday there was a red card which was correct and a penalty which was correct.

Looking at just the numbers is no better than what opposition fans used to do when Riley gave us eight penalties in one season. Never mind most of them were correct.

Getsme

Indeed you won’t, but people only see what they want to see. We’ve had our fair share of shit decisions over the times, only difference is when we receive decisions in our favour it’s highlighted a 1000 times more than when we don’t. Sunday’s game is an excellent example of that.

Richard Cranium

He obviously had a crap game on Sunday and it hurt us badly, but statistics don't say anything. How many of those red cards and penalties were wrong? On Sunday there was a red card which was correct and a penalty which was correct.

Looking at just the numbers is no better than what opposition fans used to do when Riley gave us eight penalties in one season. Never mind most of them were correct.
Arguably we'd never have been in such a position to have conceded the second penalty and red card if not for Clattenburg's incompetency on the first one.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I thought Clattenburg had a reasonable game. He royaly cocked up with the first pen, and I thought Blackett was fouled before the 2nd, but the players have to look at themselves. The wheels shouldnt come off over one bad decision, christ we were still winning, no defo lay the blame with the players (and all of them, not just the defence)

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's definitely got it in for us since our fans made that jokey banner about him. No way would an impartial ref give those two decisions against us. I look forward to the reception he gets at Old Trafford the wiggy cnut.

Getsme

He's definitely got it in for us since our fans made that jokey banner about him. No way would an impartial ref give those two decisions against us. I look forward to the reception he gets at Old Trafford the wiggy cnut.
Id be very surpised in he was allowed to referee in the far future let alone the near.

Kaos

Do people still think United are some corrupt club which get decisions their way?

Even with the statistics out there to prove otherwise, the fans of the BPL must be a whole new breed of precious.

Getsme

I thought Clattenburg had a reasonable game. He royaly cocked up with the first pen, and I thought Blackett was fouled before the 2nd, but the players have to look at themselves. The wheels shouldnt come off over one bad decision, christ we were still winning, no defo lay the blame with the players (and all of them, not just the defence)
He didnt have a resaonable game, he was shocking from start to finish, however I dont blame him for the defeat.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Apparently referring the Southampton v QPR game this weekend. If true it looks like the FA saw nothing wrong with his performance.
Yup. And that is why I laughed at you earlier when you suggested that the FA (although I think it's PGMOL that selects refs) would deal with it. It's basically and old boys club - like people say - that don't have to explain themselves to anyone but other slightly older boys. The press or the public can't hold them accountable for anything, because they only make themselves visible to the public when it suits them. It's incredible that you can have a so important organisation basically making up their own rules as they go and hide in the dark. The fact that most people don't even know about PGMOL says it all really.

As a funny side-note, if you look up PGMOL (or rather, PGMOB) on wikipedia the article has a controversy paragraph. Guess who's involved in that one!

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Do people still think United are some corrupt club which get decisions their way?

Even with the statistics out there to prove otherwise, the fans of the BPL must be a whole new breed of precious.
A lot of it is fuelled by the press. Whenever United gets a decision it's blown up, the ref is photoshopped wearing our shirt, all articles about the game has a paragraph about it, another paragraph about previous calls that went our way etc. Whenever it happens against us we had it coming because of past decisions, and the opponent will instead be hailed for the will and determination (like the BBC articles someone dug up from the Spurs game we won 5-2 compared to the Leicester game). Even living in Denmark you get small kids (like 10-year-olds) repeating this, because it's what they heard.

Webb is an excellent example of this. He gave some dodgy decisions our way ages ago, and after that he basically gave us feck all. But people were still convinced he was "United's personal ref" when he retired.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Good God.

Getsme

Yup. And that is why I laughed at you earlier when you suggested that the FA (although I think it's PGMOL that selects refs) would deal with it. It's basically and old boys club - like people say - that don't have to explain themselves to anyone but other slightly older boys. The press or the public can't hold them accountable for anything, because they only make themselves visible to the public when it suits them. It's incredible that you can have a so important organisation basically making up their own rules as they go and hide in the dark. The fact that most people don't even know about PGMOL says it all really.

As a funny side-note, if you look up PGMOL (or rather, PGMOB) on wikipedia the article has a controversy paragraph. Guess who's involved in that one!
In fairness, the FA will only deal with him if they believe he did something wrong, going by the media outlets the only blip in the game was the penalty that never was. There is a good chance the FA see it like that as well and are not willing to punish him publicly for ‘one ‘mistake. All the other errors could be seen as 50/50 even if the large majority went against us.

I’m not saying it’s right, but the FA would have to have good reason to demote or punish him like any company would, to any employee in similar circumstances. Although Clatternburg doesn’t have to answer to the media he does have to fill a report and hand it to the FA, if everything in the report adds up then he may well have got away with it or he may have got a warning, who knows? However, its only right that the FA don’t have to make it public.

Minimalist

O well, that's that then. Must be true if some football clowns would find it suits their deluded agenda.

Feck me, it's Adrian Durham. The man who said Liverpool should win the 2013/14 League title merely to signify justice for Hillsborough. :rolleyes:

fallengt

What the actual feck ...Leichester's players kicked Di Maria so many times, how they got awy with it is beyond me.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Clattenberg AND his assistants had a shocker on Sunday. We all know the countless mistakes made by them and some agree on more than others (Blackett fouled for 2nd pen and Mata bowled over for the 4th goal) but the fact remains that huge game changing mistakes were made by the referee and his assistants.

This should prove more than anything that things need to change. Video footage, manager challenges or even just the refs behind the goals like in CL matches. The results are too important either way for human error to be so costly to the teams involved. Imagine if this kind of reffing clusterfeck happens on the last day of the season to a team that ends up getting relegated? Or happens again to United on the last day when we need 3 points to get 4th spot? I actually think it would need something like that to happen for things to really change. The Champions League and their sponsors would be extremely pissed if the money making United didn't feature in their competition because of a reffing disgrace.

If anyone watched Pierluigi Collina's Masterclass on Sky, you can see the value of behind the goal refs for sure. They would have called the ball over the line for the cross for the first goal and would definitely have called the dive by Vardy and we wouldn't all be arguing about it all now.

None of this excuses the capitulation of United on Sunday, but it would at least make things fair. The fact people like Graham Poll are criticising Clattenburg is surely a wake up call. The referees are supposed to be almost invisible but are hampered by the speed of the modern game. Also, can anyone truly trust some things in football any more? Especially with all the scandals in Italy and the Chinese betting syndicates? There really is no excuse for not using the technology available to cancel out all these arguments and doubt. It's even more upsetting and to be honest, disgusting, that the answers have already been found yet are not in place or being used.

Swaters16

You can't

REJE

You know what the most hillarious thing is? Even under Sir Alex EVERY top 3/4(Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool) side had more decisions go their way than us in the past 20 years.

Kaos

You know what the most hillarious thing is? Even under Sir Alex EVERY top 3/4(Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool) side had more decisions go their way than us in the past 20 years.
But...but...Fergie, FA, brown envelopes...THE BROWN ENVELOPES DAMNIT!

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
How did he have a reasonable game? De laet was on a yellow card and got away with two reckless challenges on di Maria, he gave us a corner that was clearly a goal kick and to top it all off decided that vardy assaulting rafeal was ok but vardy getting into the box, waiting for raf throwing himself to the floor with no contact at all was a penalty!
Did you watch the game or listen to Alan green on fivelies?

Anyway, the penalty was shocking but does not excuse goals 3,4 and 5 that were all our own doing

Sylar

Hes not a good referee. Hes one of the ones where he thinks its about him and his decisions and his stupid hair.

For or against, you can count so many inept decisions per match. The Di Maria shot that went wide and he gave a corner was ridiculous. The United vs Chelsea match, whilst we laughed at the time, was ridiculous. The Everton vs Liverpool match from years ago.

Its not that he supports a team or anything, but it almost seems like if a player gets under his skin or shouts at him or something, he then holds it against that team and any 50/50 decision goes in one teams favour thereafter. The Rafael/Vardy decision was infuriating just because of how backwards and wrong he got both decisions

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Yep. 153 now living in blissful denial.
I voted for the referee as the poll is not multi choice. I don't think we would have lost if Clattenburg hadn't given that penalty against Rafael, and particularly in those circumstances. That doesn't mean I think the players are blameless.

SalfordRed1960

That's because it is easy to say United bribed this referee and this referee, than to accept decisions go both ways. Only club I ever felt got a raw deal from us was Spurs. Always seemed to be a decision in our favour. That said, the reverse is true against Liverpool and Chelsea. Countless times against Chelsea, particularly at the bridge, the ref was a homer. Surprisingly it was Clattenberg who actually gave us some decisions there the other year. As for Liverpool enough said, handball Carragher just a prime example.

thelemon

Spot on
I voted for the referee as the poll is not multi choice. I don't think we would have lost if Clattenburg hadn't given that penalty against Rafael, and particularly in those circumstances. That doesn't mean I think the players are blameless.

binary bot
Yep. 153 now living in blissful denial.
The game is over without the referee giving them the most outrageous penalty from a scenario where the ball is going out of play and they're offering little threat. So yes, if the referee doesn't give that decision, which is one of the worst I've seen called, then we win the match - I'm happy being in denial about what came after the penalty.

Tarrou

I don't know if it was just variance, but when I played I often thought there was a disproportionate amount of refs who were dickheads. The down-to-earth, sensible ones who you could communicate with were very much in the minority. Or maybe, the skill-set required to become a good ref is alligned with that type of personality. I'm probably talking bollocks.

Anyway, to summarize, Clattenburg is a dickhead.

KGBhoy

I don't know if it was just variance, but when I played I often thought there was a disproportionate amount of refs who were dickheads. The down-to-earth, sensible ones who you could communicate with were very much in the minority. Or maybe, the skill-set required to become a good ref is alligned with that type of personality. I'm probably talking bollocks.

Anyway, to summarize, Clattenburg is a dickhead.
I remember reading a while ago that the study of referees showed them to have a certain type of mentality. Most of the time they truly believe they are in the right, even when they are wrong. That's almost a complete definition of a dickhead! :)

Amir

Arguably we'd never have been in such a position to have conceded the second penalty and red card if not for Clattenburg's incompetency on the first one.
Not arguing with you here. Just saying stats - and especially those stats - are too partial.

I don't actually see the sense in putting a referee off the roster for a while. They all have bad games and being out of the loop for a few games won't make them better. They need help, not punishment.

dev1l

I remember reading a while ago that the study of referees showed them to have a certain type of mentality. Most of the time they truly believe they are in the right, even when they are wrong. That's almost a complete definition of a dickhead! :)
Mourinho strikes me as someone having the mentality of a referee...

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Clattenburg must be the most heavily-criticised-by-managers referee around. Think Pellegrini had a go at him earlier this season already didn't he, and if I remember rightly Steve Bruce has had some unrepeatable words about him in the past, Fergie, Moyes, Wenger, probably Pardew though he doesn't really count...

Status
Not open for further replies.