Mark Clattenburg

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Don't worry lads. The decisions all even themselves out in the end :)

cyberman

But Chelsea didn't score until late on so he was keeping Spurs in the race by letting Spurs away with it.
I'd level the same accusation at Michael Oliver after our draw v Leicester. Drinkwater pulled Depay back just outside the box but it continued until it was well inside.
Thats a pen or not a foul. He gives a freekick right on the line.
I'll bet any amount of money that Oliver followed the same line of thought as Clattenberg, I don't want to be accused of ruining this fairytale

DCP

I think these quotes are taken a little out of context. He's trying to say that he didn't send off the Tottenham players because he didn't want the headlines to be 'Clattenburg costs Spurs the title' however it comes across differently.

Anyway, he's still an idiot and he should be made to explain these comments.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I remember that Chelsea Spurs game well, it was the Ovrebo level of shocking refereeing. It seemed unless there was a murder on a pitch he wouldn't send off any of the Tottenham players, it was actually that bad.

It's interesting because we never hear from the referees, it's all about punishing players and managers. Now that he came out with this admission, people will trust referees' judgment even less.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Very surprising to hear him admit it; not at all surprising to learn that that was his approach - all who saw the match (save one Spurs supporter on here IIRC) couldn't believe that match ended 11-a-side :houllier:

But what can I say? Clattenburg :rolleyes:

RedDevil@84

I would take that as confession and ban him from PL for next 5 years or something like that.

Rajma

I think these quotes are taken a little out of context. He's trying to say that he didn't send off the Tottenham players because he didn't want the headlines to be 'Clattenburg costs Spurs the title' however it comes across differently.

That prick is so thick he didn't even think of opposite headlines 'Clatternburg costs Leicester the tittle with his awful decisions'.

djdhrubs

Never understood the praise he got. He's been 'me me me' throughout his refereeing career. Loves attention. Absolutely the attitude you shouldn't have as a ref.

SirAF

Ageist
Never understood the praise he got. He's been 'me me me' throughout his refereeing career. Loves attention. Absolutely the attitude you shouldn't have as a ref.
It really started when he got his hair plugged.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
I understand referees going into big games with a game plan since they're a bit more like schoolteachers than courtroom judges, but that's a glaring overkill. What makes it worse are his gutless personal motives behind it and moronic pride to gloat about it as if it could be called a success. Also the choice of word 'theatre', which indicates that there's a prepared script for the game ('spectacle' would be fine IMO)... It looks like Clattenburg's head got stuck in some dark place.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not a surprise, it's always been very clear he saw himself as a premier league star, just as important as the players.

He loved the power to change a game in what way he saw fit. If anything he probably wanted his name in the papers.

cyberman

Great point on Reddit..

What's even more absurd is the fact that he openly admits he allowed the game to unfold in that way and Chelsea and Tottenham were charged with failure to control their players by the FA. The ref who is hired by the FA to control a game allowed the game to get out of hand but the players and clubs were charged? How the feck is this accepted.

Mindhunter

Wow, people in India have gone to jail for less. This is match fixing on a grand scale.

GazTheLegend

I sort of see where he’s coming from and don’t doubt that there are plenty of referees that don’t want to give a team an excuse for losing a game of football and blame them, but the arrogance to admit it is completely out fecking rageous.

Glad this egotistical tosser is out the league, he was single handedly responsible for us losing many a match unjustly, perhaps due to his various ‘gameplans’ he had for our side.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Highly unsurprising that he speaks in third-person, he's a twat who's always been full of himself and wanted the limelight.

What if Spurs had got back in to the game as a result of his lenient refereeing towards them and beat Chelsea and ended up winning the league, he would have essentially cost Leicester the title.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I don't understand his line of reasoning. He intentionally made incorrect decisions so the public wouldn't blame him for making incorrect decisions?

Oldyella

What if Spurs had won and gone on to win the title, while kicking the shit out of Chelsea along the way? Sure Leicester would not of minded that, "spectacle etc"

Hawks2008

That's the exact shit I hate from referees, cnuts like him and Mike Dean who think that it's all about them.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
There is allowing a little leeway and then being a coward.

4 players should have been sent off according to him and he didn't want to send them off

What a useless referee glad he's not in the game anymore

SteveTheRed

This is the trouble with how popular the PL is and how many professional referees we have. They think they are the stars now, and we as fans build on that..."Oh no just seen Mike Dean is reffing" it just builds up an ego for them.

It's a shock to hear him admit it, but it's not shocking that they think like this. You ever watch BT Sport with Graham Poll? There is a flying two footed tackle 5 minutes into the game and he comes out with gems like "yes that is a red card but it's early in the game so I can see why the ref has only given a yellow"

dove

Meh, PL referees are shocking and clearly biased so I am not surprised.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
Wow this is unbelievable, if a player makes a ref card tackle they should be sent off regardless of how big the game is

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I can believe he would do something like this.

I can't believe he would admit it like this.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I wonder how many of his other decisions in games were down to him wanting to make the game a spectacle, or pre-determined game management?

Like when he didn't send Suarez off for diving against City, a decision which probably should have wrongly won Liverpool the league. Wouldn't have fitted the spectacle to send a Liverpool player off when they needed a goal, and he definitely didn't not send him off because he didn't see it...so with this admission the most likely explanation is now that he didn't send him off because he didn't want to send a Liverpool player off in case it handed the game to City and ruined the "theatre", which is basically match fixing.

You also now have to wonder how many other decisions by other referees have nothing to do with whether it is the right decision or not.

Smores

All PL referees seem do this sadly. Always been the case and always will be.

They have so little accountability that them looking after their reputation first and foremost is not surprising.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The best referee in the league at one point. When a referee says something like that you can understand how referees have such poor officiating. They go out with a specific plan to ref the game, instead of taking the game is it is.

So when you see the ref give every 50/50 to one team its on purpose.

Shocking