Mark Clattenburg

Irrational.

Amazing how much they're protected and allowed to be incompetent with impunity, reffing the game the way they want.

Imagine a manager questioning his performance after the game - definitely would have been a fine +/- ban.

Hopefully the twat is fired.

He's not the only one though: Atkinson, Dean, Oliver, Mason are equally as bad.

The sooner the refs are brought down a peg or ten and big decisions taken out of their hands, the better.

ManUArfa

The worst thing is that his reasoning is absolutely arse backwards. There were some tackles in that game that were so late and so off the mark, that it was obvious that they were trying to take out the player. He could have easily let the first few go and then give a red card for the 3rd of 4th one, because that'show crazy that game was, and the media would not care one bit.
In the old days refs would bring the captains together to tell them to sort it before the cards start coming out. That would have been good refereeing but for a reckless and dangerous challenge a ref would have to act there and then.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I wish football refs were as respected by the players as rugby fans...

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Just watched this, remembered it being a bad tempered match and Spuds players being pretty brutal but with what Twattenberg has come out with today, yeah at least 3 red cards, Chelsea players needed more protection from him, I love hefty challanges and tackles but some of it was borderline assault.

The stone wall look and shaking his head at the Chelsea players complaints when he knew they were right. What a complete wanker.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If ref's actually did their jobs, they'd be respected. Book players for dissent every single time and their world would change.
Yeah, my bad. Should've said "respectable".

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Just re watched that video, what an absolute clown Pochettino is for interfering.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Yes it's worth looking again at how Walker was sent off vs Everton. Ake was also very fortunate not to be red-carded for Bournemouth!

Seriously though, after the run of decisions City had in the last 2 seasons (especially in the bigger games) this season looks quite normal to me, some for and some against. Maybe that's the issue
The Palace game was favorable to City and the Arsenal game as well but the refereeing hasn't been shockingly in favor of City or anything but on the other hand City can't complain.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Some city fans are really delusional. If you are a top team then you are getting the rub of the green. There's been lots of research done into this, Referees favour big teams especially at home when they are pressured by the crowd.

SAF was a master at manipulating refs, and fergie time was actually a thing, under Fergie we got a lot more added time because Fergie would be pressuring refs before, during and after the game.

IrishRedDevil

Just watched this, remembered it being a bad tempered match and Spuds players being pretty brutal but with what Twattenberg has come out with today, yeah at least 3 red cards, Chelsea players needed more protection from him, I love hefty challanges and tackles but some of it was borderline assault.

What a bundle of dirty twats. Jumping about there like hard men and not a winners medal between the lot. Isn't it funny that a lot of those involved, such as Rose, Lamela and Dembele have all been out for long periods of time with injury. I'm a firm believer of what goes around comes around, and that's what happens when you intentionally try to harm another player.

It's also funny that Spurs players were acting hard. If the game really did get properly physical my money would be firmly on Chelsea with the likes Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic and Costa. Spurs couldn't win a fight nevermind the PL.

Watching this back, and following the latest comments from Clattenburg, it really is shocking that he didn't give the necessary protection to the players. It's his job and he should not be concerned about what's written in the media after a game, if 3 players should be sent off then he needs do his job.

Sanatio

Lucky for Clattenburg there were no serious injuries in that match and all this had come out. Legal action.

kotha

I remember some Chelsea fan on here going on about how he hated them and that he was deliberately not giving them fouls thinking he was being a paranoid person.. Maybe he was right after all.

He needs to be hauled in by the FA to explain his comments..

Need VAR asap.. The standard of referees is going down by the year..

sk6blue

Supports
Manchester City
The Palace game was favorable to City and the Arsenal game as well but the refereeing hasn't been shockingly in favor of City or anything but on the other hand City can't complain.
Kompany vs Leicester could be considered fortunate to escape with a yellow too. No complaints, as I say there's been some for and some against this season which is what you'd expect.

Have to say I'm glad Clattenberg is no longer a PL ref though, as shown by this interview he has totally the wrong attitude. Of the other refs none stand out as particularly bad, Oliver is a bit weak and reluctant to give decisions. The only exception is Anthony Taylor where City are concerned, just basing this on what I've seen not buying into conspiracy theories. He's reffing Swansea vs City after the derby so lets see how that goes :lol:

finneh

This is up there with the MP expenses scandal in the "no shit Sherlock" stakes. A group of people who have a ton of power with no accountability and no scrutiny are behaving in a self-serving, narcissistic and egotistical manner.

To blame Clattenberg is nuts, just as blaming politicians was nuts. It's been obvious for well over a decade, especially with the money in the game that referee's have needed much more scrutiny. They need to explain their decisions after a game and ultimately be promoted or demoted based on their good or bad decisions.

As it stands it's a cartel whereby any criticism is more likely to see fellow referee's show bias in the next few games, than actually achieve anything. Can you imagine any other profession where incompetence is not only so we'll protected, but vehemently defended.

The Hacker

I understand referees going into big games with a game plan since they're a bit more like schoolteachers than courtroom judges, but that's a glaring overkill. What makes it worse are his gutless personal motives behind it and moronic pride to gloat about it as if it could be called a success. Also the choice of word 'theatre', which indicates that there's a prepared script for the game ('spectacle' would be fine IMO)... It looks like Clattenburg's head got stuck in some dark place.
Yes, up ones own arse.

He has basically said he wanted to ensure the outcome of the match, irrespective of what the laws state, the laws he is charged with upholding, is what he wants it to be before a ball is kicked. Anyone checking to see if any odd no red cards bets were placed in a title crunch match between London rivals?! Ridiculous.

And ironically his name was in the papers for him shirking his responsibilities and not sending players off. But knowing him, that could well have been the plan. Whatever it takes, get my name in the papers!!!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
When he relates anecdotes about talking to famous players during matches, he doesn't seem to realise that these aren't chats between colleagues but rather on the level of catering staff asking Hollywood stars if they want more bread rolls. He thinks he's a star and an equal; he's wrong.

ManUArfa

This is up there with the MP expenses scandal in the "no shit Sherlock" stakes. A group of people who have a ton of power with no accountability and no scrutiny are behaving in a self-serving, narcissistic and egotistical manner.

To blame Clattenberg is nuts, just as blaming politicians was nuts. It's been obvious for well over a decade, especially with the money in the game that referee's have needed much more scrutiny. They need to explain their decisions after a game and ultimately be promoted or demoted based on their good or bad decisions.

As it stands it's a cartel whereby any criticism is more likely to see fellow referee's show bias in the next few games, than actually achieve anything. Can you imagine any other profession where incompetence is not only so we'll protected, but vehemently defended.
Great post. When you think of it this way it truly is a scandal - like the Fifa World cup bribes one before it...

Josep Dowling

It is a massive issue. The money that is at stake not only with the clubs but also with betting I am amazed at the state of the referees.

Not all of them are full time, most don’t even look match fit and they are paid very little compared to the players. Granted higher wages doesn’t mean better referees but it would attract more people into the profession, the pool of high level referee is so small.

The referees do need help though. It can be done so easily but as with most things in life the people that matter, who makes these decisions, just don’t have a clue.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Clattenburg here further denudes any trust fans have in the objectivity of refereeing. It's dumb and negligent thing to do, but only someone stunningly self absorbed could admit it given the knock on effects it has on people's perception of others still working in the game.

What a knobhead.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Clattenburg here further denudes any trust fans have in the objectivity of refereeing. It's dumb and negligent thing to do, but only someone stunningly self absorbed could admit it given the knock on effects it has on people's perception of others still working in the game.

What a knobhead.
You never know this could start playing on the refs minds and make them actually officiate fairly.

I agree wholeheartedly with the last sentence though.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
What a piece of shit

And from that day forward, it just reaffirmed that Spurs and Pochettino are corwards and have absolutely no respect for the game.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
Has the FA said anything yet? Nope. This comes at a time when the decisions the refs are making are getting worse and worse. Every fan of every premier league club know that this been going on for years but no one listens and call us all conspiracy theorist. At the end of the day now it's the truth. Refs have an Agenda, the media have an Agenda and so does the FA. Just look at the things Pep is getting away with, you think if it was Jose who was pushing a player he wouldn't get a banned? Hell he got banned for kicking a water bottle.

The FA needs to be reigned in and needs to be brought down peg or two. They are old and corrupt and one of the reason why England can't produce a good national team. It's a disgrace to the beautiful game and why the best players don't come to the premier league unless they want some good money, the tackles that teams gets away with are borderline yellow/ red card in any other league.

The english game is too much about physical and less so about technical ability of the players. So when teams focus so much on physical aspects they don't care to give those who are less athletic but more technical and hence why england is left calling up livermore to the national team. Teams like Stoke and Westbrom are known to just kick other players around the pitch and the refs let it go.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
That was a sweet match, very exciting and entertaining. We need much more similar matches.

Thank you Mark for being one of the reasons why.

Much love.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Suppose Chelsea should sue Clattenburg (if it's legally possible) for risking injury on their players & making him pay the fine they paid to FA.
I can't seem to find a video of Clattenburg saying these things?
(Please tell me it's not in the op! :lol:)

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Suppose Chelsea should sue Clattenburg (if it's legally possible) for risking injury on their players & making him pay the fine they paid to FA.
I can't seem to find a video of Clattenburg saying these things?
(Please tell me it's not in the op! :lol:)
It's from the latest Men in Blazer's podcast. Don't know if I'm allowed to link stuff, but it's easy to google. It's called the "Mark Clattenburg Pod Special".

finneh

It is a massive issue. The money that is at stake not only with the clubs but also with betting I am amazed at the state of the referees.

Not all of them are full time, most don’t even look match fit and they are paid very little compared to the players. Granted higher wages doesn’t mean better referees but it would attract more people into the profession, the pool of high level referee is so small.

The referees do need help though. It can be done so easily but as with most things in life the people that matter, who makes these decisions, just don’t have a clue.
Higher salaries would certainly help. However more than anything it requires honest and constructive analysis and criticism.

I remember reading a detailed analysis of how the aviation industry have so successfully improved the rate of incidents and near misses in their profession. Its so simple yet so effective - every near miss regardless of whether it causes damage or not is recorded, scrutinised and ultimately the information is used to ensure it doesn't happen again. I believe the medical profession is decades behind but is also now looking at a similar methodology in improving standards.

I'm hopeful Clattenberg's honesty will result in some positive change, as everyone has known the issue, but it's been an unspoken secret for far far too long. However just like the medical profession historically I bet his honesty results only in unhelpful criticism, allowing heads to continue to be firmly buried deep in the sand.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Where is the guy, who stalked me for two days, when I said I can totally see an umpire refusing substitutions, cause they have big heads and agendas? :lol: It´s commendable that the EPL doesn´t want a league of diving and time-wasting, but this has gone way too far the other way and is out of control. Tactical fouls are completely free of charge. Real bad challenges don´t even result in yellow cards. And the additional time for big clubs in need really needs some looking into, cause it fits right into the sports entertainment narrative.

Darkhorsez

Just read the story on ESPN. What an idiot! Two ways of looking at this. He either meant all this to mean that listen I didn’t want us referees to be the centre of attention post-game or let me be controversial here and get some publicity for my latest venture. Well either way, he is in trouble over these comments. Either the FA or Chelsea do have a case for legal action? I am not an expert on these things but surely he can’t get away with those god-like comments.

Hawks2008

What a piece of shit

And from that day forward, it just reaffirmed that Spurs and Pochettino are corwards and have absolutely no respect for the game.
To be honest they do it a lot, when things don't go their way they make lots of dirty/petulant fouls.

Can7onA

BREAKING NEWS

Clattenburg is a cnut.

Did we not know this already?

kotha

Has the FA not commented on it yet? I guess they are hoping to slyly brush it under the carpet..

I sort of see where he’s coming from and don’t doubt that there are plenty of referees that don’t want to give a team an excuse for losing a game of football and blame them, but the arrogance to admit it is completely out fecking rageous.

Glad this egotistical tosser is out the league, he was single handedly responsible for us losing many a match unjustly, perhaps due to his various ‘gameplans’ he had for our side.
This.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He's just confirming what everybody already knows: that the Premier League brand is built on a being an unpredictable spectacle. The PL emphasises it as a 'selling point' and has actively been built on the back of media like Sky Sports expressing passion and action as its main focus. It's sexy. It sells. The PL wouldn't be anywhere near as successful otherwise. I also suspect that's why referees aren't held accountable.

Do I like Clattenburg? No, but he's a human being and he's simply saying he's been influenced by it. Where, why and how is now the main subject and if the powers that be gave a shit beyond just seeming like they do they'd actively try to reduce cognitive bias on referees. And in saying that he's been affected, he's suggesting that he's no different to us in accepting into the system of values that the PL has built up over time.

I'm saying this because I don't think he's rogue. He's not really much different to other referees, except perhaps having a much bigger ego. Howard Webb was the same. It's simply a very different game since the likes of David Elleray would bring two captains together to tell them what they're going to do if all the monkey-business continues.

We don't need to witch-hunt refs. We need the PL to step up to the plate and do something. I personally think more transparent refereeing would improve the neutrality of the game because, right now, they're part of the spectacle.

Last edited: