Mark Clattenburg

Just seen that Rafael/Vardy penalty decision again. Absolutely criminal. Hearing how he approached games, I think the cnut stage managed the whole thing.
Ordinarily I wouldn't care too much but it's good to hear he's being dragged through the press over his affair. He cost a number of our players their careers with his decisions in that game.

UnseenMaster

Supports
Chelsea
He's an idiot. I'm shocked Chelsea haven't taken legal action after his statements. His inability to take control of the match vs Spurs could have resulted in a Chelsea player being injured. In addition it caused the brawl after the game. The same brawl where Gus's fell and nearly bust his head open on the stairs.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Ordinarily I wouldn't care too much but it's good to hear he's being dragged through the press over his affair. He cost a number of our players their careers with his decisions in that game.
Slightly melodramatic don’t you think, just because they left you doesn’t mean their careers are over

Slightly melodramatic don’t you think, just because they left you doesn’t mean their careers are over
I think it's valid. Where are they both now?

Tyler Blackett had just been establishing himself with a series of decent performances, after that he was never trusted again and only started one more game for us before being sold.

Rafael got 3 more starts before being shipped out.

LVG stopped trusting a number of players after that game and now we know it wasn't through honest mistakes but because the referee in charge thought he was part of the 'story'.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Blackett was sent off for a professional foul, not Clattenburg’s fault and he’s playing regular first team football for Reading, yeah he left you but he’s a young player and can still come back to PL level.

Rafael was sold cus he’s actually pretty crap and showed he was completely brain dead in how he reacted. Valencia is much much better, if Rafael was that good he would have done one season at Lyon and been picked up by someone else.

Blackett was sent off for a professional foul, not Clattenburg’s fault and he’s playing regular first team football for Reading, yeah he left you but he’s a young player and can still come back to PL level.

Rafael was sold cus he’s actually pretty crap and showed he was completely brain dead in how he reacted. Valencia is much much better, if Rafael was that good he would have done one season at Lyon and been picked up by someone else.
Blackett was sent off after Clattenburg waved play on for a tackle more suited to a rugby match than football, and Rafael had become a pretty solid fixture in our side until that point.

sugar_kane

That game was such a killer, as upto then we were playing open exciting football, but once you've shipped 5, not unreasonably you question things, and we went super dull after that.
Still one of the biggest myths about Van Gaal’s tenure ever

We had 5 points from 12 at that point having drew against Sunderland and Burnley and lost at home vs Swansea

The game before we had beaten an absolutely woeful QPR at home 4-0 but the other games heavily featured the same same shite we had become accustomed to by the end of Van Gaal’s time in charge.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

We had 5 points from 12 at that point having drew against Sunderland and Burnley and lost at home vs Swansea

The game before we had beaten an absolutely woeful QPR at home 4-0 but the other games heavily featured the same same shite we had become accustomed to by the end of Van Gaal’s time in charge.
I didn't say it was a particularly long lasting spell playing like that :lol:

clarkydaz

We were attack minded lineup wise. He was starting games with DiMaria, RVP, Rooney and Falcao. Pretty sure this game was the end of that

Bojan11

The Saudis have had enough of him and he’s being replaced.

So he’s coming home. I can’t see how the FA or premier league let him referee in this country again after his comments about letting Spurs self destruct rather than making the correct decisions in the game.

RedDevil@84

The Saudis have had enough of him and he’s being replaced.

So he’s coming home. I can’t see how the FA or premier league let him referee in this country again after his comments about letting Spurs self destruct rather than making the correct decisions in the game.
FA are shameless. They could do anything

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The guy has a god complex

NYAS

He was on the Keys and Gray show yesterday. The amount of times he talked about the PL being a huge part of the “entertainment” business and referees having to contribute to that made me feel pretty uneasy.

Decent otherwise but it’s very clear he sees himself as a celebrity referee and that can’t have helped integrity.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He was on the Keys and Gray show yesterday. The amount of times he talked about the PL being a huge part of the “entertainment” business and referees having to contribute to that made me feel pretty uneasy.

Decent otherwise but it’s very clear he sees himself as a celebrity referee and that can’t have helped integrity.
Oh right, so refs deliberately act like cnuts because, for some reason, they think that's what people want. Whereas, what people really want is to watch a game of football and for the ref to be pretty much invisible unless absolutely needed.

SirAF

Ageist

Exactly! That's what I said all along. Clattenburg was a decent ref until he started to buy into his own hype - getting his hair plugged and getting inked with the logos and trophies from the finals he reffed ffs! A good referee should barely be noticed.

Exactly! getting inked with the logos and trophies from the finals he reffed ffs! A good referee should barely be noticed.
Never heard that before!

nothing wrong per se with him doing that, but showing people is pretty sad.

you are right, the ref shouldn’t be noticed.

Robert

Fecking hell. I thought he was a bit of a joke when I seen them tattoos, but now I realise lowkey he's just one of life's top pricks

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Isn’t that literally match fixing? :houllier:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Isn’t that literally match fixing? :houllier:
No
Exactly! That's what I said all along. Clattenburg was a decent ref until he started to buy into his own hype - getting his hair plugged and getting inked with the logos and trophies from the finals he reffed ffs! A good referee should barely be noticed.
Yeah, agree with this. He was very good at first, and then seemed to start refereeing more for the cameras.

Redcy

Two wrongs make a right apparently.
I cam understand it being on your mind subconciously and it might even affect your decision making, but if he is saying he went out of his way to even things up, thats just idiotic.

RedDevil@84

Two wrongs make a right apparently.
Re-affirms my opinion that this guy should be given an official ban, though he is retired.
First he confessed to manipulating the Spurs-Chelsea game, just because he wanted the game to flow in his way.
And now this.

It is a shame that FA was pushing him as a face of English refereeing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm convinced he's not the only one. VAR has flaws but imo, it minimises bullshit like this.

izec

Not surprised, he isn't the only one. Plenty of refs try to even out things after they realise they made a mistake. If you watch games closely, it is obvious as hell. If there isn't a situation where they can gift the other team a goal, they will look to give them every 50/50 call. fecking pricks.

Now with VAR, it has evened out a bit, due to getting saved a lot of times when making big mistakes.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No surprise. Other refs have come out and said the same since retiring.

The whole refereeing set up needs binning and starting from scratch with new refs.

Dunno if they're taught to do this or it's just a thing they probably talk about in their circles, but there needs to be a different culture around the lot.

What's ridiculous is, even though they see it as 'evening out', it could massively sway the game. If you even it out at a certain point it might have a big psychological effect. Or if you blow for a pen that shouldn't have been, not doing that could have meant the other team runs up the other end and scores a fair goal, which now never happens, and they did nothing wrong other than be 'victim' to a poor refereeing decision that actually went their way. It's madness.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
No surprise. Other refs have come out and said the same since retiring.

The whole refereeing set up needs binning and starting from scratch with new refs.

Dunno if they're taught to do this or it's just a thing they probably talk about in their circles, but there needs to be a different culture around the lot.

What's ridiculous is, even though they see it as 'evening out', it could massively sway the game. If you even it out at a certain point it might have a big psychological effect. Or if you blow for a pen that shouldn't have been, not doing that could have meant the other team runs up the other end and scores a fair goal, which now never happens.
They're not taught to do it neither is starting from scratch going to do anything. Referees have no accountability. That is where the problem lies. You can't even talk about a ref having a shocker. They don't have to give any explanation. They decide games and the entire football community shrugs and moves on.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
They're not taught to do it neither is starting from scratch going to do anything. Referees have no accountability. That is where the problem lies. You can't even talk about a ref having a shocker. They don't have to give any explanation. They decide games and the entire football community shrugs and moves on.
a lot of former refs have said Refs would be happy to be interviewed to explain a decision but PGMOL doesn't let them

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Sticking with refs that have done this the whole time probably isn't a great move either. They clearly don't have the right approach, and that's on top of most of them just not being very good full stop. So if you ask me, starting from scratch in every way and doing it better, as well as holding them to account would be the best thing they can do.