Mark Geiger - Referee

izec

He didnt make horrendous or costly mistakes, but he had no control of the game. Had no idea how to handle the Colombian players

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He didnt make horrendous or costly mistakes, but he had no control of the game. Had no idea how to handle the Colombian players
Oh yeah, that headbutt that he gave a yellow for was definitely not horrendous or costly. Or that studs up tackle by Young that actually got a free kick in England's favour. What about that two footed lunge on Rose that was just a foul and no card. Of course those are just the dangerous tackles, you also have accumulation of yellow cards that were not given.

txred

For those saying this stage is too big for him, he’s equally shite in the MLS and CONCACAF. He’s just not very good.

izec

Oh yeah, that headbutt that he gave a yellow for was definitely not horrendous or costly. Or that studs up tackle by Young that actually got a free kick in England's favour. What about that two footed lunge on Rose that was just a foul and no card. Of course those are just the dangerous tackles, you also have accumulation of yellow cards that were not given.
No ref give red cards this tournament, unelss you block the ball with your hand on the line. He already gave a lot of yellows, this isnt your normal club season. They have instructions from Fifa. Looking from that background, it wasnt horrendous. He would never give a red for that headbutt.

TheReligion

Abusive
Should have sent off Barrios for the headbutt 100%.

Colombia ruined things with their appalling gamesmanship. They should be criticised here more than the ref.

Bojan11

Should have sent off Barrios for the headbutt 100%.

Colombia ruined things with their appalling gamesmanship. They should be criticised here more than the ref.
To be fair the Var idiots in his ear told him its a yellow.

He should have reviewed and looked at it himself.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Had a poor game. But when one side sets out to play the way they did, it's always going to be hard.

I doubt we'll be seeing him again this world cup though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I actually think he handled most of it pretty well. It definitely got away from him at times but it's hard to handle a team where all 11 players are so committed to cheating.

I've seen dirtier sides but never seen an International side so on-message when it comes to gamesmanship. That's not organic, it's deliberate.

Oldham

Tough game for any referee. But some horrible decisions.

Yellow for a headbutt on Henderson, clearly red.
It was not a penalty for England. Should've been a foul on Kane.
The throw in thing!!! Why did he stop the play??

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Watched him in MLS for 3 years now.

Shite.

Giggs86

Horrible, looks like the American Oliver. You need an assertive ref with personality for a game like today, this guy looked like he's been bullied off the park by the players.

forevrared

As a regular watcher of both MLS and CONCACAF games, it was mind-boggling for me that he was given a game in the knockout stages of the World Cup. He was obviously desperate not to send anyone off today and that's why he lost control. The behavior of the Colombians was appalling, though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Think this has been a reoccurring theme this whole world cup. The whole VAR and then surrounding the refs. This should have be handled by FIFA. It's disgraceful how some teams have acted around the refs and in games.
Good point. The players want VAR for everything. Well, give it to them and make simulation a red card offense. There was a lot of it tonight.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I actually think he handled most of it pretty well. It definitely got away from him at times but it's hard to handle a team where all 11 players are so committed to cheating.

I've seen dirtier sides but never seen an International side so on-message when it comes to gamesmanship. That's not organic, it's deliberate.
To be fair, Colombia aren't usually like that. I agree it was deliberate but I think the logic was there's nobody out there who gets so worked up about gamesmanship as you guys.

It's a weakness because it throws you off your game and into a negative mindset. If you ask me, it worked according to plan in unsettling England, but was a bad idea in the first place because they forgot to actually play any football themselves.

Dunno, maybe they really thought they didn't have enough in their locker to win it without James. If that's the case they were doomed from inception.

The ref was awful and only made it worse.

UnrelatedPsuedo

To be fair, Colombia aren't usually like that. I agree it was deliberate but I think the logic was there's nobody out there who gets so worked up about gamesmanship as you guys.

It's a weakness because it throws you off your game and into a negative mindset. If you ask me, it worked according to plan in unsettling England, but was a bad idea in the first place because they forgot to actually play any football themselves.

Dunno, maybe they really thought they didn't have enough in their locker to win it without James. If that's the case they were doomed from inception.
I don't think it unsettled England at all. Fans, yes. Players, no.

Colombia acted terribly. The scenes around the penalty, one of the free kicks and after the equaliser were terrible.

Lets be honest, nobody would watch football if every team behaved like that.

antohan

I don't think it unsettled England at all. Fans, yes. Players, no.

Colombia acted terribly. The scenes around the penalty, one of the free kicks and after the equaliser were terrible.

Lets be honest, nobody would watch football if every team behaved like that.
If that's the case England are awful.

UnrelatedPsuedo

If that's the case England are awful.
Yes. They are. They're efficiently average. Nobody is claiming this is a good England side.

Yet strangely we don't resort to the tactics that Colombia did.

Henderson went down like he'd been shot at one point but it was notable by it's rarity. England players dive, appeal and act up at times, but I've never seen a team act as Colombia did. They were a disgrace and obliterated all the good-will they'd earned to that point.

England's only worry going into the game would have been Colombia getting the ball and stretching us, with your creative players making chances for Falcao. Instead, they gave up on that and tried to cheat, delay upset and spoil at every turn.

spottieottiedopaliscious

Americans call the sport Soccer, this is FIFA, Federation International Football Association, they shouldn't get near this situations, they can't face the task. VAMOS COLOMBIA.
What? Don’t use someone nationality as the reason why you think they were horrible, and then be shocked when someone gets offended or rubbed the wrong way. The ref being American had nothing to do with it and is a shit argument.

It wouldn’t have mattered who had been in charge. When you have a team acting like children and playing anti-football it makes it near impossible for any ref. Like he’s the first ref to let a game get out of control. There is almost one example every major tournament and weekly in any EPL match.

redIndianDevil

Yes. They are. They're efficiently average. Nobody is claiming this is a good England side.

Yet strangely we don't resort to the tactics that Colombia did.

Henderson went down like he'd been shot at one point but it was notable by it's rarity. England players dive, appeal and act up at times, but I've never seen a team act as Colombia did. They were a disgrace and obliterated all the good-will they'd earned to that point.

England's only worry going into the game would have been Colombia getting the ball and stretching us, with your creative players making chances for Falcao. Instead, they gave up on that and tried to cheat, delay upset and spoil at every turn.
Because the ref was obviously favoring them, even then Young, Maguire had yellow card-able dives and both escaped punishment. In a period after the first goal, the ref kept awarding yellows for the Colombians for little fouls and English players escaped for similar offences.

SER19

I think the refs have been great but geiger has been very poor. Shouldn't get another game

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not an England fan at all, but Colombia was utterly disgraceful for the first 70+ minutes. A red card would have calmed the game, but caused even more uproar later after the match.

That was like watching a Copa Libertadores match or something. Absolutely comical levels of villainy and shithouse tactics. The Colombians digging out the penalty spot was just the icing on the cake of laughable behavior.

Ferguson

He was especially awful, but Colombia would have made it hard on any referee. They showed him no respect, right from the start of the match.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He seriously is. He's the only MLS referee whos name I know, which isn't a good thing. I couldn't believe it when I heard he was referee for such an important game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He got bullied by Colombia, he clearly started giving them more lenient decisions after the penalty.

I couldn't believe he allowed them to waste 3/4 minutes by shouting in their faces, he should have started showing yellow cards and that would have warned them.

Falcao was an absolute disgrace all night, I get that he's passionate but he went too far.

wurzel-red

Because the ref was obviously favoring them, even then Young, Maguire had yellow card-able dives and both escaped punishment. In a period after the first goal, the ref kept awarding yellows for the Colombians for little fouls and English players escaped for similar offences.
He gave a yellow for a blatant headbutt! How you can say he favoured England today is beyond me.

Watch the penalty again. Sanchez starts of trying to grab Kane’s knee like some kind of Olympic wrestler!

Zoo

Tonight's Referee in the England Colombia game.

Completely lost control. This game is too big for him.
Yep he gave a good impersonation fo Michael Oliver.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He got bullied by Colombia, he clearly started giving them more lenient decisions after the penalty.
I'm sorry, what? :lol: He gave nothing to Colombia after the penalty. And the english took full advantage of the shit ref and histerical colombians by acting up, diving and generally trying to cheat their way to the finish line. Ref was shit all around. Didn't favour either team on the whole probably. But the english were far from little angels

buchansleftleg

To be fair to the ref I think there has been some sort of directive about trying to reduce the number of red cards.

It feels like with VAR they are happy to give goals / penalties etc but they have consistently failed to send off players in this World cup for over the top tackles, last ditch fouls to stop a goal, acts of violent conduct etc.

Ronaldo incident - have seen less of a reaction than that given as a red in previous world cups (Beckham '98 anyone)
Jorgensons tackle for Denmark - penalty given (subsequently saved) but no red card
Barrios Headbutt vs England - Clearly violent conduct - should have been off
Rebic tackle vs Argentina- Nasty tackle that should have seen him go off.

Given each of these went for VAR review the ref can't blame poor vision of the incidents. It feels to me that FIFA want people to associate VAR with goals and excitement so are slanting the reviews in this direction.

Don't get me wrong I think previous World cups have been ruined by over officious referees making rash sendings off for minor infringements in key games. This has resulted in dour one sided affairs rather than a matchup of equals.

However the fact that Falcao (as captain remember) just completely lost the plot and was physically intimidating the referee last night and got away with it, worries me as I think some clubs left in the competition will now realise they can get away with such behaviour and will act out (I'm looking at you Suarez / Uruguay!).

Will be interesting if FIFA make some extra sanction against Colombia (eg for the actions of that assistant on Sterling) to send out a stronger message ahead of the Quarter Finals.

Classical Mechanic

I think you misread the game. It was Colombia who were thrown off, they lost their cool on a number of occasions. England were taking a long time on their free kicks in order to let little dramas develop in the box, one of which resulted in a penalty and another which should have been a red card. I thought it was great game management tbh.

ninjaskill

Geiger is still hated in Panama for a Concacaf Gold Cup game he refereed. For whatever reason he seems unable to fully control players most of the time as the delays on the penalty and free kick late in the first half showed, it wasn't an easy game to ref by any means but it seemed pretty clear the players from both sides didn't think much of him.

In fact he was so bad in the Mexico Panama game he had to issue a statement admitting he was wrong, Panama threatened to not play in the third place playoff and a big Panamanian paper went for the headline F**king referee.

Last edited:

Alfie092

Sack this fraud of a referee. Was dreadful in the Portugal vs Morocco game too!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think you misread the game. It was Colombia who were thrown off, they lost their cool on a number of occasions. England were taking a long time on their free kicks in order to let little dramas develop in the box, one of which resulted in a penalty and another which should have been a red card. I thought it was great game management tbh.
It was, right until you stopped trying to play football and went all out trying to take advantage of the ref and the colombians reactions

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sack this fraud of a referee. Was dreadful in the Portugal vs Morocco game too!
Quite frankly he was awfull on that game, and he hasn't the excuse with players behaviours on that day.

bpet15

Absolute shit referee. Shouldn’t be anywhere near this tournament.

I don’t watch many MLS matches, but it seems anytime this guy is handed a big match, he shits himself.

beedoubleyou

Don't think either side made it easy for him. Columbia definitely set the tone and a firmer hand from the ref earlier on would have really helped the game.

antohan

Two games IMO. Up to the penalty Colombians were using it as their unsettling/muddying things up tactic to stop England getting into any sort of rhythm. I'd agree penalty and the next 20 minutes or so the Colombians completely lost the plot and England milked it. Shoe in the other foot and all that: "clock works in our favour, ref is pissed off with you, and you ain't scoring in a month of Sundays in that state".

Somehow they managed to pull themselves together for about ten minutes and scored. Should make them wonder "what if?".

Horrible game really. As I said somewhere, only thing worth my time were Rashford's and Hendo's penalties.