Mark Geiger - Referee

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Two games IMO. Up to the penalty Colombians were using it as their unsettling/muddying things up tactic to stop England getting into any sort of rhythm. I'd agree penalty and the next 20 minutes or so the Colombians completely lost the plot and England milked it. Shoe in the other foot and all that: "clock works in our favour, ref is pissed off with you, and you ain't scoring in a month of Sundays in that state".

Somehow they managed to pull themselves together for about ten minutes and scored. Should make them wonder "what if?".

Horrible game really. As I said somewhere, only thing worth my time were Rashford's and Hendo's penalties.
It really isn't the first time I saw Colombia under Pekerman having this type of behaviour. Last WC against Brazil, Copa America vs Brazil and so on. It looks they should hire someone from Uruguay to teach them the right way to do this. :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
He should've been sent packing after Morocco - Portugal. One of the worst ref performance in the group stage easily.

Him and that clown from Croatia - Denmark should be delisted.

Revan

Assumptionman
Dier's corner was worst thing he missed.
And that Colombian's player red card. And potential Henderson's red card. And booking every Colombia player. And at least booking that Colombian player who digged the penalty spot.

Among other things. He had no idea what he was doing. Pathetic performance.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Awful for the neutral, when its your own nation though, its very intense!
I know, I'm fully expecting the same barrage of abuse on Friday but we will need to try get past France without Cavani to make it 7 games.

I reckon he can be back fit for the last stretch but for that to be a possibility we will have to dig deep and try jam our way through the next game. If we rush him we will lose him and would stink up the semis instead if we got there.

antohan

It really isn't the first time I saw Colombia under Pekerman having this type of behaviour. Last WC against Brazil, Copa America vs Brazil and so on. It looks they should hire someone from Uruguay to teach them the right way to do this. :lol:
Yeah, but that's a credible way to play Brazil most times. They rarely have a player that will hurt you if you make it a scrap. Exhibit A - Brazil vs Netherlands 2010.

It's one of the reasons I always feared Romario more than I ever feared Ronaldo or Ronaldinho. You know who I worry about if we play Brazil? Not Neymar, not Coutinho, not Willian... Paulinho.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah, but that's a credible way to play Brazil most times. They rarely have a player that will hurt you if you make it a scrap. Exhibit A - Brazil vs Netherlands 2010.

It's one of the reasons I always feared Romario more than I ever feared Ronaldo or Ronaldinho. You know who I worry about if we play Brazil? Not Neymar, not Coutinho, not Willian... Paulinho.
I know, I don't know why in England they are suprised, I even think Colombia didn't do nothing that they didn't do in the past. Everyone was expecting Portugal vs Uruguay to be dirty because Pepe or Suarez were there, after all you even saw Ronaldo helping Cavani to leave the pitch, except the casual Quaresma brainfarts here ot there, sometimes Suarez.

Classical Mechanic

I know, I'm fully expecting the same barrage of abuse on Friday but we will need to try get past France without Cavani to make it 7 games.

I reckon he can be back fit for the last stretch but for that to be a possibility we will have to dig deep and try jam our way through the next game. If we rush him we will lose him and would stink up the semis instead if we got there.
You are a bad match up for France. They look devastating when you let their roadrunners tear in behind, won't happen against Uruguay. Probably go to pens.

antohan

I know, I don't know why in England they are suprised, I even think Colombia didn't do nothing that they didn't do in the past. Everyone was expecting Portugal vs Uruguay to be dirty because Pepe or Suarez were there, after all you even saw Ronaldo helping Cavani to leave the pitch, except the casual Quaresma brainfarts here ot there, sometimes Suarez.
I was actually surprised how mild it was. I was expecting a major Pepe v Suarez shitfest.

antohan

You are a bad match up for France. They look devastating when you let their roadrunners tear in behind, won't happen against Uruguay. Probably go to pens.
Agree, I would be very confident with Cavani, now just praying to keep a clean sheet. Torreira doing a good job on Pogba will make or break it.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Geiger should have realized that there was a good chance Colombia would use the dark arts to try to steal this match. Once he saw it start he should have started showing yellow cards. Big mistake from him and it ruined the match.

Also, I was incensed on how long each restart took and this was on the ref. The ball and line marking are fine but it needs to be done quickly and if one team tries to stall things give a yellow. FIFA needs to figure out a way that teams can do a quick restart in lieu of the markings.

Fridge chutney

Yes, but please take history Into account and that England already reaped the reward in shape of a penalty and goal.

Andres Escobar died because of an own goal and it tells you something about how Crazy fans can get and how small little mistakes can have an even more terrible endgame after a game of football has been played.
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. That Colombia of 2018 resembles Colombia of 1994? That's not even close to being true.

That Colombians were forced to use the tactics they employed for fear of retribution? Again, nowhere close to reality.

That the ref needs to be cognizant of potential geopolitical or local ramifications for players when he makes calls? Insanity.

ROFLUTION

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. That Colombia of 2018 resembles Colombia of 1994? That's not even close to being true.

That Colombians were forced to use the tactics they employed for fear of retribution? Again, nowhere close to reality.

That the ref needs to be cognizant of potential geopolitical or local ramifications for players when he makes calls? Insanity.
Of course not - But no matter how you look at it both countries has had sick aftermaths, in which the human implecations should be respected. A doll of Beckham getting hanged for instance. Columbia is of course not at all like in 94 - but its still a rough country where only last year FARC laid down their weapons. And of course we probably wont see a killing, but my example was used to see how awful a luck-based decision can go wrong in a football mad country.

Im saying both countries has history and Even more important that England had already reaped the reward with a goal on penalty. Id rather have a ref who doesnt double penalize

Classical Mechanic

Of course not - But no matter how you look at it both countries has had sick aftermaths, in which the human implecations should be respected. A doll of Beckham getting hanged for instance. Columbia is of course not at all like in 94 - but its still a rough country where only last year FARC laid down their weapons. And of course we probably wont see a killing, but my example was used to see how awful a luck-based decision can go wrong in a football mad country.

Im saying both countries has history and Even more important that England had already reaped the reward with a goal on penalty. Id rather have a ref who doesnt double penalize
There’s a fantastic documentary called ‘the two pablos’ about Escobar and the 94 World Cup. The people close to him conclude that he was murdered because he he stood up to two mafioso in a club that were giving him grief for the situation, rather than him being killed simply because of the OG or a betting syndicate.

Fridge chutney

England didn't reap any reward. A correct penalty decision was made. Not luck, just rules.

Colombia is a completely different country now compared to 1994. Speculation of what "may" happen to a player based on an event in 1994 doesn't make sense to me. Escobar wasn't killed because the country is football mad. He was killed because the country was the most dangerous place in the world at the time, and the state had failed and rule of law was nonexistent. That is not the case now. Colombia has made an incredible and startling recovery and comparisons to 1994 in this context are invalid, in my opinion.

Fridge chutney

There’s a fantastic documentary called ‘the two pablos’ about Escobar and the 94 World Cup. The people close to him conclude that he was murdered because he he stood up to two mafioso in a club that were giving him grief for the situation, rather than him being killed simply because of the OG or a betting syndicate.
Correct. A tragic and horrible situation. But remember, drug lords and cartel associates had big investments in football clubs. They are hardly likely to condone killing their most valuable assets (players) who were also national treasures. It may have been planned, but it's also possible that Escobar was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. We'll probably never know.

ROFLUTION

England didn't reap any reward. A correct penalty decision was made. Not luck, just rules.

Colombia is a completely different country now compared to 1994. Speculation of what "may" happen to a player based on an event in 1994 doesn't make sense to me. Escobar wasn't killed because the country is football mad. He was killed because the country was the most dangerous place in the world at the time, and the state had failed and rule of law was nonexistent. That is not the case now. Colombia has made an incredible and startling recovery and comparisons to 1994 in this context are invalid, in my opinion.
As far as I understand (correct me if im wrong), the refs are instructed to not double penalize i.e giving both a penalty and sending the player off.

I can sense we'll never agree with how there can be extremely inhuman repercussions because of too much penalizing, so I dont think it makes sense to take this mini-debate any further.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
As far as I understand (correct me if im wrong), the refs are instructed to not double penalize i.e giving both a penalty and sending the player off.

I can sense we'll never agree with how there can be extremely inhuman repercussions because of too much penalizing, so I dont think it makes sense to take this mini-debate any further.

A penalty kick isn't a punishment, it's restoring the goalscoring opportunity. The sanction on the player is the punishment.

ROFLUTION

A penalty kick isn't a punishment, it's restoring the goalscoring opportunity. The sanction on the player is the punishment.
What? are you seriously claiming that Kane's opportunity/possibility for a goal would be as big as the penalty he got? Of course the penalty was a way bigger chance, and In that Lies the punishment + a yellow card.

Edit: And if someone stumbled into another player in the middle of the football field it probably would only give a freekick with no yellow.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What? are you seriously claiming that Kane's opportunity/possibility for a goal would be as big as the penalty he got? Of course the penalty was a way bigger chance, and In that Lies the punishment + a yellow card.

I'm explaining the rules to you.

Fridge chutney

I don't disagree that inhumane repercussions can occur as a result of football. But referees cannot officiate incorrectly because of this.

Also, 'double' punishment is warranted sometimes by the rules of the game. Not sure how yesterday's match applies. A penalty was correctly awarded for England. A player headbutted another and incorrectly stayed on the pitch. Those are two separate incidents.

ROFLUTION

I'm explaining the rules to you.
So Is your post a direct explanation of the rules or your interpretation/opinion?

Sorry, the language in your post made no suggestions to whether it was just an opinion of yours or actual rules with a source.

KranjskaKlobasa

The worst thing when this kind of refereeing happens is that his standard changes every 15 minutes or so - lashing out yellows for every minor foul, then stopping play for every minor foul, afterwards no stopping for bigger fouls and so forth. As a neutral (with a slight dislike for Colombians) I saw him being more favorable towards England team on few occasions, but this could also be due being completely out of depth at such big stage.

Switch

i thought he was fine tbh - can’t blame him for the Columbia player’s dirty tactics and the way that they moaned about every decision when they were clear fouls.

Columbia should have had a red card for the headbutt but that was VAR who made the decision so can’t blame him there.

Lord Vader

In fairness to him Colombias approach was dreadful. And England allowed themselves to be dragged to that level.

No excuse for missing Stones kicking Falcao in the head or not sending off the defender that headbutted Henderson though.
If the ref now supposed to have omniscient God-like powers? Look at the video of the Barrios/Henderson incident -- Geiger's attention was directed at the two Colombian defenders bitching at him as the wall was being formed, and he clearly was not able to see the headbutt (I can't link to the youtube video here, because of lack of posting privileges, but look up "Why Barrios not Red Card".

The decision to give only a yellow card ultimately was due to the VAR official advising him as such. And it's Clear As Mud whether the referee is even allowed to review and countermand the VAR official in cases like this. There is a sideline TV available for the ref to look at, but I can't find anything online outlining the rules which state under what specific circumstances the ref is allowed to review the footage himself.

I actually think, when it came to major decisions, Geiger actually had a good game. Where he failed -- and others pointed this out -- is allowing the Colombians to bully him, especially when they surrounded him and scuffed the penalty area. He should have issued two or more yellows right there.

Reactions: Sultan

Robertd0803

If the ref now supposed to have omniscient God-like powers?
Of course :) though wouldnt be as much fun debating if that was the case.

Seriously though the ref (any ref) should at least have the other officials supporting him to the extent stuff like Stones kicking Falcao and the scuffing the penalty spot gets spotted. It wasnt and therefore its the ref gets the flak normally. The VAR decision to only give a yellow for the headbutt was wrong and that wasnt his fault but he still missed Stones kicking Falcao. If he did see it and not take action then thats a rubbish decision anyway.

I agree that he handled the game well to a certain point until England let themselves get drawn in by Colombias crap. (Thats not a pop at England either it was inevitable.)