Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Phoenix Rising

Averagely.

His best form for Everton was as a big lump at no.10. The game where he contributed the most for us was against Hull when he played exactly the same role.
Why do people keep blurting this out? I'm lost on this one. It was 3/4 of a season and he wasn't even that great in that forward role if I am honest. It was pretty similar to under Moyes (at United) and Wilmots. It wasn't just lump it to him all day every day, it was a variable role in which anything other than 'to feet' was an outlet. I also fail to see why this is such a bad thing? Football can be played in many ways - even off the deck in a suitable fashion other than 'big lump ball'.

His better work came as a ball winner prior to that season and the season before. He was pretty well rated in that respect at the time. So I am still struggling to understand why people keep referring to this when it is blatantly incorrect.

Even in the Everton v Norwich/W. Brom/Cardiff games he played the ball winner under Martinez. There are three examples right there that nullify this same default response from a lot of people.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Averagely.

His best form for Everton was as a big lump at no.10. The game where he contributed the most for us was against Hull when he played exactly the same role.
Nah - he had much better performances for us than the game against Hull.
palace, west brom, everton etc - played midfield and was rated quite highly by many

Red Phoenix Rising

Yes he was, he was unplayable at times.
As a complete lump? (which is what I was referring to, as I saw it - he played a very all-round role - not just a complete lump having ball punted at him from everywhere) Surely as an Everton fan you can weigh in that there is a defensive side to his game so we can be cured from the tedious posts regarding that ability?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
As a complete lump? (which is what I was referring to, as I saw it - he played a very all-round role - not just a complete lump having ball punted at him from everywhere) Surely as an Everton fan you can weigh in that there is a defensive side to his game so we can be cured from the tedious posts regarding that ability?
Yeah he was not really used as a pure target man like some are insinuating. He was more used the way Gerrard was used when he was played as a #10 for Liverpool or the way Toure was used when he played as a #10 for City. Obviously not on their level though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In an advanced role he was great for us. In a defensive role he was great for us.

Kyonn

Fellaini is far better than people are given him credit for, and if he stays he's going make most people in this thread look silly this season. I'm not by any means sayings he's an elite CM or that he was worth what we paid but he's not "crap". He wouldn't be starting for Belgium if he was.

To many are judging him purely on last season, though they won't admit it, and that is silly. When a player joins a team after the season starts they almost always have problems integrating into the team and showing their best. Just look at Evra-and-Vidic's first season, they were horrible. Plus you add to that he was dealing with two serious injuries, one that required mid-season surgery, it's no wonder he played poorly.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Fellaini is far better than people are given him credit for, and if he stays he's going make most people in this thread look silly this season. I'm not by any means sayings he's an elite CM or that he was worth what we paid but he's not "crap". He wouldn't be starting for Belgium if he was.

To many are judging him purely on last season, though they won't admit it, and that is silly. When a player joins a team after the season starts they almost always have problems integrating into the team and showing their best. Just look at Evra-and-Vidic's first season, they were horrible. Plus you add to that he was dealing with two serious injuries, one that required mid-season surgery, it's no wonder he played poorly.
When someone like Vanden Borre has 26 Begium caps and Chadli 23, one can't attach a lot of credence to this particular argument.

Also Massive incredible difference. They were both signed in January from Russia and France. There was a seismic shift in their professional and personal lives and even then they acclimatized fully in 6 months and later helped United win the league, reach the finals of the FA Cup and the semi-finals in Europe. :

"I learn to make more sacrifices," he explained to AFP. "When I left Monaco, the first six months in Manchester were very difficult.

"It's difficult for my wife and my son. When there's no training and no match, then we watch a DVD under a warm blanket.

"It's always raining and the food is catastrophic."

"If you're not physically strong, you can't play in England," he reiterated. "I didn't understand that when I arrived.

"I came with my technical ability but, in England, first of all you have to be strong. Then you can play football.
“I am happy now and getting better with every game.

“It was not easy for me in those first matches. I did not feel good. It was a new country and the first two months were very difficult for me.

“I am working hard and I will be a better player next season.”

“The league is quick and physical and you have to adapt but this is a good chance for me in England.”

The last lines sums up the basic difference between Marouanne and those two. They had the requisite technical qualities but struggled on the field because of the rapidity and physicality of the Premier League and off the field getting used to live in England. Fellaini meanwhile has been in the league for over half a decade and moved just 30 miles from Liverpool. He has struggled because he's just not a United level player and at almost 27 is incapable of change. There is absolutely no comparison between them. Those two are among the greatest players of the modern era.

Kyonn

When someone like Vanden Borre has 26 Begium caps and Chadli 23, one can't attach a lot of credence to this particular argument.

Also Massive incredible difference. They were both signed in January from Russia and France. There was a seismic shift in their professional and personal lives and even then they acclimatized fully in 6 months and later helped United win the league, reach the finals of the FA Cup and the semi-finals in Europe. :
He still joined the team after the start of the season, no it might not have been a hard of a transition as for those two but its still an issue.

Plus he had to deal with not one but two serious injuries. How can any player who joins a team after the season starts and then has mid-season surgery and a nagging back injury possible be expected to play at his best?

Last edited:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He still joined the team after the start of the season, no it might not have been a hard of a transition as for the\ose two but its still an issue.

Plus he had to deal with not one but two serious injuries. How can any player who joins a team after the season starts and then has mid-season surgery and a nagging back injury possible be expected to play at his best?
Nuh uh. Not buying that excuse. Look at some players that moved in the same window and performed at a much higher level whenever they played :

Thiago Alcantara : Tore the ligaments on his knee and was out for several months. On his return was one of Bayern's Top 3 players.
Gareth Bale : Suffered from back and thigh injury problems. Still managed to score over 20 goals including the CL and Copa del Rey final in his first season.
Dejan Lovren : Tore his ankle ligaments but still performed at a high level whenever fit and was one of the League's best defenders.

These are just 3 examples among many others. Marouane was fundamentally out of his depth and is just such a poor footballer. Here are some fun facts from last season :

Whenever Fellaini attempted to tackle in the Premier League this past, there was a 56 percent chance of him either fouling the opposing player or missing his tackle.

For a player supposed to work as a CM, he lost 37 of 68 tackles, created just 5 chances all season long (poor old Darren Fletcher made 7 in much lesser playing time) and for 194 cm won just 51 % of his total headers (beaten out by Lahm being the highlight but that was Europe).

Scoring goals was supposed to be Marouane's forte - but his shooting accuracy was barely 40 % with 0 goals from 25 attempts and 0 assists for United.

In Europe, he conceded 4.7 free-kicks per game despite making an average of only 2 per game and winning only 33%.

There are many many other damning stats apart from the sheer displeasure of watching him don the United shirt. He didn't create anything, wasn't effective as a CM or a DM, didn't score, was outdone by smaller players. What exactly is the purpose of persisting with such a player ?

Kyonn

Nuh uh. Not buying that excuse. Look at some players that moved in the same window and performed at a much higher level whenever they played :

Thiago Alcantara : Tore the ligaments on his knee and was out for several months. On his return was one of Bayern's Top 3 players.
Gareth Bale : Suffered from back and thigh injury problems. Still managed to score over 20 goals including the CL and Copa del Rey final in his first season.
Dejan Lovren : Tore his ankle ligaments but still performed at a high level whenever fit and was one of the League's best defenders.

These are just 3 examples among many others. Marouane was fundamentally out of his depth and is just such a poor footballer. Here are some fun facts from last season :

Whenever Fellaini attempted to tackle in the Premier League this past, there was a 56 percent chance of him either fouling the opposing player or missing his tackle.

For a player supposed to work as a CM, he lost 37 of 68 tackles, created just 5 chances all season long (poor old Darren Fletcher made 7 in much lesser playing time) and for 194 cm won just 51 % of his total headers (beaten out by Lahm being the highlight but that was Europe).

Scoring goals was supposed to be Marouane's forte - but his shooting accuracy was barely 40 % with 0 goals from 25 attempts and 0 assists for United.

In Europe, he conceded 4.7 free-kicks per game despite making an average of only 2 per game and winning only 33%.

There are many many other damning stats apart from the sheer displeasure of watching him don the United shirt. He didn't create anything, wasn't effective as a CM or a DM, didn't score, was outdone by smaller players. What exactly is the purpose of persisting with such a player ?

Well just have to agree to disagree and see how this season goes.

Red Phoenix Rising

These are just 3 examples among many others. Marouane was fundamentally out of his depth and is just such a poor footballer.
What a completely bizarre argument. Injuries effected other players differently from player to player, case to case and you're not buying that 'excuse'. It is what it is, he had a couple of injuries to deal with and battled with them as best he could. What a weird thing to argue in any case.

Here are some fun facts from last season :
However when completing his 50/50 chance it resulted in an 82% success. Focus on the negative.
For a player supposed to work as a CM, he lost 37 of 68 tackles.
Also incorrect as he engaged in 57 challenges and won 48 making his total tackles won per appearance 2.82 the highest in the United midfield, compared to Carrick the other 'experienced', 'main defensive midfielder' in nearly double the starts only achieving 2.0 at 72%. In his role his game wasn't mainly to break up play, it was to get back and challenge, dish off and get forward for the buildup, again, focus on the negative.
It's never been his forte. He scored a credible amount of goals for a single season in an advanced role after featuring mainly as a ball winning midfielder for the majority of his career. One thing that this selective stat quoting and short memory syndrome seems to highlight.
First time European jitters is par for the course and generally continental referees are harsh on 50/50 challenges. So harsh it has become a thing, the 'continental yellow card'. It doesn't surprise me that foul quota is through the roof in Europe and in general it doesn't surprise me that his foul count is high in general. I wasn't genuinely sitting there thinking he is a fouling machine and only good for fouls.
There are also a few good ones. The tackling one in particular shows the promise of pre 12/13 Fellaini. That said, it must be a miserable affair for you to watch football - which makes me wonder why you and some others would bother in the first place. Constantly seeing the negative and having to vent your frustration over it.

I'll never get it - but I am happy that the one Everton fan here thinks that he was rated more than as a 'number 10 to kick lumps up to' in the past and has it in his kitbag. We'd all love to see it, but I bet only some would appreciate it.

jason93

This thread really does go round in circles. Can't wait to see the meltdown when he doesn't get sold. (From a Fellaini fan.)

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
What a completely bizarre argument. Injuries effected other players differently from player to player, case to case and you're not buying that 'excuse'. It is what it is, he had a couple of injuries to deal with and battled with them as best he could. What a weird thing to argue in any case.

However when completing his 50/50 chance it resulted in an 82% success. Focus on the negative.

Also incorrect as he engaged in 57 challenges and won 48 making his total tackles won per appearance 2.82 the highest in the United midfield, compared to Carrick the other 'experienced', 'main defensive midfielder' in nearly double the starts only achieving 2.0 at 72%. In his role his game wasn't mainly to break up play, it was to get back and challenge, dish off and get forward for the buildup, again, focus on the negative.

It's never been his forte. He scored a credible amount of goals for a single season in an advanced role after featuring mainly as a ball winning midfielder for the majority of his career. One thing that this selective stat quoting and short memory syndrome seems to highlight.

First time European jitters is par for the course and generally continental referees are harsh on 50/50 challenges. So harsh it has become a thing, the 'continental yellow card'. It doesn't surprise me that foul quota is through the roof in Europe and in general it doesn't surprise me that his foul count is high in general. I wasn't genuinely sitting there thinking he is a fouling machine and only good for fouls.

There are also a few good ones. The tackling one in particular shows the promise of pre 12/13 Fellaini. That said, it must be a miserable affair for you to watch football - which makes me wonder why you and some others would bother in the first place. Constantly seeing the negative and having to vent your frustration over it.

I'll never get it - but I am happy that the one Everton fan here thinks that he was rated more than as a 'number 10 to kick lumps up to' in the past and has it in his kitbag. We'd all love to see it, but I bet only some would appreciate it.
1. I don't even... What's bizzare is the barrage of excuses afforded to Marouane. "as best as he could" ? This is a professional sport and there should be no room for vague notions. By the same measure we could say Anderson is trying not to be obese "as best as he can". Does that accomplish anything ? What concerns me are Fellaini's on the field performances and they have been particularly horrid.

2. Why should we faff about with a subsection of overall tackles ? Is it some some sort of accomplishment ? And please from the next time check the stats before posting.

In 2013/ 2014 for United Fellaini won 50.46% 50-50 tackles.

Fun trivia time : There were 46 midfielders who were statistically more effective at winning 50-50 ground contests than Marouane and the league average was 51.5% for players to have participated in 10 games.

Just for comparison :

Michael Carrick (62.8%)
Tom Cleverley (51.8%)

And for lulz let's also include some tiny offensive minded players :

Juan Mata (52.5%)
Eden Hazard (53.6%)
Coutinho (52.3%)

3. Are you for real ? :lol:

Where do you get these bogus stats ? Can I get in ?

Is tackles per appearance some some of barometer for great midfield play ? Because two of the very best defensive midfielders around : Javi Martinez and De Rossi were lower than Fellaini. There's a difference between volume of tackling and effectiveness. Conceding 2.1 fouls per 2.8 tackle is hardly indicative of perception and awareness.

As for the digs at Carrick I'll disregard that. The man has been our fulcrum for the best part of a decade and I refuse to compare him to a nincompoop. But anyway using 90 min metrics :

4. What exactly is his forte ? Pray do enlighten us ? As for the assertion that he's box to box - the effectiveness is highly dysfunctional for a player who's cumbersome and slows down the tempo with 3 touches instead of one and doesn't have the vision to execute swift counterattacks. The only think he offers is a 194 cm frame and superior volume.

5. Don't care about the jitters. 99 % good players with years of national team experience take to European football like a duck to water. Problem is Fellaini doesn't qualify as good. ;)

6. Getting personal are we. Ok TBF this statement is hot garbage. Because I'm amused by the clown, his moronic antics are a great source of mirth for me. Dude is an accident waiting to happen. What doesn't sit right with me is that he affects the aesthetics and performances of the team I support. Much rather he was oppo.

7. I doubt any United fan brought up with the slick football of Giggs and Scholes and Ronaldo and Cantona would appreciate watching route 1, lump it to the humongous fella's chest/ beehive brand of football.

Anyway I'm done posting the same things in a perpetual loop. /End.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This thread really does go round in circles. Can't wait to see the meltdown when he doesn't get sold. (From a Fellaini fan.)
Out of curiosity, why are you a fellaini fan? He's not a nice player, easy on the eye to watch, he's not a fancy player or anything like that. He came with a huge fee and is actually quite a dirty player, always looks clumsy on and off the ball, and during his time here, he's been on the whole a bit shit. Not to mention the ridiculous fro he has. I just can't see why someone would be a fellaini fan specifically.

jason93

Who cares what type of football we play as long as we WIN? I happen to think watching Fellaini bang them in with his head is very entertaining to watch. I hope he starts doing it for us.

You guys are too worked up about looking pretty. We want to win matches. If (hypothetically) Fellaini in the number 10 is more effective than Mata or Kagawa, then why do you care as long as it works? Not everything is about what YOU want.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Who cares what type of football we play as long as we WIN? I happen to think watching Fellaini bang them in with his head is very entertaining to watch. I hope he starts doing it for us.

You guys are too worked up about looking pretty. We want to win matches. If (hypothetically) Fellaini in the number 10 is more effective than Mata or Kagawa, then why do you care as long as it works? Not everything is about what YOU want.
:confused:

United is a special club because it has a tradition of always playing attractive football in the right spirit, from way back and Sir Matt's time. Talk about Best and Charlton and Robson and Cantona and Giggs and Scholes and Ronaldo and Rooney - none of them were technically deficient hoof merchants. We don't support United because it wins. I'd rather see us play beautiful counter-attacking football and lose than win by pumping rockets for Fellana.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I've learnt long ago that a substantial number of United fans do love players who aren't very good in football. Maybe MUTV takes that to extremes when they call the likes of Higginbotham and Fortune as 'legends' but many of us do like players like OShea and Philip Neville and are ready to close an eye or two when their limits are exposed even in crucial games.

Stating that there's a massive difference between the likes of Fellaini and lets say Philip Neville. First of all Philip Neville understood his limitations well and was able to work within those restrictions proving to be a sort of asset to the club. We all know what P Nev used to offer to us. He was a genuine guy whose pretty versatile and who always give his 100%. If you ask him to mark a player then rest assured that that player will pass one hell of a horrid hour as Philip would be harassing him throughout the game. Fellaini may have the same spirit but he simply lack the pace to do that and once frustrated his nasty streak would kick in which is bad trouble for both opponents and us. Secondly its a matter of salary. I am sure that neither P Nev nor OShea were ever paid as first team regulars. However Fellaini was brought in as a panic buy (end of the transfer market) and with the thought of being a crucial part of the team (no one spends 27m on a reserve).

Football has been changing for quite some time and players like Fellaini (physically strong midfielder, whose good in air and is weak in terms of passing, vision and first touch) are finding it impossible to break into top clubs. Look around us. Name one big club whose got a player similar to Fellaini?

jason93

Out of curiosity, why are you a fellaini fan? He's not a nice player, easy on the eye to watch, he's not a fancy player or anything like that. He came with a huge fee and is actually quite a dirty player, always looks clumsy on and off the ball, and during his time here, he's been on the whole a bit shit. Not to mention the ridiculous fro he has. I just can't see why someone would be a fellaini fan specifically.
What does his afro have to do with anything? :lol: Starting to seriously think some people purely hate him because of his hair now. I noticed a strange disliking to people with afros. Fellaini, David Luiz, Witsel to name a few. All good players IMO but yeah. Strange.

Moving on, I liked him at Everton and always wanted to see him here. Even when Ferguson was here. I always knew he would be a United player based on how well he did against us alone. He has an aura about him, I geniunely think he can become a destroyer type for us in time. People can't judge him off one terrible season under Moyes. So much was wrong last season. The manager was way out of his depth, the team wasn't performing and Fellaini himself was nagged with injuries. He even required surgery a while back but people seem to overlook these things and narrow-mindedly shout "Sell him!" just because Moyes took him from Everton. They would rather see us lose profit in the transfer window, than see themselves lose dignity and be proven wrong.

As for why I like him, he's strong, tall, has a good header on him and can become a destroyer like I said. He's the type of player who will pop up and score a goal out of nowhere. We can play good football with Fellaini on the pitch. To say otherwise would be nonsense.

devilish

United is a special club because it has a tradition of always playing attractive football in the right spirit, from way back and Sir Matt's time. Talk about Best and Charlton and Robson and Cantona and Giggs and Scholes and Ronaldo and Rooney - none of them were technically deficient hoof merchant. We don't support United because it wins. I'd rather see us play beautiful counter-attacking football and lose than win by pumping rockets for Fellana.
He's right though. Who cares what style of play he plays as long as we win? Bigon used the catenacchio which was even more boring then Everton under Moyes but he still won the world cup.

What I disagree with is the efficiency thing. Time and time again, top honors are being won by clubs who promote technically good football. If hoof ball was successful then rest assured that everyone would be playing it and the likes of Moyes, Big Sam, Hodgson/Gaz will be leading Real, Barcelona and Bayern

jason93

United is a special club because it has a tradition of always playing attractive football in the right spirit, from way back and Sir Matt's time. Talk about Best and Charlton and Robson and Cantona and Giggs and Scholes and Ronaldo and Rooney - none of them were technically deficient hoof merchants. We don't support United because it wins. I'd rather see us play beautiful counter-attacking football and lose than win by pumping rockets for Fellana.
You have a very strange mindset then. I'm a United fan and I want to see us win. Football isn't all about entertainment. It's about winning first and foremost.

You're telling me if Fellaini played #10 and banged in 10-15 goals and won us loads of matches, you would be complaining?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He's right though. Who cares what style of play he plays as long as we win? Bigon used the catenacchio which was even more boring then Everton under Moyes but he still won the world cup.

What I disagree with is the efficiency thing. Time and time again, top honors are being won by clubs who promote technically good football. If hoof ball was successful then rest assured that everyone would be playing it and the likes of Moyes, Big Sam, Hodgson/Gaz will be leading Real, Barcelona and Bayern
TBF I'd be reasonably okay with a more agricultural brand of football. But only as a desperate last resort roll of the dice. Not our major gameplan like some would have just to accommodate Marouane. That's why I can't envision a regular first team spot for him. And if that isn't the case might as well get rid, encash the 10-15 million we'd get now and clear up the 6 million per annum wages. Instead let his value progressively deteriorate until he becomes an unsellable like Anderson.

bosnian_red

You have a very strange mindset then. I'm a United fan and I want to see us win. Football isn't all about entertainment. It's about winning first and foremost.

You're telling me if Fellaini played #10 and banged in 10-15 goals and won us loads of matches, you would be complaining?
We're supporters, football is about entertainment for us. Not for the club as it's a business for them. And yes, I would complain, because we have mata and Rooney who can score 20+ goals a season as a #10, along with playing the type of football fellaini can only dream of.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Kettle. Black. Something.

Feck yeah I would complain. When we have better No. 10's that are more clinical, creative, decisive and play magnificent football and can win us more matches than Marouane ever will.

Please stop using lame arguments about how he'll score loads and "win us matches" when both our #10s can score much more on a consistent basis.

jason93

We're supporters, football is about entertainment for us. Not for the club as it's a business for them. And yes, I would complain, because we have mata and Rooney who can score 20+ goals a season as a #10, along with playing the type of football fellaini can only dream of.
Mata would never reach that amount in goals.... and I'm his biggest fan.

I'm a supporter and I want to see us win. Who cares if we're playing tiki taka if we're still sitting at 7th? :confused:

dirkey

I'd say you have the strange mindset. Win at all costs is not a mindset I would say is typical of most United fans. United fans strongly value entertainment and good football.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Mata would never reach that amount in goals.... and I'm his biggest fan.

I'm a supporter and I want to see us win. Who cares if we're playing tiki taka if we're still sitting at 7th? :confused:
You do talk some shite lad :

Mata in the past 3 seasons : 42 goals and 55 assists.
Fellaini in the past 3 seasons : 19 goals and 13 assists.

To the second point, we didn't play tiki-taka last season. We played Fellaini-ball with long punts. And look where that got us.

Seriously I'm confused with your assertions. It's as if United has always been a mid-table team and Messiah Fellaini's chest/ fro powered goals will lift us to being treble winners. When infact we were doing just fine until he came along.

jason93

I'd say you have the strange mindset. Win at all costs is not a mindset I would say is typical of most United fans. United fans strongly value entertainment and good football.
'Most' United fans were applauding David Moyes last season aswell...

bosnian_red

That's not 20 goals a season...
That is 20 goals the season before last though. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of assists he gets. There is absolutely no benefit to playing fellaini as a #10, unless we hoof the ball, which we won't, because we're man united. It you want to watch teams hoof it, watch west ham or stoke. United won't play like that.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That's not 20 goals a season...
Of course it's not. He was dropped for half of last season and Chelsea and then played out wide for the majority of our matches. His last complete season as a #10 (2012/ 2013) resulted in 21 goals and 28 assists.

Red Phoenix Rising

name and shame (midfielders)
Jonjo Shelvey.
Anita from Newcastle.
Ashley Westwood and Ciaran Clark at Villa.
Stephen Ireland and N'Zonzi (who arguably is of a similar mould and could probably do a bit of a like for like job).

There is heaps of sub par central/defensive midfielders in the league.

edit: Misread the original question.

Last edited:

devilish

Jonjo Shelvey.
Anita from Newcastle.
Ashley Westwood and Ciaran Clark at Villa.
Stephen Ireland and N'Zonzi (who arguably is of a similar mould and could probably do a bit of a like for like job).

There is heaps of sub par central/defensive midfielders in the league.
I never thought Newcastle, Swansea and Villa are top clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.