Marouane Fellaini gets 12 month contract extension clause triggered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Sensible decision. It's better to trigger the extension than lose him on a free in the summer from a financial point of view. Like others have said, he still has value in the market and we could easily get at least 10 million for him before the start of next season.

NoPace

My feeling is that Mourinho likes him and we might just keep him, sell Schweinsteiger and sign a DM to be first choice and maybe Fellaini and hopefully Pereira will be the backups for Pogba and Herrera, with Fellaini and Herrera also options as the DM but mainly with us playing more 4231 in easier games, especially if we sign Griezmann and have all 4 of him Mata, Martial and Mkhitaryan meriting playing time behind the one striker being Ibra or Rashford.

Personally, I'd sell Fellaini, make Blind the backup DM as well as LB and buy a proper CM who's more aware defensively and can pass and turn, but I can see the case for this, especially since Fellaini appears happy to be a backup, can be an aerial threat late in game against packed defences and covers a lot of ground.

Ashley R1+O

Earned it. Solid backup player with the abilty to stand in due to injury in multiple positions, great mentality and not a high earner. Solid business from the club.

Spotkick

Jose is a clever man..if he would give him an extension of three years it most likely wouldn't do him any good with the fans. This way Felaini is happy and the fans stil think he could be gone by next summer

prath92

It's a myth that we played hoofball in LvG s first season anyway. Maybe last few minutes of a game if we need a goal (even pep and Klopp do that). Other than that, we didn't play that way as a strategy as far as I remember.

He's an acceptable squad player and we need those. Not many of his ability are content to sit on the bench every week just to be at this club. He's obviously got the right mentality too, no matter how much stick he gets he keeps coming back and giving consistent performances.

We'll hold on to him for as long as it takes us to find someone better.

Loublaze

ATLien
This donkey is going to get a testimonial isn't he? The shit that won't flush. Sorry i'll never rate this guy

fallengt

The manager bought Fellaini got sacked, the manager who decided to trust Fellaini for two 2 seasons straight got sacked . Now Mourinho demoted him from 1st team starter to 15 minutes cameo player

We all can see the pattern here, stop pretending like this man really add anything to our team. Fellaini can be a squad player for all I care but United defenitely need to look for better quality.

itso 7

I think he is gash.. But who am I. Three managers have kept faith in him and stuck with him even if he is shit.. There must be something there.
Well look at what happened to the previous two managers, at least this one is smart enough to put Herrera above him in the pecking order.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How can people be against him signing a new contract?

His current one was due to run out in less than 6 months time. A new contract doesn't mean he won't be sold, at least it means we can recieve a substantial fee for him should we decide to.
This is easy.

Because not extending his contract meant he DEFINITELY won't be here in the summer.

It says something when even with 6 months on his contract left nobody else wants him.

In Uniteds position I would have paid him off already and got rid.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Smart move in my opinion. No he isn't the clubs first choice midfielder, but you need players outside of that to fill out the squad. While not everyone's cup of tea, he does bring something very different to the team. So having that as an option still in the squad for another 12 months, along with knowing his strengths and weaknesses as a squad player already, is far better than letting him going for free and attempting to bring in a brand new squad player. We should be saving the purchasing money for strengthening the first team, and keep hold of the squad filling players we have, not buying new squad fillers who are likely to complain and disrupt the team if they are not played.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We should keep him around in the hope that one day it will be: Useless tree 1 Gerrard 0

AgentP

He is a good option to have on the bench. Same as Rooney. As long as they are squad players who fill in whenever our main players are out, I'm fine with it. We could still end up selling him in the summer when we sign new players.

izec

Only thing that would save us is if a Chinese club throws money at him and United in the summer. Please Shanghai Shenhua, help us.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
As the ultimate panic buy, it's amazing how long he's lasted.

cvonm

Ed has a big United official shampoo partner incoming, needed a model for the ad.

binary bot
The value argument doesn't stand when no club is going to pay to take him while satisfying his wage demands. The clubs with money aren't after such a limited player.

It's clearly a dynamic thing, and Mourinho enjoys having that option. I just hope he doesn't see much gametime outside of a scenario similar to Tuesday.

iKeano

Worst signing since Moyes bought the lanky turd.

If his goal per game ratio is anything to go by he won't score again for Utd anyway.

Hopefully this is just business so Moyes has to overpay again to buy back this lingering lift-fart in the summer and we can go about forgetting this sorry affair ever happened.

Please and thanks.

iKeano

The value argument doesn't stand when no club is going to pay to take him while satisfying his wage demands. The clubs with money aren't after such a limited player.

It's clearly a dynamic thing, and Mourinho enjoys having that option. I just hope he doesn't see much gametime outside of a scenario similar to Tuesday.

I dread seeing him start on Sunday....

lsd

The Oracle
Some very deluded posters if they really think Fellaini will be sold this summer or next even.

Jose likes him the players like him he does a job for us that few can . He gives everything when plays which is more than some players loved here on the cafe can say

There's not a hope he is going to be sold so why hate one of or own?

Roll on the testimonal

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I feel like I'm one of the very very few on this forum that is happy to see him extend his contract.

Quizierda

I have never rated him as a player tbh - he was good for Everton but I have never been convinced that he would be good enough for United.

However, it would have been stupid to let him go on a free. He's cost as a lot of money and we have got only a little back so far (from his performances) so this extension secures some of his value for now.

Mou seems to have his plans with him so let's see how this will work out. If he proves himself unable to achieve what Mou expects we may get a decent fee after all.

GBBQ

Mou clearly sees him as a plan c of sorts, someone to bring on in the last 15-20 mins when we're getting frustrated by teams parking the bus. From that perspective he is more useful to the team than Schneiderlin or BFS ever were (although it doesn't mean he's a better player).

The goal, the fans reaction and now the contract extension will give him a boost but I suspect he'll be sold in the summer.

Robertd0803

Its the club triggering an extension not a brand new shiny contract being offered to him like Nani and Rooney got. Means we get some money for him in the summer if he does go. Unless we bring in 2 midfielders in the summer I can only see Bastian leaving so wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Fellaini seeing out his contract.

Alabaster Codify7

Indifferent to this news. If he stays on as an expensive squad player, fair enough. If we sell him in the summer (I reckon we will), we'll get better bang for our buck.

Luke Parker

Yeah, best just let him leave on a free transfer at the end of the season. Who needs money anyway.
OR the alternative being that nobody buys him. Then we are paying him for another year to the tune of £80,000 a week. United don't then want to offer a fresh contract and he leaves on a free in 2018. Who needs money anyway?

Sarcasm is easy clever clogs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is our Arbeloa, everyone see what he is and no one really wants to admit it. Hopefully Mourinho doesn't send our version of Carvajal to Schalke.

Dante

Average bang
Fellaini's eulogy gets written at the end of every season.

Apparently, he wasn't an LvG type player. Oh, wait... Well, he's definitely not a Mourinho type player. Oh, wait... There's no way he'll get onto the field for Belgium. Oh, wait...

Fellaini gets used on a regular basis and he provides a function that Mourinho loves. The manager loves to bring on a big man at the end of games... Fellaini, Smalling, Bailly have all been used that way at some point, but Fellaini is the only one who keeps getting minutes in that role.

If you're desperate to believe this contract is a prelude to Fellaini getting sold, fair enough. It's not, though.

WayneShears

Fellani is not my type of player and I was not happy with the choice to buy him but he has popped up more than once we essential goals as well as blocks at end of games when he does vital areial work in the box. Is he clumsy? Yes. Does he make mistakes? Yes.

However he has done a job he has earned an extension in the manager eyes and he is used regularly to see out games. He is not a bad squad player to have and has proven valuable at times and will continue to do so. Ultimately we are Manchester United fans and every time he pulls that shirt on we should cheer for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.