Martial | Di Marzio thinks he will stay

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I love Martial and I do think he'll be a great player one day, but we need quicker results. It just doesn't seem to be working between him and Mourinho and I can't imagine the latter leaving any time soon.

I'd like him to stay, but I wouldn't be devastated IF we get a good replacement in. Relying on Rashford and Sanchez, based on recent form, isn't enough.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sanchez is playing like trash, Pogba isn't playing well, in-fact hardly anyone in the side is playing particularly well, yet we think Martial is the problem :rolleyes:

cyberman

This is hilarious. When those players were 21 years old where were they and what had they achieved?
Too many posters are blinded by age on here.
Many, many players best moments of their career happen in their early twenties only to disappear.
Stoke went down because they made it their mission to sign all of them!

Kag

Here's hoping he stays. His numbers are very good and it's eye-wateringly obvious how good he will be if played regularly in an attacking side. Here's hoping it's at United.

Schneckerl

Here's hoping he stays. His numbers are very good and it's eye-wateringly obvious how good he will be if played regularly in an attacking side. Here's hoping it's at United.
Yeah his goals and chances created per minute are similar to Sane, Sterling, Mane despite playing on an extremely stat unfriendly team.

Can't believe he'll be gone.

Gbenger

Too many posters are blinded by age on here.
Many, many players best moments of their career happen in their early twenties only to disappear.
Stoke went down because they made it their mission to sign all of them!
What does Stoke relegation have to do with this? You pontificate a lot without making much sense. Exceptions to a rule cannot justify your statements.

That poster asked you a simple question because you said Martial could not lace their boots. What did Salah or De Bruyne do under Mourinho that proved they would later become great players? They did not do much and they were even older than Martial at the time.

Martial (being younger) has already proven far more than them. If anything, all evidence points to the fact that Martial would do great after he gets away from Jose.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Jose's preference of Rashford over Martial proves his overvaluing of workrate.

I'm so sure that Martial would have made more of the centre forward starts that Rashford has had this season.

Alabaster Codify7

Martial wasnt bad yesterday, when he came on - he was at least trying to make something happen. He's gone though, I reckon.

ash_86

We've already tried replacing him with Sanchez and we've been worse off. People should be careful what they wish for, especially when wanting us to discard our most talented and productive attackers and with our transfer-record on top of that.
Sanchez has been quite good , so i effectively consider Martial replaced well. All that is left is to sell him to fund money for right winger

I wonder what, or who, happened between the first and the third seasons.
Even if he'd been managed by Moyes level manager, i'd expect him to show much more than what he's showing right now after his 3rd season in the league.

snk123

Even if he'd been managed by Moyes level manager, i'd expect him to show much more than what he's showing right now after his 3rd season in the league.
And what do you expect him to show in 18 minutes?

JohnnyLaw

Sanchez has been quite good , so i effectively consider Martial replaced well. All that is left is to sell him to fund money for right winger
If you genuinely feel that Sanchez has been good for us then I'd say your standards are very low.

Silas

Feck me. At what? A good half against City and game against Spurs must be clouding your judgement.

lex talionis

Sanchez has been a massive disappointment for me. I appreciate his high workrate, but his effectiveness in chance creation and scoring has been minimal.

Amir

I'd also expect much more from any of our attacking players. The younger ones, the older ones, the ones brought from abroad, the ones brought from the Premier League. Which means we either buy terribly or have a problem with the manager.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Not easy coming on as sub, but he had opportunity to show something and gave absolutely nothing. Ran at the Chelsea back line and often ran straight into a player or gave it away. Final ball was dreadful every time (apart from the corner which Pogba should have scored from).

Asking him to set the game alight in 18 minutes is difficult I agree, but yesterday’s showing was rubbish, it surely can’t be disputed.

Shows no passion, drive or will to win, I’m not overly concerned if he goes, feels like Memphis v2.

Silas

Disappointing to see that Scholes has joined Martial FC.

izec

It is written in the stars that he will be a top player in the future, too good not to be and another one in the Jose sold him list that will turn out to be great. (Jose will obviously talk some bollocks about him not selling him or whatever excuse he will come up with as usual)

sal klita

I love Martial and I do think he'll be a great player one day, but we need quicker results. It just doesn't seem to be working between him and Mourinho and I can't imagine the latter leaving any time soon.

I'd like him to stay, but I wouldn't be devastated IF we get a good replacement in. Relying on Rashford and Sanchez, based on recent form, isn't enough.
Martial is the player that symbolizing why the club should appoint DOF. The whole dealing with him is ridiculous. The club made all efforts to make him fail here. It's in opposition to the traditions. Bad times or good times the club always was capable to develop huge young talents and it should be one of the requirements from manager. Of course not just young player because he young.

Mourinho have one of the worst records in dealing with young players, even at his peak. Only worst board in any top club can prefer Mourinho.

Seveneric

What's 'disappointing' about it, it's not like it's a bizarre opinion that's not held by half the people in this thread

Or should he have pretended to be apathetic towards the idea of Martial leaving to spare Mourinho's feelings.

cyberman

What does Stoke relegation have to do with this? You pontificate a lot without making much sense. Exceptions to a rule cannot justify your statements.

That poster asked you a simple question because you said Martial could not lace their boots. What did Salah or De Bruyne do under Mourinho that proved they would later become great players? They did not do much and they were even older than Martial at the time.

Martial (being younger) has already proven far more than them. If anything, all evidence points to the fact that Martial would do great after he gets away from Jose.
What did Martial do at 18 compared to Rashford?
Ooooooooooohhhhhhh....
See how stupid it gets?
Pogbas career at 24 shits all over Zidane at 24...
The only link Martial has to Salah and KDB is Mourinho. That's it.
It's a nothing comparison. Laughable really

ash_86

He has a season and half head start ahead of Sanchez when Mourinho came in. That is enough time to prove I believe

If you genuinely feel that Sanchez has been good for us then I'd say your standards are very low.
Feck me. At what? A good half against City and game against Spurs must be clouding your judgement.
You're willing to defend martial whos been here for what 3 seasons now with a guy that played half a season with us and produced comebacks in one of the toughest ground where no one has won this season and another good one against spurs . Sanchez brings lot more to the table than Martial at this moment and he is proven big game player If we ever want to catch city, we need more players with such ambition and drive. Wait until he gets used to our system and then we'll see how good he is.

Silas

I should've added some whitetext.

@ash_86 What system is there to get used to? There aren't any attacking patterns for him to familiarise himself with. Again, it's just two games that you're using to justify him being 'good'. Do the rest not matter? 18 appearances with 2 goals and 4 assists is good now? For the most part, the only thing he's brought to the table is workrate. What's your excuse for him being subpar this season, before he joined? Surely he was used to the attacking patterns at Arsenal?

ash_86

@ash_86 What system is there to get used to? There aren't any attacking patterns for him to familiarise himself with. Again, it's just two games that you're using to justify him being 'good'. Do the rest not matter? 18 appearances with 2 goals and 4 assists is good now? For the most part, the only thing he's brought to the table is workrate. What's your excuse for him being subpar this season, before he joined? Surely he was used to the attacking patterns at Arsenal?
More he plays, better he'll understand players around him. Again, this is a getting used to season for him . When things are not going great for him, work ethic is the best possible attribute to bring to the table. We all know he has quality and once he combines both, he'll start producing very good numbers.

He wanted out of the Sinking Arsenal team and was denied a deadline move and was benched for most games. Not sure what he could do about it .

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sanchez is probably our worst player this season. Works hard, runs a lot, but extremely low productivity and plays like a headless chicken at times.

Silas

More he plays, better he'll understand players around him. Again, this is a getting used to season for him . When things are not going great for him, work ethic is the best possible attribute to bring to the table. We all know he has quality and once he combines both, he'll start producing very good numbers.

He wanted out of the Sinking Arsenal team and was denied a deadline move and was benched for most games. Not sure what he could do about it .
Just sounds like a bunch of excuses. Individual errors can't excused by him not knowing his teammates. Either way, not saying he's a shit player, but he's been pretty bad for us so far and I can't see how that's debatable really. Next season is irrelevant to the original point anyway.

He wasn't reduced to some sort of benchwarmer before he moved either. He started 17 of the 19 league games he was available for at Arsenal. No clue where you got that from. Turn a blind eye to his performances this season if you want, but there's no way you can tell anyone he's been a good replacement for Martial thus far.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
Z
We've already tried replacing him with Sanchez and we've been worse off. People should be careful what they wish for, especially when wanting us to discard our most talented and productive attackers and with our transfer-record on top of that.

Neither could they themselves at 22 years of age, especially not under Mourinho. Zaha at 25 is finally starting to mature putting his talent into consistant performances and productivity, still can't match Martial though.
Hahahaha. Zaha has more consistent than him for 24 months now. And playing in a worse team.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan

Needs a preseason to start believing in his teammates. As simple as that. Do you remember how poor Vidic and Evra were without preseason. and Evra was playing regular football before for a team which reached the Champions league final in the previous year. Sanchez will improve and I am least worried about that. It's not like his legs are gone or something, his physical attributes are the same it is the problem of form and non-familiarity between his teammates, the world cup he br would help him a lot.

Talking about Martial, he hasn't shown much intent to fight for his place after we have signed Sanchez. You can say what you want but Jose sees Martial everyday in training, you don't. He won't pick players just cuz he doesn't like them and hamper the team. He picks players he can trust and unfortunately he just doesn't trust Martial enough. I am not saying we should sell him but if he is sold, I won't be too annoyed. Hope we sell him with a buyback or first refusal.

Last edited:

JohnnyLaw

Z
Hahahaha. Zaha has more consistent than him for 24 months now. And playing in a worse team.
Hahaha. Yeah it's a fecking riot.
Check the stats. He might play in a worse team but he plays every minute of every game with complete freedom.

Silas

Needs a preseason to start believing in his teammates. As simple as that. Do you remember how poor Vidic and Evra were without preseason. and Evra was playing regular football before for a team which reached the Champions league final in the previous year. Sanchez will improve and I am least worried about that. It's not like his legs are gone or something, his physical attributes are the same it is the problem of form and non-familiarity between his teammates, the world cup he br would help him a lot.
Evra and Vidic also had to get used to a new league, so it's not the same kind of situation. I obviously hope you're right about him becoming much better after a break, but I'm not holding my breath.

Talking about Martial, he hasn't shown much intent to fight for his place after we have signed Sanchez. You can say what you want but Jose sees Martial everyday in training, you don't.
He hasn't had much of a chance to since the Chelsea game. He was part of the starting lineup in the team that beat Chelsea (in a front two with Lukaku), along with Lukaku and Sanchez, but then he's mainly been making sub appearances since then. It's not as if Jose was going to ever bench Sanchez for him, or anyone really. Even after Rashford's shite perfomances lately, he was always preferred as a striker to Martial for whatever reason.

He won't pick players just cuz he doesn't like them and hamper the team. He picks players he can trust and unfortunately he just doesn't trust Martial enough. I am not saying we should sell him but if he is sold, I won't be too annoyed. Hope we sell him with a buyback or first refusal.
Yeah, it's obvious he just doesn't rate Martial's style. I personally don't think Jose's going to be around for much longer, so selling him because him and Jose aren't a good match, only for Jose to walk at the end of the season anyway is my worry.

talking robot

I don't think he will go. The fact that he's not going to the world cup and thus will get a full pre-season will be a positive from Mourinho's stand point. Secondly, if he goes, we'd have to replace him in order to maintain squad depth up front. I think the priority will be to focus on left and right back plus a midfield replacement for Carrick. Third, despite few minutes, his numbers have been very good this year. I think José sees the long term potential and will be wary of this being another Salah, Lukaku or De Bruyne type situation.

Mainoldo

I don't think he will go. The fact that he's not going to the world cup and thus will get a full pre-season will be a positive from Mourinho's stand point. Secondly, if he goes, we'd have to replace him in order to maintain squad depth up front. I think the priority will be to focus on left and right back plus a midfield replacement for Carrick. Third, despite few minutes, his numbers have been very good this year. I think José sees the long term potential and will be wary of this being another Salah, Lukaku or De Bruyne type situation.
Jose doesn’t care about long term potential. It was funny looking at the Chelsea v Liverpool game again and seeing Mo Salah virtually playing right back. Lol.

izec

He is as good as gone.

Sp00ks11

There is no patience with football fans these days, always after the shiny new signing, only to slate him a year down the line. Before Sanchez arrival martial was doing ok. When he first arrived and was played as a cf he also was doing fine, but constant chopping him in and out of the team, playing him on the left and then mourinho chucking him under the bus at every given opportunity has massively hindered his progress. As previously mentioned his goals/assists to mins are not that bad at all.

I hope he joins Tottenham and tears it up in the league, just to see the anti martial brigade turn into the 'why did we sell him' brigade. Memphis by the way isn't doing to badly albeit in an inferior league.. similar numbers to hazard in fact before he joined Chelsea from the same inferior league. :rolleyes:

I like entertaining and exciting football and Martial, along with Pogba even though they are both still very inconsistent are two of the only players who excite me when watching our tumescent football.

Le Red

There seems to be a pattern at MUFC where managers can't get the most out of the players available. Either our signings are bad, or our managers are not doing their jobs well in that aspect.
Martial is the kind of player that will move on and become really good somewhere else. It's hard to believe that we're going to sell one of the few players in the squad who can actually score goals.
Think about it. Pogba left, went on to Juventus and became hot property. Came back and is under scrutiny. When are people finally going to stop pretending that nothing is wrong with the club?

Ralph1386

Stop this nonsense about age. Messi was 17 and playing for Barcelona. Remember Ronaldo? He stayed late after every training session to train more. And that is why he is world class, one of the best.

Jose was not hired to babysit our players and has no time for that. You get paid obscene money, either perform, or move to another team. He is here to win trophies and will do whatever it takes to achieve that.
Ronaldo would not have developed the same if he was being coached by Mourinho as a youngster.

Mourinho would not have trusted him and would have sold him for an established player.

Ralph1386

It doesn't seem to be working between a lot of players and Mourinho these days.