Martial exit?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Biggest reason why I'd want him out is to do with mentality. I m very much understanding of the fact he s probably had a rough time on and off the pitch but when you want to win things then hanging your head and sulking so often just brings the entire team down. I ve kinda felt the same with DDG for many years before. You didn't feel like there was much fighting spirit in there after things didn't go their way.

He is still a very talented lad when fit and in form, but he is too unreliable for a club like this. I hope he does well wherever he goes next assuming we've seen the last of him.

Devil81

Problem is, he's 27 and may still feel he can play somewhere competitive.

If he were open to leaving then we should expect a good fee given his age and status as a striker for United.
If you believe Martial cares you must be crazy.

He gave up on his career ages ago, he's just picking up a pay cheque and has been for years.

This isn't a surprise really, I'd imagine United have offered him round the Saudi clubs, this was always going to be the opportunity to shut of him.

Glorio

As a fully paid up member of Martial FC, I’d advise his agents to seal any lucrative deal they can get, Saudi or otherwise because the stock in Martial Inc. is in the basement.
Fully agree from a member of the Martial FC exco. Promised so much but it appears injury proneness has taken it's toll. Even when he was fit towards the end of the season, you could tell he was scared of putting his body through any strain whatsoever - probably for good reason too.

Problem then is even on the pitch, his impact diminished - couldn't press hard, couldn't sprint, couldn't challenge. Not selling him because he's the only striker is flawed simply because we don't actually have him even when he's on our books. It's a false security

Glorio

He gave up on his career ages ago, he's just picking up a pay cheque and has been for years.

This isn't a surprise really, I'd imagine United have offered him round the Saudi clubs, this was always going to be the opportunity to shut of him.
This stance is the issue with the world today - "if you believe something different from me, you must be crazy". It's a hot take considering none of us knows what's going on in Martial's head, we can only deduce.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

You're just assuming things here. Hes clearly struggled with injuries massively. To insinuate all he cares for is a paycheck is just lazy presumption.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hopefully the source is reliable and he goes. Not that I don't rate him, I rate him highly. He is sort of CF we need if fully healthy but looks like he is injury prone player now and it's near impossible to rely on him.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Would love to shift him, especially if we could get a good fee.

We would need to buy 2 strikers this window though, otherwise it's probably not worth the risk.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wish there were more players with his hold up play.

Keanes Magic Hat

What a leap, the chaps had relentless injuries he obviously lacks confidence in his body, to jump to he doesn't care is crazy.

Giggsyking

I don't believe that Saudi will buy him. He isn't fit and hardly available, why any club buys him? Cheerleader on the bench or stand. It won't happen until he start playing and having impact. Even if that happen, it will be next season.
They bought Kante.

Giggsyking

So one tweet in this thread and its deleted, any sources actually saying this is true? I don't want to get my hopes up.
The source is very good. But if they deleted the tweet, this is bad news for us.

davidmichael

Does it say anything about a potential fee ? To be honest we barely get 10 games a season for Martial so I’d be happy for him to go then take Felix on loan from Atletico for a season and still being in Hojlund which leaves us quite strong up top especially if Greenwood DOES come back in the next couple of weeks.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Can’t put into words how happy I’d be to see the back of this waste of space.

doomy20

I prefer selling him but not now. We don’t have any striker left.
He equals zero strikers but costs us 15M a year. Let’s get rid of this lad, ranked among the most useless guys of the last decade.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If his rumoured salary of 250k/week is correct, even a free would save us £25m over two years and we won't lose much since he hardly plays.

I'd be suspicious if they wanted him though with all his injuries but then again, Saudi have signed Kante and Pogba
Bloody hell! I completely missed Pogba headed over there :eek:

yep, any fee would be a bonus at this point, massive wages, barely available, takes a while to get going then he invariable gets injured again anyway.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Murtough needs to be offered a lifetime contract if he can pull this off. Icing on the cake after all the various deals he has done -- both outgoings and incomings.

seasidedaz

While the glazers are here it won’t happen the player is Joel glazers favourite player and wouldn’t surprise me if he got a new contract… I think he once said he reminded him of pele.

Oranges038

Bloody hell! I completely missed Pogba headed over there :eek:

yep, any fee would be a bonus at this point, massive wages, barely available, takes a while to get going then he invariable gets injured again anyway.
He hasn't.

Castia

Please….

For the love of god take this overpaid injury prone bang average ‘striker’ out of our club

How somebody of his ability has managed to survive at a top club for so long is beyond me. Should have been released the last time is contract was coming up under Jose.

Terrible player

Butty19

Please….

For the love of god take this overpaid injury prone bang average ‘striker’ out of our club

How somebody of his ability has managed to survive at a top club for so long is beyond me. Should have been released the last time is contract was coming up under Jose.

Terrible player
It’s because of his ability that he’s survived this long. It’s his attitude and commitment that’s always been the issue.

buchansleftleg

I just hope his agent has his phone in his hand when he gets the email/phonecall about the potential deal.

Otherwise, like his client, he'll just shrug his shoulders and look exasperated, rather than running the 2 feet to get to his phone.

Redcy

I used to think with martial it was an attitude problem, but I don’t think it is. My guess is that it’s all about injuries and how it has affected him mentally. Some athletes find it really hard to come back from injury, they don’t feel like they can push it like they did before. I think this was exacerbated by his treatment, and bringing back early. I say this as someone who was a big naysayer of him, but having seen this thing elsewhere I can say I think it’s become a mental block for him. Best bet would be a Saudi move. Take a big pay check to secure his life and family, in all honestly I’d love to see him come back and teach some of our young strikers how to play the way he does, his game understanding is actually elite level at times.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Would rather keep him as I dont see us getting anyone to replace him unfortunately
I can replace him mate, my knees are fecked and I’ll sit in the treatment room all season if necessary. Same contribution on the pitch