Martial exit?

hobbers

Martial can be replaced by literally any academy player.

He’s not going to be fit at any point, no point paying his wages if there’s any alternative. And we’re in the CL now so those wages are probably back to £13m a season

Redcy

would have to be a pretty hefty offer to get enough to sell, not much else to bring in at this point. Unfortunately i think you just have to suck it up and know he will only play half the season, at best. When he is on he can be a good player up top, but just know that will be about half of his games. Leeches have brought united to this level.
He isn’t going to play half the games last season he played about 1100 mins in total, when we had lots of games. He hasn’t played much more than that in forever.

roseguy64

Martial can be replaced by literally any academy player.

He’s not going to be fit at any point, no point paying his wages if there’s any alternative. And we’re in the CL now so those wages are probably back to £13m a season
No he can't.

FerociousCorgis

He isn’t going to play half the games last season he played about 1100 mins in total, when we had lots of games. He hasn’t played much more than that in forever.
hence i said at best. If i had faith in the club to release funds and have an actual target to bring in id be all for swapping him out. Unfortunately i have faith in neither of those things.

C'est Moi Cantona

Martial and Rasmus is actually prettyy decent up top, far better than Weghorst and Martial, as every second Martial wasn't fit was felt so much given the sort of player Weghorst was for us.

If Rasmus proves to be decent and stays mostly fit, and we can 20-25 games form Martial then we should be ok.

I just can't see us signing another CF now anyway, so it'll have to work.

hobbers

No he can't.
No, he definitely can. He’s not been fit all summer, hes never going to be fit. Literally anyone with a pulse is an upgrade on someone who will never be available.

Fred the red could do it.

FerociousCorgis

also id be curious to hear what the "hefty" offer even is. If it is something stupid like 40 million then yeah sell and just figure shit out ha. but if "hefty" is like 10 million then nah

hobbers

also id be curious to hear what the "hefty" offer even is. If it is something stupid like 40 million then yeah sell and just figure shit out ha. but if "hefty" is like 10 million then nah
£5 is a hefty offer if it means not having to piss away £13m to keep the medical staff busy over the next year.

Yorke to Cole

I would love Martial to leave. We mas as well get shot of who we don't want and clear the decks. It is already a difficult season. We may as well run it skeleton staff.

Scholsey2004

Martial and Rasmus is actually prettyy decent up top, far better than Weghorst and Martial, as every second Martial wasn't fit was felt so much given the sort of player Weghorst was for us.

If Rasmus proves to be decent and stays mostly fit, and we can 20-25 games form Martial then we should be ok.

I just can't see us signing another CF now anyway, so it'll have to work.
There's not a cat in hell's chance of getting 20-25 games out of Martial, at least not in one season.

moodyred

How is Martial still in the club and worse of all, even starting for the team? When was the last time he put in a decent performance? Does anyone know what ETH sees in this guy that most of us don't?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
How is Martial still in the club and worse of all, even starting for the team? When was the last time he put in a decent performance? Does anyone know what ETH sees in this guy that most of us don't?
Do we have another #9 fit and ready to go?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

No, he definitely can. He’s not been fit all summer, hes never going to be fit. Literally anyone with a pulse is an upgrade on someone who will never be available.

Fred the red could do it.
Our youth academy 9s aren't close to being ready. They barely score goals in the reserves.

kps88

Does he do anything at all as a no. 9? Seems like we are playing with 10 men when he plays
He did nothing against Forest but it was still a success because it allowed Rashford to play on the left.

CtrlAltDeLigt

I hope this is true. Though with martial, united play better definitely.

We shouldn’t accept anything under 35-40 mil for him, he’s literally the first choice striker when fit.

We can hopefully use that money to get a functional striker on loan.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Our youth academy 9s aren't close to being ready. They barely score goals in the reserves.
Is Joe Hugill really worse than Weghorst? Is he even worse than demotivated, out-of-position Rashford pretending to be #9? He definitely wasn't in the preseason, so I am not certain, even if I understand preseason is not real competition.

Even if Joe is worse than having nobody, which I am having hard time believing, what the hell is he doing playing for Altrincham in fifth league, while still training in the academy? Who designed that idiotic scheme and how is it helping the development of our players? If he is our top center forward prospect from the academy, why is he in such complete shit situation at the ripe age of 19? Saka and Martinelli are only couple years older than him and they have been tearing it up for Arsenal.

It is our fault that we don't have anybody from the youngsters than can cover us at least better than an empty spot. That is not how it should be.

foolsgold

Is Joe Hugill really worse than Weghorst? Is he even worse than demotivated, out-of-position Rashford pretending to be #9? He definitely wasn't in the preseason, so I am not certain, even if I understand preseason is not real competition.

Even if Joe is worse than having nobody, which I am having hard time believing, what the hell is he doing playing for Altrincham in fifth league, while still training in the academy? Who designed that idiotic scheme and how is it helping the development of our players? If he is our top center forward prospect from the academy, why is he in such complete shit situation at the ripe age of 19? Saka and Martinelli are only couple years older than him and they have been tearing it up for Arsenal.

It is our fault that we don't have anybody from the youngsters than can cover us at least better than an empty spot. That is not how it should be.
I think the answer to your first question is, yes he really is worse than Weghorst and probably by orders of magnitude. The premier league is a brutal environment and if he's playing in the 5th tier then it's because that's his level right now. He's 9 months older than Garnacho who is playing premier league football.

NewGlory

I think the answer to your first question is, yes he really is worse than Weghorst and probably by orders of magnitude. The premier league is a brutal environment and if he's playing in the 5th tier then it's because that's his level right now. He's 9 months older than Garnacho who is playing premier league football.
Well, he is playing fifth league because somebody at United devised this crazy scheme of playing our promising under-23s with Altrincham, while they train with our academy not Altrincham. Supposedly, they just get competitive games with grown-ups, albeit in shit league but get training United-style. It makes no sense to me, either.

Point is - if this is our best center forward from youth then
1. We are fecked and our academy is shit
2. He should be let go. At the age of 19, and like you said older than Garnacho, either we are completely mishandling him or if he is worse than Weghorst at 19, he will never amount to anything neither with us nor with any other EPL team. Why is he still with United? Why was he brought to pre-season tour?

DuruttiColumn

Watched a lot of Hugill for the U21s and yes, he’s considerably worse than Martial or Rashford or anyone else we can play there. Doesn’t matter what Saka is doing at Arsenal, Hugill just won’t make it as a player at United. You have to be a special player to start up front for United in the PL

RuudTom83

The loan system should of been utilised this summer.

Martial/Hojlund + Experienced Backup(Loan)

El Zoido

Watched a lot of Hugill for the U21s and yes, he’s considerably worse than Martial or Rashford or anyone else we can play there. Doesn’t matter what Saka is doing at Arsenal, Hugill just won’t make it as a player at United. You have to be a special player to start up front for United in the PL
Wouldn’t mind him being given a chance. A lot of people would have said the same thing about Rashford when he was first brought in. Sometimes players rise to the challenge.

Ole'sgunnarwin

If Hugill doesn't offer more than Martial, we may as well forget about him. Cause Martial offers nothing.

I'd like to see Hugill get a bit more of a chance. Sick of seeing Martial either injured or walking around the pitch not caring.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Wouldn’t mind him being given a chance. A lot of people would have said the same thing about Rashford when he was first brought in. Sometimes players rise to the challenge.
Hugill is a lot more inconsistent in the U21s than Rashford was. He has struggled with the step up from U18s. I have every belief he will be a solid pro, but he will develop later in his career it looks like.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I get very frustrated with Martial too, but he is on another planet compared to our youth 9s. Hopefully that changes with some of the U18/ U16 lads coming through.

NewGlory

Thank you. That is good to know.

Sounds like we really should let him go

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hope this is true. Though with martial, united play better definitely.

We shouldn’t accept anything under 35-40 mil for him, he’s literally the first choice striker when fit.

We can hopefully use that money to get a functional striker on loan.
That's mainly because we either had to play Weghorst or move Rashford up top where he's not half as good.

Unless a club from the Saudi Arabian league come in for him there is no way we're getting close to that for him, and even then they would have to lose their minds to offer so much.

The Purley King

I get very frustrated with Martial too, but he is on another planet compared to our youth 9s. Hopefully that changes with some of the U18/ U16 lads coming through.
That planet is where nobody fecking runs.
Anybody and I repeat anybody would be better than martial in his current state.

CtrlAltDeLigt

That's mainly because we either had to play Weghorst or move Rashford up top where he's not half as good.

Unless a club from the Saudi Arabian league come in for him there is no way we're getting close to that for him, and even then they would have to lose their minds to offer so much.
Agreed, I was hoping a Saudi club only can submit a bid greater than 20 atleast.

But I feel keeping him is worth if the fee is gonna be less than that, won’t get much of an upgrade on him for that price.

worldinmotion66

If you can’t see that martial improved us then you just don’t know football at all, he was decent for his first game in a long time and on another day could have scored. His movement in the box and hold up strength are streets ahead of anyone else we have that can currently play there.

Regarding youth academy products: they’re allowed to develop at different rates, it’s pretty rare that someone comes through and is capable of playing for the first team when they’re still a teenager. We’re very lucky to have garnacho and Mainoo coming through. Kane and vardy are obvious examples of forwards that had a different path to arrive as a top premier league striker. Don’t give up on them, this isn’t fm or fifa

Spaghetti

Mom's
Has ETH tied Bruno in a false 9 role? If so, how has it impacted Bruno's performances?
I thought he had played there but maybe under Ole
I might be wrong, but didn’t he play there in the first game of 21/22 and score a hat trick, then we signed Ronaldo?

I think we have enough CF/ forward cover for now to let Martial go. Bruno and Sancho can play back up to Hojland and we can get someone new in January if necessary.