Martial exit?

moodyred

If you can’t see that martial improved us then you just don’t know football at all, he was decent for his first game in a long time and on another day could have scored. His movement in the box and hold up strength are streets ahead of anyone else we have that can currently play there.

Regarding youth academy products: they’re allowed to develop at different rates, it’s pretty rare that someone comes through and is capable of playing for the first team when they’re still a teenager. We’re very lucky to have garnacho and Mainoo coming through. Kane and vardy are obvious examples of forwards that had a different path to arrive as a top premier league striker. Don’t give up on them, this isn’t fm or fifa
The moment he becomes good, he will get injured. So literally he is poor whenever he plays and good only when he is in the sick bay. I have stopped making excuses for him long ago. He had his chance....plenty of chances

worldinmotion66

The moment he becomes good, he will get injured. So literally he is poor whenever he plays and good only when he is in the sick bay. I have stopped making excuses for him long ago. He had his chance....plenty of chances
He’s had a terrible injury record, but if we have Hojlund rotating we may be able to manage his fitness better. He’s still the best centre forward that we have. Supporters are very quick to give up on players, as evident with the desire to write off Rashford before last season.

If the offer was large enough, we’d move players like Martial, Maguire and McTominay on. It’s clearly not been yet.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He’s had a terrible injury record, but if we have Hojlund rotating we may be able to manage his fitness better. He’s still the best centre forward that we have. Supporters are very quick to give up on players, as evident with the desire to write off Rashford before last season.

If the offer was large enough, we’d move players like Martial, Maguire and McTominay on. It’s clearly not been yet.
Like we were able to do when we had Weghorst?

Oranges038

Supporters are very quick to give up on players, as evident with the desire to write off Rashford before last season.
It's been 8 years so far and in the last 3 in particular he's been painful to watch, woefully unreliable, inconsistent and injury prone.

I wouldn't exactly call that being quick to give up on a player.

worldinmotion66

Like we were able to do when we had Weghorst?
Touché. I don’t think we can rely on martial to stay fit, but I don’t think we have a choice because we can’t currently afford to replace him. For me, it’s worth the gamble while Hojlund develops.

dinostar77

Bet not a single club in Saudi Arabia would be interested in him, even on a free.

parmenio

If we can sell him take the money and run. He’s had more than enough chances. He cannot lead our line. Would free up a bundle of cash too.

moodyred

Quick? How many years have we given Martial?

Redcy

If you can’t see that martial improved us then you just don’t know football at all, he was decent for his first game in a long time and on another day could have scored. His movement in the box and hold up strength are streets ahead of anyone else we have that can currently play there.

Regarding youth academy products: they’re allowed to develop at different rates, it’s pretty rare that someone comes through and is capable of playing for the first team when they’re still a teenager. We’re very lucky to have garnacho and Mainoo coming through. Kane and vardy are obvious examples of forwards that had a different path to arrive as a top premier league striker. Don’t give up on them, this isn’t fm or fifa
Im sorry Martial did not improve us, Rashford on the left wing improved us. Martial was as shit as Rashford up front, he can't run, he can't dribble, he played the lay off for the first goal, and after that he was never in a position to score, except for one that flashed past him, which if you watch he was in a terrible position to score from. He was being bullied by the Forest defenders, guided out of position, controlled off the ball continuously. So whilst we looked better with him in the team, that was not down to a contribution on his part really.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Is Joe Hugill really worse than Weghorst? Is he even worse than demotivated, out-of-position Rashford pretending to be #9? He definitely wasn't in the preseason, so I am not certain, even if I understand preseason is not real competition.

Even if Joe is worse than having nobody, which I am having hard time believing, what the hell is he doing playing for Altrincham in fifth league, while still training in the academy? Who designed that idiotic scheme and how is it helping the development of our players? If he is our top center forward prospect from the academy, why is he in such complete shit situation at the ripe age of 19? Saka and Martinelli are only couple years older than him and they have been tearing it up for Arsenal.

It is our fault that we don't have anybody from the youngsters than can cover us at least better than an empty spot. That is not how it should be.
Hugill struggled to score goals in the National League last season :lol:

Chairman Steve

He’ll be 28 at the end of the year. I think we’re past the point of ‘wait and see how he develops’. Only been past the 15 goal point twice in his eight years here. That’s pretty poor for a striker at an elite club.

Trex

Why is he so hated, he's not responsible for his injuries and him starting the last weekend game was a surprise to me. Given he played just 10+ minutes in the last game I was expecting a 30 minutes cameo.
I know he hasn't fulfilled his potential and is now injury prone and most people want him gone, but the feeling towards him is a bit too personal and I think he has become an outlet for people to pure their frustrations from their personal life cause this isn't football.

flappyjay

Why is he so hated, he's not responsible for his injuries and him starting the last weekend game was a surprise to me. Given he played just 10+ minutes in the last game I was expecting a 30 minutes cameo.
I know he hasn't fulfilled his potential and is now injury prone and most people want him gone, but the feeling towards him is a bit too personal and I think he has become an outlet for people to pure their frustrations from their personal life cause this isn't football.
Been afraid to say it myself, it's weird. If you are angry at Martial for his injuries how do you think he feels every time his body let's him down. It's must be a tough mental toll on injury prone players. Phil Jones wherever he is isn't happy his career ended so soon it's something he has had to deal with internally for years the poor guy. But they are millionaires so they aren't supposed to have feelings according to this place.

The Purley King

Come here twice a day to hope there is a reliable tweet saying he’s off.
Always disappointed……..

joedirt87

At least it's his final year and his wages will be off the books come summer. Unless of course the club wants to relive the Woodwardian years and give him that generous extension.

Plastic Evra

The tragedy of Martial is that he is not so below replacement level as a backup option we could just jam any warm body in his place, yet never fit enough we can rely on him or find a buyer.
Unlike Maguire which I'm certain will leave August 2024 at the latest, I think Martial's contract will run down until the end.

A-man

Never seems to take off. Seeing several news articles about PSG being interested.

Lee565

I can imagine playing for psg in the French league would greatly flatter his ability and stats.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Been afraid to say it myself, it's weird. If you are angry at Martial for his injuries how do you think he feels every time his body let's him down. It's must be a tough mental toll on injury prone players. Phil Jones wherever he is isn't happy his career ended so soon it's something he has had to deal with internally for years the poor guy. But they are millionaires so they aren't supposed to have feelings according to this place.
He's being sold ffs. Not being put to sleep.

Geez. It's called professional contract vs. performances

Woodzy

Let’s be honest, we should have sold him years ago but now would be a terrible time to sell him with us being so light in attack and no much in bank to strengthen.

We give our club stick in the selling market all the time and I still don’t think it’s enough. Time and time again we leave ourselves stuck with average and under performing players that we end up relying on.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I saw an interview with Graeme Souness recently, and in it he said "Martial simply has not delivered the goods for united, he really is in last chance saloon now, and they will sell him in the Summer"
That interview was 6 years old, and here we are still.... :lol:

tomaldinho1

I saw an interview with Graeme Souness recently, and in it he said "Martial simply has not delivered the goods for united, he really is in last chance saloon now, and they will sell him in the Summer"
That interview was 6 years old, and here we are still.... :lol:
He was generally good/ok since he joined every season and then peaked in 19/20 with a great season at CF. It's really only the last few years which have cemented his legacy here as negative, overall I think he was a good signing we have just, as is the case with basically all players we have, held onto him too long and put him on too big a wage.

Hughes35

If anybody wants him for real money it would be stupid to not finally get shut of him. He's one I won't miss in the slightest.

Winrar

Our worst forward of the post Fergie era? Was Falcao worse? Was Weghorst worse? Who’s the bottom 3?
Despite his current state, Martial has had some good moments and could actually score goals. Weghorst is worse by far.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His contract expires in the summer so I can't imagine we'll be getting anything for him before then.

One of those where he leaves and you're just happy to get his wages (reportedly £250k a week) off the books.

BuzzKillington

I don’t usually agree with the less is more tribe in that getting rid of players makes us better. But this guys been stealing a living for 6 years or so. I can be sympathetic to his injuries, but the lack of effort when he does play and the apparent sulking. Just no, please just get rid in January.

He’s fecking useless as a backup too, takes him ages to play himself into form and by the time he does an injury usually follows within a couple of games and we’re back to the start with him.

Stadjer

Our worst forward of the post Fergie era? Was Falcao worse? Was Weghorst worse? Who’s the bottom 3?
Such a stupid take. Peak Martial might actually be the second best post Fergie striker after Zlatan. Martial was good during LVG his period. Did well under circumstances when Mourinho was the manager and did very well for Ole before Martial his body broke down.

Cavani was pretty good when he played but he was injured a lot. Ronaldo had one good season before he couldnt manage it anymore. Rooney was over the top post Fergie just like RVP was. Who else were there? Depay was a left winger, Ighalo wasnt good enough and neither was Weghorst. Lukaku wasnt great for Manchester United although he did have a decent season if i remember correct. Sanchez was a massive failure. Falcao played on one leg during his Premier League time...