Martial has got to remain at United | No, he hasn't been unfollowing United players on Instagram

CG1010

Losing him over play time because of Sanchez would just be a hard pill to swallow. A bird in the hand rather than two in the bush and all that, but it just feels like it's going to come back and bite us. And Alexis hasn't exactly been unplayable as of yet so it's all a bit disappointing.

No chance for us to sell to Spurs though. I think we are not that stupid.
I am pretty sure that if Martial leaves, we would sign another attacking player as we would be one short. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I mean he hasn't been better than Martial yet and he's way older than him as well. I believe that Alexis will get back to his brilliant level for United but Martial could've potentially given us the same/or better just for a longer period of time. Or he would never reach his potential. It's all about risk/reward and I'd rather just take the gamble with Martial even if we would miss out on Alexis. A bit late for that now, of course.
Really? I'd much rather get the established talent and bring the end product sooner. We have too much talent awaiting to reach their peak.

Shark

@NotShark
I still think that for all his talent, he hasn't progressed much since his debut and for all his skill, he's often far too static and runs into brick walls. He needs to start learning from Sanchez and bring more diversity to his game, and move about the pitch more. Until then, he's not going to make it here as a starting winger.

Last edited:

LeftyBlaster

I still think that for all his talent, he hasn't progressed much since his debut and for all his skill, he's often far too static and runs into brick walls. He seeds to start learning from Sanchez and bring more diversity to his game, and move about the pitch more. Until then, he's not going to make it here as a starting winger.
Agree with all the faults you’ve mentioned. But all that can and should be worked on during training as coaching. The running into brick walls and lack of movement into space is decision making that can be improved through proper coaching. He’d be devastating under any one of Pep, Poch and Klopp.

el3mel

Delaney the idiot is running with a complete different story, that Martial is the one who wants to stay and the club and Jose want to sell him.

Oldyella

I've thought he has been off for a few weeks now. He's a really talented player but I'm not sure he has the stomach for a fight. Would be disappointing to lose him, but if it comes to that and we get a big fee and replace him with a good right sided player it would resolve quite a few issues tbh.

Bouhafsi tends to be pretty reliable too so I think there will be something in this. Just need to see but this will rumble on a wee while yet.
I think he had stomach for it when he was up against Rashford, but Alexis coming in I front of both seems to have really done for him. Will be a shame, he will go somewhere else and look good, bit we have lost players before and survived, although I am not keen on the shorter term out look of signing Alexis.

Athletico would be ideal as they will hopefully be flush from selling Griezmann

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Gutted with this. He will be huge star. He has flaws but his attacking ability is fantastic.
Martial on the left, sanchez on the right , lukaku on no9. I was so happy when i thought that we will play like that in next couple of years. How naive i was?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he had stomach for it when he was up against Rashford, but Alexis coming in I front of both seems to have really done for him. Will be a shame, he will go somewhere else and look good, bit we have lost players before and survived, although I am not keen on the shorter term out look of signing Alexis.

Athletico would be ideal as they will hopefully be flush from selling Griezmann
I think you're probably right, when he was against Rashford he knew that one of them would play so he was content with that but Sanchez coming in might have made his mind up for him.

If we do sell, I imagine it would be to someone like Athletico or Juve. It would be disappointing but if we prioritized the right hand side and made a good signing there it wouldn't be so bad. I do like him as a player though and it would be disappointing to see him leave.

Snafu17

Really? I'd much rather get the established talent and bring the end product sooner. We have too much talent awaiting to reach their peak.
It's a bit sentimental obviously since I'd rather see a player who has been with the club since he was 18 be successful for that said club that someone who arrives here at the end of their career, but building a strong core of talented players who genuinely keep on playing for the club for a larger period of time is a genuinely useful thing. There are loads of benefits from that.

And besides, as previously stated, Alexis has been largely hit or miss so far. So there's an element of risk there as well.

Axkiko

Delaney the idiot is running with a complete different story, that Martial is the one who wants to stay and the club and Jose want to sell him.
RMC is much reliable than Miguel Delaney. But I remember a month ago RMC reported United delayed the contract extension of Martial and now reporting he rejected a new contract intends to leave.

The_Order

Was our top attacker behind Lukaku

Then gets benched.

Only behind Lukaku in terms of G+A too

Ashish Negi

Combined goals and assists across all competitions this season:
Anthony Martial - 21
Marcus Rashford - 20
Jesse Lingard - 18

Starts in the PL
Lingard - 17
Martial - 16
Rashford - 14

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Martial has 14months on his contract and can sign a pre contract by January. So forget the idea that he can be bring huge money when the buying club can simply wait it out and get him for free.
He is not getting ahead of Sanchez so more bench roles for him. As a result he is losing his NT spots
Bayern Juventus Atletico and several EPL clubs(Chelsea, Arsenal Spurs etc) will love to have him and he will start at these clubs

Personally I feel he has big potentials and he will blow up elsewhere with regular minutes and confidence

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Martial has 14months on his contract and can sign a pre contract by January. So forget the idea that he can be bring huge money when the buying club can simply wait it out and get him for free.
He is not getting ahead of Sanchez so more bench roles for him. As a result he is losing his NT spots
Bayern Juventus Atletico and several EPL clubs(Chelsea, Arsenal Spurs etc) will love to have him and he will start at these clubs

Personally I feel he has big potentials and he will blow up elsewhere with regular minutes and confidence
We'll extend his contract to 2020. We've an option of one year extension. So if we sell, he'll bring in big money.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Earlier today it was Rashford and now Martial.

Mourinho is working his magic again...well done!

FerociousCorgis

Martial would have stayed if Jose is ready to Sub his babies. He never Subbed Zlatan first when he was going through the patch and now the same story with Lukaku. Even when he is not playing well he keeps him on the pitch for the 90 Mins. He can easily Sub Lukaku and Sanchez for Rashford and Martial after 75 mins. This will help both players to develop with of course occasional rotations in low profile games.

Jose is Stubborn and that's the reason now he wants to leave. Martial was happy before with Sub role as he was playing some role for the team. As many above said he had good Jan and Feb, now Jose not even giving him chances from the bench have put the nail in the coffin.

First Jose Took his No 9 without telling him and now gave his position to Sanchez. No disrespect to Sanchez but he was horrible in all the games but he did well in last two games Bcz jose trusted him and he needs to show same trust on Martial and Rashford.
exactly. Sanchez has been the definition of hit and miss, and yet people are making it seem like he has been on fire for us and martial just needs to suck it up. All because of an impulse screw city buy we have gone from seeing both martial and rashford, to now only MAYBE seeing one per game. Just unacceptable. I could handle this if i had faith in mou long term, but what has he shown for staying at a place long term and building? Feel like next year we will sacrifice any youngsters who should be getting playing time all because mou will know it is make or break year. 22 year old french international who has like 24 goals in 80 something apps, plenty of those being sub apps, over 2 different managers/systems, and getting tossed aside. If im TFM and tuanz im not thinking either about staying here next season and playing at all. Will be the same over the hill seniors on the backline too i bet.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

He has an extension option in his contract which the club can trigger at will.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
exactly. Sanchez has been the definition of hit and miss, and yet people are making it seem like he has been on fire for us and martial just needs to suck it up. All because of an impulse screw city buy we have gone from seeing both martial and rashford, to now only MAYBE seeing one per game. Just unacceptable. I could handle this if i had faith in mou long term, but what has he shown for staying at a place long term and building? Feel like next year we will sacrifice any youngsters who should be getting playing time all because mou will know it is make or break year. 22 year old french international who has like 24 goals in 80 something apps, plenty of those being sub apps, over 2 different managers/systems, and getting tossed aside. If im TFM and tuanz im not thinking either about staying here next season and playing at all. Will be the same over the hill seniors on the backline too i bet.
Sanchez has played a mere handful of games so far in his short United career, how did you arrive at this conclusion?

jungledrums

Gutted with this. He will be huge star. He has flaws but his attacking ability is fantastic.
Martial on the left, sanchez on the right , lukaku on no9. I was so happy when i thought that we will play like that in next couple of years. How naive i was?
You and me both mate

Silas

I was so convinced as well.

Janson

It's incredibly important for the future of the team that we give him a new contract. Hopefully this is just a tactic to put pressure on the team through his French media contacts. Can't see any reason to sell him, and if we do, it's surely got to be for a Neymar-style fee. Which club would pay that?
I think it said specifically that he wants to leave, and that's why he rejected it.

GM K

Agree with all the faults you’ve mentioned. But all that can and should be worked on during training as coaching. The running into brick walls and lack of movement into space is decision making that can be improved through proper coaching. He’d be devastating under any one of Pep, Poch and Klopp.
What if they are being worked on but he's not catching on? What if he is not keen? What if he feels he knows it all? Just saying.

My point is that we don't really know. This might be a case of Jose absolutely mismanaging a great talent or the player not just keen or humble enough to improve his play under the manager. We can only speculate.

One thing I do know about football is that managers see far more than we fans see when it comes to players and they pick their teams based on factors apart from pure talent displayed on the pitch. Attitude and character mean a lot to many top managers.

Having said all that, I wish Martial has his heart set on United and he is willing to bid his time and earn his shirt. But there have been too many rumours about his desire to leave over the last one year that I have become convinced he will not be at United next season.

Handsome Devil

It seems like everyday the media is gleefully reporting that another United player is unsettled. Only today Talkshite were wittering on about Rashford wanting a move. They were practically queuing up to encourage him to go.

Andersons Dietician

So Rashford supposedly looking for a summer move and now Martial has rejected a contract. Can we not just establish the Chelsea loan system and if they really want more footballs either play them or put them out on loan. Would rather keep hold of both.

Although would be sort of intrigued to see how a forward line of Neymar, Martial and Mbappe functioned. Frightening would be my guess.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Since when did any player become synonymous with the club? Unless you are a potential GOAT you are replaceable. What happens if Madrid or Barcelona come calling for Martial and he throws a strop and pushes for a move? Do we pay him the same as Messi and Ronaldo just because he's Martial?

Martial stays at the club, until he no longer is useful to the club. None of this nonsense that we should bend over backwards for him. He is an employee, not the other way around.
Agreed 100%.
Everybody is expendable and if a player decides that he is bigger than the club, it is usually better to let him go.
IMO Martial simply isn't a Jose type player. He lacks energy and his overall demeanour is stroppy, which Jose does not like.

In saying all of the above, I would like Martial to stay as I think he has a lot to offer, but I would not bend over backwards to keep any player (DDG, excepted).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So Rashford supposedly looking for a summer move and now Martial has rejected a contract.
...and you believe that?
Rashford, a life long MUFC fan...as 20 years of age and after getting plenty of game time, wants to leave. Does this strike you as believable?

The_Order

I think it's interesting that many are ready to stake the club's future on a man who won't be here in 2 years

spiriticon

So Rashford supposedly looking for a summer move and now Martial has rejected a contract. Can we not just establish the Chelsea loan system and if they really want more footballs either play them or put them out on loan. Would rather keep hold of both.

Although would be sort of intrigued to see how a forward line of Neymar, Martial and Mbappe functioned. Frightening would be my guess.
I think that's an incredibly rubbish system tbh. Very few loanees come back to the parent club and establish themselves.

If Martial went out on loan at a semi-big club and establishes himself, its curtains for his United career for sure.

Jig1234

I can't relate to people who would entertain selling players like Martial and Rashford. Both young with a lot of potential that is not being maximised.

Nikelesh Reddy

I still think that for all his talent, he hasn't progressed much since his debut and for all his skill, he's often far too static and runs into brick walls. He needs to start learning from Sanchez and bring more diversity to his game, and move about the pitch more. Until then, he's not going to make it here as a starting winger.
Agree with your first point,but disagree with the Sanchez comparison....These are 2 players at different stages of their careers...It would be better to compare him to Rashford...Sanchez must have probably been like Martial when he was 21....

Shark

@NotShark
Agree with your first point,but disagree with the Sanchez comparison....These are 2 players at different stages of their careers...It would be better to compare him to Rashford...Sanchez must have probably been like Martial when he was 21....
I wasn’t comparing, I was saying that he should learn from Sanchez. He’s lucky to have players of that caliber playing with him at 22, something maybe Sanchez didn’t have the luxury of at that stage in his career.

Shark

@NotShark
I think it's interesting that many are ready to stake the club's future on a man who won't be here in 2 years
The reality is, Jose is our manager right now. It’s interesting that there’s actually some posters saying they’d be quicker to get rid of the manager, than a player that’s shown only short bursts of his potential, and hasn’t improved much since his debut.

Jig1234

So we should continue with a fairly inept attack for a few years so we get a few years of maybe a good one? Never understood that train of thought.

It's not an inept attack. Mourinho has chopped and changed his XI every game. Even after tht 3-2 win you still can't really identify his system, style or team. Which is why we are in a situation where players might want out. Rashford scores two vs Liverpool but is on the bench vs Man City. He decided to sign Sanchez to play in a position that was already being filled by Martial/Rashford.

Sanchez's arrival saw Martial shunted to the RW when he was actually in a bit of form. Surprised he doesn't use Sanchez on the right. Also you have to factor in that Lukaku plays every single game practically. Mourinho does not want to use Rashford as a striker. Which limits opportunities.

I think Mourinho should be finding a system to get Rashford and Martial on the pitch.

Man City have a front line of 20 year old's that will get better, if we start selling young players for 28+ year olds we will end up in similar situations we blamed Fergie for.

"Fergie left us a dead strong" 'Van Gaal signed bad players"

Keeping the average age down is good business and doing otherwise is a backwards move.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

I bet Mourinho will replace him with Ivan Perisic.....
And for arguments sake lets say we do that and it gives the team more balance/more tactical options and is more successful then what the hell Im all for it. Id be more annoyed if Rashford left.

In an ideal world Martial becomes the world class player he has the potential to be and becomes undroppable but not sure I see that happening for a variety of reasons.