Martial / joined Sevilla on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I see a lot of posters speak about his attitude issues but honestly I think his actual abilities have been overrated vastly. Berbatov is probably the last player I'd watched with similar body language but there was no doubting his ability even if he's branded a flop by some. Martial wouldn't be even anywhere close to him for me.
It's presumably the attitude that's why his ability hasn't increased since he was 20, though. He would have huge ability if he'd improved at the normal rate and usually when players do not make those improvements it coincides with them having massive attitude issues.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

If that's honestly the wage we are paying him, we are the dumbest club on the planet
Since Ferguson and David Gill went we've been paying wages at the rate of the player we hope they might turn into one fecking day, rather than the player they actually are. We've been such mugs for a long time now it's unbelievable.

Revaulx

I think his style of play suits a more technical, less physical game. Those days where he doesn't know why its not working for him will be less frequent.
Hmmm. Whatever, if you’re right I’ll be delighted to see him doing well.

romufc

I was all on the Martial hype train post lockdown when he seemed unplayable, then came the new season and he looked lost, half the player really.

18 months on, nothing has changed my mind, he is way too inconsistent to rely on him. I see people calling him the best LW but he wants to play 9. So that on its own is an issue, everytime we have brought in competition, he bottles it.

I hope he does well and it adds £10/20m on his price tag.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Since Ferguson and David Gill went we've been paying wages at the rate of the player we hope they might turn into one fecking day, rather than the player they actually are. We've been such mugs for a long time now it's unbelievable.
The club was definitely too fearful of the player Martial may turn into when he was running his previous deal down. He was what in his final year when he got his last renewal?

Devil may care

I know Sevilla enquired about Martial a little while ago but this moved to completion very quickly yesterday, at least we've gotten them to pay his full wages, and we aren't short in his position.

Hammondo

Because they know what it takes to be ‘top’. No one’s ever ditched a Ronaldo or a Messi because they weren’t up to it.
They also ditch them because they don't suit their football style, they get in players that do.

DOTA

I know Sevilla enquired about Martial a little while ago but this moved to completion very quickly yesterday, at least we've gotten them to pay his full wages, and we aren't short in his position.
Did he take a pay cut in the end, do we know? I'd pity them if they're genuinely paying the whole lot.

Chief123

If that's honestly the wage we are paying him, we are the dumbest club on the planet
To put this in perspective, Martial has been getting paid more than Mo Salah all this time. Unbelievable Geoff. No wonder we have so many players just happy to sit on their contract and see it out.

V.O.

Did he take a pay cut in the end, do we know? I'd pity them if they're genuinely paying the whole lot.
He wouldn't be taking a cut either way, we'd just be paying whatever Sevilla aren't if they don't cover the lot.

DOTA

He wouldn't be taking a cut either way, we'd just be paying whatever Sevilla aren't if they don't cover the lot.
Beeb were suggesting that we were refusing to pay a penny and Sevilla were trying to convince him to take a reduction.

Red_toad

Hope he does very well there, so we can get a good fee for him in the summer. Not looking forward to the constant Martial FC posts, that'll be rampant whenever he has a half decent game.

V.O.

Beeb were suggesting that we were refusing to pay a penny and Sevilla were trying to convince him to take a reduction.
That's a strange one if true. Can't see why a player would ever accept those terms.

I'd always been under the impression that a player loaned out would always continue to go the full amount in his contract with his parent club no matter who was paying it, though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What on earth did Martial do to justify £240,000 a week? Apart from threaten to leave, of course.

DOTA

That's a strange one if true. Can't see why a player would ever accept those terms.

I'd always been under the impression that a player loaned out would always continue to go the full amount in his contract with his parent club no matter who was paying it, though.
It'd be a gamble - take a smallish cut now in order to make sure the loan gets through because you believe during that loan you can show enough to get you a considerably better next contract than you would have had you been on the parent clubs bench.

I've no idea of the legalities of it, mind. As I say, I was just taking my prompt from the BBC on that.

troylocker

His (non-penalty) goals + assists per 90 mins in the PL was good until last season. Under Mourinho, he was playing 1500 - 1600 PL mins per season; easy to blame the manager. First full season under Solskjaer looked to be progressing towards becoming an elite player, then shocking last season. After such a disappointing season, you'd expect to have to fight for your place in the team; Martial didn't want to.

Talented player. Good at linking the play. Poor movement in the penalty area. Minimal defensive effort. Great dribbler. Finishing excellent apart from nightmare last season. Distance covered stats alarming.

6 goals + 4 assists in 22 CL starts.

https://understat.com/player/553

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-martial/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/182877/verein/985
Was it good? I think it has been ok, but never great for his entire career.

0,44 non penalty goals per 90 (from 2015 to the end of the 19/20 season)
0,67 non penalty goals + assists per 90 (from 2015 to the end of the 19/20 season)

I remember we were pretty excited when we signed him, but he lacked that end product back then too.
He had 15 goals to his name total (from domestic comps in France) when we signed him for 57M £ (crazy overpriced) in more than 3800 minutes, and he played mainly as a central forward in France. He turned 20 late that year.
Crazy that he actually won the Golden Boy 2015 award after a year he scored 12 (2 pens) and assisted 4 for Monaco in 2320 minutes, and followed that up by scoring 7 and assisting 2 for us in 1785 minutes. Total 19 goals and 9 assists in 4382 minutes for clubs and country. He had: 0,32 non penalty goals per 90 - 0,50 non penalty goals + assists per 90.
Man, was that a dry year! (Kingsley Coman and Bellerin closest contenders)

- Haaland in 2020 (turned 20 that year), when he won the Golden Boy award: 1,15 non penalty goals per 90 - 1,41 non penalty goals + assists per 90 (hard competition from Fati, Davies and Sancho.
- Mbappe in 2017 (turned 19 late that year), when he won the Golden Boy award: 0,68 non penalty goals per 90 - 1,11 non penalty goals + assists per 90 (In competition with Dembele and Rashford)

Now he's 26 and still hasn't scored more than 96 goals (10 penalties) in 374 matches in his entire senior career for club and country.

I wish him the best for the future, but he's never really been Man United quality.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
It's presumably the attitude that's why his ability hasn't increased since he was 20, though. He would have huge ability if he'd improved at the normal rate and usually when players do not make those improvements it coincides with them having massive attitude issues.
The problem is not only he is mentally weak, but our fan base and the media, plus a ridiculously generous contract by the club, made him believe he was better than what he is. He believed he knew better than coaches and senior players, when in reality, he was just a prospect who had accomplished nothing in football yet.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
To put this in perspective, Martial has been getting paid more than Mo Salah all this time. Unbelievable Geoff. No wonder we have so many players just happy to sit on their contract and see it out.
More than Salah, more than Mane, more than Kane, more than Son, the list goes on and on.

You say its no wonder players are happy to sit about doing nowt. I think it also gives them a false sense of self. Imagine being paid like you're the dog's proverbials. Of course you're going to think you're amazing. Is it any wonder our coaches seem to have so little authority?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He doesn’t want to be here so good deal for both parties
He doesn't want to be part time player. Big difference. He wants to play regulary which in United he will not (at least he thinks that). I respect that.
"Lazy and not interested" player wants to go somewhere where he will play and he is slated for that. Meanwhile, we have bunch of players who are happy with doing nothing for years like Jones and Lingard and they are rated among fans more than him.

Manny

Grammar Police
What on earth did Martial do to justify £240,000 a week? Apart from threaten to leave, of course.
We are a club run by accountants. Woodward probably thinks that if you pay someone like a superstar, they'll perform like one. I'm sure it made sense on his spreadsheet.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We are a club run by accountants. Woodward probably thinks that if you pay someone like a superstar, they'll perform like one. I'm sure it made sense on his spreadsheet.
He was probably scared of how it would make us look if he managed to force a move away. I’d say we look a damn sight worse being mugged off all the time though.

sp_107

if i want one thing to change at club, this is the one

It gives players so much comfort zone that they are not putting any efforts

JohnnyKills

He doesn't want to be part time player. Big difference. He wants to play regulary which in United he will not (at least he thinks that). I respect that.
"Lazy and not interested" player wants to go somewhere where he will play and he is slated for that. Meanwhile, we have bunch of players who are happy with doing nothing for years like Jones and Lingard and they are rated among fans more than him.
Good Post.

charlenefan

There was this one numpty a few weeks ago who wanted to see Lingard playing cm over McFred. In a midfield two.
Exactly one numpty

Martial has fans who would dissolve the club before selling him

steve.crowford

It’s probably the right move for both parties. The talent is there, but he’s been at United for 6.5 years and hasn’t improved significantly/hasn’t been able to establish himself in the starting lineup. And even without counting Ronaldo and Cavani, we’ve got plenty of competition with Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Lingard, and Elanga. With Pellistri, Chong, and Amad hoping for opportunities within the “near” future.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's not though as since when has Jones or Lingard had a fanbase as big as Martial FC? No one rates either of them
Exactly one numpty

Martial has fans who would dissolve the club before selling him
I was talking about criticsm on personal level, not playing performances.
Player who doesn't play gets boooed by crowd and by lots of fans here because he wants to leave the club for playing time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
i know we need to shed some wages/talent as the squad is huge but I was also kind of hoping we’d be in for a vidic/evra type deal or two during this window. I’m assuming Ralf has some really good cheaper players flagged up as that’s a big part of his approach to club building. This is the main problem with temporary managers/firing your managers a lot though. Nobody knows if the next guy will want the same players. Is Ralf going to be the next guy?

Corridor of Uncertainty

I'm not his biggest fan, but it's refreshing to see a player willing to take a hit on wages in order to get a move and play football. By contrast, Lingard is happy to sit on the bench and run his contract down to get a big pay day, in favour of getting minutes on the pitch.

Last edited:

charlenefan

I was talking about criticsm on personal level, not playing performances.
Player who doesn't play gets boooed by crowd and by lots of fans here because he wants to leave the club for playing time.
Oh boo hoo he got booed once, its actually nothing compared to the abuse Jones and Lingard have got. Apart from Rashford I can't think of 2 other United players in recent times to get as much abuse as those two

Judas

Open to offers
On the flip side, there’s fans who would rather we get relegated than see Martial do well so it balances out.
A tiny amount of people have this view, and its not one I see on here really? People are bored of the Martial FC crap, but would be more than happy to be proven wrong and for the player to deliver to his potential.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm not his biggest fan, but it's refreshing to see a player willing to take a hit on wages in order to get a move and play football. By contrast, Lingard is happy to sit on the bench and run his contract down in search of a huge pay day, in favour of getting minutes on the pitch.
He hasn't taken a hit on wages, United have waived a fee for him to be paid IN FULL

Status
Not open for further replies.