Martial's yips

Idxomer

I'm a big fan and he was great today but this is a real problem now with him in front of the goal.

The extra touches and the hesitation before his shots are a big sign now of his nervousness and lack of confidence in his finishing.

This started last season and continued into the new one.

We need him scoring again consistently so this is something he needs to work hard at to shake it off.

lsd

The Oracle
Not a number 9 has no business playing there and will be never be good enough in that position

MalcolmTucker

His finishing is woeful this season. He's playing better though and I'm sure once he gets a couple from open play he'll be back to being clinical

bsCallout

Confidence is shot in front of goal.

He'll return and go on a streak no doubt.

The rest of his game has improved to such a level that he is integral to our play even when he's not scoring.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not a number 9 has no business playing there and will be never be good enough in that position
Clueless comment from another top red again. He was essential in our win today with numerous assists. His general contribution to the play is clear to see for anyone who has eyes or is not trying to suck off Scholes and Neville.

He's a bit dodgy in front of goal but his overall play has been poor for one, maybe two games this season. Some people go on about supporting the team but it seems that only applies to the English players, such as Maguire who has been terrible for half a year.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If Kane put in that performance he would be praised hugely! Give him credit.

Anybody's Guess

Could have been left alone at OT and still wouldn't have been able to score. Was lively otherwise, but the wastefulness in front of goal certainly was frustrating.

arnie_ni

You’d feel better about him if we had a top inside right.
Like firmino with mane and salah either side of him? I agree.

His hold up play, touch, control, build up is all one of the best in the league

AngliaRed

He has got by for his clinical assassin type finishing historically but thus season he is taking them extra touches and not finding them corners so it’s opening him up for criticism. Unless he’s playing off the left, which Rashford has nailed down Cavani should be the no.9.

Lentwood

Played very well but yeah would say the yips is a good analogy - taking the extra touch with that first one was bizarre and the second carbon copy one was such a half hearted finish

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not the best of days to post this thread. Every striker misses but martial was imperious today.

Hopefully his form gathers momentum now because his been a disappointment this season, thus far.

Godfather

not just today. Game after game if your going to win the league, your 9 has to give you goals. Lots of them.
Talking completely out of your arse when Liverpool have exactly the opposite. But I get it. Some of you just have a huge agenda against him

lex talionis

Clean up the finishing and Anthony can be in an all world XI conversation, but my God his finishing is horrific. Serious concern this, but the good news is that it’s well within his reach to become an accomplished finisher.

ForeverRed1

Talking completely out of your arse when Liverpool have exactly the opposite. But I get it. Some of you just have a huge agenda against him
no I love him, I just don’t feel he’s a number 9.I love number 9s who are pure animal goal scorers, that’s just my personal taste..

arnie_ni

not just today. Game after game if your going to win the league, your 9 has to give you goals. Lots of them.
The arguable best team in the world for the last couple of seasons have a worse version of him up top

NinjaFletch

Don't think he's an instinctive finisher. Even when he was scoring lots last season he squandered so many chances taking too many touches. Caught up with him a bit this season and lost some confidence.

Roane

Low on confidence in front of goal.

His "coolness" is the issue. Needs to put his laces through it rather than try and place it. Just to get back in the groove

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's a natural dribbler but that's about it. Everything else seems less natural to him.

Annouchez

He’s a silky player that is unfortunately always playing in school shoes

Djemba-Djemba

He played well today but his finishing is a real worry now.

Started in the Europa League last season and it's carried on into this.

Some of his misses in the last 6 months have been dreadful.

Idxomer

Don't think he's an instinctive finisher. Even when he was scoring lots last season he squandered so many chances taking too many touches. Caught up with him a bit this season and lost some confidence.
He uses his brain too much, this sounds like a weird criticism but it's true with him and affecting his finishing.

Red_Aaron

It's odd because there's been periods in the past where you'd swear he had ice in his veins, one on one he was untouchable.

He otherwise played well today so hopefully that will improve his confidence some
Needs one in off his arse as the cliche goes

arnie_ni

We would be singing a different song if that two one on one 5 yard chances were the only ones in the match.
But they weren't because Tony got 2 assists, won a pen (3rd assit) and was massively involved in brunos goal

amsoUG

This is just silly, If I may - much folly - Liverpool just won the league with the least scoring #9. Real won 4/5 champions leagues in a row with a least scoring #9.