g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Martial's yips

If we had the option, then of course I’d have someone like Haaland ahead of Martial as our striker. However, I still feel our game would need to change in how we play now. Even Haaland wouldn’t offer us a lot of what Martial does in that position.

We do need a striker who is a longer term solution, but in all honesty who is out there that you could go and get and feel confident they would be able to do a job as the main striker for Man Utd? Other than Haaland and Mbappe, there really aren’t that many nailed on options out there.

I genuinely feel a slight tweak and a bit more training/coaching, Martial can start converting these chances and increase his conversion rate. He may need to adjust his technique but the fact he is getting into these positions in the first place (which is often due to his ability to run with the ball while using his strength) is a good sign. It’s only a matter of time before he consistently starts scoring for me.

We forget he is still very young and has time to improve further.
he’s 25 - he can improve, but he’s not a young player anymore. If only one of him or Rashford could play on the right!

Haaland would clearly be a great option, but not sure if he’s realistic. I think Calvert-Lewin could be the right player as a focal point, but would be very expensive.

Chief123

he’s 25 - he can improve, but he’s not a young player anymore. If only one of him or Rashford could play on the right!

Haaland would clearly be a great option, but not sure if he’s realistic. I think Calvert-Lewin could be the right player as a focal point, but would be very expensive.
Personally, I would definitely prefer Martial over Calvert Lewin. Two very different players. We don’t play football that suits DCL either. We barely cross the ball. Our focus is more through a central play maker in Bruno.

Personally, I would definitely prefer Martial over Calvert Lewin. Two very different players. We don’t play football that suits DCL either. We barely cross the ball. Our focus is more through a central play maker in Bruno.
I understand its Probably not a popular opinion! But also, it’s not the intention to ditch Martial, and yes very different players, which is the point to an extent.

what is clear is that there aren’t many options. Very few top class forwards, or players ready to make a step up.

Chief123

I understand its Probably not a popular opinion! But also, it’s not the intention to ditch Martial, and yes very different players, which is the point to an extent.

what is clear is that there aren’t many options. Very few top class forwards, or players ready to make a step up.
It’s actually astonishing how football has evolved. I was thinking about this the other day.

If you look at the players we have been used to over the last 20 years, there is a serious lack of proper strikers out there. And then I started thinking about proper centre backs and it’s the same problem! It’s like the majority of top class players in the world are now some kind of midfielders.

Mbappe and Haaland are obvious candidates. Lewandowski is nearing the end of his amazing career. But if you were to bring a striker to lead the line for utd now, it would be a very small pool to choose from.

I think it’s going to be a serious fight for Haaland and Mbappe due to this problem. We have to use our financial strength to somehow sign one of them no matter how difficult it is.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
19-20 32 games 17 goals
18-19 27 (9) 10 goals
17-18 30 (12) 9 goals
16-17 25 (7) 4 goals
15-16 31 (2) 11 goals

Not good enough. I'd cash in before the overseas clubs figure it out.

Icemav

All I know is that the hold up play of Martial and Rashford used to be piss weak, pathetic even at times. Well that has completely changed. Total ballers now.

Martial will start scoring efficiently again. Its been a strange loss of form for sure though.

cyril C

After Scott and Rash our best player today but go on. God some of you...
Believe he was involved in the 2nd goal. His 1st half was good, only missed his chances in the 2nd. In a pure counter-attack mode, Martial's role is limited, but when you need to build up for an attack, his #9 role delivered so far.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
We have already seen he is capable of being clinical in the past, its in him - just a matter of regaining confidence. In the mean time we are witnessing Martial improve significantly in other aspects of his game knitting our attack together and we are most definitely a better team when he's in it. Once he puts it all together he will be absolutely class.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Cost me £130 with that early 2nd half chance - unacceptable

Obiorahking_

Real won 4/5 champions leagues in a row with a least scoring #9.
I agree with sentiment but I don't think this is true at all. Benzo averaged around 20 goals every other season while Martial just had a career best 17. For me to accept this current version of Martial, he needs to bring this all round game all the time and we need a goal scoring threat at RW to compensate.

el3mel

He was great apart from the chances he missed. As long as he keeps playing well like this he would eventually find the net again.

Whether he's good enough for long term in this position is up to debate though. I don't believe he should be our main striker long term but in this Leeds game he did pretty much everything I would like from my striker except scoring the chances he got.

LUC1f3R

Martial was really good but the whole point was about his finishing. There will be matches where we gets few chances at goal and needs to score that (like PSG). He played like Firmino but we don't have Salah & Mane on either side to finish the game of. :p

But it is good to see his 1-2s with Rashford getting better

Plymouth Red

Cavani is a great goal scorer but there are a lot of things that Cavani can not do what Martial does.

So much of our play is based on Bruno and Rashford playing balls into Martials feet and having fast one two inter play between each other. It’s heavily reliant on trusting Martials ability to not only control the ball under pressure but also having a great first touch and being able to use his strength and close control to turn when receiving the ball, holding his man off and feeding in others. So often he takes the ball under extreme pressure and dribbles his way out of trouble which is incredibly hard as a striker as it’s the one position on the pitch where the player is under the most pressure.

Everyone calling for Cavani to play instead of Martial is a lazy argument by simplifying it by just looking at Martials missed chances. It’s easy to just show Cavani’s movement and goal scoring but that doesn’t work all the time for our style of play. If we don’t have Telles playing to cross it in to Cavani, who else is likely to cross it to him. That’s not even our style of football.

Our front 3 is very similar to how Liverpool like to play with constant interchanges and lots of give and go’s. Cavani is not as good as Martial in this style of football.

While the team is winning and scoring plenty of goals, we can carry Martials goal scoring problem for now. Because he is so involved in so many of our goals when he does play.

Firmino was scoring 1 goal a year yet everyone could see what he offers the team. It’s not just about how many goals does a forward have anymore. If they offer other threats to their game and play in a way which suits what you are trying to do then you work with it. Martials goal scoring will return in due time.
I cite Cavani as an example of a predatory number 9, which isn't how Martial plays the position.
I have posted before on why I don't see him in the number nine shirt and here's how I explained it.

I've always seen the role of a 9 as being the focal point of a team from an attacking perspective, mostly operating in the box. This needs a certain sort of character. Consider a cross-section of the most successful number 9s in their prime - Benzema, Falcao, Ibra, Toni, Cavani, Lewandowski, Suarez, Shearer, Cole, Hugo Sanchez, Batistuta, Gerd Muller and pre-fat Ronaldo.

All of these guys put fear into defenders and generated confidence in their team mates, which encouraged them to get the ball to them in goal-scoring situations. They were reliable, strong, aggressive, hungry, they bullied the opposition and above all, they wanted the ball in the net. They were also predators with a skill set to match including the ability to head a ball into the opposition's net.

After watching Martial since he joined us, I have concluded he doesn't match up to this specification. That's not to say he isn't talented or a good footballer. I agree he's talented and he can have some very good games (but not often enough).

He's not got the predator mindset, he won't bully a defence, he won't put himself in dangerous positions to score goals and he isn't hungry enough for them. In this position, he's definitely style over substance, as I see it and we don't need luxury players, we need effective ones, in every position.

I don't dispute Martial's strengths as you describe them, but you omit his obvious weaknesses in the box and I don't believe I'm alone in seeing these missing traits as a key weakness in the team.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We all know he’s a confidence player, and he probably blames himself for our champions league exit since he missed a crucial chance against PSG to put us back in the lead. Ole knows better than anyone how that feels after his miss against Leverkusen in 2002 - he just needs time. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned though, it didn’t cost us today but his scoring touch needs to return as soon as possible.

Threesus

I am seeing posts like Real won CL's with a 'least scoring No 9' like Benzema. Do people not realize that Benzema has been one of the top 5 strikers of the last decade and has been carrying Real Madrid ever since CR left. The amount of defenders Martial gets is just baffling. We have gone from players like RVN, Rooney and RVP to Martial where people are just satisfied with 15 goals in the league. If he had not dropped his levels catastrophically this season, we might have still been in the CL. This forum takes the mick out of Firmino, but then turn around and say the exact things about Martial that scousers say to defend their man. For me, he and Rashford should compete for the left side with a proper no 9 needed. We are not winning the league or the CL with Martial as the main striker.

I just can't get my mind around why he has been so poor in front of goal this season. Like atleast with Rashford, you can bring up his back and shoulder injuries, even if you think he should still play better. I have not heard anything about any injuries with him, so can someone point out why his form has taken such a nosedive? I cannot reiterate this enough, we need him and Greenwood to find some semblance of form, if we are to win anything this season. Just depending on Bruno is a recipe for disaster.

G-MUFC

I've always encouraged patience with Martial. However the final straw for me was that PSG miss. He's not consistent enough for us to rely on him, especially as we need to be challenging Liverpool (one of the most consistent teams you will ever see).

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He was class today in the number 9 position
I think one of the reasons today's scoreline was so different from the Bilbao match was his hold-up play, we had nobody in those lineups who could relieve the pressure, back-to-goal, and run at their backline, like he did today. (Obviously many other factors- Leeds' quality, Bruno's creativity, McTominay's goals - but in terms of style, the games were somewhat similar).

el3mel

I am seeing posts like Real won CL's with a 'least scoring No 9' like Benzema. Do people not realize that Benzema has been one of the top 5 strikers of the last decade and has been carrying Real Madrid ever since CR left. The amount of defenders Martial gets is just baffling. We have gone from players like RVN, Rooney and RVP to Martial where people are just satisfied with 15 goals in the league. If he had not dropped his levels catastrophically this season, we might have still been in the CL. This forum takes the mick out of Firmino, but then turn around and say the exact things about Martial that scousers say to defend their man. For me, he and Rashford should compete for the left side with a proper no 9 needed. We are not winning the league or the CL with Martial as the main striker.

I just can't get my mind around why he has been so poor in front of goal this season. Like atleast with Rashford, you can bring up his back and shoulder injuries, even if you think he should still play better. I have not heard anything about any injuries with him, so can someone point out why his form has taken such a nosedive? I cannot reiterate this enough, we need him and Greenwood to find some semblance of form, if we are to win anything this season. Just depending on Bruno is a recipe for disaster.
Away from Martial, I will agree that Benzema is criminally underrated in general. Top 3 best strikers in the world currently for me.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
All I know is that the hold up play of Martial and Rashford used to be piss weak, pathetic even at times. Well that has completely changed. Total ballers now.

Martial will start scoring efficiently again. Its been a strange loss of form for sure though.
Martial has always been inconsistent with his hold-up play. He's fully capable of having absolutely brilliant games where defenders simply can't get the ball off him and he wins most of the clearances near him, but he's also capable of having absolute nightmares where he can't win anything. Like most things with him it's a mental aspect, which is the key thing that is going to decide whether he ultimately takes that step up to being truly top class. He has the ability, he just needs to show the hunger and self-confidence to always be up there making the most of it.

RedDevil@84

Its frustrating and also disappointing. Martial is known to be a cool finisher. Sometimes accused as lazy, not making the effort and all that, but never accused to be a poor finisher. It was just disappointing.
We already have Rashford who needs 3-4 chances to score one. We can't really afford Martial to be the same. That many chances are not going to come in every game.
Apart from his composure, he did lot of good though. Again, pretty much everyone did I guess.

Icemav

Martial has always been inconsistent with his hold-up play. He's fully capable of having absolutely brilliant games where defenders simply can't get the ball off him and he wins most of the clearances near him, but he's also capable of having absolute nightmares where he can't win anything. Like most things with him it's a mental aspect, which is the key thing that is going to decide whether he ultimately takes that step up to being truly top class. He has the ability, he just needs to show the hunger and self-confidence to always be up there making the most of it.
I am mostly referring to when he was younger, same for Rashford. Both are still inconsistent in the hold up play but they can also now be world class and terrorize the opposition even when receiving the ball facing their own goal. Previously they were weak as piss and often brushed aside or flopping like cowards, they may not have been as strong back then but now they fight hard also.

The team is definitely developing very well.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
His best performance this season by a mile, yet he misses two absolute sitters. Have to keep in mind though, he does very well to get in a position to miss those sitters.

I've been very critical of him lately, but have no problem with him if he plays like that

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If the team can score and create enough scoring chances per match and Martial contributes to it, I don't give a shit about his personnal goal tally. Is it annoying in certain matches ? Without a doubt yes but the big picture is very clear, he's an important compounent of our attack. I know it burns the insides of so-called United fans but at least OGS sees that way, personally I don't care where he plays, as a 9 or else, he needs to be on the pitch

amsoUG

I agree with sentiment but I don't think this is true at all. Benzo averaged around 20 goals every other season while Martial just had a career best 17. For me to accept this current version of Martial, he needs to bring this all round game all the time and we need a goal scoring threat at RW to compensate.
When Madrid was blazing in 3 consecutive seasons, here were Benzo's Stats in La Liga
Seasons > Appearances > Goals > Assists
16/17 > 29 > 11 Goals > 5
17/18 > 32 > 5 Goals > 11
18/19 > 36 > 21 Goals > 7

Guess what? The Spanish media did not bash him but rather recognised how much he brought to that team. Had he been in EPL, the press would go on non-stop about him.

Tony will be able to get the goals - he is talented enough to be able to find his scoring boots again.

georgipep

I attribute equal measures to the opponents in all games. Very aggressive and smart opponents will get the ball more often than ones who prefer to simply pressure him and try to catch him make a mistake.

As with everything else in football "it takes two to tango" and you're only as good as your opponent allows you to be. Even Messi has had quiet games when his marker would do a brilliant job.

meamth

19-20 32 games 17 goals
18-19 27 (9) 10 goals
17-18 30 (12) 9 goals
16-17 25 (7) 4 goals
15-16 31 (2) 11 goals

No way. He is not your average footballer you can just sell like that.

Martial has some confidence issues or his hunger to score made him think too much. Form will come to him soon.

To put into perspective he had 12 touches in the box last night, the man who brought others to play. Credits where its due.

Josep Dowling

19-20 32 games 17 goals
18-19 27 (9) 10 goals
17-18 30 (12) 9 goals
16-17 25 (7) 4 goals
15-16 31 (2) 11 goals

Little bit harsh given most of his career was on the left and Mourinho didn’t fancy him much. I think we can do better than Martial up front but really you can only look at this season and last season for stats as a CF.

Devil81

Has his place in our front three but I want a clinical finisher in the role he's playing.

I know it's unfair to compare but if Ruud Van Nistelrooy has those chances yesterday he'd have been taking home the match ball.

MalcolmTucker

Watching back the highlights, I feel people are being harsh and not taking into account Martial's part in creating the goalscoring opportunities. Both times he was slipped in with a defender jockeying him and he took him completely out.

People saying Lewandowski, Kane and any elite striker would take those chances but neither are as good as Martial one on one with a defender. If they got slipped in and got held up trying dribble their defender or trying to shoot through the defenders legs and it got blocked, no one would say it's a gilt (or guilt) edged chance. Sure Martial should have scored them and his finishing is horrendous at the moment but it was his excellent first touch that got him there, it's not like he shanked a tap in.

Obiorahking_

Judging from vitriol in this forum against Martial, you could’ve sworn the majority wasn’t old enough to remember Ronaldo not scoring for 8 league games straight and didn’t score in the CL until March in 2009, or RvP going through a similar 8/9 games scoreless run in his widely acknowledged as brilliant first season here.

He was clearly quite diabolical for a fair few games this season, and even now still low on confidence in front of goal, but his play has been steadily improving and it’s a matter of time until he goes on a streak again. There’s a valid discussion to be had about whether we can afford a similar bad patch every season with our starting striker, but the over the top criticisms against him this season seems largely driven by preconceived bias rather than objective assessment of the player. Looking at the posts about him the past 6 weeks or so, you’d have thought he’s about as good as Victor Anichebe.
Thi
When Madrid was blazing in 3 consecutive seasons, here were Benzo's Stats in La Liga
Seasons > Appearances > Goals > Assists
16/17 > 29 > 11 Goals > 5
17/18 > 32 > 5 Goals > 11
18/19 > 36 > 21 Goals > 7

Guess what? The Spanish media did not bash him but rather recognised how much he brought to that team. Had he been in EPL, the press would go on non-stop about him.

Tony will be able to get the goals - he is talented enough to be able to find his scoring boots again.
Ah, didn’t know that his goal scoring record was so low so fair point. Only thing I’ll say though to go back to my last point was that Real had a goal scoring threat in Ronaldo/Bale to compensate in away which we don’t currently have outside of Rashford who is still developing. I share your faith in Martial’s talent, and I really do hope he can at least replicate last seasons output.

LUC1f3R

Martial is essential for us with his hold up play. This really comes handy when we counter with pace (instance where he holds ball, wait for our pacy wingers and pass the ball). His finishing was good earlier but lately it is affected may be due to low confidence. But he do need to work on it because we may not get many chances in some games and need to kill the game with the chances we get.
My only issue with him is his predatory positioning. When a team plays low block, coming deep to receive the ball is not a solution. Wing play might work out but for that we need someone in the box for a tap in. Many a times last season, even when we get balls in the opponent box (6 yards out) there was none in the box for a simple tap-in. And we do need to work it out