Martin Ødegaard | Arsenal player

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would Odegaard and Valverde compete for the same spot ? I highly doubt it.
No and I find it weird how people who don't follow real madrid have this tendency to think of him as "odd man out" in our midfield. He's the only one of our young guys who is a lock to start for us for the next 5-6 years

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
No and I find it weird how people who don't follow real madrid have this tendency to think of him as "odd man out" in our midfield. He's the only one of our young guys who is a lock to start for us for the next 5-6 years

Yes I haven't watched Madrid but in my head he played RCM which Odegaard plays for us aswell. Seems thats not the case.
After Kroos/Modric how do you think Madrid would lineup?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes I haven't watched Madrid but in my head he played RCM which Odegaard plays for us aswell. Seems thats not the case.
After Kroos/Modric how do you think Madrid would lineup?
We aren't contemplating a post-Kroos yet. As of now we would have to sign someone

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
We aren't contemplating a post-Kroos yet. As of now we would have to sign someone
I haven't watched Real much this season; how is Kroos playing? Obviously peak Kroos was a third of one of the greatest midfields of all time. But Odegaard is now fulfilling his talent, so if Father Time has caught up with Kroos, then Odegaard may very have caught up with him, too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I haven't watched Real much this season; how is Kroos playing? Obviously peak Kroos was a third of one of the greatest midfields of all time. But Odegaard is now fulfilling his talent, so if Father Time has caught up with Kroos, then Odegaard may very have caught up with him, too.
Yeah, I'm not sure who's better right now. Kroos is still amazing but sometimes you can tell his legs aren't quite what they're used to be

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, I'm not sure who's better right now. Kroos is still amazing but sometimes you can tell his legs aren't quite what they're used to be
No worry. When Real Madrid come calling in the future Odegaard will jump ship right away, as other Arsenal fans keep insisting he is already better than your existing option.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The best player in the country, hands down.

A stupendous season personally by Odegaard which will go down in folklore if The Arsenal go on to win this league title.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Wild to think he has been around for a decade but is somehow only 25 and just entering his peak.

chomsky89

The only player to appear on multiple failed wonderkid-lists and later be on the 30 player short list for Ballon d'Or?

Alpha 1

Won't get the hype he deserves because he isn't a goalscorer like Haaland and because he isn't English like Saka/Foden et al.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sensational assist.

Still think KDB's one v Newcastle was better as there was so little to aim at to get the pass through to Bobb and it was last minute and 2-2 but Odegaard's isn't far behind.

A beautiful player to watch.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
The only world class player in that Arsenal team. You can tell he’s of a different level, even against Bayern half injured you just know he’s quality.

we really need to strengthen the squad next season with people similar to his level. This is the only way we can win the PL and progress further against the big boys in the CL.

we don’t need jack of all trades players or youth prospects.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What goal are we raving about here? I stopped paying attention after 2-0.

Anyway, superb player. Love watching him. He’s so, so good. Arsenal best player by some distance.

InfiniteBoredom

Madrid could’ve just kept him and save the 100m they spent on Bellingham.

The best attacking midfielder in the league, Arse got an absolute steal with that purchase.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

The best attacking midfielder in the league, Arse got an absolute steal with that purchase.
Completely different kind of player. Odegaard is the control type of midfielder.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Fantastic player.
I was very impressed of him in the first game against us. He ALWAYS wants the ball and alsmost always does smart things with it.

InfiniteBoredom

Completely different kind of player. Odegaard is the control type of midfielder.
Valverde Tchouameni Odegaard behind Mbappe Vini Rodrygo is more than fine, granted they might be a bit fecked without Bellingham’s goals this season but that’s €100m they could spend on a striker instead of just having Joselu.

Tbf, credits to Arteta for trusting and investing in him as well, wasn’t that hot in his initial loan but still bought and now he has flourished, a bit like Chelsea and KdB.

BorisManUtd

The only player to appear on multiple failed wonderkid-lists and later be on the 30 player short list for Ballon d'Or?
Was thinking the same watching the game tonight. But wasn't Mbappe on those kind of lists like 10 years ago as well?

VARsenal

Supports
Arsenal

Could argue he wouldn't have developed into the player he's become at Arsenal if he stayed at Madrid, they'd likely have loaned him out for a few more seasons and then bought for a reletively low price by one of those loan clubs (which incidentally happened anyway, just earlier and it was Arsenal).

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Was thinking the same watching the game tonight. But wasn't Mbappe on those kind of lists like 10 years ago as well?
Doubt Mbappe has ever been on a failed wonderkids list.

Not that Ødegaard should ever have been either, but football fans can be very fickle and especially in Norway people were very bitter when he didn't choose a Ajax/Dortmund type of move instead of Madrid. In hindsight he got a great football education without being exposed to too much senior football at a too young age when burnout could have been a serious threat for a guy that good at 15. His loan moves in Holland (Vitesse especially) and Sociedad was excellent and now he is genuinly one of the best midfielders on the planet.

The only baffling thing is how Norway don't have a national team coach that builds his attack around Ødegaard feeding the kind of passes he provided today into Haaland, but hopefully one day he can fully shine for his national team as well

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Im just going to enjoy being a Norwegian football fan the next decade because a group of players like this in Odegaard and Haaland (and Bobb, Nusa later) will only happen once in my lifetime

Red Stone

What goal are we raving about here? I stopped paying attention after 2-0.

Anyway, superb player. Love watching him. He’s so, so good. Arsenal best player by some distance.
The one people are raving about was for 3-0, but the one for 5-0 was pretty good too.

Fallon d'Floor

I'll always take players like Bernardo Silva and Ødegaard over Bruno Fernandes.

It's the Football IQ. The way they receive a pass, the body feints, awareness of space, ability to manipulate the ball in tight areas, etc.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
He is quite possibly the least lazy player I have seen in an Arsenal shirt. It's not just the running and commitment to put in that defensive shift. He is always looking or scanning with but of course especially without the ball. Always, putting a full shift in, and leads by example. Often organizes the press intelligently.

I have seen him compared to Ozil, but in truth he is the more complete player. Ozil could probably pull off that killer pass more consistently.

Speaking of which, he is not always got that consistency yet. That is what he needs to establish.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Magical player, up there with the best we've had in the recent past. Has the quality of a Santi in tight spaces and the eye for a pass like Mesut and Bergkamp did. Can still go missing sometimes but hopefully those sort of games can start disappearing if he has steel in the centre of midfield and doesn't have to cover all that space behind him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Or we could spend another 100m to get him back, and have both

Mike Smalling

Arsenal's best player by far, and one of the very best players in the league. He's a joy to watch. What a cnut.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
My memory might be rubbish but I feel like there aren't many young players who burst onto the scene as a 16-18 year old and then have a couple of years where you think the potential is gone and then they show that they truly were top quality. Most seem to fade away or carry that 18 year old momentum. I think that's testament to his mentality really.
Still a bit mesmerised by this in regards to his trajectory and career. He was top class last season and has been again. Ridiculously good footballer.

redNATION

He’ll either be KdBs replacement at City or our replacement for Bruno (if and when Ineos have us competing again), Arsenal won’t last long at the top and now that he’s had a taste of the big time he won’t stick around when Arsenal go back into their hole.

Mike Smalling

Agree. We bought the wrong players from Real Madrid.
Yeah, Arsenal have actually used the tactic of buying the surplus players from Madrid and Barcelona quite well, because they've gotten them at good ages. Ødegaard, Özil and Sanchez were all good transfers even if the latter two played in an unsuccessful period for Arsenal. Meanwhile, we take the old, the lame and the sickly at exorbitant prices.