Martin Ødegaard | Arsenal player

troylocker

Saka provides a lot more assists and handles the ball better I would say. But it’s close. Arsenal are fortunate to have their wings sorted for a long time, if they can keep fit and motivated.
The funny thing is that he shouldn't provide more assists. It's just that his teammates has finished off the chances he's created a lot more clinical than they have for Martinelli and Odegaard:

Saka: 11 assists
0,20 xA90 (expected assists per 90)
6,93 total xA over the 22/23 PL season
+4,07 overperformance from teammates (Odegard and Martinelli must take the credit by overperforming their xG massively this season)

Martinelli: 5 assists
0,30 xA90 (expected assists per 90)
9,35 total xA over the 22/23 PL season
-4,35 underperformance from teammates (Jesus and Nketiah must take most of the blame for underperforming their xG massively this season)

Odegaard: 7 assists
0,26 xA90 (expected assists per 90)
8,88 total xA over the 22/23 PL season
-1,88 underperformance from teammates (Jesus and Nketiah must take most of the blame for underperforming their xG massively this season)

Saka takes a lot more corners and crosses the ball more than the other two. Odegaard plays a lot more through balls and Martinelli is a mix of the two when it comes to chance creation.

Saka is also the least lethal of the 3 in front of goal:

Saka: 11 non penalty goals
0,25 npG90 (non penalty goals per 90)
8,87 total npxG over the 22/23 season total
+2,13 overperformance is really good, but:

Martinelli: 15 non penalty goals
0,33 npG90 (non penalty goals per 90)
10,54 total npxG over the 22/23 season total
+4,46 overperformance is even better, but:

Odegaard: 15 non penalty goals
0,26 npG90 (non penalty goals per 90)
9,09 total npxG over the 22/23 season total
+5,91 overperformance is really outstanding

Odegaard has done this from his midfield position and is equal with the record for most non penalty goals scored from a midfielder ever in the PL with a game in hand.

Saka has the lowest goalthreat of all three, and I really can't see why he's on penalties with a 6/9 record.
Of all Arsenals attackers + Odegaard, Saka has the lowest expected non penalty goalinvolvements per 90:

Nketiah: 0,89 npxG+A90
Jesus: 0,83 npxG+A90
Martinell: 0,63 npxG+A90
Trossard: 0,60 npxG+A90
Odegaard: 0,52 npxG+A90
Saka: 0,45 npxG+A90

When it comes to dribbling this season:
Saka: 157 attempts, 59 successful (37,6% successrate)
Martinelli: 132 attempts, 59 successful (44,7% successrate)
Odegaard: 80 attempts, 45 successful (56,7% successrate)

Defensively Saka is a monster though:
Saka: 32 tackles won, 38 blocks and 14 interceptions
Martinelli: 18 tackles won, 24 blocks and 9 interceptions
Odegaard: 22 tackles won, 20 blocks and 6 interceptions

Arsenal is lucky to have them. Great young players!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The funny thing is that he shouldn't provide more assists. It's just that his teammates has finished off the chances he's created a lot more clinical than they have for Martinelli and Odegaard:

Saka: 11 assists
0,20 xA90 (expected assists per 90)
6,93 total xA over the 22/23 PL season
+4,07 overperformance from teammates (Odegard and Martinelli must take the credit by overperforming their xG massively this season)

Martinelli: 5 assists
0,30 xA90 (expected assists per 90)
9,35 total xA over the 22/23 PL season
-4,35 underperformance from teammates (Jesus and Nketiah must take most of the blame for underperforming their xG massively this season)

Odegaard: 7 assists
0,26 xA90 (expected assists per 90)
8,88 total xA over the 22/23 PL season
-1,88 underperformance from teammates (Jesus and Nketiah must take most of the blame for underperforming their xG massively this season)

Saka takes a lot more corners and crosses the ball more than the other two. Odegaard plays a lot more through balls and Martinelli is a mix of the two when it comes to chance creation.

Saka is also the least lethal of the 3 in front of goal:

Saka: 11 non penalty goals
0,25 npG90 (non penalty goals per 90)
8,87 total npxG over the 22/23 season total
+2,13 overperformance is really good, but:

Martinelli: 15 non penalty goals
0,33 npG90 (non penalty goals per 90)
10,54 total npxG over the 22/23 season total
+4,46 overperformance is even better, but:

Odegaard: 15 non penalty goals
0,26 npG90 (non penalty goals per 90)
9,09 total npxG over the 22/23 season total
+5,91 overperformance is really outstanding

Odegaard has done this from his midfield position and is equal with the record for most non penalty goals scored from a midfielder ever in the PL with a game in hand.

Saka has the lowest goalthreat of all three, and I really can't see why he's on penalties with a 6/9 record.
Of all Arsenals attackers + Odegaard, Saka has the lowest expected non penalty goalinvolvements per 90:

Nketiah: 0,89 npxG+A90
Jesus: 0,83 npxG+A90
Martinell: 0,63 npxG+A90
Trossard: 0,60 npxG+A90
Odegaard: 0,52 npxG+A90
Saka: 0,45 npxG+A90

When it comes to dribbling this season:
Saka: 157 attempts, 59 successful (37,6% successrate)
Martinelli: 132 attempts, 59 successful (44,7% successrate)
Odegaard: 80 attempts, 45 successful (56,7% successrate)

Defensively Saka is a monster though:
Saka: 32 tackles won, 38 blocks and 14 interceptions
Martinelli: 18 tackles won, 24 blocks and 9 interceptions
Odegaard: 22 tackles won, 20 blocks and 6 interceptions

Arsenal is lucky to have them. Great young players!
From what I have seen Saka is head and shoulders above Martinelli in the expected Assists column.

Where are these stats from as some of them seem to be way off.

But anyhow,basing purely on statistics will heed no results,
as you say they are all very good players.
Saka however is a far better all round player than Martinelli, whose decision making still isn't great in comparison to Saka for me.

troylocker

From what I have seen Saka is head and shoulders above Martinelli in the expected Assists column.

Where are these stats from as some of them seem to be way off.

But anyhow,basing purely on statistics will heed no results,
as you say they are all very good players.
Saka however is a far better all round player than Martinelli, whose decision making still isn't great in comparison to Saka for me.
He's not.
I get my xG, npxG and xA numbers from understat, but FPL and FBref also have Saka well behind Martinelli in xA and xA90. Saka generates a lot more of his xA from corners, deal ball action and crosses than the other two (Martinelli and Odegaard), but overall the two others are generating higher xAs. Saka is more involved in the build up and the defense than Martinelli though and I agree Saka seems more complete than Martinelli.

MonsieurGooner

Supports
Arsenal
I was shocked when you sold him: he is modric 2.0. Perfect Heir. You must have a buy back option
of course they dont. As if we would agree to that. 35m euros was a fair price for a player Real Madrid didnt want.

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Top news, this is something we never achieved during Wenger Era. We had to strip and rebuild our core every few years. Extension for Arteta and Ben White will be next.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
It's a fecking relief to actually have our best players commit their futures to us after what we've seen for the last 20 years.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Good god what a wasted talent and career, going to Real Madrid really ruined him as a teenager, worst decision of his life.:lol:

zaafi

Good god what a wasted talent and career, going to Real Madrid really ruined him as a teenager, worst decision of his life.:lol:
To be fair, he did waste years there. Ultimately, a player with his talent and mentality is always going to make it, even if it will be a bit later than expected.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
:drool:

What a player, so glad he's extended his contract.

It's a fecking relief to actually have our best players commit their futures to us after what we've seen for the last 20 years.
What amazes me is how little drama there's been. I genuinely wasn't expecting all of Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, and Odegaard to have extended their deals this easily

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
:drool:

What a player, so glad he's extended his contract.

What amazes me is how little drama there's been. I genuinely wasn't expecting all of Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, and Odegaard to have extended their deals this easily

Club has done a good job of keeping this core united and dedicated. What I love the most about our attacking players is the commitment to put in that defensive work too. We have had some lazy players in the past but it is great to see these guys working so hard. When I see Odegaard taken off he is knackered. Top class player!

Great to have them all tied down long term.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Club has done a good job of keeping this core united and dedicated. What I love the most about our attacking players is the commitment to put in that defensive work too. We have had some lazy players in the past but it is great to see these guys working so hard. When I see Odegaard taken off he is knackered. Top class player!

Great to have them all tied down long term.
Yeah he never stops pressing. He's like an Ozil that's not lazy and can shoot

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah he never stops pressing. He's like an Ozil that's not lazy and can shoot
With far less vision. Ozil had his flaws but he is the only player on earth who was on the same league as Messi in terms of vision (only vision). He had those sharingan eyes.

But yes I would always pick Odegaard over Ozil because of overall impact to the team in this day and age of pressing.

Joel Miller

I think he’s an excellent player. For a while I thought it might not work out for him there but he’s really settled and is a key part of the team now. He really chips in with the goals too.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Incredible incredible player. That assist against a rock solid Porto defence was just *chef's kiss*.

One of the best in Europe currently?

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Only him and Raya played well yesterday. Rest all were half asleep.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Truly, the one that got away. And for what :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Bellingham? :wenger: I jest. I guess madrid is probably the most difficult club for a youngster to break through into it. They need to have a lot of patience being on the fringes and biding their time. I’m sure you’ll be able to sign him further down the line again, if you ever became interested.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Not really. It is all about timing, just like city lost Palmer. These players needed first team football at the time and their clubs could not offer it because they have better options in the team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bellingham? :wenger: I jest. I guess madrid is probably the most difficult club for a youngster to break through into it. They need to have a lot of patience being on the fringes and biding their time. I’m sure you’ll be able to sign him further down the line again, if you ever became interested.
He Who Shall Not Be Named But Everybody Says We're Gonna Sign Him This Time

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not really. It is all about timing, just like city lost Palmer. These players needed first team football at the time and their clubs could not offer it because they have better options in the team.
We definitely could offer him first team football, we just needed the money

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He Who Shall Not Be Named But Everybody Says Wer're Gonna Sign Him This Time
He needs Real Madrid more than Real Madrid needs him this time on paper, but La Liga needs a super star after Messi and Ronaldo's departure.

Jev

It was probably one of the best assists I’ve seen. That piece of footwork before seeing and executing such a pass. Exquisite player.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If I pull something like that in futsal, I always make sure to remind my friends for months but to do in the CL... Such a fluid motion to it
YES. Now let me tell you all about that time I reenacted the Bergkamp goal in a futsal game. It was actually even better because I made the ball go over the defender(who was like 2.10 meters tall!) instead of around and then I humilated the goalkeeper too by scoring between his legs. It was a game winning goal too! Truly the greatest moment in futsal history

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
YES. Now let me tell you all about that time I reenacted the Bergkamp goal in a futsal game. It was actually even better because I made the ball go over the defender(who was like 2.10 meters tall!) instead of around and then I humilated the goalkeeper too by scoring between his legs. It was a game winning goal too! Truly the greatest moment in futsal history
There's a thread for this. Wait let me dig it out for you.

TheRedHearted

Incredible incredible player. That assist against a rock solid Porto defence was just *chef's kiss*.

One of the best in Europe currently?
If only we signed him instead of bruno? Or maybe if we just handled Bruno correctly
Best player in the league. He is engine and brain in Arsenal.
Wish we had him here
He Who Shall Not Be Named But Everybody Says We're Gonna Sign Him This Time
Who?
He needs Real Madrid more than Real Madrid needs him this time on paper, but La Liga needs a super star after Messi and Ronaldo's departure.
Who are you lot talking about

Dansk

I remember when he went to Real Madrid at like 15, got loaned out repeatedly and never really played for them, and everyone supposed he had squandered his potential by not going to Ajax or Dortmund or someplace like that. The general consensus was that he could clearly have become something if he had taken the time to develop at a typical youth development club, but he instead went straight from some lean-to in the woods of Norway to Real Madrid just because the temptation was too great, and so he would never get the chance to realize his talent.

slored1

Crazy how he actually lived to his potential. One of the best midfielders in Europe and I love how dynamic he is with the ball, always on the move, always in the pockets. Might be the best presser in the Arsenal team as well.

JogaBonitoRooney

I remember watching his highlights reel on Vimeo when he was 15, nothing was available on YouTube yet.

He looked good but I didn't think he'd live up to the hype because it was in the Norwegian league and most players hyped up at when they're still so raw don't usually come good. It looks like he could become one of the best in his generation if things go right for him.