Martin Ødegaard | Arsenal player

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I am a little sad that after so many years he won´t be able to succeed at Madrid.
Of the electric boy who did not stop dribbling, I think there is little left. At least when I see him, he seems like another player .
I understand that he wanted to leave Madrid if he gets bad vibes, although his stampede in the middle of the last season was a bit strange. At Arsenal at some point he will also have competition.

From Zidane's departure I saw positively the fact of having a proven coach who gives us a second opinion of the young players. The fact that both Zidane first and Ancelotti later have not shown interest in retaining him (Ancelotti told him that he had many players ahead of him) perhaps shows that he does not give the level.

He played a lot for Castilla, and was trained like the rest. If I'm not mistaken, the Madrid academy is the one with the most players in the main leagues, so it doesn´t work so bad.

Valverde, now untouchable and about to get a better contract,played with him at Castilla and had a tough loan in segunda

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
He hasn't yet put his foot on the Emirates grass after the transfer and is just 22. From reading this thread I have impression of Özegawr as a washed up veteran of 28. That he supposedly "failed" at Madrid doesn't mean much, as a lot of factors contributed. Hopefully his jumpers knee is completely healed, and I suppose it is since Arsenal bought him. Also hope he's ready for the PL mentally, as the impression is in some matches he hide himself. Now he is out of the shadows and it's up to him to prove himself.

Last edited:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
So hpw do people think Arteta will line up now with everybody fit? Difficult to fit Odegaard / Saka / ESR / Auba / Pepe into the same team.
Pepe gets moved to striker if Auba doesn't recover his form I think. But both ESR and Odegaard are injury prone so mostly it'll be one of them at 10.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
So hpw do people think Arteta will line up now with everybody fit? Difficult to fit Odegaard / Saka / ESR / Auba / Pepe into the same team.
Odegaard & Smith-Rowe have shown in flashes they can link up well together. Smith-Rowe is a little more dynamic as well, so think he might play left in a Grealish type role & float inside with Tierney overlapping, Odegaard centre & Saka right. Pepe & Martinelli will slot in the wide slots as as well, is a squad game after all.

OleGunnar20

Pepe gets moved to striker if Auba doesn't recover his form I think. But both ESR and Odegaard are injury prone so mostly it'll be one of them at 10.
Odegaard & Smith-Rowe have shown in flashes they can link up well together. Smith-Rowe is a little more dynamic as well, so think he might play left in a Grealish type role & float inside with Tierney overlapping, Odegaard centre & Saka right. Pepe & Martinelli will slot in the wide slots as as well, is a squad game after all.
Interesting, I'd forgotten all about Martinelli. What about Lacazette? Surplus?

Looks a decent collection of attackers to be fair, though Arteta certainly isn't the guy to bring it all together imo.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I knew I would get mocked by that statement, and judging by how he has developed these last few years, i doubt he will ever reach that level. But yes he was ridiculously talented.
He was very good when he played for Arsenal the 3 months he was here, did you watch him. Pretty much Bruno level, may even be better.. Was also great with Sociedad. I don't know why people that have actually watched him play would need tone it down just because you're in a Utd forum.

Redfrog

He was very good when he played for Arsenal the 3 months he was here, did you watch him. Pretty much Bruno level, may even be better.. Was also great with Sociedad. I don't know why people that have actually watched him play would need tone it down just because you're in a Utd forum.
If he was Bruno level, you never would have finished 8th !
Bruno lifted all the team when he arrived and you compare Odegaard with him.
But I guess it’s wishful thinking from an Arsenal fan…

Halftrack

He showed glimpses of what he can do, but Bruno's level or maybe even better? That's pure fantasy. Unless you mean that he was as good as Bruno in that three month time-frame, in which case, congrats on him being as good as an off-form Bruno.

Well, he was only there for a few months, and also picked up an injury during his stay. Arsenal did average 2 points per match in those 10 matches where Ødegaard played more than 45 minutes. That would be 76 points in a full season, so he did make a big impact, even while not being close to his full potential.

Redfrog

Well, he was only there for a few months, and also picked up an injury during his stay. Arsenal did average 2 points per match in those 10 matches where Ødegaard played more than 45 minutes. That would be 76 points in a full season, so he did make a big impact, even while not being close to his full potential.
Think what you wish. But saying he is as good as Bruno, one of the best players in the league with fantastic stats is just ridiculous, even more so when your team is mid table.

klsv

An Arsenal fan and a Norwegian walk into RedCafe...

Don't think it's worth discussing Ødegaard being Bruno and KDB level with these.

Think what you wish. But saying he is as good as Bruno, one of the best players in the league with fantastic stats is just ridiculous, even more so when your team is mid table.
In never did. Said his true potential is up there with Bruno, but doubt he will ever reach that level.

Got these same comments
An Arsenal fan and a Norwegian walk into RedCafe...

Don't think it's worth discussing Ødegaard being Bruno and KDB level with these.
Got these same comments when i wrote my first post on Redcafe, saying Utd should sign this young Norwegian with insane potential. His name was Haaland.

klsv

Got these same comments

Got these same comments when i wrote my first post on Redcafe, saying Utd should sign this young Norwegian with insane potential. His name was Haaland.
Going by your join date, this post about Haaland you mentioned was a month before he joined Dortmund from Salzburg, so it wasn't like you came over here with some super ITK scout knowledge.

Don't worry, I get it. I'm from Estonia, when Poom and Klavan joined their PL teams I also thought they had Schmeichel and Carragher levels of talent.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
But I guess it’s wishful thinking from an Arsenal fan…
I'm too lazy to see the points lift in Bruno's half season here, but I suspect Odegaard caused a similar lift pointswise. Don't forget Arsenal were 15 points from 15 matches or something at one point last season. Bruno has superior fitness than Ode, I'll give him that. Don't think he's been out for longer than 1 match during his time at Utd.

Going by your join date, this post about Haaland you mentioned was a month before he joined Dortmund from Salzburg, so it wasn't like you came over here with some super ITK scout knowledge.

Don't worry, I get it. I'm from Estonia, when Poom and Klavan joined their PL teams I also thought they had Schmeichel and Carragher levels of talent.
Haaland and Ødegaard both have talent enough to dominate in PL. I've been very clear that players like Ajer and Berge, whose names are sometimes brought up here, are no where near utd level. So I'm not hyping just because they are Norwegian.

Norway has a horrible record of bringing up quality players, it just happens that the two biggest talents to ever come from our country, came up with two years between them. One seems to get max out of his potential (Haaland),the other one is struggeling (Ødegaard). But as I said in my first post: If someone somehow can manage to unlock his true potential, he is Bruno/KdB-level. Incredibly gifted.

Just because you’ve said it twice and now with bold italics, doesn’t make it any less laughable.
How can you be so sure, though? How much have you seen of Ødegaard? Many experts (spanish expert) held 21 year old Ødegaard as the second best player in La Liga 19/20, behind Messi, before his jumpers knee set a stop to his season.

Oh wow, you said United should sign him to everyone at the same time Ole was flying over to convince him and the majority of the forum desperately wanted him, well done. How is that relevant here?

How can you be so sure, though? How much have you seen of Ødegaard? Many experts (spanish expert) held 21 year old Ødegaard as the second best player in La Liga 19/20, behind Messi, before his jumpers knee set a stop to his season.
No they didn’t, those very few who got carried away can be compared with the English experts that got carried away by Januzaj and a dozen other youngsters after a decent spell.

No-one can be sure that any player can’t suddenly become KDB good, but we’re talking about a player who is that good it’s extremely extremely unlikely and a laughable pointless comment. Kinda like claiming Ravel at 17 had the potential to be as good as Gazza.

Oh wow, you said United should sign him to everyone at the same time Ole was flying over to convince him and the majority of the forum desperately wanted him, well done. How is that relevant here?
Well, a little before that. And even though his talents where well known, people still was doing the Norwegian hyping Norwegian, farmers league, Martial is better, and so on.
Point is, maybe us that has followed these players since they where 15/16, actually know a bit more about their potential, than people who have seen them in 3 matches or something.

FatTails

Good player and in today’s market, that’s a good deal. Hope he does well as it’s been frustrating for him at RM.

Well, a little before that. And even though his talents where well known, people still was doing the Norwegian hyping Norwegian, farmers league, Martial is better, and so on.
Point is, maybe us that has followed these players since they where 15/16, actually know a bit more about their potential, than people who have seen them in 3 matches or something.
I’d argue you joined the forum because of Haaland and United’s strong interest in him, which was revealed about a month before you joined.
Say what you want but the vast majority of the forum desperately wanted him at that point, you were in the majority not the minority in bigging him up.

You’re certainly in the minority this time though claiming Ødegaard has the potential to be as good as KdB.

Don’t get me wrong here, I think it’s a good move for him to finally settle in his career at a club where he’ll play and feel at home (years too late really), and I think he’ll do well.

You’re certainly in the minority this time though claiming he has the potential to be as good as KdB.
Yes certainly is, don't think most Norwegians would agree with me on that one either.
For Arsenal, they need to work on his physics and built up his confidence. I think it's 50/50 injuries/mental that is holding him back. If they can fix him, they got themselves a real gem.

Suedesi

It's a good purchase for Arsenal, limited downside and if he kicks on they've got a good player in an area they're currently lacking.

Interesting that we were never linked with him with us having a Norwegian manager and constantly being linked with all and sundry.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Yet RM sold him for how much?
After what I understand, RM fans thought the price was far too low. Also RM needed money and had to find a solution.

Anyway, Haaland cost less when he went from Salzburg. Did he not have potential either?

I do not judge players by their prices. That would be stupid.

Martins potential is high. One have to be blind if one can not see that. What the future holds though, no one can say. If he can keep injury free and get back to the level he had in 2019 he will be a success though, that is for certain.

Anyway, Haaland cost less when he went from Salzburg. Did he not have potential either?
Salzburg - Real Madrid

Haaland also had a low release clause due to playing for such a club/league.

One guy is claiming Real just flogged a guy that cheap that “many experts thought was the second best player in La Liga” a couple of seasons back.

Not quite the same scenario.

Suedesi

After what I understand, RM fans thought the price was far too low. Also RM needed money and had to find a solution.

I do not judge players by their prices. That would be stupid.

Martins potential is high. One have to be blind if one can not see that. What the future holds though, no one can say. If he can keep injury free and get back to the level he had in 2019 he will be a success though, that is for certain.
You missed the point. The other guy was claiming that he was the best player in the league after to Messi, so the fact that Real Madrid 1) sold him 2) sold him cheap, kinda invalidates that claim.

I have nothing against the player, hope he achieves his potential at Arsenal.