Martin Ødegaard | Arsenal player

hungryhippo

He's been struggling with the knee injury he picked up at La Real.

I think a lot of people are unfair. No matter how much you're touted as a 15 year old, playing as good as he did in La Liga for La Real and ending up at Arsenal even in its current state does not constitute failure in any shape or form. That is basically making it. I do agree he shouldn't have gone to Real Madrid at that age, but it wasn't necessarily a horrible move either.

It is disappointing though that he hasn't been able to find his La Real level again after the injury. Whether that is due to injury, form or mental stuff, who knows. He has shown it in spells.

He's too passive on the ball too often. And unfortunately way too one-footed, which causes him to lose the ball too often. I believe he's an emotional player that needs safety and stability and confidence. This should bring that and hopefully will bring out the best in him (saying as a norwegian). His through balls and vision is amazing.

He's not good enough for clubs like United and Real Madrid, but had/has the potential.

Reactions: Ødegaard

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's great at getting the ball to open teammates in advanced positions. A useful skill, but he adds nothing else. Will be interesting to see how he develops from here

At la real he was basically a (very)poor man's Ozil. Still good given his age(and how astonishingly good Ozil was) mind, but hardly the stuff of legend

Hope the knee issue doesn't end up ruining his career and he makes it. That said, not a player i'm particularly arsed about selling.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Such a narrow minded view point.

So far we've:

- Upgraded Ryan with Ramsdale (not worth the fee, but it's a homegrown upgrade so we will see)
- Upgraded Luiz with White (again, too expensive but we'll see)
- Upgraded Kolasinac with Tavares (not too hard to get better on)
- Replaced Ceballos with Lakonga, who has looked quite good so far.
- Signed Odegaard permanently for £30m, which is a great fee. You can mock all you want but we improved A LOT (statistically and fluidly) with him in the team, and he is a leader.

We've spent £130m on upgrading the players who have left the club and needed to be upgraded. People can talk about money all they want, but realistically out of £130, we overpaid probably by £25m (£10m Ramsdale, £15m White). Clubs waste £25m on signings all the time..

And for anyone who says, we could have used that money elsewhere, the answer is no we couldn't have. We can't buy a RB until we sell one of the 4 we have, and the same story for the striker position. The issue is nobody wants to buy. So the club has done the best it can for now until more sales are met.

It's so funny because there's a narrative that Arsenal are broke and don't spend money. Then we finally spend money on some promising players, and all of a sudden we've spent too much.
You could of just played Saliba instead of buying Ben White,
You could of bought Onana who is a better GK than what you have and signed Mat Ryan on a free.
Tavares the LB who Arteta brought on as a RB in the Brentford game despite having Ainsley and Cedric who Arteta bought both on the bench.
Lakonga has looked good, but you could of just tried Torreria or Guendhouzi.
Willock did more on loan at Newcastle than Odegaard did with you guys.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Honestly, I think he made a big mistake leaving Real Madrid. Modric is 35, Kroos is 31, Isco is just there because he's Spanish but it's far from being competition. All of these players are thinking more about a switch or retirement.

Arsenal are not playing Champions League, are very under-developed, mis-managed and will need at least a couple years to return to be a decent Premier League elite team. Í think he's in the way of becoming Ozil 2.0.

meamth

What is weird about this?

Arsenal is his stepping up club, he'll move once he fulfil his potential..

RedDevilPure

Honestly, I think he made a big mistake leaving Real Madrid. Modric is 35, Kroos is 31, Isco is just there because he's Spanish but it's far from being competition. All of these players are thinking more about a switch or retirement.

Arsenal are not playing Champions League, are very under-developed, mis-managed and will need at least a couple years to return to be a decent Premier League elite team. Í think he's in the way of becoming Ozil 2.0.
I actually thought he made a big mistake moving to Real Madrid. Obviously he and his family have prioritized money over his career. I have no doubt that if he had moved to Dortmund, he would have developed into a much better player like Haaland and Sancho. Dortmund has proven time and again they are the best in the world at developing young players. The formative years of a footballer is the most crucial for their development. Real Madrid was just a step too big for him and he didn't get enough playing time.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So you sell Ozil and get this guy ? I understand the wages part but still

Red Royal

Finally a good move for his career after a tonne of shit ones.
Interesting to see if he can kick on now or if this is his level.
You have to respect him for moving to get playing time rather than hang around the RM squad. He probably realised he is not (yet) ready to make it at Madrid. Wish some of our own squad players would take note.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I genuinely can't understand why people seem to think this is a good signing. He was so vanilla at Arsenal.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He hasn’t been underwhelming at all, I think we will see a player this year.

He’s only 22, roughly the same price we paid for Amad, it’s a brilliant deal, I’d rather have Odegaard then Amad.

He’s shown how good he can be and has been brilliant in la liga in patches, he now has to do it consistently.
He’s at his level. Mid table.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You're aware that he scored those league goals.. from the LW..

Also aware we've tried him up top on his own, and it hasn't worked well?
It was a completely different role though. What Arteta is asking him to do isn’t working, and that’s very clear from his positioning and movement in game. It’s a completely different role and one of the reasons I wonder if Arteta knows what he is doing.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Høme? Why do social media accounts have to be so cringe? :rolleyes:
The Ø letter is so excotic. Why not just go 'Velkommen hjem' instead of making me want to scrub my eyes with glass

Here's for you foreigners, ÆØÅ, have fun

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It's harsh criticizing a player for not being Luka Modric or Toni Kroos.

Best of luck, Martin.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
He's a player that will benefit a lot from stability, being a regular and having the faith of the club. 7 clubs since 2015 is just too much for a young player. Looking forward to see what stability and confidence will do for him. Hopefully his new club won't be a place of chaos halfway into the season.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
What is weird about this?
Arsenal is his stepping up club, he'll move once he fulfil his potential..
This would have been a great strategy if this was Wenger's Arsenal. Not so much in post-Wenger Arsenal.

AJ VII

As a Norwegian I must say this is a really underwhelming move for him, going to a midtable PL club that is going nowhere under Arteta.

When he made the mistake by going to Real in the first place, he should at least give it a try to break through this year before moving to a comfy no man's land club. It is kinda worrying that he is taking the easy way out, insted of fighting for a spot in a club where he would win titles.

I dont understand Arsenal's transfer policy either, they have payed 130m£ this summer and in reality not improved the team enough to defend the large amount. The Ødegaard deal is probably the only good deal for them, but is the point to replace ESR which looks very promising, or is he ment to play LW instead of 70m£ Pepe?

At least he is still young enough to develop further in a competativ league, and maybe in 3-5 years time make another move to a top team.

Castia

Thought he was pretty average last season in all honesty

OleGunnar20

So hpw do people think Arteta will line up now with everybody fit? Difficult to fit Odegaard / Saka / ESR / Auba / Pepe into the same team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is he better right now than that Buendia chap or have Villa got thr better player?