Martin Ødegaard

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Yep. We ruined that Ronaldo lad.
He has been 3 years older when he made his move...and quite more refined, whith a big fee on his back which helped justifying playing him. Be honest, how many of all the foreign youth (and I mean players which moved when they were 14-16) really made it in England? There have been quite a lot storys in Germany about players whom wasted their potential in english youth academies.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Dunno, just seems like a player Barca would be in for.
You're not far off. Norwegian press has reported Barca interest in him and even sent some scouts to check him out. Obviously he's too young for first team level but the La Masia is appealing to many youngsters.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
No point in him leaving his club anytime soon. No top club will give consistent first team Football to a 16 year old. Better for him to get first team Football in Norway that to play on the youth team elsewhere.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
No he wouldn't. Teams with money to burn like yourselves, Chelsea and Real just don't give young players a chance no matter how talented they are. Nastasic was very highly rated when he joined a few summers back and now it looks like he is out the door. I remember when Micah Richards came on the scene I thought he would become a fantastic CB or RB but then along came all the money and that put an end to that. It's a shame as 10 years ago or so City were producing lots of good talents and were giving them opportunities as they didn't have the money to buy proven superstars like they do now.

I'm not just saying this because ye are one of our rivals either. I would totally understand if Odegaard ended up at the likes of Arsenal or Liverpool as they are teams that have proven over the years that they are willing to give youngsters a chance. However if he joins the likes of City, Chelsea or Real his career will likely have stalled by the time he reaches 20.
Injuries stalled Micah's career. Nothing to do with City. We haven't spent money on a single right-back since Mansour took over the club.

Nastasic had injury problems last season and Demichelis form kept him out the side. I rate him but the people at City don't seem to, he has had his chances though. Again, it's down to an issue of the player's ability.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Injuries stalled Micah's career. Nothing to do with City. We haven't spent money on a single right-back since Mansour took over the club.

Nastasic had injury problems last season and Demichelis form kept him out the side. I rate him but the people at City don't seem to, he has had his chances though. Again, it's down to an issue of the player's ability.
Zabaleta signed a day before Mansour took over, I'm sure the club knew at that point they were about to be mega rich.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Zabaleta signed a day before Mansour took over, I'm sure the club knew at that point they were about to be mega rich.
No, the money spent on Zabaleta was not Mansour's. Besides, one right back signed for £6.5m in the space of 6 years is hardly an example of City importing talent at the cost of a homegrown player. Richards has struggled with injuries, the club has given him every chance to fulfil his potential.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
After watching that video clip again, it's struck me what a beautiful country Norway must be to play football in.

I know some of the pitches are artificial, but they look gorgeous in the summer sunshine.
A lesser version of Iceland...

I'd take better weather to play football in any day. The scenery really doesn't matter when you're practicing or playing.

quackattack

Weather in Stryn must be completely different then :wenger:

[SPOILER/]
I assume this is not from the last week, however it could represent the summer this year, but as we all know, summer is always too short in Norway...

quackattack

After watching that video clip again, it's struck me what a beautiful country Norway must be to play football in.

I know some of the pitches are artificial, but they look gorgeous in the summer sunshine.
Indeed. Don't forget that MOSTLY this is what to expect in Norway...

quackattack

The Norwegian Tourism Board must love this thread! :p
I find Norway/norwegian nature very beautiful, but apart from a few spectacular sights (which surely is contested by many other places in the world) there is nothing special about Norway. Oh, almost forgot that there is...Exceptionally expensive for tourists/foreigners! (unless you are a multi millionair).

Redo91

I find Norway/norwegian nature very beautiful, but apart from a few spectacular sights (which surely is contested by many other places in the world) there is nothing special about Norway. Oh, almost forgot that there is...Exceptionally expensive for tourists/foreigners! (unless you are a multi millionair).
It does look like a beautiful country but ya I have heard it's crazy expensive.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
It does look like a beautiful country but ya I have heard it's crazy expensive.
Honestly, it became cheaper in recent years. The Euro keeping it's height helped a lot, especially compared to the old D-Mark times. It's expensive, yes, but not more expensive then Bavaria (where I live) or Austria and much cheaper then Switzerland, for example. It becomes more expensive tje more you move north, though. But everything south of Trondheim is acceptable.

quackattack

Honestly, it became cheaper in recent years. The Euro keeping it's height helped a lot, especially compared to the old D-Mark times. It's expensive, yes, but not more expensive then Bavaria (where I live) or Austria and much cheaper then Switzerland, for example. It becomes more expensive tje more you move north, though. But everything south of Trondheim is acceptable.
Prices is pretty much the same in the entire country (as far as my experiance goes). I believe the biggest shock for some foreigners is the price on beer/alcohol and/or tobaco. As well as general eating/drinking...BTW, this is heavily off topic, should we not create a country thread instead?

Harmony Row

Yeah, prices in Norway are definitely an eye-opener, especially for a thrifty Scot like myself. My pal and I stepped off a flight and headed to the city centre for a drink. The first thing that greeted us on arriving at Oslo's central station was a skirmish between some people (immigrants) and the police. But that wasn't the most shocking thing that afternoon - the price of food and drink was. We had our first pints in a sidewalk cafe, and for two it cost us about £16-18. We went to the pier (Stranden?) and had a bite to eat, with a pizza costing about £20 and the burger £25. Chewing gum was also prohibitively expensive. Edit - This was back in 2007.

OT - Good luck to Odegaard. I hope he does well. Seems like an exciting player - and confident too. You'd have to believe in yourself to make the kind of impact he has so far in Norway. Hope they don't play him in every game at this stage in his development, because sometimes it is better to allow the body and mind to adapt gradually to a competitive endeavour like football. He's still growing and learning, of course.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Yeah, prices in Norway are definitely an eye-opener, especially for a thrifty Scot like myself. My pal and I stepped off a flight and headed to the city centre for a drink. The first thing that greeted us on arriving at Oslo's central station was a skirmish between some people (immigrants) and the police. But that wasn't the most shocking thing that afternoon - the price of food and drink was. We had our first pints in a sidewalk cafe, and for two it cost us about £16-18. We went to the pier (Stranden?) and had a bite to eat, with a pizza costing about £20 and the burger £25. Chewing gum was also prohibitively expensive. Edit - This was back in 2007.

OT - Good luck to Odegaard. I hope he does well. Seems like an exciting player - and confident too. You'd have to believe in yourself to make the kind of impact he has so far in Norway. Hope they don't play him in every game at this stage in his development, because sometimes it is better to allow the body and mind to adapt gradually to a competitive endeavour like football. He's still growing and learning, of course.
One positive for us Norwegians is when we go abroad, prices won't shock us. Everything is expensive from a tourists point of view but we're so used to it.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Reminded me of Van Persie with his dribbling and running style.

Eriku

First Dæhli pops up, now this kid starts making huge waves, and he's only bleedin' 15! Clearly the artificial turfs and the youtube age is paying dividends. I really hope that he, Dæhli, and the likes of Johansen can form a core of players who wouldn't look out of place in most (if any) sides, and can carry us to our first tournament since 2000. That would be ace!

Really excited to see how this lad develops. Hopefully he takes to international football like a duck to water. That's one of the things that astonishes me the most about Dæhli, that he seems to find his feet at any level you'd care to throw him into.

Long way from age 15 and an exciting player to being dedicated through your teens, well into your adult years and making good on your potential, but I hope he keeps it up!

Cantona'sCollar

I'd love to go and see a match at Molde.

When I traveled through Norway, I was lucky enough to visit this area & walk around the stadium. I didn't watch a game, unfortunately. Truly amazing country, the most beautiful I have ever seen (I have been all over the world) - Canada on steroids, if you will.

This Odegaard kid looks amazing. His running style is a little bit like a young Kaka.

quackattack

Just imagine being a 15 year old walking into school as a top flight footballer and soon to be senior capped international. Must feel like a fecking boss.
Will be paramount for him to keep his feet on the ground, but at the same time know that he is full of potential. Will be interesting to see in the future.

Brightonian

I assume this is not from the last week, however it could represent the summer this year, but as we all know, summer is always too short in Norway...
I was in Norway this July and the heat was ridiculous. Was it some kind of unseasonable heatwave? Me and a mate interrailed all over northern Europe and it was the same everywhere, absolutely baking. We'd been expecting weather more along the lines of sunny and mild.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
First Dæhli pops up, now this kid starts making huge waves, and he's only bleedin' 15! Clearly the artificial turfs and the youtube age is paying dividends. I really hope that he, Dæhli, and the likes of Johansen can form a core of players who wouldn't look out of place in most (if any) sides, and can carry us to our first tournament since 2000. That would be ace!

Really excited to see how this lad develops. Hopefully he takes to international football like a duck to water. That's one of the things that astonishes me the most about Dæhli, that he seems to find his feet at any level you'd care to throw him into.

Long way from age 15 and an exciting player to being dedicated through your teens, well into your adult years and making good on your potential, but I hope he keeps it up!
His dedication is part of what makes him unique. The first to arrive for training and the last to leave. In addition, he'll do extra sessions with his dad or one of Godset's youth sides.

FromTheBench

His dedication is part of what makes him unique. The first to arrive for training and the last to leave. In addition, he'll do extra sessions with his dad or one of Godset's youth sides.
Remember reading the same about Daehli as well somewhere.

quackattack

That is how great players are made. Wholehearted dedication and effort.

I was in Norway this July and the heat was ridiculous. Was it some kind of unseasonable heatwave? Me and a mate interrailed all over northern Europe and it was the same everywhere, absolutely baking. We'd been expecting weather more along the lines of sunny and mild.
Yes, weather this summer has been nuts, and that goes for more than Norway:)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Will be paramount for him to keep his feet on the ground, but at the same time know that he is full of potential. Will be interesting to see in the future.
Can players under 18 from Norway move to a club abroad?
Barca clearly got in trouble for signing non EU players under 18
Norway is not in the EU but is in the EEA (european economic area) as such what are the rules about a club such as ourselves signing him at 16?

Firstly could we buy him?
Secondly if we are allowed to buy him and we did would we be able to bring him over to the UK or would he have to stay loaned out to a club in Norway

Will it hold him back to potentially be playing in Norway or could it actually be better for him? - my gut feel is it would probably hold him back otherwise big clubs wouldnt bother with bringing top kids into their acadamys they would just sign them and leave them where they are.

Does anyone know the rules?

Eriku

Can players under 18 from Norway move to a club abroad?
Barca clearly got in trouble for signing non EU players under 18
Norway is not in the EU but is in the EEA (european economic area) as such what are the rules about a club such as ourselves signing him at 16?

Firstly could we buy him?
Secondly if we are allowed to buy him and we did would we be able to bring him over to the UK or would he have to stay loaned out to a club in Norway

Will it hold him back to potentially be playing in Norway or could it actually be better for him? - my gut feel is it would probably hold him back otherwise big clubs wouldnt bother with bringing top kids into their acadamys they would just sign them and leave them where they are.

Does anyone know the rules?
16 is the rule. And we brought Eikrem and Dæhli over before they turned 18, so that's no problem.

Eriku

I second quack and FromTheBench on this. The same was said of Dæhli. Both players are excelling and causing excitement that we're not used to here, getting called up for the national side and linked to big teams, and both players are just keeping their head down, focusing on the next game and improving.

If they retain that and steer clear of the worst of injuries, they're bound to do well.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
16 is the rule. And we brought Eikrem and Dæhli over before they turned 18, so that's no problem.
FIFA only allows international youth transfers when one of three situations apply: the player's parents have moved country for their own, non-related reasons; the move takes place within the European Union if a player is aged between 16 and 18; or the player's home is less than 50 kilometres from the national border being crossed

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Catalans-free-summer-spree.html#ixzz3B70LgqsN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
should that rule say EEA then because unless I am missing something Norway has not suddenly become an EU member state?

Eriku

should that rule say EEA then because unless I am missing something Norway has not suddenly become an EU member state?
No we have not, but yeah, I guess the EEA opens for us to do the same. All I know is that Dæhli and Eikrem were both here well before 18.

quackattack

To add a bit of humor here...Norway has so few super talents that it really shouldn't matter if they whent abroad at whatever age:P

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is such a well-worn cliche it kind of makes me chuckle. Presumably nobody wants to be known as the second last to leave.

"So, are you heading off then?"

"Nah, might hang around a bit longer, on my tod. You go ahead"

"Really? I'm gonna practice my pens for a few minutes. You should be hitting the road, though. Traffic gets very heavy about now and I know you'd hate to miss the Great British Bake Off..." etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.