Martin Ødegaard

Status
Not open for further replies.

khoazany

Can players under 18 from Norway move to a club abroad?
Barca clearly got in trouble for signing non EU players under 18
Norway is not in the EU but is in the EEA (european economic area) as such what are the rules about a club such as ourselves signing him at 16?

Firstly could we buy him?
Secondly if we are allowed to buy him and we did would we be able to bring him over to the UK or would he have to stay loaned out to a club in Norway

Will it hold him back to potentially be playing in Norway or could it actually be better for him? - my gut feel is it would probably hold him back otherwise big clubs wouldnt bother with bringing top kids into their acadamys they would just sign them and leave them where they are.

Does anyone know the rules?
Eikrem,King and Daehli all were here since 15-16 years old.

Last edited:

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
This is such a well-worn cliche it kind of makes me chuckle. Presumably nobody wants to be known as the second last to leave.

"So, are you heading off then?"

"Nah, might hang around a bit longer, on my tod. You go ahead"

"Really? I'm gonna practice my pens for a few minutes. You should be hitting the road, though. Traffic gets very heavy about now and I know you'd hate to miss the Great British Bake Off..." etc. etc.
:), almost :lol:

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes
Excellent from @Matt_Barlow_DM on Martin Odegaard, Norway's 15-year-old superstar-in-waiting: http://dailym.ai/1tzp5A0

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes
Was told a few weeks ago that Odegaard's intention as it stands is Germany next summer. Not Bayern - wants a Gladbach/Stuttgart so he plays.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Would be a sensible choice for him.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah a not too big club in Germany would be perfect, he'll need to play loads to not stall his development. Hopefully he's got good advisors.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Good choice. Stuttgart, Freiburg or something similar next season, then a move to Bayern in 3 years. Sold!

FromTheBench

If he is that talented he will break through at most clubs with a top academy and coaches tbh except the Real Madrid, City, Chelsea, PSG types.

Don't think playing regular first team football at 15/16 would be a good idea either tbh.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Don't think playing regular first team football at 15/16 would be a good idea either tbh.
That all depends. If he's good enough to play first team football and his body is developed/sturdy enough, wouldn't it be a waste of time and a hinderance to his development if he played in a U23 or U19 team 2 or more levels separated from the top flight?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Freddie Adu?
If I remember correctly Adu was almost 17 when he made his first team international debut in a friendly vs Canada. Didn't get his first start till he was 18+.

wrt Odengaard, Alen Halilovic or Gareth Bale would be more apt comparisons. Got their first caps for the Croatian and Welsh national mean's team at 16.

jeston

It was a nothing link. He just mentioned there were reports we are interested and might choose to try and sign him today. No substance

FromTheBench

It was a nothing link. He just mentioned there were reports we are interested and might choose to try and sign him today. No substance
I just saw little while back and he said United is hoping to do a deal for him today as well as per his info.

Acole9

Outstanding
He said when he was last on United will continue to scout him. So I don't think a deal for him will happen today.

golazo

Melbourne, AU - Constantly F5'ing the Vidal thread
I think we'd be a big chance to get him when the time's right, if we're really after him. Just because of his nationality. If from the Latin world he'd already be signed up for Barca or Madrid & his dad would have 10 million quid sitting in his bank account, + a job mowing lawns at the Bernabeu

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's probably right to stay. Playing senior Norwegian football should benefit him more than U18's or U21's right now. I read somewhere he's a Liverpool fan, any truth in that?

Red Stone

He's probably right to stay. Playing senior Norwegian football should benefit him more than U18's or U21's right now. I read somewhere he's a Liverpool fan, any truth in that?
Yep. Both him and his dad are huge Liverpool fans.

Doesn't have to mean anything. If he feels United is the best place for him to get the most out of his career he'll join us. Seems like a driven and sensible kid.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Yep. Both him and his dad are huge Liverpool fans.

Doesn't have to mean anything. If he feels United is the best place for him to get the most out of his career he'll join us. Seems like a driven and sensible kid.
Yeah, it may not mean anything but I know as a young teenager I was much more a fanatic of Manchester United than I am now... I doubt I'd ever had joined Liverpool as a kid, now though... :nervous:

Status
Not open for further replies.