Martin Atkinson

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The incident today where he blew for a free kick, then didn't actually stop the game for a free kick to be taken, shows what a feckin incompetent moron this guy is.
It wasn’t a perfect performance but it was as good as any I’ve seen this season. I was mortified when I saw he was reffing this fixture.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It wasn’t a perfect performance but it was as good as any I’ve seen this season. I was mortified when I saw he was reffing this fixture.
He was fine otherwise, but that moment was insane... And we nearly conceded because of it.

Web of Bissaka

First 90 mins, he was surprisingly that good, very fair and let all players advantages, 10/10.

And then the 90+ mins, any reasons why he delay blowing the final whistle?

Supposedly 4 mins extra time, yet it extended to 5+ mins.

thebelfastboy

First 90 mins, he was surprisingly that good, very fair and let all players advantages, 10/10.

And then the 90+ mins, any reasons why he delay blowing the final whistle?

Supposedly 4 mins extra time, yet it extended to 5+ mins.
Matic was down getting treatment

Giggs86

Surprisingly decent today. Was expecting him to be Chelsea's 12th man as per usual.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Apparently this was the first time we won against Chelsea with him refereeing.

Jonno

Ah yes, that one. Fair enough, although it varies between different refs. Some refs considers it and extend extra time, some don't or just extend about 30 seconds.
I think he was literally about to blow for full time after 95 mins, but then they got the corner which gave an extra 15-20 seconds

But I think overall he handled the game well, he didn't rush to book people which was nice, but at the same time found the right balance and time to do so later on in the game.

Acole9

Outstanding
He had a good game, apart from adding a minute and a half on to the four minutes of added time. What on earth was he playing it? I'm no conspiracy theorist/paranoid fan, but it looked as though he was waiting for Chelsea to get another goal. Matic wasn't down for that long, there was no reason for that minute and a half.

Djemba-Djemba

Matic was down for about 50 seconds and then Atkinson added almost 2 minutes on to make up for it.

He almost went the entire game without infuriating me but he managed it right at the end.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Shite ref, almost let Chelsea score from a free kick that was nowhere near the foul. He had no clue what was going on, then he turned and just let the play go on.

He also let Matic get away with so much before giving a yellow, and was trying to do the same with Kante but Kante hacked down Pogba so was forced to give a yellow.

Typical performance from a PL ref, inconsistent decisions, doesn't apply basic rules of the game. The only thing missing was a late penalty or red card to stamp his mark on the game.

SpyLuke10

What the F was that at the end, I thought at the very least he'd blow the whistle as soon as Chelsea booted the ball forward for that last attack, but no he kept it going even for a corner. Gave them an extra 90 seconds or so which could have been all important.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Have we ever won against Chelsea with him before? I can't recall it happening.

Anyway, he was fine, random attempts to create drama in the 95th minute aside. Shocked to be honest.

Jonno

What the F was that at the end, I thought at the very least he'd blow the whistle as soon as Chelsea booted the ball forward for that last attack, but no he kept it going even for a corner. Gave them an extra 90 seconds or so which could have been all important.
Matic went down for 60-70 seconds in the 91st minute, we also took some throw-ins super slow. An extra 90 seconds was about right

Denis' cuff

By his standards, not too bad but should’ve booked Drinkwater for persistent fouling, as well as the above.

Dominant

Call it as it is. He did well honestly. We usually lost vs chelsea with him in charge. Lost count of the number of fouls Matic made before he was finally booked. lol

Golden Nugget

Apart from the weird free kick - I thought he was excellent. Let h game flow without blowing at every opportunity and didn’t give away needless yellows.

Despite it being against us, I was happy with the time added on top of the given time. Far too often these things happen against us where the opposition make a sub or time waste and no time is added whatsoever.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
The match going till 95th min was correct as Matic was down from stroke of 90 till end of 91st min. Overall Atkinson had a good match and it was helped by the fact that he didn't have any tough calls to make.

DevilRed

Actually surprised atkinson refereed the match well. The offside goal wasnt his fault.

The additional time at the end was his bias creeping back in though.

Caius

Despite it being against us, I was happy with the time added on top of the given time. Far too often these things happen against us where the opposition make a sub or time waste and no time is added whatsoever.
I agree with this but the problem is there is no consistency from game to game with regards to added time, I think part of the reason people are seeing bias or whatnot in Atkinson extending the game into the 95th minute is that very often this does not happen, even when a player is down for a bit in extra time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Shite ref, almost let Chelsea score from a free kick that was nowhere near the foul. He had no clue what was going on, then he turned and just let the play go on.
They didn't even take the Free Kick - the ball actually never stopped moving from the time he blew his whistle.

Last edited:

SER19

Surprised people are making the point to reason that added time was fair as we see teams kill time in added time and its never accounted for. That’s precisely the point. I hate time wasting more than anything in the game but you can’t just keep playing when it suits. He played for too long, simple as that

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Usually a good refereeing performance is 1 you don't notice them. I had no quarrels with him.

Fitchett

I've been his biggest critic for many years and I was mortified to see he was reffing us again in a Chelsea match. But, he did OK, apart from the two minutes added to the four stated in extra time. One for Matic being down, fair enough, but where the other one came from is beyond me. And yes, that was the first time in six games that we have beaten Chelsea when he has been in the middle. Two defeats at Stamford Bridge in the past were definitely down to him.

Hellboy

He had a good game, apart from adding a minute and a half on to the four minutes of added time. What on earth was he playing it? I'm no conspiracy theorist/paranoid fan, but it looked as though he was waiting for Chelsea to get another goal. Matic wasn't down for that long, there was no reason for that minute and a half.
He's a Chelsea fan.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's a Chelsea fan.
For real? Surely that's not allowed. Wasn't there a referee who was a Newcastle or Spurs fan and they weren't allowed to officiate in any of their matches? I've always wondered about Jon Moss because he's from Manchester and he's refereed our games and City ones.

Fitchett

For real? Surely that's not allowed. Wasn't there a referee who was a Newcastle or Spurs fan and they weren't allowed to officiate in any of their matches? I've always wondered about Jon Moss because he's from Manchester and he's refereed our games and City ones.
Atkinson is a Leeds fan and Moss was a former Sunderland youth team player.

Hellboy

it was ironic, but some of his decisions during 2007 - 2011 especially at Chelsea were baffling.

Bojan11

Him and Oliver are fecking shocking.

Atkinson couldn’t wait to give that.