Martin Atkinson

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I was surprised when Atkinson finally gave Ander a free kick. Must've been the fourth of fifth time a Liverpool player had blocked, kicked or dragged the guy. Useless referee.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Always a homer against us. Always.

Could have been worse though, had genuine fear at how long his Lukaku chat was.

JustinC00

Glad some ghost of a former United player possessed him when Coutinho fell in the box.. Because that's the only way I can explain why he didn't give a penalty.

Turkleton

The surprise is he didn't fall for Salah's or Coutinho's dives. Didn't call them as dives though.

Zoo

He'll get the big decisions right but it was one rule then another for us when it came to clamping down on niggling fouls. We got nothing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He did ok all things considered...

And these things to consider is that he's a pretty thick individual

AlwaysRed66

If he was biased he would have booked Lukaku for his challenge & given a penalty to Courtinio. He gave neither, which he shouldn't have as he gave the correct decisions for both, but he could have easily done so.

Joseunited

If he was biased he would have booked Lukaku for his challenge & given a penalty to Courtinio. He gave neither, which he shouldn't have as he gave the correct decision for both, but he could have easily done so.
He might not have been biased for those two decisions but he is an absolute plank of a referee,I saw a couple of decisions close to the byline that went the way of Liverpool because he gave into the baying crowd and he blew for a Liverpool fowl just about every decision that involved a collision between two players.

We were crap,no doubt about that but he wasn't much better either.

He was as useless as usual but at least it was fairly even today and he didn't make any game changing howlers.

lsd

The Oracle
Didn't give Liverpool a stonewall pen so can't criticise him to much .Have seen a lot worse from him against us

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I haven't seen the final 35 minutes yet, but before that he simply gave every physical altercation to Liverpool. If they won the challenge, it was play on. If we won it, it was a foul.

Young in particular had two or three incredible calls go against him.

I wouldn't say he's biased against us. More likely just a homer.

Sylar

Yep a homer who I still think guesses decisions when he's not sure

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This referee would be referred to an independent committee if he was in another line of work. Disgraceful and incompetent refereing.

BIGbadBOO4

Didn't give Liverpool a stonewall pen so can't criticise him to much .Have seen a lot worse from him against us
When was this I must have missed something? When Salah fell over or when Coutiniho fell over when Herrera had the check to slightly touch him? Not even close to being a penalty.

AlwaysRed66

What stonewall penalty? Not the one Klopp is whining about when Coutinhio falls over I hope.

montpelier

he was terrible apart from the 'stonewall' LFC pen, :eek:

never knew proximity to crowd actually decided who got the restart

ti vu

At least, astute when it comes to big decision this game. However, didn't allow us to play at all. Every 50/50 decision went to L'pool.

donkeyfish

Don't think he was that bad today. I was angered by two situations with Young, but they didn't even show the replays on TV making it difficult to say whether he got it wrong or not.

I like it when ref's don't start giving out cards left and right in these games

oldhand

United fans there were incensed, sung YSB to him a few times, worse man on the pitch

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Apart from harbouring a hatred for anything involving Ashley Young I'm not really sure what he did wrong. Should have booked whoever it was that caught Hererra, but then also should have booked Lukaku...that's about it really. Hardly decided the game.

Fitchett

Usual shocking performance from this cheat. No big game changing decisions, but gave every 50-50 challenge Liverpool's way. The two calls against Young in the first half were scandalous. He didn't book Lukaku, but also didn't penalise the incident when two Liverpool players tried to wipe out Herrera. Didn't fall for Coutinho's acting in trying to win a penalty, but didn't book him either. Smalling's booking was a complete joke. Atkinson needs to f*ck off back to Leeds and stay in that sh*thole.

pascell

My best friend is a referee in Scotland and he's started doing u23 games for the professional teams, he's not a United fan by any means and even said he thought the referees performance was shocking. The problem I have is the inconsistency, fair play if they give the same ones against us as we get but they don't, booking for Smalling but nothing Wijnaldum?

PieCrust

If he was biased he would have booked Lukaku for his challenge & given a penalty to Courtinio. He gave neither, which he shouldn't have as he gave the correct decisions for both, but he could have easily done so.
Lukaku was clearly a yellow, borderline red when you take into account the recklessness of it. Was very much a gift to us on that non-call.

Lukaku was clearly a yellow, borderline red when you take into account the recklessness of it. Was very much a gift to us on that non-call.
Not a red in a million years. It was just a late challenge.

POF

He’s just a homer.

Hates upsetting the home crowd whoever they are.

Coward.
Agree with this. He was overly influenced by the home crowd. Some of his decisions showed laughable inconsistency. The Can/Young incident was comical.

He was really poor but his performance didn't decide the game. Sadly, that's about as good as you can hope for.

Danny Roberts

I think people often view referees' performances through incredibly biased lenses. I couldn't watch the game unfortunately so can't comment on this particular match though.

Kostov

It was a foul on Lukaku in the first place from one of Liverpool's CBs, had he given it you wouldn't be talking about Lukaku's challenge. And that was never a penalty, he gave every 50:50 to them and was obviously influenced by the crowd.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I mistook you for a Liverpool fan :lol:

Last edited:

Sylar

I think people often view referees' performances through incredibly biased lenses. I couldn't watch the game unfortunately so can't comment on this particular match though.
Whilst this is true, ive seen him in non United matches, and hes just a terrible referee. Him being called a homer is correct imo. Its worrying when hes deemed one of the best this country has.

PieCrust

Not a red in a million years. It was just a late challenge.
I didn't say it was a red, I said it was borderline.

And he cleaned the player out, in a reckless fashion. You make challenges like that, and you live on the edge of consequences.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The incident today where he blew for a free kick, then didn't actually stop the game for a free kick to be taken, shows what a feckin incompetent moron this guy is.