Film Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Green_Red

Some people might say some of his movies arent cinema either, just glorifications of extreme violence.

Cinema is subjective. Its what you make of it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Some people might say some of his movies arent cinema either, just glorifications of extreme violence.

Cinema is subjective. Its what you make of it.
Sure but those arguing that a Marvel movie is some heightened form of culture better be wearing their big belts.

Edit: this is perhaps a bit snobby.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He's a 100% right.

And the worst part is, that unlike music where other genres can easily be found aside from pop music, it's pretty hard these days to find a film on in cinema that isnt a superhero film or part of a series / remake.

I don't mind there being superhero movies, e.g. like how Spiderman and Batman were in the early / mod 2000s, but now weve got 10 out a year and it's shite.
Well, that's bollocks.

diarm

Can we all just take a minute to appreciate that somebody in this thread, genuinely tried to argue that Justin Bieber is a good musician?

It seems that little nugget just slipped through the net there somehow. Justin Bieber is a product developed in a boardroom, like the iPod or a tamagotchi.

bucky

Some people rather go to theme parks than sit through Silence.

acnumber9

I don’t think there really is a thing as proper cinema. The problem with these films is that it’s become so much of a focus that there’s rarely anything in the cinema worth watching anymore. I think films like those that Scorsese make are going to become more the domain of streaming sites than cinema in future.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Can we all just take a minute to appreciate that somebody in this thread, genuinely tried to argue that Justin Bieber is a good musician?

It seems that little nugget just slipped through the net there somehow. Justin Bieber is a product developed in a boardroom, like the iPod or a tamagotchi.
Except he was discovered on YouTube after a lot of people liked him. Can't stand him or his music myself, but there is a reason that he is so popular beyond young girls wishing they could be with him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
You can argue about the semantics (either you snobbishly discard it as "not a cinema", or simply put it as a separate genre), but they're very different from the "regular" cinema. The personality of a superhero (and I mean the image that the public has of him even before they see the movie) is more important to a viewer than a coherent narrative structure, acting and all those points that the "regular" cinema is usually judged by. Even though from time to time you get a truly outstanding (in every way) movie like Nolan's Batman or, hopefully, the new Joker (at this point I'm simply going by reviews). Or some genuinely funny/entertaining ones like Bore: Ragnarok.

It's hard to draw a line between the superhero movies, the commercial franchises like the Predator/Alien (original movies aside) and big-gross action movies though, since they should share the same criticism, just not as inflated.

diarm

Except he was discovered on YouTube after a lot of people liked him. Can't stand him or his music myself, but there is a reason that he is so popular beyond young girls wishing they could be with him.
He was discovered on youtube at 13 by the marketing executive of a recording company who clicked on one of his cover songs by accident. He wasn't very popular before he was developed in a lab to be a profitable puppet and even if he had been, youtube is littered with popular people displaying no discernible talent.

marktan

Well, that's bollocks.
I'm not saying there's no original or independent films, just that there seems to be fewer of them. I think too many of the big studios and directors are focusing on remakes / franchises / superhero films and to me anyway when I check what's on it seems like there's a lack of quality original films showing at most cinemas.

Oldyella

Old man yells at cloud.

They are just what's popular now. Just like crime movies previously, 80s action movies before them, and westerns before them.

And just like previous fads, some are good, and some not so good.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Didnt he break through on youtube?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don’t think there really is a thing as proper cinema. The problem with these films is that it’s become so much of a focus that there’s rarely anything in the cinema worth watching anymore. I think films like those that Scorsese make are going to become more the domain of streaming sites than cinema in future.
True and that's the shame for me. I used to work in an indie cinema and it was a joy watching those movies on the big screen.

I'm probably not speaking alone when I say that my attention goes to the wall when it comes to watching movies at home.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
As far as I'm aware, Rado just said scorsese was right and posed the question about being number one not necessarily meaning it's the best. You were the one to refer to films as bullshit.
Scorsese said Marvel films were 'not cinema.' There's some pretty incredible mental gymnastics going on here if you interpret that as anything another than a big dollop of negativity.

Green_Red

Sure but those arguing that a Marvel movie is some heightened form of culture better be wearing their big belts.

I wouldn't but I wouldn't for a lot of movies. But again, culture is purely subjective, so just because you don't think it is there is a group that do. That's just how it is.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What I can't stand is people creaming themselves over Marvel's "22 film arc" like it's the greatest thing ever.

I enjoyed a handful of the movies but they're all the fecking same really.

Here's our hero, witty banter, here's the baddie, witty banter, baddie wins the first fight, hero is dejected but rallies and beats baddie, witty banter.

And every trailer sets punches and impacts that times. With. The. Beat. Of. The. Music.

Oldyella

Not sure that's snobby tbh? I think any one arguing they are high culture is pushing it, but what cinema is high culture? You get the occasional movie I suppose, and there is always a chance of a superhero flick being one of them but as a genre they aren't.

And I say that as a massive fan of them. High culture? No. Do they give me enjoyment watching them? Yes.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Superhero comic movies are dogshit and as forgettable as it gets. I'll never forget Taxi Driver. I'll forget Thor and Hulk in a minute though.

izec

Most of them are crap, that also isnt a surprise. I watch one every now and then, but as he said, it is impossible to keep up and the movies all are similar, just different characters.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
They are cinema, just not cerebral cinema.

They serve their purpose though, being mindless entertainment. Not everyone wants to watch Russian films about land reclamation.

Member 39557

Scorsese said Marvel films were 'not cinema.' There's some pretty incredible mental gymnastics going on here if you interpret that as anything another than a big dollop of negativity.
So you quoted Rado, but you were talking about Scorsese, and I'm doing mental gymnastics.

Ok.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I get his points but they are cinema, just different type. When done right, they are very entertaining. Like Logan, Dark Knight, Thor Ragnarok or Deadpool.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Hurr durr back in my days. Marvel movies are riding a wave now that they've pretty much started themselves, it was all good long term planning, targeting the age group that they knew had read comics and would love to see movie adaptation and now they're reaping the rewards. Weren't most of his movies about gangsters? So ultimately he was doing the same thing but with a different genre. If Marvel movies are a theme park, then so was his Wolf of the Wall Street.

feck off Scorsese you dummy, off you go to the celebrity deathpool thread.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hasn't cinema always been a spectacle though?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Describing them as not being cinema seems like rather inane criticism to me as it doesn't actually mean anything. It might be shit cinema but it's still cinema unless you make up your own random arbitrary rules for what cinema is in your head, to the point where the meaning of the word changes.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So you quoted Rado, but you were talking about Scorsese, and I'm doing mental gymnastics.

Ok.
So...

As far as I'm aware, Rado just said scorsese was right and posed the question about being number one not necessarily meaning it's the best. You were the one to refer to films as bullshit.
Are you disagreeing with yourself now?

Infra-red

They are films in the same way that Adele's albums are "music" - mass market, lowest common denominator fluff for children and people who don't really like music.

Something that entertains millions of people cannot be totally without merit (see also Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean etc), but Scorsese's "theme park" line is fairly apt.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He's right and any adults thinking otherwise need to grow up.

bucky

Hasn't cinema always been a spectacle though?
Describing them as not being cinema seems like rather inane criticism to me as it doesn't actually mean anything. It might be shit cinema but it's still cinema unless you make up your own random abritrary rules for what cinema is in your head, to the point where the meaning of the word changes.
What sully said.

Member 39557

So...

Are you disagreeing with yourself now?
Conveniently leaving out the posts I was replying to in order to try and make yourself look good.

You know why you quoted Rado, and why I replied in that manner. No point engaging with fanboys!