Film Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Chairman Steve

Since it’s a Scorsese thread, he’s finally doing his Sinatra/Rat Pack movie that’s been mooted to happen forever, with absolutely no surprise who’s playing Sinatra (I wish he’d stop casting him for everything)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Since it’s a Scorsese thread, he’s finally doing his Sinatra/Rat Pack movie that’s been mooted to happen forever, with absolutely no surprise who’s playing Sinatra (I wish he’d stop casting him for everything)

Who will de niro play? Sammy Davis JR?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.

Didn't Sinatra have a far deeper voice than Leo? Leo's voice is kind of high-pitched for a man. But I guess good acting plus technology can make it work..

caid

I wonder if Scorsese's insistence on working with the same male leads (de Niro and Dicraprio) throughout his career should be considered a weakness in his abilities as a director?
I'd say its a weakness of more recent movies. Don't object much to De Niro in everything 30+ years ago. Di Caprio was quite good in a lot of his roles too to be fair. Probably a bit harsh to criticise before they start filming (it looks a bad choice to me too).
It seems pretty common too really. David Lynch gets the same actors back again and again. John Carpenter too, Christopher Nolan same, Tarantino and Samuel Jackson. Does Villeneuve?
I'd say those that dont, don't have the draw and reputation to get the same people for everything they film

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I wonder if Scorsese's insistence on working with the same male leads (de Niro and Dicraprio) throughout his career should be considered a weakness in his abilities as a director?
The Harry Redknapp of directing.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'd say its a weakness of more recent movies. Don't object much to De Niro in everything 30+ years ago. Di Caprio was quite good in a lot of his roles too to be fair. Probably a bit harsh to criticise before they start filming (it looks a bad choice to me too).
It seems pretty common too really. David Lynch gets the same actors back again and again. John Carpenter too, Christopher Nolan same, Tarantino and Samuel Jackson. Does Villeneuve?
I'd say those that dont, don't have the draw and reputation to get the same people for everything they film
Don't get me wrong he's technically excellent and I'm a big fan of his work but to me a director should also be able to work effectively with different leads and he hadn't really shown that. The only anomalies I can think of are Daniel Day Lewis in The Age of Innocence and Willem Dafoe in The Last Temptation of Christ.

caid

Don't get me wrong he's technically excellent and I'm a big fan of his work but to me a director should also be able to work effectively with different leads and he hadn't really shown that. The only anomalies I can think of are Daniel Day Lewis in The Age of Innocence and Willem Dafoe in The Last Temptation of Christ.
I watched After Hours a couple of months back. Dont know the lead, excellent film and about 1hr and 40 mins that felt like it had more going on than most 3+ hour films. Watch it!

imdb link

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He's very prolific and seems to jump from one project to the other in no time. Perhaps, he just wants to work with people who know him and what he expects on his sets to get things done without much fuss. And one of his post-2000 films that didn't feature either Leo or De Niro is, IMHO, his later era masterpiece. He can deliver.

Sweet Square

The only anomalies I can think of are Daniel Day Lewis in The Age of Innocence and Willem Dafoe in The Last Temptation of Christ.
Hugo in 2011 and Silence in 2016 had Adam Driver, Andrew Garfield and Liam Neeson as the main characters.

Also long time ago now but Bringing Out the Dead from 1999 had Nic Cage as the lead.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Hugo in 2011 and Silence in 2016 had Adam Driver, Andrew Garfield and Liam Neeson as the main characters.

Also long time ago now but Bringing Out the Dead from 1999 had Nic Cage as the lead.
Up to six now, still three quarters of the time he's working with the same couple of actors.Maybe as TRDA says he's particular and wants to work a certain way with people who understand him but it's still a bit odd and for me kind of detracts from the body of work.*

*It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of one of those actors.

caid

Up to six now, still three quarters of the time he's working with the same couple of actors.Maybe as TRDA says he's particular and wants to work a certain way with people who understand him but it's still a bit odd and for me kind of detracts from the body of work.*

*It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of one of those actors.
@Dirty Schwein I think he's dissing nic cage. Get em

caid

Steve Buscemi in Boardwalk Empire, Kundun, Color of Money and Alice Doesn't Live Her Anymore with Kris Kritofferson can be added to the list.

Loon

:lol:
DeNiro was going to play Jesus in that too. He’s worked with Nic Cage, Griffin Dunne, Liam Neeson, Paul Newman (and Cruise), others.

lsd

The Oracle
I watched After Hours a couple of months back. Dont know the lead, excellent film and about 1hr and 40 mins that felt like it had more going on than most 3+ hour films. Watch it!

imdb link
Griffin Dunne? Great actor should have been a lot bigger but think he made a lot of strange choices acting wise.

Loon

:lol:
Yes but he's worked with de Niro and Dicraprio about 20 times each. It's weird.
it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Anymore than Wayne/Ford, Washington/Scott, Mifune/Kurosawa, etc does. Directors have their favourite actors. If anything, it’s DeNiro who is benefitting the most as his filmography recently has been iffy. Wes Anderson and Bill Murray will probably continue too.