Film Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

stevoc

I think you can get involved in hating them if you assume there’s a finite pool of money available to be invested in making movies and you hate the thought of so much money being invested in so many shitty movies. Plus it makes the type of movie on in big cinemas so much more homogeneous. Which is depressing.

You don’t need to be that old to remember cinema pre-Marvel superhero movies. When there was a far more diverse variety of big budget films on in the cinema
I get it but they're two side of the same coin for me. Whether it's loving them or hating them they're primarily kids films, I don't see the need for adults to get so worked up about them. If someone enjoys getting obsessed with them or getting worked up and hating on them fair enough I suppose, each to their own. I don't particularly like those Disney live action remakes so I just don't watch them. I personally don't jump to assuming their existence is taking money away from something potentially being made that I would like and then get myself upset about it.

We live in a golden age of Television that you can stream from the comfort of your home so it's not like there isn't plenty to watch, that more than Kids movies is what's killing cinema. And going to the cinema has mostly become an experience to bring kids to anyway these days, because the production companies and the cinemas know the little feckers are a licence to print money. That's why the majority of the movies on offer are geared towards them.

b82REZ

I get it but they're two side of the same coin for me. Whether it's loving them or hating them they're primarily kids films, I don't see the need for adults to get so worked up about them. If someone enjoys getting obsessed with them or getting worked up and hating on them fair enough I suppose, each to their own. I don't particularly like those Disney live action remakes so I just don't watch them. I personally don't jump to assuming their existence is taking money away from something potentially being made that I would like and then get myself upset about it.

We live in a golden age of Television that you can stream from the comfort of your home so it's not like there isn't plenty to watch, that more than Kids movies is what's killing cinema. And going to the cinema has mostly become an experience to bring kids to anyway these days, because the production companies and the cinemas know the little feckers are a licence to print money. That's why the majority of the movies on offer are geared towards them.
Great post.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He's a fantastic actor, dunno about best of his generation mind.

Ironic that's posted in a thread slating blockbusters. Though he was arguably the best bit of the new trilogy.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Few will ever admit what an exceptional work of filmmaking Silence is. Sansho the Bailiff level shit.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
What did you think of Oyu-sama, did you find in excruciatingly poignant like I did?
I not only found it poignant but elegant and evocative. The lighting especially is a marvel of post-war cinema and the sombre storytelling as masterful as any 20th century novel.

It's a truly remarkable film indeed.

No I haven't seen it.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I not only found it poignant but elegant and evocative. The lighting especially is a marvel of post-war cinema and the sombre storytelling as masterful as any 20th century novel.

It's a truly remarkable film indeed.

No I haven't seen it.
Oh, though I trust you watched all four hours of his Chushingura in a single sitting right?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Oh, though I trust you watched all four hours of his Chushingura in a single sitting right?
Appreciate we're doing the film scholar/critic LARPing thing but it does make me laugh how romanticised some of these older films can be.

Ozu is top of my list when it comes to misplaced veneration and I'm convinced nobody really enjoys Tokyo Story.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Appreciate we're doing the film scholar/critic LARPing thing but it does make me laugh how romanticised some of these older films can be.

Ozu is top of my list when it comes to misplaced veneration and I'm convinced nobody really enjoys Tokyo Story.
Oh feck off. Ozu is one of my few indispensables of Japanese Asian World Cinema.

You see they put up a recent Tsai Ming-Liang short on Mubi yesterday? His stuff is always such a fecking ache to find.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Oh feck off. Ozu is one of my few indispensables of Japanese Asian World Cinema.

You see they put up a recent Tsai Ming-Liang short on Mubi yesterday? His stuff is always such a fecking ache to find.
It's a personal take of course but I like some of his later films like Floating Weeds - the one about the theatre troupe- and Good Morning.

Didn't see that but thanks, I'll check it out if my MUBI sub is still active (?). One of these days somebody will release a collection of his early movies and I'll go giddy with excitement.

Last edited:

caid

Very controversial but if he's saying that simplifying narratives into good/bad dichotomies - as superhero stories inevitable do - is similar to fascism then it's hard to disagree.

Requires a few leaps of logic though.
There is a quote in the article about people looking for simpler times. Alan Moore likes leaps of logic.

Sweet Square

Everyone is turning into Mary Whitehouse. You could be an anarchist fiction writer scared about the incoming Zack Synder fascism, a democratic politician wanting to ban Trump from twitter, a MAGA lover who wants to get rid of the green M&M because it's trans or the head of the Chinese communist party wanting to potentially ban same sex kissing movies, its still all the same politics which is a obsession with media consumption as the primary mover of political/social events.

The Marvel films are just dog shit and the way they are made(Along with many other factors)is destroying the film industry ability to make any interesting. There's isn't anything else to it.

Sweet Square

“Things are changing fast, which we’re very excited by,” says Anthony. “We’re futurists. We love new technology. We love the energy that it brings to our process, the possibilities that it creates for how we communicate with audiences. Then we meet the market where it is at that moment. That’s been our agenda from the beginning, and it’s served us very well

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I fecking loved Hercules as a kid. I must have seen it 7 or 8 times in the cinema.

James Woods as Hades was fantastic. Shame he has turned into a loon.

Meg, best Disney princess. Don't @ me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I fecking loved Hercules as a kid. I must have seen it 7 or 8 times in the cinema.

James Woods as Hades was fantastic. Shame he has turned into a loon.

Meg, best Disney princess. Don't @ me.
Truth.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/jennifer-aniston-allure-cover-interview-infertility-b2221962.html%3famp

"There are no more movie stars"

I think this is true but I don't know for better or worse if I'm honest. Growing up, it felt as if you had your TV stars and your Movie stars, and if a TV star was in a big movie you'd think good for them they deserve. Likewise if a movie star appeared in a TV show it was a big deal and you wonder how did they get them.

Now days, that "line" is blurred. I feel the likes of Netflix simply pay what someone is worth (you'd hope) whether that be TV or movie. And then you have the likes of the MCU or DCEU who have characters in TV and movie properties that cross over.

Is the movie star a thing of the past?

Drawfull

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/jennifer-aniston-allure-cover-interview-infertility-b2221962.html%3famp

"There are no more movie stars"

I think this is true but I don't know for better or worse if I'm honest. Growing up, it felt as if you had your TV stars and your Movie stars, and if a TV star was in a big movie you'd think good for them they deserve. Likewise if a movie star appeared in a TV show it was a big deal and you wonder how did they get them.

Now days, that "line" is blurred. I feel the likes of Netflix simply pay what someone is worth (you'd hope) whether that be TV or movie. And then you have the likes of the MCU or DCEU who have characters in TV and movie properties that cross over.

Is the movie star a thing of the past?
Tom Cruise has only done one TV thing in his entire career and he was only the director in that.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Slightly off topic but his podcast keeps popping up in my recommendations and the guy can really give Joe Rogan a run for his money. A true idiot.
Never knew he had a podcast, but I always assumed he was a bit of a wrong 'un. all the interviews he did regarding The Punisher, he seemed to have missed the entire point of his character and the stories being told. He banged on about how much the the law enforcement and military community are going to appreciate the series. The whole thing is about corruption in both, and there's barely an episode in either season where he doesn't belt the shite out of a cop at some point. Not sure what they're going to appreciate about it.

Sweet Square

Never knew he had a podcast,
The podcast is called Real Ones with Jon Bernthal, which pretty says everything you need to know. It’s pure dumb guy rubbish.

I only found out about it after it really blew up on social media when he interviewed Shia LaBeouf for the podcast(LaBeouf sort of admits to abusing his former girlfriend).

Listening to the podcast made me genuinely feel embarrassed to be a man. A real quote from LaBeouf(On him going into an AA program) “It felt like warrior shit, it felt like man code, like g shit. It didn’t feel like fluffy cute shit, book reading and sitting. It felt sexy”

:houllier:

all the interviews he did regarding The Punisher, he seemed to have missed the entire point of his character and the stories being told. He banged on about how much the the law enforcement and military community are going to appreciate the series. The whole thing is about corruption in both, and there's barely an episode in either season where he doesn't belt the shite out of a cop at some point. Not sure what they're going to appreciate about it.
:lol:

Yeah not surprising he didn’t get it at all. I will say though that’s can be a sign of a good actor.

I’m always amazed that Micheal Caine played a very convincing hippie in Children Of Men(A film showing the awful negative effects of conservative politics)and yet the guy is still a Tory.