Martin Tyler | Retiring

stevoc

Hope he enjoys his retirement, he can finally get a season ticket down the Emirates and watch Arsenal every other week.

lsd

The Oracle
Ruined one of the best moments of last season for me when he tried to give Casemiro's last minute goal against Chelsea to McTominay.

Every time I hear his commentary on that goal it just annoys me

hobbers

Now if we could just somehow get rid of Matterface, Jenas and Darren Fletcher we'll be golden.

Kag

Forced out, I’d imagine.

Probably for the best. You could hear him wheezing during matches and understandably couldn’t do it like he once did. Top notch back in the day, mind you.

Now who said Macheda?

Kag

On the wider subject of Sky Sports, I’m surprised that a news organisation with their influence can so quickly go down the toilet.

Monday Night Football is still a great format, but the rest of their football coverage is dire. We’ll probably have that arsehole who calls himself Speed in the studio to devalue the whole thing some more.

A completely botched attempt at modernisation.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Tyler hasn't sounded enthusiastic in the past few years. He could sound quite monotonous and cynical at times which, where the game has been heading, I dont totally blame him.

In the last recap , he and Neville do after the weekends results, Tyler didnt sound great either. He was slurring his words.

RedDevilRoshi

I won’t be surprised if his retirement is just from Sky Sports and he might fancy being the England commentator for the BBC at the Euros & World Cup. The thought of him & Jenas together though :rolleyes:

I’d like Sky Sports to go and get Peter Drury as his replacement. Always enjoyed his commentary.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Sky will probably replace him internally. I'd expect Tyler's replacement to Rob Hawthorne, Daniel Mann or Seb Hutchinson.

cyberman

Tyler hasn't sounded enthusiastic in the past few years. He could sound quite monotonous and cynical at times which, where the game has been heading, I dont totally blame him.

In the last recap , he and Neville do after the weekends results, Tyler didnt sound great either. He was slurring his words.
It’s not really enthusiasm, it’s trying to join in with the colour commentator analysis when he wasn’t needed. It’s something he never did before so feck knows where it came from.
He also developed a bad habit of piling on a team not playing well or getting thumped

GlasgowCeltic

since Aguero, he knows full well he’ll never top it and how could he

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was watching an old EPL game yesterday and I realised how good Andy Gray was. Made a pretty average game sound great.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Was watching an old EPL game yesterday and I realised how good Andy Gray was. Made a pretty average game sound great.
He gets a bad rap since he got sacked. He was a great pundit and very knowledgeable.

Manny

Grammar Police
Thank god. Finally. He's the most overrated commentator.

Loon

:lol:
Remember the story of him going to Sky after Andy Gray got a raise and asked for one too as they were a team.

Sky started switching his co-commentator after that.

youngrell

Should have maybe finished earlier, as others have mentioned.

Think my favourite piece from him is the Scholes volley vs Villa because he’s close to speechless, let’s out a bit of an involuntary sound before just shouting Scholes’ name as he can’t think of anything else to say.

RedDevilQuebecois

If we go by seniority, I guess that Rob Hawthorne will get the big assignments at Sky. Am I right?

I hope Daniel Mann will also get more assignments for Premier League matches as well. I also enjoy his work in international English broadcasting at the World Cup.

madzo2007

Legend of the commentary world and pretty much the voice of the Premier League. As with everyone else he probably should have retired a couple of years ago as recently his voice has sounded flat and jaded but doing 2 or 3 games a week at 77 is bound to take its toll

Some of the video quality in the below isn't the best but you get the idea.

Jacko21

If we go by seniority, I guess that Rob Hawthorne will get the big assignments at Sky. Am I right?

I hope Daniel Mann will also get more assignments for Premier League matches as well. I also enjoy his work in international English broadcasting at the World Cup.
Yeah, presumably it'll be Rob Hawthorne.

There's also Bill Leslie.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Legend of the commentary world and pretty much the voice of the Premier League. As with everyone else he probably should have retired a couple of years ago as recently his voice has sounded flat and jaded but doing 2 or 3 games a week at 77 is bound to take its toll

Some of the video quality in the below isn't the best but you get the idea.

Some great calls in there. Even though it's City, this is another one...

Oscar Bonavena

I loved his commentaries during the 95/96 season. We won so many games 1-0 with Eric scoring the winner that a Liverpool supporting friend of mine got PTSD from Tyler exclaiming "Cantonaaaaaaaaahhhhh!" every other match!

Tap

Great back in the day especially when paired with Andy Gray but overstayed by several years with his increasingly monotone, unenthusiastic commentary of goals.

The Macheda and Martial moments were great and memorable though

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Thought he was dead they way they announced the news on Sky as breaking. Sky and BT really have brought commentary to new lows in recent years.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
To me there was a huge different between the Gray the co-commentator (he was excellent in that role) and Gray the studio analyst (he was a terrible in that role).