Martin Tyler | Retiring

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Tyler is useless.
He absolutely hates Utd and kisses Liverpool's arse so if Keown is ripping into him, I say good on him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think VAR has also contributed to the lack of conviction in commentary in general. You risk embarrassment if you go over the top on a goal only to see it chalked off by VAR. I think it's a combination of this and Tyler's age that has lead to a dulling of commentary on goals.

All in all he's still one of the better commentators on Sky. His depth of knowledge and understanding of context is very strong which imo is more important than the ability to raise his voice for a goal.
Agreed, I don't mind him either. There are far worse out there, having to listen to Leon Osman was painful the other day.

cyberman

I think VAR has also contributed to the lack of conviction in commentary in general. You risk embarrassment if you go over the top on a goal only to see it chalked off by VAR. I think it's a combination of this and Tyler's age that has lead to a dulling of commentary on goals.

All in all he's still one of the better commentators on Sky. His depth of knowledge and understanding of context is very strong which imo is more important than the ability to raise his voice for a goal.
This wouldn’t explain every time he does it for goals that are clearly not offside.
Plus the Brighton opener wasn’t close to being off and nobody was asking for it.
You have to ignore VAR offsides and act as if it’s a goal before it’s checked, apparently the commentators gets the VAR feed and they can see seconds after the goal is scored if it’s close or not. It’s why you always get Carragher and Neville saying it might be chalked off as a team is celebrating.
I’d like to ask you what aspect comes from his depth of of knowledge that applies to commentating on a game? Especially if he never played the game?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tyler is useless.
He absolutely hates Utd and kisses Liverpool's arse so if Keown is ripping into him, I say good on him.
It’s funny because Liverpool fans say the opposite. He goes by narrative rather than club. Remember him screaming YESSS when Martial scored on is debut against Liverpool?

Judas

Open to offers
Just shows it’s all in people’s heads. Arsenal fans think he hates them, as does Liverpool fans, yet you look on here and people are convinced he loves those teams. Bless.

He is factually past it though, he just isn’t good at the job anymore.

IRN-BRUno

Not sure it's down to his age. He's still coaching as well so surely commentary can't be too much for him? I think he just goes into games wanting certain things to happen for the narrative and when the opposite happens he can't quite hide the disappointment.

Overall I don't mind him, there's certainly worse out there. Maybe time for someone else to step into the main role though.

Pintu

That's a weird analogy.
I think you are expecting too much of him. The commentators first job isn‘t really to inform us. He works for Sky. Sky is a big stakeholder. They need the PL games promoted. They can’t afford people turning away from the product. So he is actually more of an advertiser…

Maybe the post match pundits have a more serious job where they analyze what is gone wrong. But still even if they have to criticize the level of a certain team. They shouldn’t openly admit taht there is no real competition and the title is all about Abu Dhabi and their cheating methods. Most often the question has been wether Liverpool can take it to the last day or not, but rarely with real doubt about City coming on top at the end.

A serious punditry should be telling us about City being under investigation for over a 100 charges. Explaining the real reason we don‘t have a genuine competition anymore.

Sylar

Martin Keown talking about other commentators is quite funny.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Can’t be doing with Sky Sports nowadays in general. They’re so invested in the stupid social media debates “is X overrated” or “have X bottled it”, combined XI’s, comparing points totals across different eras, recency bias, kneejerk statements etc.

Their post match analysis nowadays is genuinely no better than talkSPORT drive where they try and fill the time with one person taking one extreme and another taking another extreme and arguing over a technicality. All for the YouTube hits later when they make a video “Keane and Carragher CLASH over Arsenal’s throw ins”.

As much it’s shocking what a pair of clownish old boomers they appear on Saudi TV or wherever they are now, Keys and Gray days of Sky were much better and Tyler was a much better commentator with Gray next to him.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

Fecking what :lol: Tyler has been writing Arsenal history books for god knows how long. I’m dead certain he’s a gooner. That Woking thing is just the football personality 101 to avoid getting called out for potential bias by people.

Also go watch that Wiltord goal at OT back in 2002 with his commentary and tell me that’s not a gooner going fanzone.

Last edited:

Chief123

Just shows it’s all in people’s heads. Arsenal fans think he hates them, as does Liverpool fans, yet you look on here and people are convinced he loves those teams. Bless.

He is factually past it though, he just isn’t good at the job anymore.
Exactly. A large chunk of the Liverpool fan channels believe he absolutely hates them even scoring a goal. At this point I’m not sure which club he portrays to like anymore.

HarryP

This wouldn’t explain every time he does it for goals that are clearly not offside.
Plus the Brighton opener wasn’t close to being off and nobody was asking for it.
You have to ignore VAR offsides and act as if it’s a goal before it’s checked, apparently the commentators gets the VAR feed and they can see seconds after the goal is scored if it’s close or not. It’s why you always get Carragher and Neville saying it might be chalked off as a team is celebrating.
I’d like to ask you what aspect comes from his depth of of knowledge that applies to commentating on a game? Especially if he never played the game?
1. VAR doesn't just rule out goals for standard offsides, but also offsides in the build up or other infringements that can't be seen on first viewing.

2. The first Brighton goal which people are complaining about did actually feel like it could have been on the edge of offside from first viewing.
3. I think he understands the nuances and complexities surrounding the predicaments a given team are facing better than other commentators

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
That's quite a meltdown. Have pundits given up any pretense of neutrality? Keown acting like a disgruntled fanboy is quite embarrasing.
Yes. Years ago. Rightly or wrongly, I don't think broadcast companies give a rats about neutrality and impartiality nowadays.

Nickelodeon

Yes. Years ago. Rightly or wrongly, I don't think broadcast companies give a rats about neutrality and impartiality nowadays.
On Sky, you have the likes of Carragher, Neville and Keane who have their obvious affiliations but are never so blatantly biased. Ian Wright referring to Arsenal as "we" is ridiculous to the next level.

stevoc

Exactly. A large chunk of the Liverpool fan channels believe he absolutely hates them even scoring a goal. At this point I’m not sure which club he portrays to like anymore.
He does though, just like every other football fan who doesn't support the Scousers.

redshaw

Instead of going off on Martin Tyler, Keown should be focusing on City and how they're run.

Leg-End

I mean he's 77, fair play to him for continuing his passion and travelling up and down the country.

I am amazed Sky haven't ousted him though, he's well past his best, he can barely talk on the latest Neville podcast thing.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Darren Fletcher
He's the complete opposite of Tyler in that HE ALWAYS RAISES HIS VOICE whenever there is even a sniff OF A CHANCE. After a while it really does get ON MY NERVES.

We need something in between. Who is the other guy at SKY that usually does the 2pm matches, he's quite good.

MiceOnMeth

I mean he's 77, fair play to him for continuing his passion and travelling up and down the country.

I am amazed Sky haven't ousted him though, he's well past his best, he can barely talk on the latest Neville podcast thing.
I think he was just holding in a cough :lol:

Loon

:lol:
I have a feeling this Keown nonsense could be the catalyst for Tyler's departure from Sky. "Freshen things up" and all that, a la Sky Saturday.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Finally, he's been well past it for about 10 years. Doesn't get enthusiastic for goals like a commentator should.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It was time. He really can make any match seem like a dull affair these days