Martin Tyler | Retiring

AFC NimbleThumb

As a long time detractor of the guy, he’s on my feed this evening which is non-Sky & he’s being nowhere near his usual low standards despite a meh first half for us. He’s simply called the game. No ‘It’s live’ or canned one liners.

stevoc

As a long time detractor of the guy, he’s on my feed this evening which is non-Sky & he’s being nowhere near his usual low standards despite a meh first half for us. He’s simply called the game. No ‘It’s live’ or canned one liners.
If only that was the case every game.

mikeyt

I've often watched games with Tyler commentating and thought he was okay. Listening to him in this game v Liverpool two things come to mind...

One - He makes football sound so incredibly boring.
Two - Whether a Liverpool fan boy or not, his ante United is unbelievable. United had exciting moments in this first half yet you'd think we were passing sideways on our halfway line. I mean Bruno's header that just went wide and he doesn't say a word, I mean it was silent for a few seconds until he mumbles 'and Fernandes with a header'. He is a whisker wide and it's like nothing happened.

Sky need to get rid of him now, he's an atrocious commentator not just ante-United but in general. He's actually proving so bad for the game!

KeanoMagicHat

I've often watched games with Tyler commentating and thought he was okay. Listening to him in this game v Liverpool two things come to mind...

Two - Whether a Liverpool fan boy or not, his ante United is unbelievable. United had exciting moments in this first half yet you'd think we were passing sideways on our halfway line. I mean Bruno's header that just went wide and he doesn't say a word, I mean it was silent for a few seconds until he mumbles 'and Fernandes with a header'. He is a whisker wide and it's like nothing happened.

Sky need to get rid of him now, he's an atrocious commentator not just ante-United but in general. He's actually proving so bad for the game!
He was once a great commentator but he’s past his best, he’s 77 now, there’s a reason why we have a retirement age for most jobs. I think his mind just struggles to connect the moment to excitement anymore. People talk about biases but he’s just generally bland for everyone. Listen to him 10-15 years ago and it wasn’t like that at all.

Fr. Todd Unctious

He was once a great commentator but he’s past his best, he’s 77 now, there’s a reason why we have a retirement age for most jobs. I think his mind just struggles to connect the moment to excitement anymore. People talk about biases but he’s just generally bland for everyone. Listen to him 10-15 years ago and it wasn’t like that at all.

Yep. Don't think it's a United thing at all. I he did his excitement thing with the Macheda goals against Villa

Smacky The Frog

The ability of football fans to make everything some conspiracy against their own team never ceases to amaze me. He's past it, he has been for a while now, that's all there is to it. He is exactly the same no matter who's playing - delayed underwhelming reactions to big moments, sudden seemingly forced over-excitement over nothing moments, a general lack of enthusiasm. Even at his best, he was a sucker for whatever he considered the better story/narrative, but he can't even seem to do that properly anymore. He's just an elderly man who's well past his best. Similar thing happened to Marv Albert, a once legendary NBA announcer, who for his last 5 or 6 years before retiring was basically senile. They're now calling it a two-pointer.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Always assumed tyler was a utd fan with his commentary. The benteke vs martial goals the perfect example.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The ability of football fans to make everything some conspiracy against their own team never ceases to amaze me. He's past it, he has been for a while now, that's all there is to it. He is exactly the same no matter who's playing - delayed underwhelming reactions to big moments, sudden seemingly forced over-excitement over nothing moments, a general lack of enthusiasm. Even at his best, he was a sucker for whatever he considered the better story/narrative, but he can't even seem to do that properly anymore. He's just an elderly man who's well past his best. Similar thing happened to Marv Albert, a once legendary NBA announcer, who for his last 5 or 6 years before retiring was basically senile. They're now calling it a two-pointer.
This. He doesn’t hate United. Isn’t this the same commentator that screamed “Yes!!” When Martial scored on his debut?

Liverpool fans also thinks he hates Liverpool. It’s bizarre that some fans don’t realise he’s 1. Massively past it and 2. Is just going for the storyline

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I don’t think he’s biased. For the longest time I was sure he was an Arsenal fan when we had that big rivalry with them.

But actually over the years I’ve started thinking his commentary excitement level equates more to the story and uniqueness of a moment - the unexpected goal, the underdog turning the tide, history being made, that kind of thing.

Martial scoring against Liverpool within minutes of his debut was one such moment. Aguero’s league winning goal (spit). The record breaking result today. And many more examples.

For the longest time he was so drab commentating our games when we were winning as I guess it wasn’t anything new or unique. We won another game/league…nothing new to see here.

But when opponents (like Arsenal) scored against us and made a title race out of it, he’d go mental because it was something new.

Not sure if that makes sense. Still one of my favourite commentators despite his lack of enthusiasm for us most of the time.

Hulme91

Needs taking out the back... well past his sell by date.

Ole'sgunnarwin

He's not biased, he's just not good anymore. Never raises his voice for goals, it's odd.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Firstly, I want to say that I don't think he is biased, at least in a conscious way. For me, he is all about narrative in which he thinks is the best. Therefore, if there is any opportunity of an underdog win or a score that goes against the consensus, he rams that home.

Secondly, he also has the issue that he is 77 now. He simply is past his sell by date as anyone would be at that age (I don't say this in a bad way) as obviously age takes the edge off of everyone in terms of enthusiasm and energy. I mean, seriously, can anyone say that they improve with age outside of things such as knowledge and wisdom etc?

For me the bigger problem with him, is that him and Gray worked extremely well as a pair. Individually, I don't think they're great but as a pair they complimented each other very well as Tyler could do the narrative and Gray could do the enthusiasm; whilst their voice also balanced each other well for a British audience. For me, Tyler hasn't ever been able to rekindle the dynamic he had with Gray which is the primary issue, after those listed above.

eire-red

I don’t think he’s biased. For the longest time I was sure he was an Arsenal fan when we had that big rivalry with them.

But actually over the years I’ve started thinking his commentary excitement level equates more to the story and uniqueness of a moment - the unexpected goal, the underdog turning the tide, history being made, that kind of thing.

Martial scoring against Liverpool within minutes of his debut was one such moment. Aguero’s league winning goal (spit). The record breaking result today. And many more examples.

For the longest time he was so drab commentating our games when we were winning as I guess it wasn’t anything new or unique. We won another game/league…nothing new to see here.

But when opponents (like Arsenal) scored against us and made a title race out of it, he’d go mental because it was something new.

Not sure if that makes sense. Still one of my favourite commentators despite his lack of enthusiasm for us most of the time.
100% agree. He's all for the story and an exciting/novel narrative behind it. Martial is a good example. Sounds like he's celebrating Martial sealing the win, but it's more the young, big money signing coming out of nowhere and silencing all the critics that wrote him off before kicking a ball. He loves that stuff.

sillwuka

Always liked Tyler, his voice is synonymous with the biggest Premier League games over the last 10 years.

You can find an example for every team where he's sounded a bit underwhelmed for certain goals but then the opposite when it's the right moment. It's nothing to do with any bias

Example - the Aguero goal and then the Jie goal against City for Sunderland, he seemed to 'celebrate' both goals.

Chief123

The irony is Liverpool fans hate him because they think he’s anti-Liverpool. Personally I think he’s just too old and it’s become difficult for him to have high energy levels when commentating.

Zoo

The commentary on that Salah penalty miss just now.. it’s time to go.

redshaw

He sounded off on that Brighton goal, a delay then a very unexcited, "Enciso turned it in" then a shaky sounding followup. A combo of getting old and Brighton ruining the story. The commentary didn't match the scenes of the away fans or how well Brighton were doing or the fanfare they've received from Sky.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a few seconds late each time there’s a goal. There’s no enthusiasm, just oh. Goal.

stevoc

Just fecking retire already. Embarrassing commentary.

I mean let's be fair here he's having to commentate on another team putting the final nail into his beloved Arsenals title coffin. And it's live!

I'd find it hard to muster up much enthusiasm either.

TheGame

I mean let's be fair here he's having to commentate on another team putting the final nail into his beloved Arsenals title coffin. And it's live!

I'd find it hard to muster up much enthusiasm either.
That's the point though. Clive Tydesley was a United fan but always had the enthusiasm for other matches. As a commentator you put that to the side.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sometimes you can leave the room and know when a goal is scored. With Tyler you just think someone's missed a long range shot.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He sounded off on that Brighton goal, a delay then a very unexcited, "Enciso turned it in" then a shaky sounding followup. A combo of getting old and Brighton ruining the story. The commentary didn't match the scenes of the away fans or how well Brighton were doing or the fanfare they've received from Sky.
Surely it’s just because he thought it was offside?

cyberman

Just fecking retire already. Embarrassing commentary.

It was clearly on and he’s talking about looking to the assistant. Shows you the hope that he thinks it might be offside as well.

Manncunian

He sounds hoarse and breathless lately too. I don’t think he’ll be able to continue much longer personally. He won’t be commentating come the 2024/25 season.

stevoc

That's the point though. Clive Tydesley was a United fan but always had the enthusiasm for other matches. As a commentator you put that to the side.
Marty's never been great at doing that when it comes to Arsenal.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Martin Keown on Talksport calling him "Anti-Arsenal" just now. :lol: :lol:

Sure you guys on here will love that. Keown claims he was cheerleading for every Brighton counter attack yesterday.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He sounds hoarse and breathless lately too. I don’t think he’ll be able to continue much longer personally. He won’t be commentating come the 2024/25 season.
Could first hear that during covid season with no fans, him panting and out of breath after quick passages of play.

That was three years ago. I get the feeling he wants to hang on and commentate until he's 80.

HarryP

I think VAR has also contributed to the lack of conviction in commentary in general. You risk embarrassment if you go over the top on a goal only to see it chalked off by VAR. I think it's a combination of this and Tyler's age that has lead to a dulling of commentary on goals.

All in all he's still one of the better commentators on Sky. His depth of knowledge and understanding of context is very strong which imo is more important than the ability to raise his voice for a goal.